Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD External Hard drive problems

Options
  • 22-11-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I have a WD External hard drive. It's about 18months old. It has got no abuse, was using it to store movies, music and pictures. But the last time I went to use it, I got a mesage saying my hard drive needed to be formatted. I can't get access to the information saved on it anymore. I didn't format it. I brought it to PC world and they spent about 5 min looking at it and reckoned that the info was still on it, but it needed to be brought to a clean room enviornment to be recovered. This could cost up to 1000 euro I was told.

Anyone with a second opinion out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

ehealo wrote: »
    This could cost up to 1000 euro I was told. Anyone with a second opinion out there?

Well if you do actually need to send it to a data recovery company then I don't know where they get €1000 from. Have a look here for more typical pricing for that sort of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I wouldn't beleive much of what PCW say; there are lots of threads here about data recovery programs you can use yourself, some are free, some aren't. I think most free ones need Windows to see a file system, others, e.g. R-studio,Getdataback can work on a raw disk. Don't forget to recover files to a different drive. You did try restarting the pc completely and re-plugging in the drive ? (Seriously ...)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ehealo

Yes, tried a restart. No joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ehealo

bhickey wrote: »
    Well if you do actually need to send it to a data recovery company then I don't know where they get €1000 from. Have a look here for more typical pricing for that sort of work.

Thanks for that B. I have sent an email to the company you liked to me. Hopefully it will get sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

You could open the drive, case ,put it into a caddy ,cost 20 euro, its most likely a sata drive ,so you,ll need a sata caddy.
    THE board / pcb, going to the hard drive may be damaged,or loosely connected.
    GOOGLE sata drive interface image to confirm its a sata drive.
    see here ,http://www.piriform.com/recuva ,i have a pc ,it will not detect any external drives ,it just says device detected , but my laptop can see any drive, try the drive in a friends pc first or plug into a netcafe pc.ie could be a software problem on your pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

I got a 1TB WD external drive there a few months back - after using it only a few times I managed to damage the small usb socket with a faulty lead that was lying about .

I took the drive out of the case and bought one of these.When I plugged it I got a warning saying that the drive was not formatted.I did a quick format and then a deep scan with Recuva which managed to recover most of the files but not all. About 95% I'm guessing.When the scan was complete I recovered all the files to a drive which I borrowed from a mate.
    The deep scan took about 18 hours on a dual core/2GB ram pc so be prepared to have it running for some time.

Thankfully I had the photos on it backed up - over 10,000 in all and whatever else I could not recover was always replaceable.

This may not be good enough for what you are looking for, but maybe it may help someone in a somewhat similar situation.

Good luck with it
    Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭deremol

I had the same problem with a western digital last week, couldn't see any of the files on it, I got a copy of GetDataBack and managed to recover about 90% of the data from the hard drive.

Hope this helps..

Advertisement