Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

07/12/10 The Budget Day Protest. Are you going?

• 22-11-2010 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Now Biffo has said his piece then going forwards there appears to be only one option left open for us to avoid being governed by incompetent fools until next March.

If they stay now their Budget isn't going to pass in a fit. Far too many potential voters for the other parties are dead against it. Really the right thing for the Clowen just to have done was resign and call a snap election. Because of the markets the last thing the country needs is another four months of uncertainty.

There is a protest outside Leinster House on Budget day calling for an immediate election. Some are just planning on marching there Some are actually planning on physically ejecting the Glorious Leaders here.

Does After Hours think it will skive off work for the day and partake in venting some frustration at our political establishment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

have fun with that.

I'm off to a "last hurray before the budget" party to get hammered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Does After Hours think it will skive off work for the day
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Pointless protest is pointless.

Not to mention damaging. Take your student-y misinformed uprising elsewhere, we need to look stable in front of the bond market, not like crazy thugs throwing the government out of their building.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

I wont go anyway. Don't really want to embarrass our poor little country anymore than our political/union classes have already.

You want a messy protest like Greece's to be broadcast all around the world. Really useful alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I think I'll go to college, just on the off-chance that I will be able to stay on after the budget.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Pointless protest is pointless.

Not to mention damaging. Take your student-y misinformed uprising elsewhere, we need to look stable in front of the bond market, not like crazy thugs throwing the government out of their building.

We won't be going to the bond markets for three years so we can look like what we want. I'm personally going to stop wearing pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The 7th December? The day before the culchie shopping invasion of the capital.The organisers missed a trick there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can't take December 7th away from Pearl Harbor :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I foresee misspelled protest signs popping up in the You Laugh You Lose thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

We won't be going to the bond markets for three years so we can look like what we want. I'm personally going to stop wearing pants.

Well I guess it will be 2013 by then so we will all be dead a year.

Do you think Greece benefited from its images of riots? No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Overheal wrote: »

So you are saying we should bomb Japan?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

Well I guess it will be 2013 by then so we will all be dead a year.

Do you think Greece benefited from its images of riots? No.

Just looked like muppets to be honest. Protesting about not being able to retire in their 50s and loss of various job perks. You can just see it being spun overseas as some public sector protesting about not being 'entitled' to time off work to cash their cheques, or privilege days! Even though I'm pretty sure most of our P.S. wouldn't be anywhere the angry mob, foreign media would still spin it that way.

Please don't go. We've only a little dignity left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But if we protest on Budget Day, we won't hear whats in the Budget, which means we won't know what we're protesting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

futonic wrote: »
    Just looked like muppets to be honest. Protesting about not being able to retire in their 50s and loss of various job perks. You can just see it being spun overseas as some public sector protesting about not being 'entitled' to time off work to cash their cheques, or privilege days! Even though I'm pretty sure most of our P.S. wouldn't be anywhere the angry mob, foreign media would still spin it that way.

Please don't go. We've only a little dignity left.

How could you confuse the French with the Greeks...

They invented gayness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Now Biffo has said his piece then going forwards there appears to be only one option left open for us to avoid being governed by incompetent fools until next March.

If they stay now their Budget isn't going to pass in a fit. Far too many potential voters for the other parties are dead against it. Really the right thing for the Clowen just to have done was resign and call a snap election. Because of the markets the last thing the country needs is another four months of uncertainty.

There is a protest outside Leinster House on Budget day calling for an immediate election. Some are just planning on marching there Some are actually planning on physically ejecting the Glorious Leaders here.

Does After Hours think it will skive off work for the day and partake in venting some frustration at our political establishment?

Isn't there an election in January? Surely we'll get a whole new crowd of incompetent fools before March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Now if they had the budget a day later the protest would be wedged, and everyone would bring flasks a tae and hang sangwidges.....

Shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Mrmoe wrote: »
    So you are saying we should bomb Japan?:D

Holiday in Hawaii I think :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Would disagree, the country is still open for business, how do you think violent protests will look on tv around the world, what impact will it have on tourism and prospective foreign direct investment.

Peaceful protest, yes and not just directed at the govt but tds in general, what I want to hear is that they plan on taking wage reductions and reducing benefits for themselves that bring them in line with an economy and country of our size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

we need to look stable in front of the bond market

So you think having a government until March that can't pass a budget sends the right signals and is going to make us look stable?

Cowen should have called a snap Election. That's what most people were hoping he would do for the good of the country.

Really the best thing for us to do is have one of those colour revolution type events, and then elections in late December or early January. This circus can't be allowed to drag on until March, it oozes uncertainty and sends all the wrong signals.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Isn't there an election in January? Surely we'll get a whole new crowd of incompetent fools before March.

Sadly not, it's looking like we'll have to wait another four months for that honour

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/march-election-date-thought-likely-482830.html

Unless of course we stand up and do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

An event created on facebook has the backing of all major opposition...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

It's that pussy attitude that has allowed this fúcks to get away with everything till now. Let's go out and wreck the shop. Fúck what the world thinks. This country is about as low as it can go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's that pussy attitude that has allowed this fúcks to get away with everything till now. Let's go out and wreck the shop. Fúck what the world thinks. This country is about as low as it can go.
    I guess that'll be the first use for the IMF money; repairing damage by "protestors".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I love how people, once again, don't understand the situation but feel the need to comment.

There doesn't need to be a vote to 'pass' the budget, not all of it at least. Huge chunks of the cuts/taxes can just be applied regardless. Only certain points of it are going to be voted on. Always been that way.

What we need is a change of government before the 8th to make any difference. Most of the FF budget will get through anyway if that doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭coco0981

wreck the shop?? And that will acheive what exactly

I love how people, once again, don't understand the situation but feel the need to comment.

There doesn't need to be a vote to 'pass' the budget, not all of it at least. Huge chunks of the cuts/taxes can just be applied regardless. Only certain points of it are going to be voted on. Always been that way.

What we need is a change of government before the 8th to make any difference. Most of the FF budget will get through anyway if that doesn't happen.

Can't happen, our constitution does not allow for it as far as I know.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Can't happen, our constitution does not allow for it as far as I know.

You may well be right. FF/IMF/ECB taxes and cuts it is!

coco1981 wrote: »
    wreck the shop?? And that will acheive what exactly

A wrecked shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

This thread needs some suitable music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭coco0981

A wrecked shop.
    Good answer, crap idea

You may well be right. FF/IMF/ECB taxes and cuts it is!

Think its down to the notice that has to be given before an election and think its 3 weeks.

As for cuts etc.. sadly you does not matter who is in power, cuts etc will be made :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I'm marching on every peaceful march until FF get out.

I want second eyes on this deal, the euro is very vulnerable, Portugal are right behind us. after that if Spain falls, which it will, it's all over for everyone.

I do not trust Cowen or Lenihan on this. Let's see the reality and take our own informed decision, lets face it we could do a better job than the two amateurs in charge.

Basic business knowledge is to shop around for the best deal. Transparency is essential here.

There is no more reason for rushed decisions. Let's think this over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

But if we protest on Budget Day, we won't hear whats in the Budget, which means we won't know what we're protesting for.
    They don't actually care about anything other than going out for some misinformed protest so they can clash with Gardaí and drink dutch gold all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Sadly not, it's looking like we'll have to wait another four months for that honour

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/march-election-date-thought-likely-482830.html

Unless of course we stand up and do something about it.

Nah, I'll bet a million he's out by January.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

I'll be attending. I hope there are not violent scenes but the government hasn't completely devastated my life entirely just yet and I'm not the violent type, so I certainly will not be standing shoulder to shoulder with any such citizens.

from what I heard this is a general protest about whatever you feel you want to protest against. surely everyone has something they feel they should protest against? these cronies have affected us, our parents, their parents, our kids and their kids.

• Advertisement

coco1981 wrote: »
    Good answer, crap idea

My post was tongue in cheek towards the comments that seemed to associate protesting with rioting and were calling it pointless. It's the typical Irish attitude. Why bother when i can moan on the Internet and get 50 thanks for my done to death comments. This Government have not seen a large scale protest against them with people voicing their opinions. It's always only a small minority that participate. If i was Cowen and i seen only 3 thousand people out protesting i'd be thinking "**** that, the people of Ireland don't really give a fúck whether i quit or not". But if i seen more than 150,000 people out i'd feel a lot more pressure to dissolve before a budget. If more than 100,000 people could turn up for the Iraq anti war protest surely it should be a lot more when it's our own actually country on the line. Nobody knows what a large scale protest would achieve. But yet many Irish people will choose to write it off before it happens.

There doesn't need to be a vote to 'pass' the budget

So why then are all the media making such a big deal of the narrow FF majority with regard to the budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

bc dub wrote: »
    I'll be attending. I hope there are not violent scenes but the government hasn't completely devastated my life entirely just yet and I'm not the violent type, so I certainly will not be standing shoulder to shoulder with any such citizens.

from what I heard this is a general protest about whatever you feel you want to protest against. surely everyone has something they feel they should protest against? these cronies have affected us, our parents, their parents, our kids and their kids.

Great. I'll go then so. I want to protest about the lack of decent club music in Cavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

What's that now?

Folks, FF are gone. You can protest all you want about a budget that you know nothing about, but it won't make any difference.
    The general election is just around the corner, and FF will wash their hands of all wrongdoing afterwards.

If you want to do something about it, then make sure that every politician who calls to your door over the next couple of months knows that you want to see FF and the bankers taken to task over what they have done to this country.
    Tell them that you demand those who brought our country to it's knees are prosecuted in what ever way possible.
    Tell them that you demand that banking regulation is a lot stricter in future.

So why then are all the media making such a big deal of the narrow FF majority with regard to the budget?

Sensationalism.

The media are appealing to the idiot-majority with their "sky is falling" garbage that even they themselves barely understand.

• Advertisement

OisinT wrote: »
    They don't actually care about anything other than going out for some misinformed protest so they can clash with Gardaí and drink dutch gold all day.

Leaving aside the motives and drinking habits of thousands of people you never met, why do you consider protesting against the Government of the day to be misinformed? Have you perhaps recently heard good reports of them we should all be made aware of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Those saying that we should wait til we know what we're protesting about have a point.

That said, the apathy on here has me despairing.

Terry wrote: »
    If you want to do something about it, then make sure that every politician who calls to your door over the next couple of months knows that you want to see FF and the bankers taken to task over what they have done to this country.
    Tell them that you demand those who brought our country to it's knees are prosecuted in what ever way possible.

You left out you want to see them paid a salary and benefits that reflect the size of the country/economy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Terrible movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Terry wrote: »
    What's that now?

Folks, FF are gone. You can protest all you want about a budget that you know nothing about, but it won't make any difference.
    The general election is just around the corner, and FF will wash their hands of all wrongdoing afterwards.

That's basically my plan, there's no point in kicking up a fuss about something that can't be changed, I'm just going to make sure every one of them knows what I think come election day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

No I'll be staying at home....I've no interest in being battered by the "Big Men" Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Imagine this was the Budget Day march except Leinster House being in the place of the British Houses of Parliament at Westminster. A glorious revolution, the foundation of the 2nd Irish Republic. Come comrades! Come and plant the dynamite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What'd the poor building do to anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Imagine this was the Budget Day march except Leinster House being in the place of the British Houses of Parliament at Westminster. A glorious revolution, the foundation of the 2nd Irish Republic. Come comrades! Come and plant the dynamite!
    Yeah vive la revolution! Let's go blow up some stuff.

:eek:

History. You're doing it wrong! Actually it'd be the 7th. (So far declared in 1798, 1803, 1848, 1867, 1916, 1948)

• Advertisement
Advertisement