Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband Rush Co Dublin. Slow!!!

• 22-11-2010 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

My broadband was getting very slow over the past few weeks. I thought maybe my router was a bit old (7 years) and maybe struggling . Bought a new belkin play modem router. Its still no good and getting worse by the minute.
    Can't even watch a youtube video without it buffering. Is anyone in Rush or any other part of the country experiencing a problems with slow connection from UTV. I am on a 3 meg package.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1041136932.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]1041136932.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 donegalnordie

A couple of items that you can troubleshoot to fix your problem:

1 - Is the modem & phone connected to the primary phone line in the house
    2 - Is the PSTN junction box in the hall damaged in any way
    3 - have you replaced all telephone and ethernet cables from modem to PC
    4 - have you replaced the filter to reduce noise on the line

hope this is helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I'm in Swords on UTV and have actually noticed something similar myself. Over the summer I could stream 720p videos on YouTube no problem, but in the last 8 weeks the speed seems to have dropped markedly - I now have to leave 480p videos to buffer for a couple of minutes before I can watch em smoothly.

Probably should have followed it up but don't download anything and 480p doesn't look to different on my monitor, so I don't really notice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Yes, experiencing problems with my UTV broadband for about 2 months now, especially from 8pm onwards - often until 2am! I'm on the 3MB package too. It keeps hanging on webpages with the whirligig turning - even just simple sites with few or no graphics - and nothing happens for minutes at a time. Forget Youtube or anything with pictures/video - it's worse than dial-up then :mad:
    During the day it's not bad - speeds usually around 2MB and very little lagging. I know there's no point ringing CS - you will inevitably get the guy on the phone who insists on going through the 'reboot, switch on/off, check the lights' script, even when you're not actually experiencing the problem at the time. CS is, of course, closed when the problem is happening in real time.
    It may just be a problem with all of the Eircom re-sellers at peak times - I see some Vodafone customers reporting much the same thing here on Boards. Mind you, given the ongoing problems experienced by most Vf customers since the change from BT, it would be hard to identify what exactly is causing any of their problems :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Domscard wrote: »
    Yes, experiencing problems with my UTV broadband for about 2 months now, especially from 8pm onwards - often until 2am! I'm on the 3MB package too. It keeps hanging on webpages with the whirligig turning - even just simple sites with few or no graphics - and nothing happens for minutes at a time. Forget Youtube or anything with pictures/video - it's worse than dial-up then :mad:
    During the day it's not bad - speeds usually around 2MB and very little lagging. I know there's no point ringing CS - you will inevitably get the guy on the phone who insists on going through the 'reboot, switch on/off, check the lights' script, even when you're not actually experiencing the problem at the time. CS is, of course, closed when the problem is happening in real time.
    It may just be a problem with all of the Eircom re-sellers at peak times - I see some Vodafone customers reporting much the same thing here on Boards. Mind you, given the ongoing problems experienced by most Vf customers since the change from BT, it would be hard to identify what exactly is causing any of their problems :P

If we switch back to Eircom do you think it would improve?
    I have UTV for the free UK calls but I don't need them anymore.
    If you ring UTV and ask about slow speed the first response is " if we send Eircom out to check you line and its not our fault, you will have to pay 80 Euro. Not great support!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

If we switch back to Eircom do you think it would improve?
    I have UTV for the free UK calls but I don't need them anymore.
    If you ring UTV and ask about slow speed the first response is " if we send Eircom out to check you line and its not our fault, you will have to pay 80 Euro. Not great support!

CS support appears to be a weakness with every provider, as far as I can make out from posts on Boards - pick your poison;) I have no idea if it would improve with anyone else - I've always been with UTV internet and have lived with the ups and downs of the service (and sometimes complained - with mixed results).
    The biggest problem with changing from UTV is having to pay a fee to leave, whether you're in or out of contract :( The minimum get-out payment is something like €30. I renewed my contract a few months ago, so I'd be paying something like €60 and/or a few months of payments.
    I have the feeling it's all much of a muchness with Eircom or its resellers and that's the only choice I have here. My speed is ok tonight and not much lagging, so I'm taking it one day at a time. I keep an eye on the competition and any new options that appear - if and when I am satisfied of a better deal, I'll move.

• Advertisement
Advertisement