Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing for Print- CMYK?

Options
  • 22-11-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Did a mock up in photoshop, now the client wants it printed in the paper etc.
    So i redesigned it in illustrator, obviously started off as CMYK. When i open the jpeg the colours look faded, i assume it will look fine in print?

Saying that, i just got home and opened the .ai file here and colours look faded in the ai file? could it be it reading a different CMYK profile ?

whats the best way to go about this?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭site designer

Dont use jpeg compression for images going for print! sorry but jpeg is for online only, use a lossless compression or umcompressed. (PNG TIFF)

Im not saying this is the reason for color loss, but jpg is only 3 channel color, so convert from ai to tiff it has 4 channels.

the conversion process is most likely doing this all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

They want the *.ai files but also highres and low res images so was gonna go for jpeg, but i guess PNG is the obvious choice.

Im gonna assume that colors look odd on my pc because i didnt embed the colour profile. Back in work however i hope everything works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Lots of colours will look flat when you convert from RGB to CMYK, as they are completely different colour models and some RGB colours simply cannot be replicated in the 4 colour printing process. This is why spot colours (special inks) are used. Convert an illuminous green (RGB) colour to CMYK to see how flat it really can go.

Depending on whether you are printing digital or litho, I suggest you keep the images at a minimum res of 250dpi. TIFF or EPS files are ideal and the images should be CMYK. Steer clear of JPG images for print.

Advertisement