Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whos going Over the border for Christmas Shopping? to avoid being ripped off

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

davo10 wrote: »
    I cannot understand why at a time when all businesses are trying to compete with other countries, the Government has decided to increase VAT. the UK is increasing VAT in January and this would have narrowed the gap in prices.

Exports won't be affected by the change in V.A.T. as B2B export sales to V.A.T. registered businesses are exempt from V.A.T. and consumers will be charged the V.A.T. in their local country

The price differences between ROI and NI aren't that great at the moment due to the poor exchange rate and the general reduction in prices in the Republic.

I think that the number of people travelling to the North to shop has gone down a lot this year. I was in Newry on Saturday and there were very few ROI cars around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

davo10 wrote: »
    I cannot understand why at a time when all businesses are trying to compete with other countries, the Government has decided to increase VAT. the UK is increasing VAT in January and this would have narrowed the gap in prices.

they're not doing it until 2013 and as it won't be FF in government then it is little more than a proposal. The VAT difference will narrow in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

samina wrote: »
    eh ok then, but if it was just a couple of euros i wouldnt be going

besides ive said what i can get reasonable down here i will get it, retailers show me value for money i give them my money!

do your research properly - you'll be very surprised. (even my local gala has coke at 2 x 2l for €3)

don't forget to use the real exchange rate and multiply all sterling prices by 1.21 to get to the euro price.

i believe tv3 have done a comparison programme on prices and its being aired on wednesday evening. - and they're saying that the results are surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

I was in belfast for a family do over the weekend and did a bit of shopping ... there are not many bargains to be had in reality .. pricing is more or less on a par with here .. apart from booze and some groceries.

Advertisement