Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem converting .AI to .PNG

Options
  • 22-11-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi all hoping some one can help.

I have a few Illustrator drawings which I need to convert to PNG.
    I can export it at around 75 dpi but I need it at least 200 dpi. When I do this I get an error message.
    When I go 'save for web and devices' I can only see a small section of the image. As if it's zoomed in on the centre. Same thing happens when I open it as a PDF. I've tried making the entire drawing smaller but it doesn't look right.
    I've also changed everything to RGB.

I'm new to illustrator so I'm hoping there's a simple solution to this.

Cheers,
    F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

its zoomed in at the center because thats the correct scale.
    Go ahead and save the image for web and it will be correct, that is IF you have enough memory. Seems like an out of memory issue to me about the simple export at high quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 f.daly

It's not really zoomed in. Only a small section of the image is actually converted. This is what happens when I 'Save for web and devices'. Is there a way of changing the scale so that the entire image is converted?

When I try to export I get an error message saying "Could not complete this operation. The rasterized image exceeded the maximum bounds for saving to the PNG format". There's plenty of memory on the computer.

Thanks for the quick reply. Hope I'm making sense here.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

Don't "Save for web and Devices" I think that places limits on file size/resolution.

Use plain "Export" further down the "File" context menu and drop down to .png in the save as type dialog.

Dirty hack if that doesn't work is save as pdf, open in photoshop and save from there as .png.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Your document profile is probably set to Web. Open a new file in Illustrator, set the document profile to Print, that should make the output resolution 300dpi.

Or if that doesn't work try scaling the artwork up by 400% in Illustrator then save it as a png, open Photoshop and reduce the physical size to 25% of original size (not the resolution) that should mean the png is 300dpi

I think I know what the problem is. The image is way too big to export.
    The reason I could only see a small section of the image when I exported it was because the Artboard only covered a small section of the drawing. When I expand the Artboard over the entire drawing it's more more than 3sqm :eek:

Is there a way of rescaling the entire image down so it's 500mm by 500mm?

Cheers,
    F

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved from Software Design.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GSV

Select the whole thing by dragging a box over it.
    Hold shift so you retain the aspect ratio.
    Drag one corner down till you have the required size.

Simple as that. Thanks a million

That's not working either.
    The image is so big that it becomes distorted when I resize it. All the different layers are not resizing in proportion.
    Is there a way to rescale everything so that it's still in proportion?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

i would say first in the drop down menu in the layers palette click Unlock All Layers. Then in the Select menu click on All. Then double click the Scale tool. Ensure 'uniform' is checked and 'scale stroke and effects' is checked. Type in say 20% for the scale and hit ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

if you're converting it to a png you dont have to scale anything in illustrator. just save the file as an EPS file, open that in photoshop at 200 dpi or whatever size you want and save it there as a PNG. If you open a .AI file in photoshop it opens it according to the document size but if you use an EPS it opens all the objects even if they are outside the document size in illustrator.

Worked like a dream. Cheers:pac:

Advertisement