Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

4GB vs 250GB

• 22-11-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying an Xbox 360. Is the 4GB model worth getting or would I be better of going for the 250GB model?
    The answer is probably obvious - the 250GB! Especially if I want to save media onto it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Stephen P wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying an Xbox 360. Is the 4GB model worth getting or would I be better of going for the 250GB model?
    The answer is probably obvious - the 250GB! Especially if I want to save media onto it.

you answered your own thread basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

You've just asked and answered your question.

250gb all the way, although I like the 4gb matte finish better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I think you get more with the 250GB but I just don't know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

but you can't put your own media (from PC etc) onto it. I bought a 250gb, I have no intention of downloading movies or music through the Xbox... What a waste..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Listen everyone! I work on the xbox web site and make note the 4GB xbox is flash memory not a hard drive! So for example Halo Reach Co-Op is not possible because you need a hard drive plus your USB key wont be any good either.

MS are suppose to be trying to fix it but what about 3rd Party games will they bother?? I dunno...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/15/halo-reach-co-op-requires-hard-drive-4gb-xbox-360-slims-have-t/

Get the 250GB HD its only 50 quid - End of story........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Your just better off with the 250gb, you may not think you'd need the space but **** just adds up the more you go, downloads, media, updates and you can load games onto the HDD to speed up load times and make it quiter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Thanks for all the replies and I did answer my own question :o
    I can't see myself downloading movies but maybe demos. The 4GB model seems not enough especially for game saves. The 250GB seems the way to go especially if I ever use it to download content. I might regret getting the 4GB.
    Thanks again guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

install every game you play on the 250 and it will run much much quieter asw.el. and some games require download updates to go online to the space is always handy. thinking about getting one of these myself if i get some money together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Anyone know how difficult or possible it is to upgrade the 4Gb with a HD from an old xbox.
    Apparently hds for the new 360s are only available in the US and in 250Gb capacity. Older drives are not compatible.
    But I have heard it is possible to squeeze an old hd (perhaps with the aid of a small hammer) Are the connections same or different.

Anyone tried?

Bit of a nuisance if Halo Coop is restricted by lack of full HD

Just answered my own question in that it does appear possible to fit an old xbox drive (maybe any?) in the HD slot. Standard Sata connector inside. Break the old hd out of the plastic case and take apart. Sits in the slot but without any support housing so could be a bit wobbly, nmight be worth fashioning a support casing from an old laptop say, and adding a pull loop to get it out again.

Rumours of possible banning for using HD like thus, any idea?

Also, any guidelines on how to set up and format a standard laptop drive to work? Whats the compatibility like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

wil wrote: »
    Anyone know how difficult or possible it is to upgrade the 4Gb with a HD from an old xbox.
    Apparently hds for the new 360s are only available in the US and in 250Gb ?[capacity. Older drives are not compatible.
    But I have heard it is possible to squeeze an old hd (perhaps with the aid of a small hammer) Are the connections same or different.

Anyone tried?

Just answered my own question in that it does appear possible to fit an old xbox drive (maybe any?) in the HD slot. Standard Sata connector inside. Break the old hd out of the plastic case and take apart. Sits in the slot but without any support housing so could be a bit wobbly, nmight be worth fashioning a support casing from an old laptop say, and adding a pull loop to get it out again.

Also, any guidelines on how to set up and format a standard laptop drive to work? Whats the compatibility like
    Who said hdd from old x360 are no compatibile?Are they?Are sure?
    Becasue i have in my 4gb 60gb Hdd from x360 few games on it and is fully compatibile.
    Compatybility issues are in disk enclosure nothing else ;).
    So buy cheap disk from old type enclosure and fit into 4gb and after have 4gb for saves etc. extra free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

wil wrote: »
    Apparently hds for the new 360s are only available in the US and in 250Gb capacity. Older drives are not compatible.

Anyone tried?

Also, any guidelines on how to set up and format a standard laptop drive to work? Whats the compatibility like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0NhKgRC2tg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

rizzla wrote: »
    You've just asked and answered your question.

250gb all the way, although I like the 4gb matte finish better.
    Best solution all round is the Reach 360 :) 250GB and nice matt silver finish

woulda been nice to know about the HDD dismantling for the old to new xbox

kinnect 4gb HDD is 250 which is not a bad deal at all, the old 120hdd was great and woulda done nicely for storage on the new xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

-=al=- wrote: »
    woulda been nice to know about the HDD dismantling for the old to new xbox

kinnect 4gb HDD is 250 which is not a bad deal at all, the old 120hdd was great and woulda done nicely for storage on the new xbox
    Daraa wrote: »
    LoL

pesky micro$oft up to the old tricks i tells ya

Advertisement