Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shepard's pie

Options
  • 22-11-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Im looking to see some peoples recipes :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This could get interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I know what you're waiting for... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

My two special ingredients are wholegrain honey mustard and believe it or not............. celery. These two make for an unbelievably tastey Shepards Pie. I'll post the full receipe later if anyone is interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'll put an end to the suspense, lol.

OP, depending on whether you use lamb or beef it will either be shepherd's pie or cottage pie, though in my family we've always used beef and called it shepherd's pie (we're rebels!)
    Here's my recipe:

1lb of lean minced beef/lamb
    2 medium carrots, diced
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 pint of hot water
    2 red Oxo cubes
    A teaspoon of tomato puree
    A dessertspoon of flour - any kind
    A dash of Worcestershire Sauce if you have it
    A pinch of mixed herbs
    Fry the onion and carrot in a little oil over a low heat until they start to soften. Turn up the heat and add the minced beef/lamb, fry until browned. Sprinkle on the flour and stir well over a low heat for a minute. Pour on the stock made with the Oxo cubes and hot water and stir well. Add the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and herbs then season with salt and black pepper (not too much salt!). Stir well and add a little more hot water if it looks too thick. Simmer for around 30 minutes.
    Place in an oven-proof dish and cover with potatoes mashed with real butter and milk until light and fluffy, and drag a fork across the top to rough it up. Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees, gas mark 5.
    For a change you can cover it with new potatoes sliced thickly and boiled until tender. Place them overlapping on top of the meat sauce and brush with oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's pretty much my recipe too, except I add some chopped celery to the carrot and onion, and I add the tomato purée before adding the flour and cook it out a bit. Towards the end of the cooking I also add a handful of frozen peas and a good amount of chopped flat-leaf parsley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I'll get laughed at for this one but here it goes - Express busy work day shepards pie!!

1 can of Campbell’s condensed vegetable soup
    450g of mince
    1 medium onion
    2 cloves Garlic
    Mushrooms
    OXO cube
    Red sauce
    Brown sauce

Method:

Fry off mince, onion & Garlic.
    Empty can of soup + mixed OXO into pot.
    Chop mushrooms and put in pot.
    Put mince, onion & garlic in pot.
    Add in a dash of ketchup & brown sauce, simmer.
    Boil spuds & mash.
    Place mince in oven dish and top with mash.
    Top off with cheese and bake for 30 minutes (180c)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I will actually stand behind the campbells soup recipe. Its not AS good as made from scratch but its not far off! If you're stuck for time/not fond of cooking it's your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Very similar indeed to Dizzyblonde's recipe.

600g beef mince (I guess I make cottage pie and not shepherd's, as lamb is too expensive)
    2 carrots, finely chopped
    2 onions, finely chopped
    Soy sauce, 1 tbsp approx
    Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp, approx
    Tomato puree, 1 heaped tbsp
    Flour, 1 heaped tbsp
    2 Oxo beef cubes, crumbled
    Large splash of hot water
    Plenty of salt and pepper

Potatoes, peeled and cubed
    Milk
    Butter
    Salt
    Grated cheddar

Put your spuds on to boil.

Add meat and vegetables to a large pan and stir fry until the meat is browned and the vegetables are tender. Pour off any excess fat from the meat.

Add all of the other ingredients, stir, simmer and taste. If it seems lacking, add some more salt, puree or Worcestershire sauce. If it seems dry, add a little more water. Allow it to simmer while you mash your spuds.

When your potatoes are tender, drain. Mash until creamy with butter, milk and salt.

Place your meat mixture in a single layer in a lasagna dish. Top with your mashed potato and scour with a fork. Sprinkle with graded cheddar and bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 30-40 mins, or until golden and bubbling.

Eat with joy in your heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If I cooked mine at 200C for 40 mins in my oven, I'm pretty sure I'd be eating charcoal! Everything is already cooked when you put it in the oven, so 15-20 mins at 180 is more than enough to put a bit of a crust on the mash, I'd say.

murphym7 wrote: »
    I'll get laughed at for this one but here it goes - Express busy work day shepards pie!!

1 can of Campbell’s condensed vegetable soup
    450g of mince
    1 medium onion
    2 cloves Garlic
    Mushrooms
    OXO cube
    Red sauce
    Brown sauce

Method:

Fry off mince, onion & Garlic.
    Empty can of soup + mixed OXO into pot.
    Chop mushrooms and put in pot.
    Put mince, onion & garlic in pot.
    Add in a dash of ketchup & brown sauce, simmer.
    Boil spuds & mash.
    Place mince in oven dish and top with mash.
    Top off with cheese and bake for 30 minutes (180c)

Mine is similar, but I just add the soup, onions & peas to the mince (beef to make Cottage Pie) It's actually very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Get some baked beans in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Traditionally, shepherds pie is made from left over roast lamb or mutton, ground up, combined with the left over gravy and maybe some vegetables - probably onions and tomatoes (I like to add lots of roast veg - probably not at all traditional) and topped with mashed potato. It is a way of using up leftover Sunday roast.

Anything made with raw minced beef is NOT shepherds pie - it is, as already stated, cottage pie - no matter what your family called it when you were growing up.

The same as above made with raw minced lamb is not really shepherds pie either - it has a totally different texture to shepherds pie - I don't know what you'd call that, correctly.

A pie made with left over roast beef is very nice too and, in my opinion, much close to what a shepherds pie should be than a pie made with raw minced lamb.

However, all four dishes can be lovely if well made but only one of them can be correctly called shepherds pie!

Rant over (again)!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Thanks a million everyone , what a good thread :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

I have tried and tested this recipe and it's sensational!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/comfortingcottagepie_14505

Rant over (again)!

Hehe! You held back for a WHOLE day :P

Advertisement