Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

photography /legal matters

• 22-11-2010 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Is it ok to publish a picture of a person watching a parade without her permission. The picture was taken on the street .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Define "published" - Commercial or someone throws it up onto a web site / flickr / pix.ie ?

In general if you are in a public place then you will be fair game. If you are on private property, or if there is a reasonable expectation of privacy then the legals may find in your favour.

Commercial publication should you be the main subject of the image and you will have a reasonable case to seek damages.

Eitherways, have you requested from the photographer that it be removed if its unsettled someone?

/need more info.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

4440854561_c3950fe658_z.jpg
    DSC_5308 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    This was taken at last years Saint Patrick's Day Parade in Greystones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TEN BEARS

I am the Photographer, I took a nice shot of a young girl (15yrs approx.)on St Patricks day, she had a shamrock (transfer) on her cheek, lovely shot.
    thinking of entering it in competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I don't know what the legalities are in your case. Will the organisers wish to use your photo in the future for any commercial purpose ? Its really a minefield and you probably would need sound legal advice rather than "off the top of the head" opinions that you may get on a forum like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TEN BEARS

Ok thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Try over here. Some good info.

Unfortunately I think it will be down to interpretation.

Check if the competition organisers state that they want/need model releases if there are people identifiable in your entry -- such a condition wouldn't be unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you wish to enter it into a competition you are entitled to. (under the terms of "art" - you do not need a model release)

if the promoters wish to use the image for commercial purposes - they need to seek a model release.

(it could be worth adding a note in when submitting the pic for competition - that you do not have a model release - but for the purposes of the competition you believe you are allowed to submit your piece of art - let their legal team figure out if they can use it or not)

NOTE: This is not legal advice - just my interpretation of the situation.

Check the terms and conditions of competition entry (ie. model release required, copyright etc etc)

EDIT: Does the girl know she was photographed at the time ? - if so then you can definately enter it, I would be 95% certain you can enter it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Something like this ?

3363690524_c6af5c9cf6_m.jpg

I think PCPhoto has a very good reading of the situation, and you should be alright.

Advertisement