Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak detection in hollow core

• 23-11-2010 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Is there a piece of kit you can hire or resaonably priced bit of kit that will aid water leak detection in a hollow core slab between two apts. Basiclly there is staining on the ceiling plaster slab, when removed it reveled a very slow leak coming out of the hollow core slab due to a mushroom fixing(that has rotten away) that is holding on a baton. Before I kango out a section of the slab to stick a scope camera in, is there any better/neater way to source the start/direction of the leak.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 leakman

Can you establish first if there are any pipes or services in the vicinity before you call in leak detection experts as i don't think you can hire the equipment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Morning LM, there are no services etc on this line or over head. More than likely the problem is going to be an uncovered outside balcony for the apt above as the cores run right out from the building to make up a canter lever type balcony. Up to now what we would normally do is drill a hole in the offending ceiling and put a scope type camera up. I have heard of someone using a low voltage system that electrifies the leak where it is exiting which in turn allows you to follow the line with a meter of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 leakman

Hav'nt heard of that method, only know of acoustically checking all pipes in the area for leaks

Advertisement