Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

harris hawk (falconry)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Lovely, well done, would the Hawke not pounce on the ferret/polecat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Awesome stuff Jelly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭blackwater doc

come on up all u want in co.waterford bring all the birds theres no shortage of rabbits

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Lovely, well done, would the Hawke not pounce on the ferret/polecat?

She is good with the ferrets and wouldn't bother with them when she is feeding but you have to keep a sharp eye on her all the same.

come on up all u want in co.waterford bring all the birds theres no shortage of rabbits

I would love to take you up on that but it might be a bit late in the year for ferreting,what you think?
    Where in Waterford are you mate?

• Advertisement

I'm still looking for some land to do some ferreting on with Willow next season.If anyone can help me out with some permission I would be very grateful.

ATB Wayne

Here's a few more pics

P3230366.jpg

P3200105.jpg

P3200106.jpg

P3200091.jpg

DSCF1994.jpg

P3230354.jpg

Got the new season off to a nice start yesterday with a bit of ferreting and Willow bagged 2 rabbits and my brothers hawk got 1.

A few pics
    Photo0172.jpg

Photo0173.jpg

Photo0174.jpg

Photo0175.jpg

Photo0176.jpg

Photo0177.jpg

Got back out again on Sunday with Willow and she bagged another rabbit.

A few pics
    DSCF2432.jpg

DSCF2431.jpg

DSCF2430.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 baikilpm

hi jelly i live in west wicklow and have lots of rabbit land permissions.. i have no experience with hawks but would love to watch them work.. i dont work ferrets but i have a mate that does.. we either shoot over them or run the lurchers on them.. so if u were down this erea during the season id have no problem bringing u to a few spots... paul'

Hi Paul cheers,we would be more than happy to arranged a days hunting up your way.I can arrange for my brother to bring his bird and ill bring mine.We'll have ferrets also.So if you like you can pm me your number and ill give you a ring and we'll come up some Saturday or Sunday.

ATB Wayne

• Advertisement

Finished work at 1 today, got Willow boxed up and collected David to go to some new land.When we got there we saw 2 rabbits on a lane and taught this might be good.We decided to walk the land to see what was about before we did any ferreting.I got Willow 4 slips and she nailed 3 rabbits,all slips from about 30 yards.They where the handiest 3 rabbits she will ever get.The place is walking with myxi.We saw about 20 rabbits just walking around.It would have been by far the best rabbit ground we have.Maybe it will clear up and we will still get some good hunting there this winter. A quick chat to the farmer on the way out and he told us the first myxi rabbit he saw was about 3 weeks ago.

A few pics
    DSCF2435.jpg

DSCF2436.jpg

DSCF2438.jpg

DSCF2441.jpg

DSCF2445.jpg

The season is going well so far and we got the pheasant season off to a nice start with Willow bagging a cock bird.

A few pics
    DSCF2449.jpg

DSCF2450.jpg

DSCF2452.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

what happens if a hen is flushed

If a hen is flushed while the bird is following on she will chase it just the same as a cock.

We decided to take the ferrets out on Sunday.We got to the farm at about 2pm and headed off.We started off by doing some burrows along a lane.We put the ferrets down and while we where waiting I saw a rabbit about 50 yards up the lane and I slipped Willow.She pumped all the way and hit the rabbit in cover but no joy.So recalled her and got back to the lads when a rabbit bolted and she was off again and this time got her rabbit.The ferrets where still down and the buck killed at the opening of the burrow and we had our second rabbit. Things didnt really go to plan for a while after that, with the rabbits not bolting cleanly.We moved up to higher ground and we where having a break with Willow sitting in a tree.We needed a break after walking up these hills but Willow went up on the soar then closed her wings and dropped rite back down to the very bottom of this land and put a rabbit flying into the air and nailed it at the second go and she had her second rabbit of the day.As I got to her Rosie was over head and she crashed into cover after a rabbit that had ran in but no joy.After a long walk back up we put the ferrets down the next burrow but again the rabbits wouldnt bolt clear of cover so we said we would call it a day.On our way back to the jeep we saw a rabbit so my brother slipped Rosie and she nailed this one.So she had her rabbit and was fed up.I walked on and saw a rabbit out in the field and slipped Willow,she hit this rabbit some thump and had her third rabbit of the day and was fed up.We ended the day with 5 rabbits,4 for the birds and 1 for the ferrets.

A few pics of willow on her first two rabbits
    DSCF5008.jpg

DSCF5009.jpg

DSCF5010.jpg

DSCF5011.jpg

Rosie on her rabbit and the lads
    DSCF5013.jpg

DSCF5015.jpg

Willow on her third rabbit of the day
    DSCF5016.jpg

DSCF5018.jpg

Tried something new with Willow the last week or so,we have been doing a bit of lamping.We have been out 3 times and Willow had killed on 2 trips out now.

A few pics
    DSCF5030.jpg

DSCF5031.jpg

DSCF5027.jpg

DSCF5026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭andrew dickenson

lovely bird you have pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

What area are you hunting in.Looks like Tinahely, and Shillelagh countryside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Nice looking Bird, i'll bet you get sick of people asking you 'Will he come back to you?"

Is she an imprint? where did you get her?

Thanks Andrew.

No not Tinahely or Shilleagh but its Wicklow alright Welsummer.

Yeah Deeksofdoom I get that alot and no not an imprint.I got her from a breeder in Manchester.

• Advertisement

The last few times we have been out we have run into a few squirrel and last week Willow managed to nail one.Very exciting chases trough the trees but also dangerous for the bird.

A few pics
    DSCF2434-1.jpg

DSCF2435-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Savage pics! great to see. Do you take any video's?

Savage pics! great to see. Do you take any video's?

Video's is something i would like to do but no not done any as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭.243

Thanks Andrew.

No not Tinahely or Shilleagh but its Wicklow alright Welsummer.
    looks like the top of ballinabarney before the beehive :D

.243 wrote: »
    looks like the top of ballinabarney before the beehive :D

You are spot on thats where it is.

Was out the last few days with the birds and ran into a few squirrels and happy to say we got two more.I have to say they are tough as they come and are all muscle.

A few pics
    DSCF2439-1.jpg

DSCF2437-1.jpg

DSCF2438-1.jpg

DSCF2441-1.jpg

DSCF2442-1.jpg

DSCF2443-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

are you not afraid of them chomping down on you hawlks leg and doing a bit of damage

welsummer wrote: »
    are you not afraid of them chomping down on you hawlks leg and doing a bit of damage

Yeah that is a real danger alright.She has had a bit from one already this year but nothing to bad.

Well the season has started again and our first day ferreting was a good one.All 3 hawks we had out where in good form and had some kills.The ferrets had there share too and we ended the day with a nice bag.
    A few pics.
    DSCF2103_zpsaa5937c7.jpg

DSCF2106_zpsaab1e144.jpg

DSCF2108_zps80448eb3.jpg

DSCF2109_zpse80a7153.jpg

DSCF2116_zpse93267ba.jpg

DSCF2114_zpscd17ebf2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Lookin well Wayne have to meet up next week and il try flyin my bird with yours and the lads see what they think of her
    Il give ya a ring if I'm headin up ur way durin the week alri

Advertisement