Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

harris hawk (falconry)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ape Owners

A good day out wayne,thanks for it.It's great to be back out at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭JD Green

Nice birds, would they be too small for fox cubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

JD Green wrote: »
    European eagle owl or Bengal eagle owl is the lad for foxes
    In sayin that Harris hawks take on hares which are a decent size
    My own bird has chased them but just hadn't had her red bull that day so speed wasn't with her
    But foxes have teeth and ain't afraid to use them

European eagle owl or Bengal eagle owl is the lad for foxes
    In sayin that Harris hawks take on hares which are a decent size
    My own bird has chased them but just hadn't had her red bull that day so speed wasn't with her
    But foxes have teeth and ain't afraid to use them

Are there many of those in Ireland?

I didn't think they'd have the speed or stamina for a hare, would they only get one chance at a strike?

I mean cubs on their first day out ;)

I still would never risk it tho
    In sayin that Harris hawk don't always have to be on the glove they follow you in the field and if it spots somethin it think it can take on there's no stopping them
    When the hunting ban came in for foxes in England lads had a loophole in it and started using eagle owls and golden eagles

• Advertisement

I still would never risk it tho
    In sayin that Harris hawk don't always have to be on the glove they follow you in the field and if it spots somethin it think it can take on there's no stopping them
    When the hunting ban came in for foxes in England lads had a loophole in it and started using eagle owls and golden eagles

I know what you mean, how much are they worth roughly?

Would they ever not come back to you an ddo they retrieve or start eating?

I remember seeing that in Fieldsports Britian alright, it looked like good craic.

Prices differ but main thing to remember it is not easy
    If you Havint got the time don't bother
    Need to get a mentor and read as many books as u can
    It's not easy developing the bond is important and trust aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

JD Green wrote: »

Thanks JD and that bird feeding on her kill in the pics has chased a adult fox but I hate to think what would have happened if she had of went for the kill.I think she knew better but she has attacked a mates terrier before and tried to kill it.Now as for fox cubs of the age you are talking about wouldn't stand a chance against her but I would never put her onto a fox cub.A goldie is the job if you want to hunt foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Fab Hawk, can I ask you how does one get into Hawking, love birds, had a hand reared Sulpher Cockatoo for years, I hunt now and my missus is afraid of dogs, so I would be really interested in a bird. Tks :)

Hows things,the best thing for anyone wanting to get into this sport is to find someone in your area and get out with them to see whats involved in keeping and hunting with a hawk.It takes up alot of time but is worth every min.

ATB Wayne

• Advertisement

Fab Hawk, can I ask you how does one get into Hawking, love birds, had a hand reared Sulpher Cockatoo for years, I hunt now and my missus is afraid of dogs, so I would be really interested in a bird. Tks :)
    Afraid of dogs? A hawk will leave a lot more scars trust me ain't that right Wayne
    I swear my hawk is trying to draw a map on my arm lol
    Wayne is spot on best thing to do is find someone in your area to teach you basics and tag along on a hunt do the ferretin for them I live in tallaght but only in my second year so I wouldn't exactly be the person to teach you just yet
    First off is to get the hawks enclosure sorted and apply for the licence in which a ranger will come out to inspect the enclosure
    Read as many books as you can and online look around
    lads will help u out as much as they can includin myself but best thing is only listen to one person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Afraid of dogs? A hawk will leave a lot more scars trust me ain't that right Wayne
    I swear my hawk is trying to draw a map on my arm lol
    Wayne is spot on best thing to do is find someone in your area to teach you basics and tag along on a hunt do the ferretin for them I live in tallaght but only in my second year so I wouldn't exactly be the person to teach you just yet
    First off is to get the hawks enclosure sorted and apply for the licence in which a ranger will come out to inspect the enclosure
    Read as many books as you can and online look around
    lads will help u out as much as they can includin myself but best thing is only listen to one person

Thats good info tks, where can I get a good book to start with or can you recomend s good one, I presume from handling birds they only have one master ?

You will find alot of books on ebay uk and I think the Emma Ford book,Falconry Art and Practice is a good book to start with.

We had another great days ferreting yesterday with the birds.All 3 birds nailing some rabbits again and the ferrets getting in on the action also.We ended the day with eight in the bag.

A few pics
    DSCF2133_zps1caa556c.jpg

DSCF2137_zpsd1121bea.jpg

DSCF2138_zps3fa3e5f9.jpg

DSCF2140_zpsb2739b9d.jpg

DSCF2141_zps9e384f53.jpg

DSCF2150_zps3be28cca.jpg

DSCF2151_zps64478266.jpg

Looks like a good day

We where out again on Monday,just myself and a mate and his ferrets.We bagged 3 rabbits,the hawk getting 2 and the ferret get the other 1.The bird had a nice few slips and did well to bag her two rabbits.A good day out and nice weather to go with it.

A few pics
    DSCF2153_zpsaa12ffdd.jpg

DSCF2156_zps519d63be.jpg

DSCF2163_zps2e2df3e8.jpg

Just a few pics of some more of Willow kills this year.

A few from a nights lamping
    DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

A pheasant from a few weeks back
    DSCF0048.jpg

A rabbit she got today
    DSCF0093_zps654d1d66.jpg

DSCF0094_zps55971fee.jpg

look well this year

this is AIFRIC
    the new bird

09373646.jpg

Looks a fine bird Aaron,best of luck with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

what kind of bird is this,? HE IS A BEAUT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

charlie10 wrote: »
    what kind of bird is this,? HE IS A BEAUT!

SHE is a female harris hawk

Looks a fine bird Aaron,best of luck with her.
    Cheers Wayne
    She flies at 2.3 and 3/4 seems to have more Interest in feather more than fur still no kills yet been very unlucky yesterday with a rabbit ending with a very sore arse but lucky escape

Cheers Wayne
    She flies at 2.3 and 3/4 seems to have more Interest in feather more than fur still no kills yet been very unlucky yesterday with a rabbit ending with a very sore arse but lucky escape

You'll get her entered soon enough,its only a matter of getting her the rite slip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

She flies at 2.3 and 3/4
    You'll get her entered soon enough,its only a matter of getting her the rite slip.

I love watching these types of birds fly although I have never seen them in the field only at game fairs.
    Could ye explain what ye mean by the quotes above, cause it has gone straight over my head :o

dev110 wrote: »

I love watching these types of birds fly although I have never seen them in the field only at game fairs.
    Could ye explain what ye mean by the quotes above, cause it has gone straight over my head :o
    No problem
    She flies at 2pound 3 and 3/4 ounce
    Basically she reacts to my calls a lot quicker at this weight and she is kept between 2 pound 3 to 2 pound 4 as weight management is the most important thing in falconry
    When he said il get her entered soon enough just finding the right slip
    Entered is gettin her first kill be it fur or feather
    A slip is the releasing of the bird at said quarry
    Atb

fine looking bird there aaron.. heard its one of kens. atb with her for the season.

Ape Owners wrote: »
    fine looking bird there aaron.. heard its one of kens. atb with her for the season.
    Yeah one of kens
    Shes a P/R from one of his goshawks
    Showing very good signs of a great bird to come
    Hopefully il do her justice

a couple of pics of kills this season by jorala..
    032-1.jpg
    004-7.jpg
    002-5.jpg
    001-3.jpg
    001-4.jpg
    010-2.jpg
    012-1.jpg
    one of the new hawk been entered last week..
    005-5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Saw this lad at the holiday show in the rds last week ,was so impressive,then he started trying to attack kids:D, awesome looking birdIMG-20130127-WA0000.jpg

• Advertisement

A few pics of my new gyr/saker falcon on a rook.
    792288_552333974790531_811501658_o_zps2cfebbd2.jpg

798427_552333584790570_704665200_o_zps93017cf8.jpg

778652_552333774790551_544114071_o_zpsf1252ee8.jpg

775864_552334664790462_739118875_o_zps6ad9cadd.jpg

843842_552333504790578_1825022205_o_zps2aed6e26.jpg

Advertisement