Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

harris hawk (falconry)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Nice one Sean. Didn't know ya got a gos. Male??

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ape Owners

Nice one Sean. Didn't know ya got a gos. Male??

Yeah a male,sadly he died at a club meet near the end of last season.

The new bird for the season coming.
    13411936_1020601314682923_1408281806291731278_o_zpslfg1klwa.jpg
    13581918_1032824833460571_4555359515642188800_o_zpsoze4npfm.jpg

Ape Owners wrote: »
    Yeah a male,sadly he died at a club meet near the end of last season.

Jesus sorry t hear that. As you know I lost my first Harris when she hit a sheep fence so I know what it's like.
    Must pop up one day for cuppa tea/beer or whatever. I do be out that way. Plans to get a raven soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Are there many wild hawks in the country?

Pretty sure that there are two which are hanging out near us, the horses get freaked when they are in the area, but yet the cattle don't notice them. Fantastic to watch (whatever they are, we think they are hawks)

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote: »
    Are there many wild hawks in the country?

Pretty sure that there are two which are hanging out near us, the horses get freaked when they are in the area, but yet the cattle don't notice them. Fantastic to watch (whatever they are, we think they are hawks)
    Common buzzards more than likely. Quite active this time of year. Once extinct but reintroduced and now the most wide spread of the birds of prey in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Common buzzards more than likely. Quite active this time of year. Once extinct but reintroduced and now the most wide spread of the birds of prey in Ireland

:(

Still cool to watch. Horses don't seem to think so though

Majestic sight to watch them alright,horses can be very easily spooked by anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This is an open forum and most threads go off topic to some extent.

Back seat modding in an attempt to prevent people from discussing what they want is not permitted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    This is an open forum and most threads go off topic to some extent.

Back seat modding in an attempt to prevent people from discussing what they want is not permitted.

Apologies,.Sorry about that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Is there nobody hunting rabbits with birds of prey during the summer months?

Is there nobody hunting rabbits with birds of prey during the summer months?

Summer time is normally when the birds are moulting and they lose their feather to get new ones so they're not as strong a fliers but I have known some lads who fly their birds throughout the moult. But it's best to let them moult and fatten them up before September. That's usually when they have fully grown new feathers ad ready for new season. Kinda like ferreting. Summer is for breeding and the ditches do be too heavy to ferret.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Its been a while since I have posted but I think ill get this thread going again.So to start it of again here is a few pics from today and some of willow on kills from last week.

image1_zpsddpbor40.jpeg

image_11_zpssvg9j5nr.jpeg

image1_zpsgzil1sib.png
    Feeding up at the end of the day today
    image_zpslmkq3hao.jpeg

image_41_zpsxfkghtpa.jpeg

image_31_zps2jpwz2lr.jpeg

Very nice, and long overdue. ;):cool:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Good t see your still out and about doing it Wayne. Willow looks in great nick. Must be near 7 year old now.

I know in the wild birds obviously feed till the day they die, but is there a "retirement age" for working birds? Might be a newbie questions, but i've no idea about falconry, so just curious.

Good t see your still out and about doing it Wayne. Willow looks in great nick. Must be near 7 year old now.

Your spot on Aaron, she is an 09 bird and yeah still love getting out and doing a bit with her.

Few pics from myself,cheers for the day out yesterday Wayne.
    CollageNokiaImageSDK_31a75a62-17ec-4c75-ac52-d0e29edcef57_zpslf2um2yj.jpg
    CollageNokiaImageSDK_ea03fe6c-02b3-48a7-a1bf-3499eb139f49_zpsfatg1tqv.jpg
    WP_20161112_003_zpsuinxan46.jpg
    WP_20161112_003_zpsuinxan46.jpg
    WP_20161112_004_zpsbiefpna4.jpg

I've no idea what just happened there in the above post,big changes with the new photobucket site.Apologies for the repeat show folks.

I know in the wild birds obviously feed till the day they die, but is there a "retirement age" for working birds? Might be a newbie questions, but i've no idea about falconry, so just curious.

Hows things Cass,there is no real retirement age as such but they do slow down as they get older.I was out a few years back with a lad and he was flying a 15 year old harris. When she gets older ill fly her and if she catches when we are out that will be a bonus for her.

• Advertisement

Again a newbie question but do you supplement her diet or just allow her to whatever she catches.

Again a newbie question but do you supplement her diet or just allow her to whatever she catches.

I would also buy food like day old chicks and quail for her but mostly its whatever she catches.

Hey Wayne and Sean. Ya Harris ever done this.
    Seen it online earlier.
    https://youtu.be/6_BRh8s9P3A
    Gutsy bird. I remember my bird on a rabbit and a fox made a beeline for her. But this is another level of crazy

Willow has chased two,one in a wood and one all the way across a field.She could have nailed the one in the field any time she wanted but never did thank god. She had a few half goes at him but never committed to the kill.

Just sharing some pics of our latest meet up with the lads from waterford. Plenty of good craic had on the day and good hunting.

Some nice action shots of the birds.

IMG_2927_zps9t6kgmfa.jpg

IMG_2928_zpsxexe7mqc.jpg

IMG_2930_zpsqcvbcnh3.jpg

IMG_2931_zpswhhnrjv9.jpg

IMG_2932_zpsxiyvxl1v.jpg

IMG_2933_zps5fr7zcoz.jpg
    IMG_2934_zpsvzsp8qqu.jpg

IMG_2935_zpsrpsorfec.jpg
    IMG_2936_zpsmk0mb3r8.jpg

IMG_2937_zpsjpxyfjuv.jpg

Jorala crashed into cover a few days after she went free,only thing we saw running out was a fox,me heart was in me mouth.Have had a fox running towards her when she's killed on the lamp but plenty of roaring and shouting sorted that.Also chased a sika when she was a juvie bird but pulled off when up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Beast4mdaeast

Hey Lads fellow Harris Hawk keeper 🀘 anyone any idea if its still possible to upload photos here?? I dont seam to have any option to upload

Site rules say all new users must be members for at least 48 hours and have 5 posts at which point the option to upload pictures and link to sites will automatically become available to you.

Site rules say all new users must be members for at least 48 hours and have 5 posts at which point the option to upload pictures and link to sites will automatically become available to you.

Perfect thanks a mill

• Advertisement

As soon as im out of Probation (lock down) i have some photos of my first season male Harris hawks fruitful season 🀘

Advertisement