Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help laptop not loading more than desktop wallpaper

• 23-11-2010 3:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭

Around 2 weeks ago I had the inverter in my laptop changed as I was having a problem with it. Since ive got it back from the repair shop it was been working ok although a bit slower than usual. Now when I try to boot it up it will boot but it only loads the desktop wallpaper and no icons or start menu etc.

What can I do ?:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Once the wallpaper loads press Ctrl+Alt+Del and you should get the task manager.

Click File -> Run and type explorer.exe, click ok / run.

Your icons and start menu should return.

Do some spyware scans with Super Anti Spyware and Malwarebytes. Post or attach any logs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can also try to start it up in Safe mode.

This is usually done by tapping F8 when it starts booting. If you can get it to work then try restoring to an earlier Restore Point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thank you Heary and Biko.

I've tried both though with no luck :(

When I tried running explorer.exe from the processes window nothing happened.

When I tried safe mode it booted normally in safe mode with icons etc. However when I try system restore it won't let me get past the initial window. When I click "restore my computer to an earlier time" and then go to click "next" nothing happens.

Is there anything else I can try?

If you only can boot in safe mode at least that's something.

Before we move on, what operating system are you using? What Service pack?
    Is it Windows XP SP3?

You can try starting with a clean boot.
    Start in safe mode
    Try the steps here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    This will start computer up as clean as possible.

Once you can boot into normal screen you should run virus scans to make sure PC is infection free.
    You can also run virus scans in Safe Mode (if you have access to the internet), sometimes that's actually better to do.

If you have a USB key download hijack this and Super antispyware portable from another computer.

Run a scan and save a log file with Hijackthis on the problem machine while in safe mode.

Save the log to the USB key.

Copy Super Anti Spyware Portable to the desktop of the pc and run a full scan.

While thats running post the log file of the hijack this scan here and I will have a look at it.

• Advertisement

Thank you both for the advice. As it happens I lost wifi connection in the afternoon for a while and couldn't access your responses.

I turned my laptop on and off several times over the afternoon and on around the eighteenth occasion(honestly!) it started normally.

Hearny: I ran several antivirus and anti spyware programs and they all found nothing. I will post the log of hijackthis in the next post. Thank you for your help.

I also tried to system restore but my system restore seems to be broken. When I selected "restore" and tried to click "next" it became unresponsive. When I tried to create a new restore point it would not let me and gave the error message "System Restore cannot create a new restore point, Please restart your computer and start again".

I have a horrible feeling that when I do restart the laptop I'll be back to same trouble as earlier again. I had to write something and get stuff printed this evening so I've been afraid to turn it off again until it's finished that. I bet I'll be back tomorrow looking for more advice.

Biko :I've saved your link for offline viewing in case I need it tomorrow . Thank you very much for your help. I'm using XP SP2 at the moment.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 23:25:27, on 23/11/2010
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\afwServ.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\mom.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\bgsvcgen.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk10\PDAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Splashtop Remote\Server\SRService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Splashtop Remote Software Updater\WCUService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Splashtop Remote\Server\SRServer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SNDVOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SNDVOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = www.google.ie/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-row&channel=ie&ibd=2070814
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ie/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = www.google.ie/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-row&channel=ie&ibd=2070814
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.google.ie/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-row&channel=ie&ibd=2070814
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 127.0.0.1:8118
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    O1 - Hosts: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: bho2gr Class - {31FF080D-12A3-439A-A2EF-4BA95A3148E8} - C:\Program Files\GetRight\xx2gr.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.6.5612.1312\swg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\Kathy\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with GetRight - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRdownload.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_89D8574934B26AC4.dll/cmsidewiki.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with GetRight Browser - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRbrowse.htm
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20070711/qtinstall.info.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {138E6DC9-722B-4F4B-B09D-95D191869696} (Bebo Uploader Control) - http://www.bebo.com/files/BeboUploader.5.1.4.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1187274027046
    O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} (DivXBrowserPlugin Object) - http://download.divx.com/player/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {CE3409C4-9E26-4F8E-83E4-778498F9E7B4} (PB_Uploader Class) - http://static.photobox.co.uk/sg/common/uploader_uni.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8BBD5113-6EC5-47B2-ADEC-E9BB7552DAA7}: NameServer = 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Firewall - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\afwServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: B's Recorder GOLD Library General Service (bgsvcgen) - B.H.A Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\bgsvcgen.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Documents and Settings\Kathy\My Documents\Downloads\Portable Dreamweaver CS4\DreamweaverPortable\App\FLEXnetPublisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service (FLEXnet Licensing Service-BackupByDreamweaverPortable) - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: PDAgent - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk10\PDAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: PDEngine - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk10\PDEngine.exe
    O23 - Service: Splashtop® Remote Service (srservice) - DeviceVM, Inc. - C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Splashtop Remote\Server\SRService.exe
    O23 - Service: Splashtop Remote Software Updater Service (STRWCUService) - DeviceVM, Inc. - C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Splashtop Remote Software Updater\WCUService.exe
    O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

--
    End of file - 9744 bytes

The log looks ok actually.

I would do a few different things.

Download, install and run ccleaner.

Defragment the Hard Drive.

Download and install Windows XP service Pack 3.

Use windows update then to apply latest fixes.

Take this opportunity to backup anything important from the computer.

XP is currently on SP3 so download and install that. It will contain a lot of fixes and may well fix your issue. If not, well then your PC is up to speed anyway.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I have come across 3 x laptops and PCs with this issue in recent weeks. One was infected by a virus and had 100's of damaged and corrupted files on it, the other 2 were clean with no apparent malware, spyware or viruses..

I spent 4 days troubleshooting the first one and 2 on the second, the third, the owners needed back quickly so it was a quick reinstall of Window..

In the end, I backed up all data and reinstalled Windows on the first 2 aswell.. I think if you can get your data off it, it might be less time consuming and easier in the long run just to do a clean install of Windows.

Tox

• Advertisement

Thank you Hearny , Biko and Toxic Paddy.I really appreciate the suggestions.

Today the laptop has started normally but it has crashed a few times in an hour now which its never done before and system restore is still not working.

Hearny : I appreciate you looking at the HiJack This log. Thanks

Biko : Thanks . I'll try and back everything up. Is there any utility you'd recommend for doing that?
    I tried installing XP SP3 around 3 weeks ago but it slowed my laptop to a crawl and it would now allow me to access My Computer. It only showed the flash light when I tried to open it.I found the same thing happened when I tried to access some other files. I restored to pre-install and it worked fine until now.
    I'm a bit nervous of trying to upgrade again when system restore is now on the blink.

Toxic Paddy : That's interesting that you've had others with the same problem. On the MS website it says that not being able to create a restore point or use system restore is a result of registry damage. I think you might be right that a fresh install might be best at this stage. I've never done one myself though so I might have to farm it out to get that done.

Is there any idiots guide to doing it online anywhere?

A fresh install is probably the best to be honest.

Is there a folder called Minidumps in your Windows Folder, if there is upload it.

Did you defrag the hard drive.

When you removed Service Pack 3 did you actually uninstall it or use a system restore.

I would install it again before reverting to a clean install, If it doesn't work out you could uninstall it.

Another option before installing SP3 would be to use sfc

If you put the XP cd in the drive.

Open command prompt (Start -> Run type cmd and click run)

type

sfc /scannow

Once that has finished reboot the pc.

Advertisement