Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original Gaelige translations

Options
  • 23-11-2010 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am wondering about the banning of the Elizabethan translations as well as any former protestant recordings in gaelige during the reformation by King James & his 'authorizations' of the anglican church of those days...Could his translations be responsible for the majority of loss to the ancient gaelige language? & if so, who in Scottland has rights to the original texts they now call Scotts gaelige, seeing its their versions James may have transformed irish into...instead?
    Wouldn't it belong to Catherine Parnells university of their so-called prioryOzion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭whatthefeck

Gabh mo leithscéal?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shannasaed

Isn't it true that a good portion of the gaelige language was put away during the reformation years?...by those in britain trying to exile the true protestant translations of Elizabeth & those who were martyred before & after her by Cromwell , James & Catherine...Parnell ,to maintain the authorization for themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

shannasaed wrote: »
    Isn't it true that a good portion of the gaelige language was put away during the reformation years?...by those in britain trying to exile the true protestant translations of Elizabeth & those who were martyred before & after her by Cromwell , James & Catherine...Parnell ,to maintain the authorization for themselves?

You wouldent have a source for this by any chance?
    Irish was still the majority language in Ireland in the 16th century, It wasent 'put away' so to speak. Most Irish was lost as a result of the famine in the 1840's

I have found some evidence of a break in the gaelige language recorded on a translations site some years ago...when I began researching this issue...but I'd have to try & retrace the steps it took me to find it.
    Point being...the records on these years is a formidable subject if not utterly'put away' from common knowledge, so I'm wondering if its taught at all, anymore.
    I will try & find the recorded reference if I can...

On the other hand...it escapes me as to how the famine would diminish gaelige speaking ...do you have some recorded references for me as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭whatthefeck

Death is a great inhibitor to the spoken word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

There's no big conspiracy theory. Those who survived the famine blamed it all on poverty and the language was closely associated with that. Hence the massive shift to English only after the famine. They were too distraught to realise that bilingualism was a possibility even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well the 17th century is an important turning point for the language. By the end of it (Cogadh an Dá Rí) the native ruling class had basically been destroyed. As a result during the 18th century Irish became regarded purely as a peasant language thus all the damage caused in 19th century between famine and emigration.

I'm assuming the OP is referencing the first printed works in Irish that were done in Dublin. The translation of the bible and the book of common prayer as ordered by Elisabeth I. However I don't see how these had any negative affect on the language. What damaged the language was the 3 major events of the 17th century -- in all cases destroying native elite/literally elite.
    • End of Nine Year War -- Flight of the Earls -- Plantation of Ulster
    • Cromwellian Conquest -- up to 40% population destroyed
    • The war of the two Kings

sorry my pc access has been limited for a while...

Yes, the moderator has a definite idea of the periods & the issues concerning the actual bannings that I've recognized as the reason the gaelige language was compromised... specifically during & after the reformation .
    Elizabeth held onto some extremely valuable translations that were the cause of the dissolutions of the monasteries by those trying to steal them for King James & Cromwell...thus their raids & witchunts, I beleive.
    Anyone connected with the translations & James banning of them was a target.
    Cromwell seems to follow suit with his mass executions which all began with the dissolutions by his forefather...
    Thus, the reasoning that many of these translations may have actually first been in gaelige from Hebrew by the exiled levitical priesthood of Erin during the reformation & afterwards by Elizabeths protestants....this is not commonly known because these translations with their language & people were altogether...put away, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

There's no big conspiracy theory. Those who survived the famine blamed it all on poverty and the language was closely associated with that. Hence the massive shift to English only after the famine. They were too distraught to realise that bilingualism was a possibility even.
    It was generally the poorest who died because of the famine. The better-off mostly managed to survive.
    Throughout most of the country, the poorest were Irish-speaking; as a result, the Irish-speaking population was hit harder than the English-speaking population.
    I have read that in many parts of the country, the "cottier class" also known as landless labourers (the men, anyway), or rural working class, was pretty much wiped out. This put paid to the language over large parts of the country, and hastened the decline elsewhere.

Those being dissolved were indeed of the ruling class of an elite group of levites who were translating scripture in the monasteries during the 1500s...they collected their rites to charity along with land...its a royal covenant actually, of which the throne was connected. It was therefore also Elizabeths oath to maintain these people & their sanctioned translators, wich is why spain made war with her & her people.
    The inquisitioners were purely interested in stealing the charity & the rites to these translations for rome , which Cromwell & James certainly did...for Catherine Parr/nell.
    It wouldnt matter who they dissolved or the class...or the language...& to this day they will also make war with those bringing up the rites to zion during those days & the ancient dialect recorded within its translations...This makes for a very significant 'conspiracy'...of which rome is infamous,no less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Why are you talking about levites? As usual with conspiracy theorists it's hard to make head nor tales of your theory

If it weren't a conspiracy, then why the silence about...the levites actually being in Erin during the reformation...
    as usual, no one really wants to bring them up again , so they make tales of the records of it all...& obviously thats romes job...with anything called the levitical code of Erin....Arran...Aran...as in exiles???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mhwombat

No, the real cause of the decline of Irish is that alien abductions of Irish speakers has been increasing steadily over the past thee centuries. The aliens are currently abducting dozens of native speakers each week. And we know this for a fact, because people won't talk about it. If it weren't a conspiracy, then why the silence about it?

Advertisement