Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LHD cars in Ireland?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 5:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm moving from the US to Ireland next year and wondering if it would be legal to bring my LHD toyota yaris automatic 4door with me ?

If it is legal, would I have to modify it in any way?

Is it more dangerous to drive LHD cars over there?

Would I have to pay any type of exorbitant import fees?

And what is the average cost in general for car fees in IE, taxes, insurance etc?

thanks in advance

:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 artois

Hi Plastic,

You can bring the car with you. Once you import it you will have to have the national car test carried out on it.

It is generally safer to drive a car with the wheel on the correct side. I think your probably exempt from vehicle registration tax. Road tax on a yaris will depend on the year of car co2 levels or engine size, Probably anything from €100 to €300 for a yaris.

Insurance depends on your age and driving history. If you have a few years experience insurance no claims history for yaris unlikely to exceed €650.00.

Hope you enjoy it overhere but it probably does not nake much sense to bring the car. It will cost you a lot to get it here and will be pretty much worthless over here. We have enough Yaris here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think you will have to pay 21% VAT plus VRT as you arent from the EU, quite a big bill and hardly worth the cost transporting the car.

LHD no a real problem, just be careful overtaking (I have one)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Plus youve got to consider that youll have a very hard time selling that car in Ireland when it comes to changing it.

If you are moving to Ireland long term then I think youd be better off selling the car in the US and buying one when you get here. The cost and effort of shipping and VRT just doesnt really make sense, when you consider you can pick up a Yaris over here pretty easily and cheapily.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

djimi wrote: »
    you can pick up a Yaris over here pretty easily and cheapily.

A little harder to find an auto, but I see 27 for cale on carzone from €1850 right up to €16K for a 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

A little harder to find an auto, but I see 27 for cale on carzone from €1850 right up to €16K for a 2009.
    The Vitz is the JDM version, most of them would be auto I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

corktina wrote: »
    i think you will have to pay 21% VAT plus VRT as you arent from the EU, quite a big bill and hardly worth the cost transporting the car.

my brother brought his car back from oz,didnt have to pay any vat or vrt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

corktina wrote: »

VRT relief is available on transfer of residency providing the criteria are met as per revenue's site.

VAT relief on a non EU transfer of residency is also available but must be applied to separately from revenue.

Full details on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it was something exotic then it might be worth bringing it back but with something like a Yaris I'd say it's not worth the bother unless it is costing you nothing to do so. Still think you will be better off selling it there and buy something similar in RHD here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,419 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What about the probable absence of the 'E' mark on the tyres - would that mean that he'd fail the NCT unless he bought a brand new set of tyres as soon as he landed?

Another reason not to bring it with him I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Aside from the other reasons not to bring it in:

1. The headlight alignment will fail the NCT test. Depending on the car you may be able to adjust the alignment, but you may well have to get new headlights.

2. Turn signals have to be amber in colour - if your US car has red rear turn signals these will also need to be changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

It will be uneconomical to import such a car. It will be worthless, once landed.

Sell it for what you can, and buy when you get here. Whatever extra it costs you, the car will surely be worth that, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I could understand importing a Mustang or something .. but a Yaris ?!?!?! With the steering wheel on the the other side ..

Just sell it in the US.

Advertisement