Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Track IR5

• 23-11-2010 6:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the cheapest place to get this in Ireland at Xmas?

Anyone care to offer their thoughts on how much better then the TrackIR4 is/was?

Santy cometh :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hi, I think you might find it tricky finding somewhere in Ireland who sells TrackIR. I picked mine up from an ebay seller (US) for about 125 euro delivered, having upgraded from TIR 4. Although I enjoy and play flight sims such as FSX and DCS Black Shark, I haven't played either of these games yet with the new kit! It works really well with F1 2010 (a big time sink at the moment) but I acquired this game having sold my old TIR so I've no benchmark to compare. I'll try FSX in the next couple of days and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm getting a Track IR 4 for Xmas (5 isn't worth it on a price vs performance scale according to the reviews) and I couldn't find it anywhere in Ireland. Eventually had to get mine from Naturalpoint. My girlfriend tells me there was customs duty on it, so budget for that. No idea how much it was, but still...
    I'll try FSX in the next couple of days and report back.

Please do. I've just installed a second monitor and am looking for my third. A three 19" monitor setup with Track IR 4... lurvely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Hmm okay I expected it to be on the shelves somewhere or from an Irish E-tailer. I'm gonna be passing through Bankgok and San Francisco over Xmas so maybe either of those cities might be a better option.

cheers guys...Darwin please do post a bit of a review if you feel like it :)

No probs, I'll post an update for ye on Saturday :)

Ok, had a quick go of FSX with track IR 5. I have to say the tracking works extremely well and is very precise as you look around the cockpit. TIR5 has an increased raw sensor resolution (640x480) over TIR4 (355x288) along with a much wider horizontal field of view and I must say you would notice the difference in FSX. I had to remap the TIR centre key from F12 to a joystick button as FSX uses F12 to show an birds eye view of the aircraft. I didn't attempt to tweak any other settings with the TIR software yet. A significant problem I had with FSX/TIR4 was trying to sort out a terrible jerkiness (a constant up/down bump effect) that was accentuated when flying over densely populated areas. This does not appear to be a problem with TIR5, although I'm running different hardware now (new CPU, more RAM) which might have had something to do with it.
    I also had a quick blast with DCS Black Shark and Flaming Cliffs 2.0 - again the tracking is superb and really adds to the sense of immersion.

If you are deciding whether to upgrade from TIR4, I'd say go for it, you will appreciate the difference. If you are investing in TrackIR for the first time, it would be top of my list for flying or driving sims. Hope that helps a little :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I would HIGHLY recommend biting the bullet and going for a TIR5 ....I ran TIR3 Pro with Vector Expansion and it required quite a lot of centering /profiling/tweaking etc ...The TIR5 just WORKS straight out of the box ...Its a pittance compared with the investment on cpus or graphics cards over a similar life span...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've TIR4 Pro...worked fine out of the box with FSX for me also. I've asked Santa for this to help compliment it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Well, I bit the bullet and bought one last week. Overall it's very impressive. Lots of buttons, nice action (if a little weak) and the throttle is lovely. Two mods I've done that help a lot though:

1. Silicon grease on the joystick baseplate. This helps HUGELY with smoothness.
    2. I took the throttle apart and removed the little piece that creates the detents. Much nicer throttle action now.

Also, I'm getting an 80GB SSD HD in the next few days, an overclockable mobo and Windows 7 64 bit :D Oh, and TrackIR 4 for Xmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

Confab wrote: »
    Well, I bit the bullet and bought one last week. Overall it's very impressive. Lots of buttons, nice action (if a little weak) and the throttle is lovely. Two mods I've done that help a lot though:

1. Silicon grease on the joystick baseplate. This helps HUGELY with smoothness.
    2. I took the throttle apart and removed the little piece that creates the detents. Much nicer throttle action now.

Also, I'm getting an 80GB SSD HD in the next few days, an overclockable mobo and Windows 7 64 bit :D Oh, and TrackIR 4 for Xmas!

Confab

Where did you find out about those mods? Is there any web tutorial / article to follow?

Advertisement