Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tax and regional work question

Options
  • 23-11-2010 7:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone, tried looking for these answers myself but couldnt find anything.

just wondering if I declare myself a resident for tax purposes (assuming that I will work for the full 6 months which entitles me to declare that) but I end up leaving the job after 4 months, does that mean I then owe the tax man money for the time worked as I would have only been paying 13% tax instead of 29%?

also, the 88 days required for the 2nd visa, does that mean 88 days of work for example a 5 day week for 18 weeks as in working the full 88 days or does it include days you dont work (weekends) meaning that working a 5 day week would only take 13 weeks but that you were employed by the same farm for 88 days (including non working days). its just that the immigration site is confusing when explaining it.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

inOZ wrote: »
    Hi everyone, tried looking for these answers myself but couldnt find anything.

just wondering if I declare myself a resident for tax purposes (assuming that I will work for the full 6 months which entitles me to declare that) but I end up leaving the job after 4 months, does that mean I then owe the tax man money for the time worked as I would have only been paying 13% tax instead of 29%?
    If you intend on working for 6 months (it doesn't have to be all of 6 months) then you can declare yourself a RfTP
    also, the 88 days required for the 2nd visa, does that mean 88 days of work for example a 5 day week for 18 weeks as in working the full 88 days or does it include days you dont work (weekends) meaning that working a 5 day week would only take 13 weeks but that you were employed by the same farm for 88 days (including non working days). its just that the immigration site is confusing when explaining it.

thanks!
    Three months' means three 'calendar' months or 88 days. Work can be:
    Working week You work on a farm for three months for five days each week, where the farmer considers five days a week to be full time work.

it looks like it includes the days off, if you are working full time.
    i.e. 5 days a week.
    If casual then you must add up to 88 days.

Interestingly if you work as a miner you need only work every 2nd week for 3 months

Advertisement