Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur Radio activity around Dublin ?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

First time poster and fairly new lurker :)

I'm going to be living in Dublin from January and want to know what the amateur radio activity is like around Dublin ?

Is the South Dublin Radio club still running as attempts to contact the club via email seem to get no response ?

Cheers
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Hi ancl, have a chat with Derek McGonagle he is the IRTS rep in the Dublin area. You can find his details here : http://www.irts.ie/cgi/regional.cgi
    I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ancl

Thanks, will drop him a mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mickfitzer

Hi Andy

I am a member or The South Dublin Radio Club,yes we still meet every Tuesday evening from 8pm to 10pm in a building in the grounds of Terrenure College for the moment,hope this helps and hope to see you at the club meetings sometime,

Cheers, I've made contact with Dan from the Dublin club also so will get across to the club one night.

If I can get hold of a 2M handheld I will try and get on the air, don't think my landlord will be happy with me stringing up wire antennas so may have to resort to /M on HF.

Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EI8GHB

I know it is north Dublin, but EI2NCR (North County Radio, based in Skerries) meet every Tuesday night.

Then further afield is Dundalk Amateur Radio Society, of which I am PRO. A great club. We now meet twice a month, on the first and third Wednesday of the month. We have an activity night tonight - lots to do and talk about.

Anthony EI2KC,
    PRO, EI7DAR.

• Advertisement

EI8GHB wrote: »
    I know it is north Dublin, but EI2NCR (North County Radio, based in Skerries) meet every Tuesday night.

Then further afield is Dundalk Amateur Radio Society, of which I am PRO. A great club. We now meet twice a month, on the first and third Wednesday of the month. We have an activity night tonight - lots to do and talk about.

Anthony EI2KC,
    PRO, EI7DAR.

Hi Anthony

Thanks for the reply, I visited the Phoenix rally today, and got invited to come and take a look at their club as well. Just purchased a 2M handheld so listen for me on the repeaters :)

73 Andy EI/G0SOP ( ex PA1SOP )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I guess I will dig up this old thread... So clubs in Dublin - I'm looking for a club that does classes for the exam. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

martinsvi wrote: »
    I guess I will dig up this old thread... So clubs in Dublin - I'm looking for a club that does classes for the exam. Any recommendations?

The info below needs to be confirmed but it might get you to where you want to go.

Suggest try:

http://southdublinradioclub.weebly.com/radio-theory-classes.html
    "runs subject to demand, radio theory classes for those wishing to sit the radio experimenters exam"

or

http://ei0ndr.com/
    "Morse and radio theory courses are available for members, and newcomers, wishing to obtain a Radio Experimenters License. Information on theory course content is available on CD from the IRTS."

thanks for that, I did find South Dublin in google, wasn't sure if they're still active, you know.. neither webpages show any sign of life, so I was hoping to hear from active members, or at least from someone who knows a guy, that knows a guy, if you know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Batzoo

thanks for that, I did find South Dublin in google, wasn't sure if they're still active, you know.. neither webpages show any sign of life, so I was hoping to hear from active members, or at least from someone who knows a guy, that knows a guy, if you know what I mean

Did you find out any more about this? Their website does not look to have had any activity in a couple of years!

• Advertisement

no, I did not. I was hoping to get more responses here before jumping into anything but I guess the reasonable option here is to give them a call and see what the story is.

I've been looking around for exam samples, I'm a bit concerned - well - the electronics bit looks easy for me given my background, but the rest of it looks quite difficult. I'm doing a lot of reading now, I've found ComReg regulations and guidelines, but I simply can't imagine learning them without practical side of things... It's like learning traffic rules without ever getting a chance to drive- rules without application are just words on a paper that don't mean a thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

no, I did not. I was hoping to get more responses here before jumping into anything but I guess the reasonable option here is to give them a call and see what the story is.

I've been looking around for exam samples, I'm a bit concerned - well - the electronics bit looks easy for me given my background, but the rest of it looks quite difficult. I'm doing a lot of reading now, I've found ComReg regulations and guidelines, but I simply can't imagine learning them without practical side of things... It's like learning traffic rules without ever getting a chance to drive- rules without application are just words on a paper that don't mean a thing...

I met people last Sunday that are of SDR and NDR.
    None of them mentioned either club going underground.

May I suggest that you have a look at this and then
    go over and 'say hello' directly so that you find out
    what's what directly?

http://www.irts.ie/cgi/affiliat.cgi?search=dublin

As for the regs, you just read them, translate them
    into your own words and repeat them in your own
    words next time.
    Each time you read them, translate them into your
    own words and repeat. If you can explain the regs
    in your own words then you will find it easier not
    only to remember them but to repeat them even
    if the words you use aren't the original words.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Batzoo wrote: »
    Did you find out any more about this? Their website does not look to have had any activity in a couple of years!

Person to Person Radio. Probably the Web Site is low priority and poor gauge of any Radio Club.

Advertisement