Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Large Parts Of The UK Still Not Like Irish People??

• 23-11-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

I don't mean to sound over the top but this recent bailout bill has angered a lot of the right wing press in Britain to the point we're on the recieving end of a toung-lashing from them (I'm sure you've noticed).

I've reading a lot of comments from the dailymail website, there's the best part of 600 comments on the top news story, with comments about the IRA, 800 years, war, bombing our country, micks and all this nonsense etc (with lots of green arrows might I add!). All absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1331979/IRELAND-BAILOUT-Britain-pays-billions-country-implodes.html

But it got me thinking, is that what the average person seriously thinks in Britain about Ireland? Is there still a lot anti-Irish feeling in Britain leftover because the troubles? Because personally I think most of us think positively about the place and that's why we watch so many of their programmes, sport etc.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/3241285/Fury-at-chancellor-over-our-Irish-bail-out.html

I've noticed the Sun is appropriatly calling us 'Direland' now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

emmmm... who cares:confused:... at the end of the day if got bigger things to worry about than if the brits like me or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I do worry about the evolution and future of mankind when a lot of narrow minded people like to live in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

They think we're suckers for bailing Anglo like every other country in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Why do you read that ****e?
    As riots hit Dublin he admitted we may have to pay billions MORE to help other EU nations.

Makes it sound like there was blood on the streets. Fat chance of that! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Gnobe wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound over the top but this recent bailout bill has angered a lot of the right wing press in Britain to the point we're on the recieving end of a toung-lashing from them (I'm sure you've noticed).

I've reading a lot of comments from the dailymail website, there's the best part of 600 comments on the top news story, with comments about the IRA, 800 years, war, bombing our country, micks and all this nonsense etc (with lots of green arrows might I add!). All absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1331979/IRELAND-BAILOUT-Britain-pays-billions-country-implodes.html

But it got me thinking, is that what the average person seriously thinks in Britain about Ireland? Is there still a lot anti-Irish feeling in Britain leftover because the troubles? Because personally I think most of us think positively about the place and that's why we watch so many of their programmes, sport etc.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/3241285/Fury-at-chancellor-over-our-Irish-bail-out.html

I honestly don't think so. I travel over to the UK alot and have neer once heard a dergoatory remark from anyone about my Irishness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Change indifferent for hate and you get the picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

What rock have you been living under?? Of course there is a significant anti-Irish attitude in Britain. Its not exactly genocidal like it was in the past but its still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Britain is going through austerity measures themselves and the though of giving away 7 billion in loans when it could be used at home is bound to piss them off just like when Ireland and to contribute to the Greek bailout. Or when jobs become scarce here and we begin to resent the immigrants who hold those jobs we wouldn't have dreamed of doing in the good times.

twinytwo wrote: »
    emmmm... who cares:confused:... at the end of the day if got bigger things to worry about than if the brits like me or not.

who cares?? What kind of a stupid comment is that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

There are people in Ireland that hate British people. There are people in Britain who hate Irish people. These are a minority of both peoples. They are also shouty, like anti this that & the other campaigners. Don't pay any heed to them, they're not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    What rock have you been living under?? Of course there is a significant anti-Irish attitude in Britain. Its not exactly genocidal like it was in the past but its still there.

I haven't encountered any significant anti irish attitude in the 20 years I've been working between here and there. Where did you encounter it?

johngalway wrote: »
    There are people in Ireland that hate British people. There are people in Britain who hate Irish people. These are a minority of both peoples. They are also shouty, like anti this that & the other campaigners. Don't pay any heed to them, they're not worth it.

But there is a massive difference between the two. The Brits have a superior racial hatred, the Irish hatred is normal and rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭eamo12

Makes it sound like there was blood on the streets. Fat chance of that! :rolleyes:

We had 30 years of blood on the streets thanks to the shinners. If I were a Brit, I'd be pissed off as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

I'd say most people here haven't a problem with the Irish, but as for the Daily Fail - well they're a different lot altogether. I'll never forget reading column in there that said the Irish should have been grateful for the English occupying the country. Needless to say although I have to read the DM from time to time I'd never write for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

who cares?? What kind of a stupid comment is that?!

exactly.. if they dont like "us" why should i care?? ... im guessing your one of those tree hugging hippie types:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I haven't encountered any significant anti irish attitude in the 20 years I've been working between here and there. Where did you encounter it?
    very little anti-irish feeling in britain,and i doubt if many irishmen post differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

But there is a massive difference between the two. The Brits have a superior racial hatred, the Irish hatred is normal and rational.
    Spoken by a true keyboard warrior, ever even been to the UK? The only time I hear derogatory remarks about the Irish is when they're coming from me (I'm Irish).

Assuming the Daily Mail/other right wing papers represents the majority opinion in the UK is naive and betrays your lack of understanding about the media in general.

Also to be fair Direland is pretty accurate the country has gone down the ****ter in 3 years! That must be some kind of record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I live and work in London and I can safely tell you that there is OVERWHELMING.......indifference to Ireland except we have cute accents.

You either get people thinking it's part of the UK or they just don't care at all which never fails to make me smile when I see some of the things people post about Britain but then I guess their attitude comes from once being a world superpower where the conquest of Ireland is but a drop in the ocean to what they did.

Anywho, for the people here in work that are aware of the amount the UK is giving they don't begrudge it at all.

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Spoken by a true keyboard warrior, ever even been to the UK? The only time I hear derogatory remarks about the Irish is when they're coming from me (I'm Irish).

Assuming the Daily Mail/other right wing papers represents the majority opinion in the UK is naive and betrays your lack of understanding about the media in general.

Also to be fair Direland is pretty accurate the country has gone down the ****ter in 3 years! That must be some kind of record.

Spoken like a true West-Brit.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

I watched both ITV and Beeb news yesterday evening. The 'riots' looked a lot worse than they actually were. Handy camerawork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Oh bollocks.

Get over it.

Spoken like a true West-Brit.

ZING... and there it is. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

Lived there for ten years. Some of my best friends are English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does DO Large Parts Of The UK Still Not Like Irish People??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Significant" is not the word I would use to describe it.

"Niche" or "fringe" is more accurate.

The actual fact is that there is a superiority undercurrent in some sections of British society that it unashamedly anti-everything-except-Britain.

This is the fringe that the likes of the daily mail and the sun appeal to by printing these arguments. In a few months time, they'll be talking about a Spanish bailout with headlines like, "Costing-us-del-sol" and laughing at the bumbling incompetence of Manuel who built his thousands of worthless villas.

I wouldn't take it personally. It's Fred Phelps syndrome - they give other nationalities so much stick because deep down they are ashamed of themselves and hate to think that any other nation could be doing better.

Outside of this fringe, the vast majority (> 99%) of British people have no problem with the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I could not give a fcuk what the brits think of us. At the end of the day they will bail us out only to protect there own banking system.

the I.M.F and various international authorities who lent the money to Anglo. They are not bailing us out...They are protecting themselves.

We are the hedge fire they dont want turning to a bush fire.

If a brit hates me because of 800 years of conflict then in my opinion the IRA done there job well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Oh bollocks.

Get over it.

He'll be sorry when he doesn't get a share of the seven billion Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

It's kind of a love hate thing. They hate our racism towards them and our occasional bouts of international terrorism. On the other hand they love our green fields, sexy accents and charming drunkenness. We're like the summer romance who scorned them many years ago for that attractive Yank down road but nevertheless they still hold a torch for us and hope we'll come back to them saying all is forgiven, even tho they'd be better served moving on and getting into bed with a lovely German or Swede, whilst we sit in our collective bedsit, eating pot noodle around around a 60w lightbulb, telling stories to anyone who'll listen about how good it used to be when we were young and wondering where it all went wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Gnobe wrote: »

Ther are ignorant people in every country, there are many (ignorant) Anti-Irish people in Britain, and there are also many (ignorant) Anti-British people in Ireland, there good people & bad people in every country, and sadly they usually grab the headlines in the 'sensational' Tabloids!

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    very little anti-irish feeling in britain,and i doubt if many irishmen post differently

Yeah. I think people in Ireland have an inflated idea of how important we are or hated we are to the UK. We're just there. The terrorism is over and long gone and they have more important things to worry about than the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

seamus wrote: »
    The actual fact is that there is a superiority undercurrent in some sections of British society that it unashamedly anti-everything-except-Britain.

Hmm yeah except I'd change to England more specifically, there appears to be as much of a anti-scottish agenda on there with regards to Andy Murray etc with wimbledon every year and of course probably the Daily Mail's most hated politician, Alex Salmond.

bonerm wrote: »
    It's kind of a love hate thing. They hate our racism towards them and our occasional bouts of international terrorism. On the other hand they love our green fields, sexy accents and charming drunkenness. We're like the summer romance who scorned them many years ago for that attractive Yank down road but nevertheless they still hold a torch for us and hope we'll come back to them saying all is forgiven, even tho they'd be better served moving on and getting into bed with a lovely German or Swede, whilst we sit in our collective bedsit, eating pot noodle around around a 60w lightbulb, telling stories to anyone who'll listen about how good it used to be when we were young and wondering where it all went wrong.

Im sorry but what the hell are you smoking lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

It's "normal" and "rational" to hate "The Brits"? Are you serious? It is rational to hate the things that have happened in our history all right, but to hate "Th Brits" as a people is just racism.

Having a hatred of an entire people isn't normal or rational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

It's bollocks

• Advertisement

eightyfish wrote: »
    It's "normal" and "rational" to hate "The Brits"? Are you serious? It is rational to hate the things that have happened in our history all right, but to hate "Th Brits" as a people is just racism.

I hate the Brits history in Ireland, which continues to this day with the occupation of the North, the lack of an apology for countless and gigantic crimes and the continued anti-Irish attitude. Also their foreign policy which involves invading every country they see fit.
    Other than that they're grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Had one bad experience with a Brit, and he was shut up pretty quickly..by...other Brits... who put him in his place.

Apart from that lots of friendly banter and taking the piss out of each other with friends and friends of friends. Have been told they get a lot of stick here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I hate the Brits history in Ireland, which continues to this day with the occupation of the North, the lack of an apology for countless and gigantic crimes and the continued anti-Irish attitude. Also their foreign policy which involves invading every country they see fit.
    You do realise that that's the governments fault and not the people? Unless you think the Welsh are behind it all...

humanji wrote: »
    You do realise that that's the governments fault and not the people? Unless you think the Welsh are behind it all...

Yes, but you can hardly totally separate the two. The government is voted in by the people, the politicians come from the people, the army is made up of members of the public etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yes, but you can hardly totally separate the two. The government is voted in by the people, the politicians come from the people, the army is made up of members of the public etc
    So you're saying we're to blame for Fianna Fail's destruction of Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

remember its a loan folks, that we have to pay back with interest...

by washing their cars and cleaning their shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Oh Christ! Not more of this outdated sh1te!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

LOL, get over it for Christ's sake, you sure you're not trying to get people into some kinda political party??? Why are you trying to stir up ****? Guess what? We mean NOTHING to the "Brits", I'm over there at least 6 times a year and the only "anti-Irish" comment I've had was from a taxi driver from Somalia, LOL. That argument is so over. Also they're not occupying the North, it's not part of the Republic, it's part of the UK, the only people occupying the North is the Northern Irish.:P

humanji wrote: »
    So you're saying we're to blame for Fianna Fail's destruction of Ireland?

Well I'll put it this way, I would have rather sawed off my arm then vote for FF in the last election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

eamo12 wrote: »
    We had 30 years of blood on the streets thanks to the shinners. If I were a Brit, I'd be pissed off as well.

Who are the shinners? Sinn Fein? If so, surely that was equalled by British input?

From my experience of having lived there I would imagine that they don't give a toss. No more than I did when we had to help out Greece. None of it is money that the general population will ever see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I found that many British people speak to Irish people the way Dublin people speak to 'Culchies'.

We export tons of software, I have broadband, stop speaking to me like I go to 'the dance' on weekends and 'step out' with a 'likely Cailín'.:mad:

Says it all really about how amazingly irrelevant border change is in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hahahahahaha! This sh1t is gold! You've no prob with their handout to us though, I'm sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Reading the Daily Mail is bad for your health imo :D

Really? I've lived here six and a half years now and have only encountered a few morons who are anti-Irish. They were exactly the same type of people I see in Ireland wearing Celtic tops and shouting 'up the 'RA' and denouncing 'the Brits' and calling anyone who disagrees with them 'West Brits'.

There's idiots in both countries but they're generally the same brand of idiot. ;)

SparkyTech wrote: »
    I honestly don't think so. I travel over to the UK alot and have neer once heard a dergoatory remark from anyone about my Irishness!
    getz wrote: »

I've met hundreds of English people during my time in England and interacted with thousands more. I've had anti-Irish comments made three times by different individuals during the time I've lived here. Once by a drunken dude smoking outside a pub who called me a '****ing Paddy' as I walked past. Once by a member of the BNP who was handing out flyers* and once where I can't really remember the circumstances but it was fairly low-key.

So of all the English people I've met that's a fairly low percentage, insignificant really.

*Strange because these days Irish people are 'acceptable' to the BNP. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have broadband, stop speaking to me like I go to 'the dance' on weekends and 'step out' with a 'likely Cailín'.:mad:

The fact that in 2010 you think that having broadband marks you out as being sophisticated says everything about why some people might consider Ireland to be a bit backward in some respects.

• Advertisement
Advertisement