Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Large Parts Of The UK Still Not Like Irish People??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Still makes him a Welsh carpet bagger, have the English ever put an English family on the throne

Of course. In fact, we have put English families on the thrones of countries that didn't even know they had a throne:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I think this should be called Caoimhin's law.

"As a boards.ie discussion on either britain/northern ireland grows longer, the probability of someone being called a West Brit approaches 1."

I have no chip on my shoulder in relation to the British people and have always found them to the extremely welcoming and tolerant on the countless occassions I have visited the UK.
    If that makes me a west brit then so be it.

In relation to the original topic, I have never had a problem in the UK wrt nationality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Still makes him a Welsh carpet bagger, have the English ever put an English family on the throne

I'm just trying to get the Welsh off the hook for any wrong-doings, in case they lay seige to the A5 by heaving bricks at Holyhead traffic.

People here should sympathise with the English, because they've been ruled by foreigners for a lot longer than the Irish ever were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

i moved to the UK 3 weeks ago and i have yet to hear a single derogatory comment towards me. Mind you i live and work in an area with intelligent people which the readers of the sun and the daily ****rag are clearly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I think it was GK Chesterton who said "The biggest tragedy of English rule in Ireland, is that the Irish can't forget and the English can't remember".

Brilliantly put, and quite true on both points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

squod wrote: »
    They think we're suckers for bailing Anglo like every other country in the world.

and who can blame them. they also think that the government treated the average citizen with contempt. Would you like it if your government was bailing out an extremely corrupt country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

tell you what i hate..... tabloids

Of course. In fact, we have put English families on the thrones of countries that didn't even know they had a throne:D

and a german on the english throne for some reason :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Lemegeton wrote: »
    i moved to the UK 3 weeks ago and i have yet to hear a single derogatory comment towards me. Mind you i live and work in an area with intelligent people which the readers of the sun and the daily ****rag are clearly not.

Ditto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The only ignorant "ruling class" (to use the quaint term) people should be worrying about is the one that got us into this mess, not tediously raking over the embers of historical grievance

• Advertisement

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    In my experience most people in england are just like us, cept with different accents. TBH most are ignorant when it comes to the history between our two islands.
    Sure there are scumbags, they are everywhere. However, once you move into the upper class then the prejudice sets in.

true its unfortunate most have no knowledge of history but it doesnt bother me as muchg considering plenty leave the education system in england not knowing much about the history within their own island.

Its really only the upper classes that take a dislike to the irish fo no real reason.

Ditto.

i know plenty who do read the sun and have yet to hear a derogatary comment about the irish. Its only the ones with issues themselves that bring it up

Most English people think only affectionately of the Irish, of this I am certain. Their ignorance of Ireland is not intentional - they were simply not taught very much (if anything) of the history of our nations.

If I may repeat what I've said previously on this, I propose that most English people:
    • Don't know whether Northern Ireland is part of the UK or not.
    • Don't know whether Ireland is part of the UK or not.
    • Don't know the correct English language name for the state of Ireland.
    • Have little or no knowledge of this island's history.
    • Think that Protestants, Catholics and the IRA are all warring tribes of Irish people that fight over religion and the Troubles were nothing to do with England.

Sad, but quite true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I have lived in the UK for about 10 years. Have encountered a bit of anti Irish feeling a few times but nothing major. In general its the opposite and being Irish is very well recieved.
    I have found that the types who would be anti Irish would also be anti English/Welsh/Scottish or basically which ever they are not themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

my mates were over in old trafford there on saturday and the english were taunting and jeering at them singing were bailing you out on monday :(

were englands bitch once again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Think that Protestants, Catholics and the IRA are all warring tribes of Irish people that fight over religion and the Troubles were are nothing to do with England.

That's more like it. The English tend to live somewhat in the present, excepting rose-tinted references to the Empire and the Blitz.

Didn't the Good Friday agreement basically say "We formally declare that we don't give a sh!t anymore and that you can sort it out amongst yourselves".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

It's in the Daily Mail? That paper does not have a great record when it comes to its views on Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

paddys are just nigg*rs turned inside out is what they say

It's in the Daily Mail? That paper does not have a great record when it comes to its views on Ireland.

Its basically a paper for suit wearing rednecks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sure it's grand, I don't tend to like the majority of them either!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ricero wrote: »
    my mates were over in old trafford there on saturday and the english were taunting and jeering at them singing were bailing you out on monday :(

I don't think Man U fans are in any position to comment on desperately needing financial support:rolleyes:

digme wrote: »
    paddys are just nigg*rs turned inside out is what they say

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Those in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. Britain got a bailout for the IMF in the 70's.

Britain are bailing us out because the alternative for them would be much worse. If we had let our banks fall, British banks would have taken a massive hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

ricero wrote: »

I'm sure the Man Utd fans were singing in an ironic manner.....Actually its Man Utd fans, probably not.
    But that is a club who could teach us a thing or two about debt!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    and who can blame them. they also think that the government treated the average citizen with contempt. Would you like it if your government was bailing out an extremely corrupt country?
    Britain are bailing us out because the alternative for them would be much worse. If we had let our banks fall, British banks would have taken a massive hit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Lemegeton wrote: »
    i moved to the UK 3 weeks ago and i have yet to hear a single derogatory comment towards me.

England, Scotland, N.Ireland or Wales?

we gave a blanket guarantee to banks thats what they are angry about, they are angry at the level corruption on the island. The government should have given a guarantee for all FUTURE loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

What a crock of ****e! I hear nothing but positives about Ireland from Brits, its the jocks they cant stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

What a crock of ****e! I hear nothing but positives about Ireland from Brits, its the jocks they cant stand.

If by jocks, you mean scots, you do realise the jocks are brits too, don't you? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

If by jocks, you mean scots, you do realise the jocks are brits too, don't you? :confused:

would that make them lads in the 6 counties Brits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

I'll rephrase it. The English that I have met have been very positive and pro Ireland to such a degree that they even shout for them in rugby or football. Scotland on the other hand...well you sit in a pub in England when they are playing any sport and draw your own conclusion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

would that make them lads in the 6 counties Brits

They're not part of Britain, just the UK, so no.

They're not part of Britain, just the UK, so no.

Funny that, cause it is the only place in the UK, where you will hear somebody describe themselves as British

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

I dont think any tax payers in the UK will like any of us now!!!

Funny that, cause it is the only place in the UK, where you will hear somebody describe themselves as British

The only place in the UK? c'mon now.

Psychologically, some people in Northern Ireland may feel British. That doesn't mean that they actually are.

http://alt-usage-english.org/whatistheuk.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never experienced anything anti irish in england ever. Usually get

A) sexy accent
    B) random weird comment about them being impressed with dublin bus

Psychologically, some people in Northern Ireland may feel British. That doesn't mean that they actually are.

Under the British Nationality Act, they are British. Equally, under the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, they are also Irish.

Under the British Nationality Act, they are British. Equally, under the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, they are also Irish.

I stand corrected. Balls..

I honestly considered Britain to be the island (Wales Scotland England), and British or Britishness to be subjective. Shows what i know.

The only place in the UK? c'mon now.

http://alt-usage-english.org/whatistheuk.html

You would never hear anybody in the land mass that makes up the UK describe themselves as British, English, Scotish or Welsh but never British

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

You would never hear anybody in the land mass that makes up the UK describe themselves as British, English, Scotish or Welsh but never British

Don't you mean the landmass that makes up Great Britain?

• Advertisement

Luxie wrote: »
    Don't you mean the landmass that makes up Great Britain?

One down plays the Great bit now days, as it has been broke since 1918, sans empire since late sixties, the next in line to the throne speaks to plants, can't win a at football and imports coal from Australia

I've personally heard English people using the term British when referring to themselves (lads in their 40's to 60's). Never personally heard any Scot using the term but can't believe that it's never used.

I'll leave the last word to yourself. I'm bowing out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not true.

English people being aware of Englishness is only a recent thing and Euro '96 helped that along.

robinph wrote: »
    Not true.

English people being aware of Englishness is only a recent thing and Euro '96 helped that along.

True. I saw a prog about Italia 90 and at that time, most of the England fans shown were brandishing Union Jacks.

One down plays the Great bit now days, as it has been broke since 1918, sans empire since late sixties, the next in line to the throne speaks to plants, can't win a at football and imports coal from Australia

One does, but it still says 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' on the front of a British passport.

Luxie wrote: »
    One does, but it still says 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' on the front of a British passport.

As it is the wrong colour, nobody takes any notice

robinph wrote: »
    Not true.

Never said it was historical, I just said that people no longer refer to themselves as British, and I think it has more to do with assemblies in Wales & Scotland than Euro 96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Ireland does not register with most of the British public outside of cosmopolitan cities like London. In provincial cities around the UK, Ireland is irrelevant to most, especially amongst the less well educated.

Half my family are English and live across various cities in Northern England. My cousin, who is 30, well educated, and a manager in a recruitment firm came to vist me in DUblin recently for the 1st time, and did not even know that Ireland had "different money" to Britain. I have met many of her friends and they are equally as oblivious to all things Irish.

But that is why people are so angry, and rags like the Mail can get so much mileage out of it. People see £7bn going to a place that they do not see as relevant, at a time when billions are being cut from public spending in the UK.

We in Ireland generally have a massively overblown sense of how aware people were of us (except in London and east coast US due to the large Irish populations). Obviously people are a lot more aware now! And to be honest I think the frustration of the Germans and the Brits is quite understandable, given than a country of 4 million, and an economy equivalent to 2% of the EU can cause such expensive chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I think it's just when they start bringing up the IRA Gerry Adams, saying that that's representitive of everybody in Ireland it's gets on your tits a bit. There's a lot of 'No surrender to an enemy' 'Let the IRA bail them out' nonsense and I'm thinking that's the stuff I heard when I was last over in Ipswich!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

does it really matter if the general public dont like us? we are getting their 7 billion, suckers!

Advertisement