Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Tooth Filling

• 23-11-2010 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever used a DIY Tooth Filling Kit before?
    Was thinking of getting one as it's way too expensive to be going to the dentist these days. :mad:
    And is there anywhere in Waterford that these can be got?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

cococoady wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used a DIY Tooth Filling Kit before?
    Was thinking of getting one as it's way too expensive to be going to the dentist these days. :mad:
    And is there anywhere in Waterford that these can be got?

No... just no!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Go up north or something. I think it's something where experience would count.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Go up north or something. I think it's something where experience would count.

I've googled it.
    It seems fairly common over in the UK.
    Just never heard of it this side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Most pharmacists stock them. I bought one for the missus in Mulligans Superquinn.

Thing is, you'll only end up having to go to the dentist anyway as they're only a temporary solution, and the success of them depends on how complicated the hole is. Is it at the back of the mouth? Can you get at it easily? Are you sure the hole is cleaned out properly?

My advice is to go to the dentist - toothache is never worth the money you think you've saved.

gscully wrote: »
    Most pharmacists stock them. I bought one for the missus in Mulligans Superquinn.

Thing is, you'll only end up having to go to the dentist anyway as they're only a temporary solution, and the success of them depends on how complicated the hole is. Is it at the back of the mouth? Can you get at it easily? Are you sure the hole is cleaned out properly?

My advice is to go to the dentist - toothache is never worth the money you think you've saved.

I don't have any pain. Yet :rolleyes:

Just looking for a temporary solution until i have the funds to go to the dentist (which at this rate won't be for another 3/4 years lol :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Last time I got a filling, a couple of months back it was only about 60 quid ?

Junior wrote: »

€60 doesnt go into €0 lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Junior wrote: »

Back fillings are relatively cheap because it's the dark-grey filling, while front fillings use the more expensive whiter mixture for aesthetic purposes.

Got one of the kits in a chemist in town for €10.
    I'll give it a go later and see how i get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Used one of those kits for a temporary job after a huge filling fell out on a Saturday evening. Would only recommend as temp measure - no way you will get the cavity clean enough to stop decay. The cement itself is easy to use and does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

These kits are very much a temporary solution, very temporary. In the short/mid tern they probably compound the problem as the decay takes root underneath them whilst masking some of the symptoms. On the other hand my old man pulled his own tooth out with a long nose pliers one morning because it was bothering him, so I can refer you to him as an outpatient if you wish. He is no dentist, more of a DIY enthusiast. I have also seen him attempt to perform a vasectomy with a pitching wedge, so he is quite versatile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

DIY Tooth Filling Kit + vacuum cleaner cranked up to 11 = result :p

Advertisement