Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie questions

Options
  • 23-11-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am a complete newbie to keeping fish, but the OH and I were thinking of setting up an aquarium in the new year.

We've been looking around for a reasonably priced aquarium and have a few in mind especially this one. Its got a capacity of 63L and would love to keep salt water critters. Ideally we would like a few fish and an invertebrate or two (we were thinking either hermit crabs or shrimp). However we are complete newbies and have never kept anything except commoner-garden type goldfish.

Can anybody recommend any nice marine fish that are easy to care for? Are there any types of filters/lights etc. that anybody can recommend (there are so many to choose from)? :confused:

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

63L is pretty small for a marine setup.

Marine is also more difficult and expensive than freshwater. The choice of fish is pretty much endless however.

I would suggest your best bet at the moment is to go to one of the fish shops and have a look around, ask a few questions and they should be able to cater to your needs.

Where are you based? If in Dublin, Seahorse Aquariums just by the Red Cow would be an excellent place to start, I've been in there a good few times, lots of tanks and stock, really helpful and really know their stuff.

Adverts.ie is a good place to find a good bit of second hand equip and irishfishforum.com is a great resource

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Thanks Cookie Monster,

I'm actually based down in Cork, but came across Seahorse a few times when doing some research - really wish they were down here in Cork.:D

Went to the local Petstop today and they guy I talked to said the same as you. Marine = V expensive and not good if inexperienced, so I have decided to go the tropical route instead.:)

I actually picked up the Juwel tank I mentioned today - I spotted it in another shop we visited and got it for far less than other stores (nearly 50% less!), couldn't leave it behind.

I'll be heading back to petstop over the weekend to chat to yer man again, he seemed to know what he was talking about so will get him to advise about cycling, stock etc.

Any hints and tips you might have are really appreciated.

Bookworm

You went for a small tank in the end so concentrate on small fish.

Cardinal Tetras for example are very bright blue and red, and reasonably tough little fish. You'd need a ninimum of 6 as they are a shoaling fish.

Think about "levels" in the aquarium to allow you some more fish without them feeling crowded. Get some bottom living ones, and some mid-high level ones and you can't go wrong.

It really is a case of what you like the look of and what the shops have, just bear in mind that some spicies can be a little aggressive and bit the fins of other causing stress and injury. Tiger barbs are a good example of this and are unsuitable with other small species.

I've gone through all of this only recently with my new tank, have a read of the thread to see what to watch out for: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056019171

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Ya, tank is small but I don't have room for anything bigger at the mo.

The tank I got is about the same size as the one you have , 63l and will be picking some sand and plants today and start cycling this evening.

Yeah, I've been admiring tetras in the pet shop for weeks - lovely looking fellas and Coreys too.

Was thinking about getting some tetra's first and then maybe one or two larger guys after Christmas, not sure what yet but I'll be dropping my Petstop again over the weekend to plague yer man again :)

Your tank looks lovely by the way, how are you getting on with them?

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Your tank looks lovely by the way, how are you getting on with them?

have another touch of whitespot at the moment :(
    snails are out of control too.
    One of the gourami's looks a bit unwell but I am presuming this is the whitespot so hopefully will be fine in a day or two once treated.

Other than that good, 5 of the 6 corys are great, the one with no barbels is not so good but still looks ok. The tetras are all getting bigger, one or two are really big.

One of the plants went in the bin recently as it looked awful, the others are doing really well. Nearly all of the algae has retreated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement