Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did Morning Ireland censor the word Gob****e:

• 23-11-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭

So there I was driving to work this morning and listening to "It Says in the papers". He came to the Star and said the headline was "Useless Gob???" he could not bring himself to use the word Gob****es or perhaps he is not allowed. Who are they afraid of offending, people are destroyed and broken hearted, they have nothing left and little to look forward to. Still Nationl Broadcaster is still being nice to the Useless Gob****es who got us there why?. Ar ethey are a propaganda service for Fianna Fail.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

I have just discovered Boards even censor . You can says lots of thngs about people , you should hang you head in shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Probably because its morning radio and swearing in front of kids is a no-no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

DrumSteve wrote: »

True, but the headline "USELESS GOBSHÍTES" will be facing the same kids from the news stands when they call into the shops on their way to school and probably still be there when they're on their way home. And they'll probably hear a lot worse in the playground in the meantime.

Not that that is any of Morning Ireland's concern, (or Boards for that matter).

I think the headline is unnecessary but it probably does echo the sentiment of huge number of people given recent events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

because its RTE.

Newstalk has no problem with bullshyte at that hour of the moring and when brian hayse accused fank fahy of talking just plain shyte they didnt censor him either.

what do you expect from the institution that passed on Fr Ted because it was too risque ?

far as i know they STILL have that book on pronounciations that insist on things like "gourdee" being used by presenters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Rte never passed on Father Ted. It's an urban legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Actually I do think we need at least one station in the country that conforms to a higher standard. Just because 'every one else does it' does not mean it's right.

I'm no Holy Joe, I curse a lot worse than gob****e :) but we do need some parts of our life that are editorially 'clean'. RTÉ1 is already dumbed down enough (I'm looking at you Joe Duffy!!) without aiming for the lowest common denominator :( I just wish RTÉ had a station like BBC Radio 4 to be honest.

Let Newstalk* and the other stations continue with their current editorial policy but let's have at least one station that steers clear of cursing.

*I'm a fan of Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Bring back Gerry Ryan! He used to swear almost daily on his show. It was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm not 100% which presenter it was but either John Murray or Tubridy said it this morning when reading the headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

DrumSteve wrote: »

I can imagine some mum turning around in horror and saying to the kids.."Did he just fu**in say gobchite on the radio ??"..

• Advertisement

actually do most people even consider "gobshyte" a swear word now?

shades of "damn" from gone with the wind here.

Brian Lucey quoted the "Useless Gob****es" headline also on Tonight with Vincent Browne last nigh and Vincent did not throw a tantrum. I wonder if I spell it as Gobshyte or Gobshytz instead of Gob****e will it be censored on boards. I am just about to find out.

Plowman wrote: »

i heard that.

pales into insignificance next to the title of the book of the bloke he interviewed afterwards though

"dont vote it only encourages the bastards!"

:):):)

seems theres a bit of a double standard going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Take a look at the RTÉ Radio 1 schedule and you will see the reason for the 'double standard':

You have the very serious current affairs shows like Morning Ireland, then chat shows (more relaxed format) and then the trash 'rabble raising' shows like Joe Duffy (:() all on the one station.

Each of these different formats will have a different Editorial policy and that's to be expected. Even the greatest radio station in the world (BBC Radio 4 :p) allows different editorial policy for different programs.

As it stands I still agree that different Editorial policies on shows. I don't want to hear someone on Morning Ireland casually reporting:

'This morning, those shaggers in the Dáil awarded themselves another bleedin' pay rise, while the rest of us gob****es have to make do with...'

I'd much rather hear:

'The Taoiseach today announced further pay increases for Ministers at a time when many public and private sector workers are being told that their pay will be frozen or even cut...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

They also censored it on TV3's morning show yesterday, so I think it's unfair to lob the usual 'because RTE's crap' accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Because when people are driving their kids to school when Morning Ireland is on.

Side story: When I was a teenager getting a lift into school, we had the Strawberry Alarm Clock on and they were doing this thing where they rang up a a premium-number gay hotline and played the random recorded message from a man looking for love.
    I'm sure they were expecting the random message to be something like "Hi I'm Derek and I'm looking for a sexy guy" but what they got was "Hi I'm Gary and I'm looking for a big juicy cock to stick up my arse". Colm and JimJim freaked out and spent rest of show apologising. Haha, not appropriate morning radio.

Does anyone seriously belive kids listen to Morning Ireland, it might be on but they dont listen. So what if they heard THAT word should we shoot Bart Simpson , Podge and Rodge and Fr Ted lets get real. It is not for Morning Ireland to be holier than thou and give us a sanatised version of the "Uselss Gob****es" headline. They are meant to report the news as it is not as they think it should be. I am not suggesting they lower their own standards or swear on air just give the news as it is, and let the public make up their own minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Does anyone seriously belive kids listen to Morning Ireland, it might be on but they dont listen. So what if they heard THAT word should we shoot Bart Simpson , Podge and Rodge and Fr Ted lets get real. It is not for Morning Ireland to be holier than thou and give us a sanatised version of the "Uselss Gob****es" headline. They are meant to report the news as it is not as they think it should be. I am not suggesting they lower their own standards or swear on air just give the news as it is, and let the public make up their own minds.

So how about the word CUnt? Should RTE be able to report on an article saying that Brian Cowen is a Cunt? Or do you just think they shouldn't censor the words that you personally don have a problem with?

• Advertisement

They should use the article as it is printed. They talk about murder, famine, cruelty,war, poverty, crime , illness etc and these are all a lot worse than a few silly words.

Advertisement