Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - PSU question -

Options
  • 23-11-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Good Morning , or so far it is .

UPS just called to the door with my new mobo ram and cpu . I am going to start into it now and boot up the laptop so I can come in here and cry and scream and ask questions when it all goes wrong .... which it usually does for me . Having said that , down through the years and different builds I have yet to come out at the end of the day without the PC working after having been talked through by the people here . So get ready people ...... all hands to the pumps .

First up . I have an old psu and I was planning on swapping it out and replacing it with a new 750w psu from a dell xps that I got handy . It doesn't line up with the screw holes but I have made up a template and I am going to try drill out the holes to match ........... but ........

It has an 8 pin atx 12v and the mobo... asus m4a77t/usb3 has a 4 pin socket ..... I think when I asked this question before I was told that I could connect it and leave 4 pins free . Can anyone clear this up for me .

Throw on a pot of coffee , it could be a long day

EDIT: I have a new Freezer 7 pro Rev.2 ... I was going to throw this on as well rather than use the stock cooler I presume this is the way to go ?

John

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Does the 8 pin split? Either way I don't think it makes any difference whether it does or not. 4 pin and 8 pin connectors have the same voltage spec. So you can fire ahead and connect it up.

If you have a stock cooler and not a custom one, theres little difference in the thermal paste performance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

The PSU just proved too awkward to fit so I put the original back in for now . I also went for the stock cooler for now ... just wanted to be sure it all worked .

And it did ........ and now COD Black Ops is playable

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

(Quote 1st post) It has an 8 pin atx 12v and the mobo... asus m4a77t/usb3 has a 4 pin socket ..... I think when I asked this question before I was told that I could connect it and leave 4 pins free . Can anyone clear this up for me .

I recently put in a corsair 650w psu into a Dell and it took me feckin hours to work-out I could leave the 4 pins free.

I remembered the other reason that I went with the stock cooler for now . The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-Rev-2-Cooler/dp/B002G392ZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290602995&sr=8-1 ) has the fan facing side ways , all the fans that I had used previously had the fan facing upwards . So stupid here didn't know if the fan should be facing the PSU or the graphics card .... any suggestions here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

MyPC-AC-7pro-TT-120smartfan-1.jpg&t=1

how it should be fitted

• Advertisement

My Mobo will only allow for pointing down or up , not side to side .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

jonski wrote: »
    My Mobo will only allow for pointing down or up , not side to side .
    why is something in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

What case have you Jon?

It'll depend on where your case fans are located too.

massy086 wrote: »
    why is something in the way

The brackets for holding the heatsink in place dictate that it can only point up or down , not side to side .

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    What case have you Jon?

It'll depend on where your case fans are located too.

This one here ... in front of me .... the silver one .... that I bought second hand about 4 years ago .....................

Sorry Boomstick , I can't remember :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yeah I remember meeting this problem with the Coolermaster Hyper 212 CPU as well, the problem is that sometimes the supplied AM2(+)/AM3 mounting is simply not as flexible as the intel ones so you can get limited to two directions out of four. :mad:

Since back or front is not an option the next best thing would be to point it towards the PSU IMO, as that will be taking air out of the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

In other words, intake fan pointing "down" so the back is facing the PSU or dorsal exhaust fan(s) up at the top of the case, depending on case design.

Advertisement