Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting bareroots during frost?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi folks
    With the fine weather I was going to put in some native hedging at the weekend, mostly Hawthorns & Ash bareroots 30-60cm. However with the weather heading for a fierce freeze, I'm just wondering if this is a no-no?

(There's a good bit to do & I have a machine, so breaking ground not a problem).

Any recc'd precautions to take are welcomed,
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It should be fine as the plants are dormant... after the frosts you should go over them and ensure the frost hasn't lifted the earth from round them, just heel them in again to be sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

40701085 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    With the fine weather I was going to put in some native hedging at the weekend, mostly Hawthorns & Ash bareroots 30-60cm. However with the weather heading for a fierce freeze, I'm just wondering if this is a no-no?

(There's a good bit to do & I have a machine, so breaking ground not a problem).

Any recc'd precautions to take are welcomed,
    Many thanks

hope not, i planted 800 last saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

I planted bareroot gricellinia just there two weeks ago and am now terrified that they'll freeze to death this coming week! Should I perhaps try to cover them somehow? Old bedsheets or binbags or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I have heard and read that you should never sow Plant's Bare rooted or potted on a frosty day.. where the soil is frozen... I believe it's some thing to do with creating large air pockets in the soil...

I am open to Correction... if this is true or not the reason...

With BareRooted .. Always expect some losses... Poor/damaged plant's and more serious is poor handling after harvesting... (Where the plant was not Properly looked after digging up.)
    Also I found with Griselinia it does tend to be "burnt back" as bareroot so expect some of the tips to go black/brown ... but they do recover just more slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

Thanks for that, I've read up on grisellinia and thought I'd be extra carefull with them. I've since put a layer or weed stopping fabric around my little plants and a thin layer or topsoil mixed with mulch over that fabric :o

Should prevent the ground freezing around them, I am hoping they'll survive. Luckily I have them next to a 3 feet garden wall that surely gives them a bit of protection and heat? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 golly-pop

I lost quite a few bare-rooted beech in the last big freeze up, unfortunately I left them outdoors uncovered while waiting to get around to planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

golly-pop wrote: »
    I lost quite a few bare-rooted beech in the last big freeze up, unfortunately I left them outdoors uncovered while waiting to get around to planting.

Always cover the roots with extra care... if still bundled ... those plants in the bundle centre may have air trapped in with the roots.. Heel them into soil in small bundles till you are ready to sow

Advertisement