Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android forum

Options
  • 23-11-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I kinda missed the android forum initially because of where it's located. I was trying to find out about android tablets and tbh didn't think of looking under mobiles / pda's because I wasn't thinking about phones. :)

Android runs on lots of devices now. I think that forum should be moved up a level and renamed "Android devices" or similar, much like the Apple media devices forum. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought I'd post it somewhere.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Android is just an OS, though, rather than a hardware manufacturer. If it moved a level up it would be under "Consumer Electronics".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Maybe it belongs under Operating Systems then. It is a mobile OS though so it's six of one ...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Rename Mobiles/PDAs to Mobile Devices?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

On reflection maybe there could be an "Android Media Devices" section under Consumer Electronics.

The hardware devices they run on are designed specifically as platforms for Android's OS anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

was anyone else kinda expecting this thread to be about an android like Data from Star Trek?

nope?

just me?

:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

picardusesandroid.jpg

I'll come back with a non off the cuff remark tomorrow once I have a mull.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Dades wrote: »
    On reflection maybe there could be an "Android Media Devices" section under Consumer Electronics.

That's what I said.
    Macros42 wrote: »
    Maybe it belongs under Operating Systems then. It is a mobile OS though so it's six of one ...

Nah...the unix forum covers the OS level stuff (at least in theory).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Put a shortcut subforum anywhere its needed is what i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

at the moment i don't see there being an issue with where it is, but as we move forward it might be an idea to keep itself and the AMD forum @ the same levels

MiCr0 wrote: »
    at the moment i don't see there being an issue with where it is

Well....the issue for me was that its placement wasn't logical. I went looking for an android forum. I'm familiar with the apple media devices forum and since android runs on a similar range of products I expected it to be at the same level. Since I was looking for information on tablets I never thought to look under mobiles. Initially I assumed there wasn't an android forum and posted in an existing thread in gadgets. I only happened across the android forum by doing a google search for a specific tablet type.

• Advertisement

Certainly when it was created first, the Mobiles/PDAs forum seemed like the best place for the Android forum as it was (and remains) primarily a phone OS. If not for the iPod Touch being out at the same time as the iPhone I suspect the AMD forum would also have been made a subforum there.

As a growing space though it may make sense to move Android to the same level as AMD. There aren't a lot of Android tablets or music players, but they're coming. The more they do the less relevant its current placement is going to be, and more users like Khannie might miss it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Definitely needs it's own forum outside of Mobiles, like an "Android Media Devices" as suggested earlier.

Android running on non-phone devices is growing wicked fast, most of the PMP type manufactures have switched/are switching to it as their de facto OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Android is not just mobile devices. Google OS \ Android will be used in far more devices over the next couple of years, I would put as an OS to be honest.

Maybe a separate thread for devices if needed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Android is not just mobile devices.

Right now and for the next few years it is and will be primarily just mobile devices.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's very hit and miss to find any forum nowadays without using the Beta skin's search. I think for a lot of categories we could go around in circles trynig to find the ;ost logicl place to put them as everyone will have a different logical approach. In the future, some kind of live search which would display a list of forums where this search term is most popular might be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Bumpy Bumpy Bang Bang

I would say that aidan_walsh's suggestion is the best solution. Any chance of it happening?

Well, credit where due it was Khannie's suggestion in the OP :) I was just lending support to it.

Well, credit where due it was Khannie's suggestion in the OP :) I was just lending support to it.

Thank you sir. :)

I came on here to bump this also. The number of android tablet threads in that forum is growing nearly daily now.

A little off-topic but maybe the name of Mobiles & PDAs might need to be reconsidered. I mean, PDAs are pretty much old hat right now with smartphones taking over. Mobile Devices might be more appropriate.

Advertisement