Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Frame size

• 23-11-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I do triathlons, and use a road bike with tri bars attached. Been using it for about 3 years now, but just recently I measured the frame size and it is 50cm. My height is 5' 9". looking briefly as sizing charts it says that I should be on a 56cm frame. I have struggled alot with my bike, compared to my running. Would the right frame size make much of a difference in Time trials, duathlons and triathlons?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

What make is your bike?

A 50cm bike sounds way too small but the frame could have relaxed geometery. I'm 5' 7" and had a Giant SCR C3 before that was 50cm (Relaxed geometery), I got rid of it as I thought it was a little too big. If I remember correctly the correct size for the bike I had was 5' 7" - 5' 10".

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Vélo wrote: »
    What make is your bike?

A 50cm bike sounds way too small but the frame could have relaxed geometery. I'm 5' 7" and had a Giant SCR C3 before that was 50cm (Relaxed geometery), I got rid of it as I thought it was a little too big. If I remember correctly the correct size for the bike I had was 5' 7" - 5' 10".

It's a Giant scr 4 2007 model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm 5'10 ish and ride a M or 50cm SCR. Because of the very sloping top tube, the seat tube measurement is quite small. If it was a traditional non sloping top tube, it would probably be a 55cm bike. Which would be about right for someone 5'9.

There should be a sticker near the bottom of the down tube which will tell you what size rider your bike suits. Mine says 5'7 to 5'11.

SCR.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

If you want to get sized for a bike go to your LBS and get them to help you im 5'11 and i need a 53cm frame but all the guides say i should be on a 56 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I don't know much/anything about time trialing but don't suitable timetrial bikes tend to be sized small than road bikes. If so, that the OP is using a road bike for time trialing, is it not perhaps quite suitable that his bike would be classed as a little too small for him for "normal" road use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

I'm 5'10 ish and ride a M or 50cm SCR. Because of the very sloping top tube, the seat tube measurement is quite small. If it was a traditional non sloping top tube, it would probably be a 55cm bike. Which would be about right for someone 5'9.

There should be a sticker near the bottom of the down tube which will tell you what size rider your bike suits. Mine says 5'7 to 5'11.

SCR.jpg

damn need to find another excuse then why I am so crap on the bike:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

lamai wrote: »
    damn need to find another excuse then why I am so crap on the bike:mad:
    Could be your position.

Actually I have a mate who does triathlons and he says the cycling is his weakest part....Its because he doesn't do much cycling. Do you do much cycling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Also, road sizing is not suitable for tri. Frames need to be smaller, as they need to be shorter for the aero tuck on the bars. I am 5'11" and would use a 53 cm top tube for a tt bike, while a 56cm on my road bike. Also do yoga or pilates, as flexibility is hugely important for a good tri position. Your bad performances on the bike are likely lack of km or wrong bike position.

Advertisement