Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term Alzheimers Care.

Options
  • 23-11-2010 2:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41

Hi All,

I don't know where to start in looking for long term, in home care for my mother who has alzheimers. She is about 4 years into the illness and things are, as happens, getting worse.

My dad (who doesn't live in Ireland) said that in Spain it is common to offer a local nurse rent free living in exchange for their company etc. which is all Mam needs right now. Is there a precedent for this type of care in ireland??

Our hands are tied coz we can't afford the professional full time options.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

hi there

i'd start with asking your gp or public health nurse about this

there are some agencies like national alzheimers society who can provide a sitting service (not full time, but they will assess how much she needs)

outside of that , i dont know of people who do it for free in exchange for accommodation) but i do know some families who have filipino nurses living in for a small wage plus accommodation and food etc - your public health nurse might know if there are any people locally who would do this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 PaulyB63

Hi Sam,

thanks for your reply. The last type of care you mentioned is the type we've heard of before. It would suit Mam's situation perfectly. If you hear of how the system works and how you vet someone for suitability that would be great...

Thanks so much for your help.

paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i'm sorry but i dont know how you get to find those people.... try asking at your GP surgery, they might have more info

best of luck, hope ye get sorted out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 PaulyB63

no Problem sam... Thanks again...

Advertisement