Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2018/2022 Decision to be made

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Qatar, euch! The oil must ensure it'd be the most profitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Next January, Qatar will host the 2011 AFC Asian Cup (Asian Football Confederation) with the final fixture being held at Khalifa International Stadium, and will also host the 2022 FIFA World Cup where they are sure to do a much worse job than the USA, Japan, Korea, and Australia. Qatar???? I mean.... **** me!
    Qatar wikipedia page.

Which I found while looking up their population: 1,696,563. **** me!

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

South Africa, Brazil, Russia and Qatar!

Could they BE any further away from us!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Who the hell wants to go to Russia, you have to be "invited" there to get a visa for the country for christs sake! Corruption is rife and if you are black there is a good chance you will get the bejasus kicked out of you. Cracking women on the Russian representation.

Qatar like WTF?? I won't say what I think of blatter as I might get banned if I did. Australia was the obvious choice and this although at least it will be first world cup since 2006 not to be held in a third world country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Quinn giving a decent interview on SSN.

at least he's not get his head in his arse, and knows this was all a political thing.

also, technical quality means absolutely fúck all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

mike65 wrote: »
    My prediction for 2026 - CHINA. You read it here first.
    I reckon IRELAND for 2026 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

28064212 wrote: »
    Qatar wikipedia page.

Which I found while looking up their population: 1,696,563. **** me!

1,696,562 millionaires apparently. The other guy cleans toilets.

Roll on WC2026...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Russia was a bad choice imo, but QATAR??????????????
    FFS Ireland is EIGHT times the size of the country!!!!!!
    The climate is rubbish, people can't drink over there... I can't get over how corrupt this is.
    FIFA obviously have no problem with racism, Russia don't like black people and Qatar don't let Israelis into their country ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i am shocked and saddened. this is a sad day for football.

south africa.
    brazil.
    russia.
    qatar.

hardly easy places to get to for the majority of global football fans.

f*ck off FIFA to be honest, ye shower of corrupt so and so's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Gary Lineker confirms England came 4th in voting.

What a joke. The joint Dutch/Belgian bid came ahead of them.

FIFA stinks of corruption. There worse than Fianna Fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

south africa.
    brazil.
    russia.
    qatar.

f*ck off FIFA to be honest, ye shower of corrupt so and so's

They're bringing the joy of international football around the world. And also taking it away from where the fan money comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Stinicker wrote: »
    Who the hell wants to go to Russia, you have to be "invited" there to get a visa for the country for christs sake! Corruption is rife and if you are black there is a good chance you will get the bejasus kicked out of you. Cracking women on the Russian representation.

Qatar like WTF?? I won't say what I think of blatter as I might get banned if I did. Australia was the obvious choice and this although at least it will be first world cup since 2006 not to be held in a third world country.
    i want to go and no visa needed if you get a ticket
    cson wrote: »
    Oh and 20 years from Germany 06 til the next time Continental Europe is likely to host the World Cup again. For a place that's pretty much the centre of football; yikes! :eek:
    russia is in europe :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

south africa.
    brazil.
    russia.
    qatar.

f*ck off FIFA to be honest, ye shower of corrupt ****s

I agree to an extent, but come on there are a hell of a lot of Football fans in South America!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I reckon IRELAND for 2026 :D

with the cooperation of the GAA Ireland actually COULD host it.

Not that it would ever happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Qatar = 40s during the summer doesn't it?

And Keano thought the heat in 1994 was bad! :P

its a desert nation though so humidity shouldn't be a problem like in orlando, anyone that has been to vegas in 40+ degrees will tell it doesn't feel as bad as florida in 30 degrees+ humidity

adamski8 wrote: »

Don't tell them that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

amacachi wrote: »

6 Stadiums proposed in the one City.

Ah Fifa, the mind boggles. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

would you mess with someone who has a scar like that on their face??!

That he got when he was a baby from a car accident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Where to now for England. Euro 2020? You just get the feeling they wont host a WC for decades to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

So, what time of day or night will we be watching the next 3 world cups?:rolleyes:

slingerz wrote: »

Oh no... not this again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

How expensive is to get around Qatar, its like the size of Leinster?

Getting to it is likely to be cheaper than Australia or Japan (of the other bidders).

I'd well image that getting a hotel room and a dinner in Qatar is a lot more pricey than, USA or Aus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

rossie1977 wrote: »
    its a desert nation though so humidity shouldn't be a problem like in orlando, anyone that has been to vegas in 40+ degrees will tell it doesn't feel as bad as florida in 30 degrees+ humidity

This is true, but no one spends more than a week in Vegas. A month in Qatar would kill you.

Thought you were only allowed a max of two satdiums per host city? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

slingerz wrote: »

We need to do some talking, but if Quatar can - so can we :D

And oh... brown paper envelopes too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Anyone else spot Jimmy Magee in the audience in front of the Russians when they were announced as winners?

Joke of a decision - particularly Qatar. They'd give it to the Aran Islands if there was a couple of billionaires living out there.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    This is true, but no one spends more than a week in Vegas. A month in Qatar would kill you.

Nothing a bit of cash won't change ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Qatar is an interesting choice, something different. I'd have much more issue with Russia winning it.

Merson "Everyone wants to play in England, it's the home of football" and others this week "We deserve it". I could hear Shearer on BBC for a short burst. Get over yourselves..:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Money talks....Qatar what a joke! Do they even have a national team?

I wanted the US because:
    1. its a lot more likely the US will have a more than decent following of Soccer in 10 years...Qatar seriously
    2. I live in Boston and it would have been one of the hosting cities using the Patriots' Gillette Stadium
    3. We could bring Alan McLoughlin out of retirement, let him score in the last game for Ireland to qualify, and then RTE plays this video again in the closing credits:

One of the greatest memories of my youth as a 9yr old was that game versus NI and when RTE played "Coming to America" in the closing credits, my Dad saying "Well if McLoughlin hadn't scored there...RTE would have been waiting a long time to play that video again".

That was an absolutly magical night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

south africa.
    brazil.
    russia.
    qatar.

f*ck off FIFA to be honest

This is it for me. I'm determined to get over to Brazil, but even that has major logistical difficulties in terms of getting around the country.

I'm really disappointed about England missing out to Russia. 2030 is a long time away and I'm sure that there's a lot of European countries who will be interested in hosting that and I suspect that there'll be a backlash at home about even putting another bid in.

Qatar is mental though. Absolutely shocking decision and I feel so bad for Australia and America.

Pardon me, Western Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

No that was for 2018, that rule will be quickly amended for 2022 if it hasn't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Russia fair enough, they are a very good footballing nation and have hosted the CL final.

Qatar is absolutely mind boggling, USA and Australia had much more stronger bids and the USA and Australia could have hosted the Tournament tomorrow if they wanted to. The panorama documentary in relation to bribes rings a bell for the Qatar bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

You need a VISA alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The bookies got it right so .Russia and Qatar.
    FIFA are a joke of an organisation,they are doing their best to kill soccer with their corruption and ignorance.They are about 50 years out of touch.
    Fifas executive committee is some joke.
    22 members and it includes football powerhouses such as tahiti,guatemala,trinidad and tobago,thailand,qatar,cyprus.Farcical
    England and USA had arguably the two best bids of any World Cup in history yet finished well down the pecking order.
    Awarding the World Cup to Qatar is like awarding the British Open to a pitch and putt club.
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

FIFA must of got a few bob from Putins Russian mafia!
    BBC can make all the corruption programmes they want now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Also, time to lump on Uruguay for 2030 (World Cup centenary)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

BBC sports news correspondent James Pearce on Twitter: "Remember that Fifa inspection team described Qatar World Cup as "high risk"."

Un-****ing-believable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Also, time to lump on Uruguay for 2030 (World Cup centenary)

But that's not the home of football... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Most to be built and then dismantled afterwards, such a waste.

On SSN it was just mentioned that the guy meant to be standing against Blatter next year is from Qatar, wonder if he'll withdraw now... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

CorkMan wrote: »
    You need a VISA alright.
    well the bid team said ticket holder will be visa exempt
    Pardon me, Western Europe.
    people in western europe can afford to travel and do, so i dont see a problem there.

SSN now want to take the world cup from brazil, this is gas!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This is it for me. I'm determined to get over to Brazil, but even that has major logistical difficulties in terms of getting around the country.

Totally agree. This has just cemented my desire to get over there because can't really see myself heading to either Russia or Qatar. Always wanted to do S. America anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Part of russias "application" was that would waive any Visa requirements for the WC 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

well the bid team said ticket holder will be visa exempt

people in western europe can afford to travel and do, so i dont see a problem there.

SSN now want to take the world cup from brazil, this is gas!!!

No, what he said was "If Brazil do decide to drop out, the World Cup could be given to England or America".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Somewhere Lord Triesman is laughing. He after all said Spain would win the WC by bribing refs and Russia would get 2018.

He was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

baz2009 wrote: »
    No, what he said was "If Brazil do decide to drop out, the World Cup could be given to England or America".

Which is what we've known for a long time. FIFA reached out to both countries some time ago as a contingency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

None of the guys voting will be alive for either World Cup so how could they care? Surely they are just lining their pockets for their retirement.

FIFA have always been a joke...but Qatar, fcuking Qatar takes the biscuit!!

This is all Wikipedia has on Soccer in Qatar, barely a paragraph:
    Association football is the most popular sport in the country closely followed by cricket. The Qatar Under 20 national football team finished second in the 1981 FIFA World Youth Championship after a 4-0 defeat to Germany in the final.
    Club Dam is the only country club won the Asian Cup Winners only once in 1989 after winning golden goal for the Iraqi police team, which culminated in Qatar and the Gulf Cup champions twice, in 1992 and 2005 in the territory and to their constituencies. The Asian Football Confederation's 2011 AFC Asian Cup finals will be held in Qatar in January 2011. It will be the fifteenth time the tournament has been held, and the second time it has been hosted by Qatar, the other being the 1988 AFC Asian Cup.
    Doha, Qatar is also home to Qatar Racing Club a Drag Racing facility. Sheik Khalid bin Hamad Al-Thani is very involved in the sport and owner of Al-Anabi Racing.
    Khalifa International Tennis Complex in Doha, Qatar hosted the WTA Tour Championships in women's tennis between 2008 and 2010.
    It was announced on the 2nd December 2010 by FIFA, that Qatar will host the 2022 FIFA World Cup.[32]

While there are pages, upon pages on soccer in the US and Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very interesting on SSN they said that Sepp Blatter's biggest challenge to another term is one Mohammed Bin Hammam, President of the Asian Football Confederation, who was a major player in Qatar's bid. Just found this too from this past August:
    SINGAPORE: Asian Football Confederation chief Mohamed Bin Hammam on Friday ruled out a bid for the FIFA presidency next year, opening the door for Sepp Blatter to run the world game for another four years.

The 61-year-old Qatari is seen as a successor to the 74-year-old Swiss and one of the few people with the potential to unseat him, but he appears ready to bide his time.

"Let me be very clear, I will not run for the next FIFA election. I will be backing Sepp Blatter to remain in office for a new mandate," Bin Hammam said.

His decision not to run follows a similar move by Michel Platini earlier this year. The Frenchman was also considered a key candidate but he will seek a second term as UEFA president instead.

Bin Hammam, a FIFA executive committee member, said he would similarly seek re-election as AFC president next year.

"My aim is to run for the next election of AFC president due at the start of 2011," he said.

"Hopefully I will get the full confidence of all the national associations."

The Qatari, seen as a moderniser, has been AFC chief since 2002 and has overseen the launch of the AFC Champions League and the admission of Australia into the confederation.

After 12 years in office, Blatter has made clear he has no plans on leaving when his term runs out on June 11, 2011, saying he has not finished his mission.

The Swiss was elected FIFA president in 1998 and won a fierce re-election fight in 2002 before being returned unopposed in 2007.

The Asian bloc, the biggest football confederation in the world, wields 46 votes in the presidential election and will play a vital role in deciding whether Blatter continues his reign.

Bin Hammam rocked the boat earlier this year by saying he would like to see an Asian as president of world football's governing body.

He also said he believed that all FIFA presidents should be limited to two terms. Before Blatter, Brazil's Joao Havelange led FIFA for 24 years.

His remarks led to tensions between Bin Hammam and Blatter, but by last month they had ironed out their differences and the two powerbrokers appeared together at the Soccerex Asia Forum in Singapore.

"Even with my own brother, the son of my father and mother, sometimes I have arguments and differences. Blatter is not going to be an exception," Bin Hammam said then when asked about their disagreements.

"Even though there are differences sometimes, he is my good friend."

Bin Hammam also congratulated Blatter for his decision to take the World Cup to South Africa, a move many critics thought would backfire.

"I have to put on the record that Blatter's bet on South Africa has paid off. Much of the credit has to go to his personal efforts and determination," he said.

When the pair next appeared together, again in Singapore, for the launch of the Youth Olympic football tournament this month, it was Blatter's turn to lavish praise, saying Bin Hammam had changed the face of Asian football.

"In terms of administration and organisation, AFC is really professional. From Vision Asia, the AFC Champions League to the development of referees, AFC are doing very well," said Blatter.

"This is all due to the hard work of my friend, AFC president Mohamed Bin Hammam. He has made so much effort to take Asian football to new heights. He has contributed so much to the rapid progress of Asian football."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Bin-Hammam-rules-out-bid-for-FIFA-presidency/articleshow/6443855.cms

Sounds like a lot of politics were at work here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Brazil won't be ready for 2014. They promised not to use taxpayers money, now they are. Russia is also potentially high risk, but fairly understandable as they have never hosted the World Cup. But I think we should look at why the WC has gone to potentially 4 "high-risk" countries in each of the last 4 World Cup years. The German World Cup was far more successful than South Africa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement