Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2018/2022 Decision to be made

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Who exactly had votes on this?
    Also how is that warner eijet still in ajob? - offtopic but still he's a clown
    These 22 people
    http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/bodies/exco.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

SlickRic wrote: »
    ha, only 2 votes.

it's Eurovision levels of ROFL.

Pretty much confirms that Warner turned his back following the Panorama documentary. He pretty much controls three votes himself, plus Geoff Thompson gets one. Four should have been England's minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

2022 1st round: Australia 1 vote, Japan 3 votes, Korea Republic 4 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 3 votes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Xavi6 wrote: »
    2022 1st round: Australia 1 vote, Japan 3 votes, Korea Republic 4 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 3 votes

Wow that is a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yes cause god forbid a guy get behind his country and support the dream of hosting the World Cup. How dare he.

Typical knuckle dragger mentality from that site.

United fans don't give a crap about England.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

One vote for Australia? :eek:
    And Qatar got an absolute majority on the first round?? This stinks.

That beggars belief but if you look at the make up of the Fifa committee its easy to see how Qatar got 11 votes.
    22 members and 6 from football powerhouses such as Tahiti,Guatemala,Trinidad,Cyprus,Thailand and Qatar.

RasTa wrote: »
    United fans don't give a crap about England.

Then why be hating on Arshavin?

One vote for Australia? :eek:
    And Qatar got an absolute majority on the first round?? This stinks.

Almost. They needed 12 votes. They eventually won it 14-8 vs USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's a total f88king joke

Russia in 2018, fair enough it's a valid choice evethough I would have preferred to see England get it.

But Qatar is just crazy

It shows just how corrupt FIFA are.

I hope the BBC or other just keeping coming with Documentaries to expose them over the coming years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Round 4: Qatar 14 votes and USA 8 votes

Round 3: Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 6 votes (Korea Republic eliminated)

Qatar only one short of winning it in first round. Japan 2 votes, Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 10 votes and USA 5 votes 2nd round

#2022 1st round: Australia 1 vote, Japan 3 votes, Korea Republic 4 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 3 votes

#2022 Qatar won in the fourth round of voting 14-8 over USA

2nd round: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 13 votes

1st round: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes
    From here

Qatar had it in the bag from the off, not even close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

dsmythy wrote: »
    Talking about the "injustice" of it in the English media. Almost makes me happy they didn't get it. Almost.

Its like when the crash out of a World Cup or bang on about 40 years of hurt. Its hard to listen to them at times.

Basically, the best countries at wining and dining executive committee members gets the votes! The methods of how hosts are picked should be more transparent but that will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

dsmythy wrote: »
    Talking about the "injustice" of it in the English media. Almost makes me happy they didn't get it. Almost.

Had USA or Australia got 2022 they probably wouldn't be so annoyed tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

JOKE ... F*cking JOKE ... Corrupt ... Russia - Mafia state, FIFA were paid off, Spain/Portugal should have gotten one , England the other ...

Spain/Portugal have fantastic stadiums, + Spain won the WC ffs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Qatar: Where alcohol is illegal. Homosexuals are not allowed. Do not recognise Israel because it's Jewish. Females are treated like second class citizens.

Ireland should leave FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

iMuse wrote: »
    From here

Qatar had it in the bag from the off, not even close

Something wrong there, Qatar went from 11 to 10 votes in the second round. Either the reports are wrong or someone didn't know how to vote. Or corruption.

the_monkey wrote: »
    JOKE ... F*cking JOKE ... Corrupt ... Russia - Mafia state, FIFA were paid off, Spain/Portugal should have gotten one , England the other ...

Spain/Portugal have fantastic stadiums, + Spain won the WC ffs...

Slight flaw in the plan there Ted....

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Qatar: Where alcohol is illegal. Homosexuals are not allowed. Do not recognise Israel because it's Jewish. Females are treated like second class citizens.

It's the WC though, they'll serve alcohol in "fan areas" and they said they'll allow Israel in, though Israel would be crazy to go IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Comments like this makes me happy they didn't get it:

"russia wouldnt even have the world cup if it wasnt for us. we invented the bloody sport."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The only comforting thing is the fact that Blatter will probably be dead by the time Qatar hosts a world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

FIFA give the world cup to one of the biggest countries in the world which has a bad problem with racism.

FIFA are just a corrup organisation. England was never going to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

amacachi wrote: »
    It's the WC though, they'll serve alcohol in "fan areas" and they said they'll allow Israel in, though Israel would be crazy to go IMO.

Still baffling how they got 11 votes.

I'm sure Al Qaeda are looking forward to 2022 ...

I'm sure Al Qaeda are looking forward to 2022 ...

Is that their centre forward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Just to put it into perspective. Qatar is smaller than Cork and Kerry put together.

Crazy stuff!

• Advertisement

Still baffling how they got 11 votes.

Oh don't get me wrong it's a joke that they got it, but we should try to stick to accurate criticisms. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

From the votes for 2018 it looks like there was some serious tactical voting to get England out in Round one. Netherlands/Belgium had 4 votes in round one yet as soon as England were eliminated, 2 of these went to Russia.

From the votes for 2018 it looks like there was some serious tactical voting to get England out in Round one. Netherlands/Belgium had 4 votes in round one yet as soon as England were eliminated, 2 of these went to Russia.

Clear as day mate, unbelievable stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Russia fair enough but Qatar? Shocking decision. I do feel sorry for England but that sympathy is being slowly but surely eroded by the media frenzy being whipped up right now.

Anyway, people taking joy at England's failure aren't really looking at the big picture. If Ireland qualified for the 2018 WC and I had a choice between seeing England or Russia host it, I know which one I would pick.

Then why be hating on Arshavin?

I wouldn't tar the whole United fanbase with a few posters on that site.

• Advertisement

Slight flaw in the plan there Ted....

?

why ?

Wasn't Spain/Portugal going for a joint 2018 bid ?

edit - ah ok they went for the 2018 one aswell as England ... OK Spain/Portugal should have gotten it ..

Here here ....

the_monkey wrote: »
    ?

why ?

Wasn't Spain/Portugal going for a joint 2018 bid ?

England weren't going for 2022.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Yes cause god forbid a guy get behind his country and support the dream of hosting the World Cup. How dare he.

Typical knuckle dragger mentality from that site.

Its bad but not half as bad as the bitter, venomous drivel you'd read on bluemoon in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its bad but not half as bad as the bitter, venomous drivel you'd read on bluemoon in fairness.

Every club has a "fans" forum like that to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Eastern Europe is doing well this decade. Poland and Ukraine have Euro 2012, Russia have the 2014 Winter Olympics and now they've landed the 2018 World Cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I'll say this about redcafe, it's the greatest comedy site on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Bit obsessed with City lately aren't you. I thought this thread was about the world cup bid.

karma_ wrote: »

That accolade goes to Bluemoon. I've never saw so many bitter posters. Comical stuff.

Isn't this thread about the WC bid :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Delighted for Russia and Qatar. Great to see football expanding into new markets Worldwide.

That beggars belief but if you look at the make up of the Fifa committee its easy to see how Qatar got 11 votes.
    22 members and 6 from football powerhouses such as Tahiti,Guatemala,Trinidad,Cyprus,Thailand and Qatar.
    Em it's called the World Cup not the European or South American Cup. Qatar deserve the tournament as much as anyone.

karma_ wrote: »

It's not the greatest but I do love these threads

http://www.redcafe.net/f7/bluemoon-goes-into-meltdown-287034/index21.html

http://www.redcafe.net/f7/rawk-goes-into-meltdown-2010-2011-a-301126/index26.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Who was the bird in the leopard skin dress

Mister men wrote: »
    Em it's called the World Cup not the European or South American Cup. Qatar deserve the tournament as much as anyone.

No one deserves the tournament. The tournament deserves to be in the place which will put on the best event for the teams and for the millions of people who will go to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Giving an International tournament to one of the most racist nations in the world has got to be the most stupid idea I can think of, it had to be England or Spain/Portugal.

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Who wants to go to Russia?
    I do. Fantastic country and people who are passionate about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You said the same about rawk before, what exactly do you expect from rival fan sites

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Bit obsessed with City lately aren't you. I thought this thread was about the world cup bid.

Not really, just replying to those that raised the issue of fansites.

Advertisement