Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2018/2022 Decision to be made

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Qatar doesn't make any sense. If they wanted to give it to somewhere which had never had it before then it should have gone to Australia. Instead they got one vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

slingerz wrote: »
    with the cooperation of the GAA Ireland actually COULD host it.

Not that it would ever happen though.

worst post ever.
    you seriously have no brain if you think this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

worst post ever.
    you seriously have no brain if you think this.

Good point.

Theres no way the GAA would co-operate.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Qatar doesn't make any sense. If they wanted to give it to somewhere which had never had it before then it should have gone to Australia. Instead they got one vote.

Apparently the carbon neutral factor and relocating of the stadiums to poorer countries afterwards gave them alot of brownie points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Mister men wrote: »
    Delighted for Russia and Qatar. Great to see football expanding into new markets Worldwide.

russia fair enough, they are equipped and big enough to hold it plus they have never got it before.

but qatar??? it makes no sense. 1.6 million population with islamic law as the justice system and poor footballing tradition and players will have to play in 40/50 degree heat and thats now imagine what the heat will be like in 12 years time.

ridiculous decision and proves how corrupt fifa are!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Dempsey wrote: »
    Apparently the carbon neutral factor and relocating of the stadiums to poorer countries afterwards gave them alot of brownie points

You have to laugh at the Carbon Neutral capacities of an Oil Nation :D

I do really like what they are doing with the stadiums after, lord knows they won't need them anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

They should just let Germany host it every 4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Paparazzo wrote: »

Can't argue with the Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

You have to laugh at the Carbon Neutral capacities of an Oil Nation :D

To be fair, the Aussies are fairly sh*t in that regard as well, seeing as coal is their biggest export, worth $aus 55bn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Mister men wrote: »
    I do. Fantastic country and people who are passionate about football.

I found Russia a mixed bag, Saint Petersburg is one of the most beautiful, cultural and welcoming cities I've been to, Moscow less so... but I'm a white European, I wouldn't fancy travelling there from Africa, or if I was gay and prone to public displays of affection. A worrying number of people in Russia do not like Africans or LGBT people, these are people I've met, my girlfriend is from Russia too and is adamant about this.

They do like their football all the same.

Qatar is a sh1thole with no respect for human life. I wouldn't step foot in the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Oh yes, this! German WC was amazing. Best football experience I've had. Everything was so easy.

Pitchers of beer for a €10 and McChicken Sandwich €2. The Germans do know how to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

smokedeels wrote: »
    I found Russia a mixed bag, Saint Petersburg is one of the most beautiful, cultural and welcoming cities I've been to, Moscow less so... but I'm a white European, I wouldn't fancy travelling there from Africa, or if I was gay and prone to public displays of affection. A worrying number of people in Russia do not like Africans or LGBT people, these are people I've met, my girlfriend is from Russia too and is adamant about this.

They do like their football all the same.

Qatar is a sh1thole with no respect for human life. I wouldn't step foot in the place.

Doha is grand. It's just very hot, your talking 42-48 in June/July. You can't say it's a sh1thole, fair enough, the people are pretty backwards but the city is beautiful in parts.

But, alas, it won't be Germany 06!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Disappointed its not in England, it would have been handy having it so close to home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Frisbee wrote: »

Fergies 'reaction' is probably what most people thought :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I wonder how much money did Alex Ferguson get for backing Qatars bid ?
    Himself and Zidane were at the Brazil-Argentina in Doha lately sitting up on massive thrones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wonder how much money did Alex Ferguson get for backing Qatars bid ?
    Himself and Zidane were at the Brazil-Argentina in Doha lately sitting up on massive thrones.

One quote for Ferguson showing his support please. Also, he has no power over any votes :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Well, there goes the quadrennial "WC Babes thread" for 2022...
    T0B2x.jpg

Lonely Planet actually lists this as an attraction there:
    Summer brings to the desert its own consolations, like mirages and halos of heat above the sand.

The sand storms will be a sight for sore eyes too.

64_gp2-qatar-sandstorm.jpg

IvySlayer wrote: »
    One quote for Ferguson showing his support please. Also, he has no power over any votes :confused:

I seen video of him talking up the bid at the conference after the match.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/worldcup/68319/default.aspx
    I would back the Qatar bid," Ferguson told a sports coference. "I admire their purpose and vision."

EDIT

Been looking for this video for the last hour, good article (and video) about the Qatar bid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10093703

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I think it's time various football associations showed some backbone and pooled together to tell FIFA to fúck off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I think it's time various football associations showed some backbone and pooled together to tell FIFA to fúck off.

It would be more sensible if they tried to oust the current hierarchy and got someone decent in, it would be a disaster if they split into independent federations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

karma_ wrote: »
    It would be more sensible if they tried to oust the current hierarchy and got someone decent in, it would be a disaster if they split into independent federations.

Absolutely, but with nobody running against Blatter in the next elections how likely is that? Seems you have to serve a long apprenticeship within the organisation which is corrupt to the core anyways. Might be better to force their hand. Something has to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

FIFA is without question one of the most corrupt organisation in many people's eyes.

It seems that the two world cup bids were built on oil money from Russia and Oil Money from Quatar.

FIFA have done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt on this one. The results were available long before they were announced.

Sure Blatter even had his own mafioso style speech "respect the family" before reading out the winners. Fkn ridiculous.

I hope the British media goes to town on FIFA and more and more investigative Journo's disclose the deeper corruption in this disgusting organisation that promotes fair play, but doesnt practise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Le King wrote: »
    Doha is grand. It's just very hot, your talking 42-48 in June/July. You can't say it's a sh1thole, fair enough, the people are pretty backwards but the city is beautiful in parts.

But, alas, it won't be Germany 06!!

The things I've read about Qatar, published by Amnesty amongst others, are horrific, we are getting into politics but considering soccers perceived attitude to homosexuality was a country with Qatars LGBT rights issues a wise choice?

Anyway... that's another topic. I've no issues with Qatar as a country/people, just the political system, if that's a separate entity.

Here's to a good world cup and perhaps a 35 year old Lionel Messi playing his last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Absolutely, but with nobody running against Blatter in the next elections how likely is that? Seems you have to serve a long apprenticeship within the organisation which is corrupt to the core anyways. Might be better to force their hand. Something has to be done.

UEFA hold ALL the cards and should have the stones to do something. Where is the money in football outside Europe, and thats the only thing Blatter and his like worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That suggestion is genuinely less ridiculous than hosting a world cup in Qatar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Glad Russia got it tbh, for various reasons.

Drumpot wrote: »
    FIFA is without question one of the most corrupt organisation in many people's eyes.

It seems that the two world cup bids were built on oil money from Russia and Oil Money from Quatar.

Time to start drilling at Rockall again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

why is there this biterness about russia and qatar getting the world cup

why keep going back to the tried and tested places that are already football strongholds..

How many people though Japan/Korea was a bad idea?? and it turned out to be pretty good after all...

Qatar is a great choice and we don't have to worry but Qatar will have amazing stadiums/infrastructure all sorted for the WC - and I'm sure Qatar will relax the rules on alcohol and such other things for the few weeks around the WC...

I really can't wait for Qatar 2022 now...

not so keen on Russia for the simple fact is that Eastern Europe is Eastern Europe and I don't think any amount of convincing me will change my mind about Eastern Europe being a kip...

but Russia will make the world cup great too - there not going to want to be seen as racist scumbags come the world cup and I don't think that'll be an issue come 2018...

All in all pretty happy with the results and hopefully if Ireland get to either I'll be going somewhere I'll never have been before and probably will be a once in a lifetime trip to whatever country for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

johnmcdnl wrote: »

why keep going back to the tried and tested places that are already football strongholds..

How many people though Japan/Korea was a bad idea?? and it turned out to be pretty good after all...

Qatar is a great choice and we don't have to worry but Qatar will have amazing stadiums/infrastructure all sorted for the WC - and I'm sure Qatar will relax the rules on alcohol and such other things for the few weeks around the WC...

not so keen on Russia for the simple fact is that Eastern Europe is Eastern Europe and I don't think any amount of convincing me will change my mind about Eastern Europe being a kip...

but Russia will make the world cup great too - there not going to want to be seen as racist scumbags come the world cup and I don't think that'll be an issue come 2018...

All in all pretty happy with the results and hopefully if Ireland get to either I'll be going somewhere I'll never have been before and probably will be a once in a lifetime trip to whatever country for me

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

What's Israel's take on this? Seeing as their citizens cannot enter Qatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

johnmcdnl wrote: »

Are you f**king serious? You are fine with Qatar getting a world cup but you go on to talk about Russia not wanting to be seen as racist scumbags.
    Do you even know where Qatar is let alone anything about the place?

Jesus.

Doubts remain over whether the country will be able to cope with an influx of approximately 400,000 fans.

The country currently has around 50,000 hotel rooms, but bid leaders have promised that 95,000 will be available come 2022.
    lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

I guess you can't be surprised by anything FIFA do. Here's a fact -
    ‎2010 Press Freedom Index rankings: Qatar 121st (out of 178), Russia 140th (just ahead of Malaysia, Colombia and Nigeria).

I don't need to go in to the culture,societies and government ruling in these countries. I won't mention corruption in Russia any further than acknowledging it. The same goes for human rights.

I'm all for using football to change for the good, but bringing african teams to Russia is not going to change Racist adult's opinions. (Not everyone or even close to is racist in Russia)

The clear problem here is Fifa. And it starts at the top. As far as i'm concerned, the majority of members have either seen or been approached and possibly involved with corruption since becoming part of Fifa. This truly is a classic 'old boys' club. It is sickening. Jack Warner's family had to return a million dollars or whatever it was because Jack Warner used his position sell tickets on the black market. This is a fact. That was 2006 and he was there voting today. There is plenty of other's voting today. Some have had to return isl money during the summer but we won't find out who. I'm fairly sure he (Warner) said something like "he wouldn't dignify his spit'( by spitting on Dale Jennings) when he accused him about the black market tickets. A year later it was proven!

The current executive committee has no right to rule. They are evil old men. I won't even get started on Joseph Blatter, with his past, it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel. It annoys me so much.

I want to english media to go to town, like they've just won the world cup. I want it to be the english media who uncover more dirt on them. I want them to help put them in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Gerty wrote: »
    I want to english media to go to town, like they've just won the world cup. I want it to be the english media who uncover more dirt on them. I want them to help put them in jail.

Pfft, Jennings has been running a one man crusade for years and gets very little backing for it.

Tbh most people working in football seem happy enough with FIFA the way it is, they gets their money and their kickbacks and the prospect of a job within the 'football family' when their involvement with real football comes to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Absolutely mental decsions for a lot of reasons. A lot of them have already been mentioned on here before (human rights, history of corruption etc etc). But the sheer logistics for fans travelling to the WC is just crazy. Russia have promised visa's for fans travelling with tickets; that's brilliant but a lot of the atmosphere around grounds and in the football 'villages' is created by those who travel without tickets who just want to enjoy the experience the WC frenzy and 'if' they can get a ticket then they'll go to a game.

After the SA World Cup, FIFA needed to bring it back to a European footballing stronghold and put on a well run and organised event. Now, given the results of the bids - the World Cup is inaccessible to most (oh and that's without looking at Russia's vastly spread out venues). But who cares, Blatter and co. will have their private planes and such to bring them to the four corners of the globe before their reign is over.

People will give out about Panorama and say it cost England, but as someone said on Twitter - ignoring corruption is accepting corruption. And I hope the English journo's tear those in the hierarchy a new one and uncover a lot more than what was on that program. I'm sure Blatter has a few skeletons under his front patio.

• Advertisement

the untitled user, you have quoted the wrong person there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The good news is that no-one in Europe needs to lick corrupt ass for a generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

how the hell are they going to fill the stadiums in qatar with under 2 million in the country? they wont get that many people going there, especially if there is a poor beer culture there, f*ck all pubs and social activies

2 essential fifa rules being ignored -

temps cannot be greater than 32 degrees.
    not more than 2 stadiums in the one city.

also, was the place not defined as high risk by fifa a few weeks ago?

madness taking it there, this decision stinks. stinks of money and bribes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

stinks of money and bribes.

it can't be anything but.

anyone who tries to argue differently is, quite simply, fúcking delusional.

Dempsey wrote: »
    the untitled user, you have quoted the wrong person there!

odd, no idea how that happened, apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I feel sorry for England but they have been really bad losers IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Every club has a "fans" forum like that to be honest

Really ? you don't happen to have the Chelsea one do you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if i got 2 votes out of 22, after having the best technical bid, and arguably the best presentation, and pretty much the best bid all round, then watched fúcking Qatar get 2022, then i'd be a fúcking sore loser too.

and it's only the media; every official England representative has been magnanimous in defeat from what i can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Sepp Blatter was asked who his favourite Qatar player was - he replied: "Eric Clapton".

spofifa.jpg
    FIFA inspection chief Harold Mayne-Nicholls of Chile, center, officials, and FIFA inspectors leave in a boat after visiting the Museum of Islamic Arts as part of the FIFA 2022 World Cup bid inspection tour on Wednesday in Doha. (AP)

http://arabnews.com/sports/article140186.ece

Wonder what Qatar would do for a vote?

Why? There doesn't seem to have been too much bitterness, Andy Anson's remarks are probably the worst:
    "There were other votes we thought we were going to get that would have taken us way into the second round and beyond. Some of those didn't materialise, I don't know which ones.

"It would be nice to know because, when people look you in the eye and promise you something, you tend to hope they live up to their word, but clearly that's not happened."

But at the same time when a bid does so well in the technical assessments and so poorly in the votes then questions really have to be answered as to why. Had it been me, I'd have been a hella pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Anyone see Arshavin at the ceremony? The Chap is some pi$s artist!!

On the decision itself, Roman Abramovich. Other than owning Chelsea.
    If him being there is not a sure sign that money is invovled, I really dont know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

the_monkey wrote: »
    Really ? you don't happen to have the Chelsea one do you ?

8 year olds lack the necessary wherewithal to set up such a forum. Give them a few years, they can spend their confirmation money on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

flahavaj wrote: »
    8 year olds lack the necessary wherewithal to set up such a forum. Give them a few years, they can spend their confirmation money on it.

Brilliant.

What age were you when united started dominating the EPL ?

how the hell are they going to fill the stadiums in qatar with under 2 million in the country? they wont get that many people going there, especially if there is a poor beer culture there, f*ck all pubs and social activies

2 essential fifa rules being ignored -

temps cannot be greater than 32 degrees.
    not more than 2 stadiums in the one city.

also, was the place not defined as high risk by fifa a few weeks ago?

madness taking it there, this decision stinks. stinks of money and bribes.

Not only that, but of all the candidates for both 2018 and 2022, guess the only two countries that had a "High Risk" category according to the FIFA evaluations.

Yes. Correct. Unbelievable but true.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/33/59/45/bid_evaluation_report_1911.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement