Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2018/2022 Decision to be made

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

The Free visa thing is overkill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    From Twitter -

:pac:
    I saw that they should of photoshoped a flare into his hand too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyone else laugh when Gerrard had to say 'United' in the final VT for England's presentation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Gerrard said United with so much hate :D
    SlickRic wrote: »
    anyone else laugh when Gerrard had to say 'United' in the final VT for England's presentation?

Thank it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

No visa plus free transport :eek:

Did he say only for ticket holders? Don't a lot pf people normally travel with no tickets and hope to find some out there or just to go to the fan parks etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

slingerz wrote: »
    every sane irish person should hope england get 2018. it makes getting to the whole spectale so much simpler
    so boring, you really want to hang out in bristol, milton keyes, manchester for a few days, no id say irish people will just fly over for a match and come back home. won't be as fun as other places id say.
    russia stadiums look class and are mostly being built already for other occasions, the free travel and visa free situation is a great plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Yeah I did, I was thinking to myself it must have killed him to say that - it looked like it anyways :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

slingerz wrote: »
    every sane irish person should hope england get 2018. it makes getting to the whole spectale so much simpler

plus the knock on Economic benefits from tourists imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Beckham's speech, if you missed it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9250670.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I wonder if England already having the Olympics might count against them? FIFA might want to spread around the big sporting events a bit.

MOG7 wrote: »
    Did he say only for ticket holders? Don't a lot pf people normally travel with no tickets and hope to find some out there or just to go to the fan parks etc.?

If you hold a ticket you go on trains for free. Does sound like a crime hotspot!

I wonder if England already having the Olympics might count against them? FIFA might want to spread around the big sporting events a bit.
    The infrastructure will probably be a big plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    not a tiny bit id say! might slightly influence the second or third rounds of votes if that happens though.
    they all should have their top 2 bids decided by now

Anyone else feel snubbed they didn't have Cead mille failte go russia at the end :P

Anyone else feel snubbed they didn't have Cead mille failte go russia at the end :P

Riverdance would've been cool.

Sounds like Russia have it going by Sepp.

Riverdance would've been cool.

Sounds like Russia have it going by Sepp.
    yeah sounded like he was going to say "i cant award you the world cup....until a couple of hours time"

Russia getting it really would be a joke.

i know they need it the most, but that is no reason to give it to them.

Spain/Portugal and England are the sensible picks, and after a difficult couple of World Cups for FIFA to get ready, I'd like to think that FIFA might go for one of the easier options.

England's bid is best by a distance IMO.

ziggy wrote: »

It is all just a bit of show for the gathering media and all, to make a big day out of it and all that, rather than just coming out and saying England have got it or Russia or whatever.

• Advertisement

Russia getting it really would be a joke.

i know they need it the most, but that is no reason to give it to them.

Spain/Portugal and England are the sensible picks, and after a difficult couple of World Cups for FIFA to get ready, I'd like to think that FIFA might go for one of the easier options.

England's bid is best by a distance IMO.
    pfff giving it to england because its "easy" would be ridiculus.
    shouldnt it be about improving the the host country and spreading football to countries not already saturated with football culture.
    the fact that russia need it the most seems like the biggest valid reason to give it to them!

adamski8 wrote: »
    pfff giving it to england because its "easy" would be ridiculus.
    shouldnt it be about improving the the host country and spreading football to countries not already saturated with football culture.
    the fact that russia need it the most seems like the biggest valid reason to give it to them!

yes, England is already saturated in football culture, but Russia would be an absolutely horrible country to hold it in IMO.

it's not the safest of places, plus it's fúcking huge which potentially makes commuting tough.

an English World Cup would be the best spectacle, and it would be the most professionally run.

what's wrong with wanting an efficient World Cup, instead of going out of your way to bring it to countries that 'need' the competition?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

yes, England is already saturated in football culture, but Russia would be an absolutely horrible country to hold it in IMO.

it's not the safest of places, plus it's fúcking huge which potentially makes commuting tough.

an English World Cup would be the best spectacle, and it would be the most professionally run.

what's wrong with wanting an efficient World Cup, instead of going out of your way to bring it to countries that 'need' the competition?

Did you not watch the presentation?

well i agree it would probably "run" the best
    but alot of those things your complaining about were said about south africa and that seemed to go down well.
    If it was in england, yes i would go there and enjoy it but i think its the wrong choice and puss out decesion by fifa.

karma_ wrote: »
    Did you not watch the presentation?

i didn't.

so is it safe and not big anymore?

the only thing they could solve is the size i suppose, if they have everything around Moscow.

i didn't.

so is it safe and not big anymore?

the only thing they could solve is the size i suppose, if they have everything around Moscow.

Well It's been noted that the venues are clustered around a smaller area and free travel has been offered which negates two of your main concerns. As for teh safety issues I really couldn't say, I know they have a hooligan problem but knowing the Russians they wouldn't tolerate that at a WC event.

i think its the wrong choice and puss out decesion by fifa.

you're entitled to believe it's the wrong option, absolutely.

but to say it's a 'puss-out' decision is a bit much.

they'll have had South Africa and Brazil for two successive World Cups; two 'difficult' venues to stage the competition.

it's not ALL about spreading football around the world. and anyway, there's other ways to do that than just staging a World Cup in one of the lesser prepared nations.

sometimes it might be advantageous to just give it to a nation who can pull off a well-rounded, professionally run competition without any worries.

Germany has been, from an organisational point-of-view, probably the best run World Cup of the last 20 years. i think England could do a similar job, and i'd love to see what they can do.

plus, from a biased point of view, it'd be fúcking simple to make my way over and seen the games for myself. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

What time is the decision made?

I hope England get it, for obvious reasons,

I feel there should be no reasons that it moscow to Russia, there is no need for Fifa to be russian into giving them the World Cup, i know it will give all the little kids over there dreams of Tsardom and breed a culture but that is besides the point.

Although in saying that they still might get it, they might feel there chances are not soviet.

• Advertisement

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    What time is the decision made?

the voting happens LIVE at 3pm on Sky Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

3pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Spain or England...

Russia would be a joke...

Le King wrote: »
    Spain or England...

Russia would be a joke...

I really don't get the whole 'Russia would be a joke...' stance, would it be any more of a joke than SA?

I liked the Russian presentation, I thought it was up there with the best and I think it will be them, England or the Iberians who get it, and whichever one it is should be a better WC than the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

the voting happens LIVE at 3pm on Sky Sports.

Thanks for the emphasis on live, really gave it the sky feel to it.

Cheers slick, must try and do some sneaky browsing during work to watch this :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

After watching the presentations I think it's definitely between England and Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

karma_ wrote: »
    I really don't get the whole 'Russia would be a joke...' stance, would it be any more of a joke than SA?

I liked the Russian presentation, I thought it was up there with the best and I think it will be them, England or the Iberians who get it, and whichever one it is should be a better WC than the last one.

SA was a joke. Terribly held. Corrupt tickets left right and centre. Let's not forget here that it was given to South Africa for one reason only so yes, it wasn't on the merits of the competition and was a joke. Also, Russia would be a terrible place for it. Simple as.

FIFA is a registered charity with a bunch of corrupt, bribe taking individuals (taking a bribe is legal in Switzerland). If they were so concerned about the welfare of the South African economy they could of made a donation from all the bribes they take in.

The whole thing is a joke. Look at 2014 Brazil. Ricardo Teixeira, a disgrace of a man. People like him and Blatter are ruining football for financial gain. The whole thing is completely rigged. It's already been decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I hope England get it because I want my first live WC to be close.
    Anywhere but Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

What's the story with the Spain/Port bid? I'm not watching the presentations here but no-one here seems to be mentioning their chances. Does it seem like they're out of the running?

Seems that Russia & England had impressive presentations but surely the voters know who they're voting for before today and so the presentations are irrelevant?

Btw I stuck a few quid on Russia, Spain/Port, USA and Australia cos they all had decent prices. Best financial situation for me would be Spain/Port and Australia. Tbh I'd quite like that as the outcome (from a non-financial perspective) but I'd kinda like England or the USA either

Le King wrote: »
    SA was a joke. Terribly held. Corrupt tickets left right and centre. Let's not forget here that it was given to South Africa for one reason only so yes, it wasn't on the merits of the competition and was a joke. Also, Russia would be a terrible place for it. Simple as.
    eh how was SA a joke? all the reports ive heard some from friends who went there said it was excellent?!!!
    seemed like the media up to it was terrible but everyone had the opposite opinion afterwards

and i thought it was given to SA because they were doing the continent rotation policy and SA was the best choice for africa, likewise brazil in south america :confused:

of course there is bribes going on everywhere but hopefully everyone is bribing everyone so it might level out :D;)

so why would russia be a terrible place? security will be high, stadiums are being built, alot of transport will be free, visa relaxation. They have alot of problems with the domestic game so this is a great oppurtunity to address them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

so why would russia be a terrible place? security will be high, stadiums are being built, alot of transport will be free, visa relaxation. They have alot of problems with the domestic game so this is a great oppurtunity to address them.

If I was black I'd nearly fear for my life there going to a football match.
    Plus if some Eastern European team get through there wold be absolute destruction.

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    If I was black I'd nearly fear for my life there going to a football match.
    Plus if some Eastern European team get through there wold be absolute destruction.
    well you may be right there but from what ive heard russians just dont like foreign people living and working there and not just a hatred of black people in that they would just attact tourists.
    im sure we're gonna hear that in brazil all the tourists will be kidnapped and held for ransom too just like in SA everyone would be carjacked and killed

well you may be right there but from what ive heard russians just dont like foreign people living and working there and not just a hatred of black people in that they would just attact tourists.
    im sure we're gonna hear that in brazil all the tourists will be kidnapped and held for ransom too just like in SA everyone would be carjacked and killed

which are all further reasons for FIFA to have a safe, professional World Cup in 2018.

why risk it every year?

common sense says it should;

1) be in Europe; for it to potentially be 20 years (seen as USA look like they'll get 2022) before it comes back to Europe, which is basically the centre of the football world, and convenient for the most spectators and lovers of football, is a bit of a joke; and

2) be in England as it is the most professional and able bid.

i firmly believe that only politics and bribery will stop England getting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

This whole bidding process is a farce from start to finish.
    Too much "wooing", i.e. pocket lining going on.

JPA wrote: »
    This whole bidding process is a farce from start to finish.
    Too much "wooing", i.e. pocket lining going on.

politicians in corruption shocker ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

politicians in corruption shocker....

Except to me it's not politics, it's football.
    Idealistic maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Will Qatar be staging the games indoors if they win?

mike65 wrote: »
    Will Qatar be staging the games indoors if they win?

I think their stadia are air conditioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

As an Englishman, it's pretty obvious who I'm praying for when it comes to 2018. Having the Olympics is nice but that is nothing compared to having the World Cup. I don't think we could have done anymore, having taken onboard the criticisms of the failed bid for 2006 we seem to have put on the best presentation and have the best package. David Beckham looks more and more the Statesman all the time.

If we don't get it then I hope that Spain do. They're a proper football nation with a good infrastructure and are well equipped to host. I'm all for spreading the game around the World, etc, etc, but after SA and Brazil it's time to host it somewhere which won't need quite so much work.

As for 2022... selfishly I'm hoping for America. It's my favourite country and the idea of spending a month there watching football is extremely appealing! Unselfishly I think Australia would put on a great tournament and I'd like to see them get it. Surely it can't go to Qatar...?

which are all further reasons for FIFA to have a safe, professional World Cup in 2018.

why risk it every year?

common sense says it should;

1) be in Europe; for it to potentially be 20 years (seen as USA look like they'll get 2022) before it comes back to Europe, which is basically the centre of the football world, and convenient for the most spectators and lovers of football, is a bit of a joke; and

2) be in England as it is the most professional and able bid.

i firmly believe that only politics and bribery will stop England getting this.
    well i think the rotation thing was stupid, SA and brazil didnt have competition to make their bid really great.

russia is in europe! germany had it 2006 that was nice and central for most europeans.
    with your point 2 i think we just have different view on why a WC should be awarded.

anyway, dispite what my previous posts might have seemed to suggest i think england would put on a great WC.
    I just take issue with people just saying "russia, what a joke if they get it"

sorry, i should've been specific with 'Central Europe'.

that's fair enough.

ha, Putin has said he'll come to Zurich but only if Russia win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement