Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2018/2022 Decision to be made

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

SlickRic wrote: »
    sorry, i should've been specific with 'Central Europe'.

that's fair enough.

ha, Putin has said he'll come to Zurich but only if Russia win.
    i know you meant central/western europe.
    but russia isnt far away from central europe, its far away for ireland, uk, spain, portugal.

betting markets are suspended, england were ~@2 and russia ~@3.6 spain/port ~@7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Qatar would be quite good thinking about.

GMT+3 so only an hour worse off than SouthAfrica2010 which was fine timewise for European TV watchers.

A tiny country, smaller than Leinster so anyone who makes the effort to go would be in able to take in loads of games at little extra cost, instead of having to travel 500 miles from ciry to city.

In Qatar you could probably get to 1 game a day for the group stages quite comfortably.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

As long as none of Russia, Qatar, Japan and Korea get a World Cup awarded to them today I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Really hoping for England. Olympics and World cup within 6 years of each other would be great.
    I'm on the edge of my seat here. I hear Three O Clock. Is that definite? Don't want to miss the announcement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

5starpool wrote: »
    As long as none of Russia, Qatar, Japan and Korea get a World Cup awarded to them today I'll be happy enough.

Also hoping Russia dont get it, Spain/Portugal preferably, Australia would be my choice for 22 but would not mind going back to Japan, thought it great there the last time,

I presume 3 o'clock is the start of the process? Assuming there are multiple rounds it could take a while probably unless all the voting is already done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

adamski8 wrote: »
    i know you meant central/western europe.
    but russia isnt far away from central europe, its far away for ireland, uk, spain, portugal.

Russia is a six hour flight from Dublin. If Australia get 2022 that's the equivalent of an Aussie having to fly from Perth to Brisbane to watch a game.

When you consider the distance some people would have to travel in their own country Irish people would have little be moaning about to go to the other side of the continent. Not everything can be on your doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Hope to God England don't get it. They'll never shut the hell up about it until the first kick off in 2018. Also don't like the fact that they've turned it into a political popularity competition. Not sure why the presecne of your man William, Cameron and Beckham should change should sway votes. Keep it about the sport and decide on that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Why ?

Ah no real reason, just personal preference really :D. I suppose I'd nearly like to see the English bid fail just because they allegedly tried to silence the journo's re: corruption investigation.
    I'd be hoping to go to that world cup if we qualified and Russia would be a cool spot to holiday around for the 3 weeks we'd be there (assuming honourable defeat in L16). It's not the place you'd head generally, so the football tournament would be a great excuse. Plus I like Russia, full of crazies.
    I love Holland and like Belgium, get the feeling they'd run an excellent tournament and there'd be a super vibe there.
    Iberia would be brilliant, and logically themselves and England should be favourites, but, well i don't usually go with logic :p

Of course the English bid would be excellent for this country as you can imagine there will be oodles of friendly games and training camps here in the run up and also if we happened to qualify we'd be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

well you may be right there but from what ive heard russians just dont like foreign people living and working there and not just a hatred of black people in that they would just attact tourists.
    im sure we're gonna hear that in brazil all the tourists will be kidnapped and held for ransom too just like in SA everyone would be carjacked and killed
    SA, Brazil and Russia all in a row isn't great, imo. I wouldn't feel confident for m safety in any of those countries, tbh. I hope England get it, because it wouldn't need much work and they'd have the experience of the Olympics in 2012 for a big event. Plus, it'd be handy enough to get to games for us.

I really want USA to get it in 2022, because a month in America would be epic in itself, but with the World Cup added in, well fcuk me.:pac:

It's all irrelevant anyways, as the world is gonna end in 2012.:pac:

agreed xavi. To think that ryanair and aerlingus arent going to jack up their prices for flight would be naive too. so people are going to end up spending a couple of hundred to travel 30mins to a country that holds no great difference to our own (yawn smiley)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

5starpool wrote: »
    I presume 3 o'clock is the start of the process? Assuming there are multiple rounds it could take a while probably unless all the voting is already done?

The voting is taking place around now at Fifa headquarters. The live tv show is for the opening of the envelope, probably preceded by endless faffing about with Pele, Blatter, Shakira, Seal etc.

C'mon Iberia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Hope to God England don't get it. They'll never shut the hell up about it until the first kick off in 2018. Also don't like the fact that they've turned it into a political popularity competition. Not sure why the presecne of your man William, Cameron and Beckham should change should sway votes. Keep it about the sport and decide on that alone.

it shows a holistic attitude to the event, and that the bid is supported by everyone in the country.

it's a perfect and legitimate move.

plus, Prince William is the President of the FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Kingdom wrote: »
    Ah no real reason, just personal preference really :D. I suppose I'd nearly like to see the English bid fail just because they allegedly tried to silence the journo's re: corruption investigation.

At least be honest about your reasons. There's no way I'm buying that one! Spain & Russia have both criticised the media investigation, FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Announcement has been put back 10 minutes. Blatter must have ordered more dessert :pac:

must have gone to a second or third round so. hope we still have time for a good boring speech or two before the anouncement

The Dutch video of Hiddink was fantastic, especially the bit where he whipped off the tache :D

If you haven't seen it it's well worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Beefy78 wrote: »
    At least be honest about your reasons. There's no way I'm buying that one! Spain & Russia have both criticised the media investigation, FFS!

Yea, the reason give by Kingdom was a bit wishy-washy if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Beefy78 wrote: »

What?!
    Why would I be dishonest and then explain why I want other countries to host?

Same question to the Priest.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Dutch video of Hiddink was fantastic, especially the bit where he whipped off the tache :D

If you haven't seen it it's well worth a look.

And here it is -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

SlickRic wrote: »
    it shows a holistic attitude to the event, and that the bid is supported by everyone in the country.

it's a perfect and legitimate move.

plus, Prince William is the President of the FA.

So sending 3 well known public figures shows the bid is supported by everyone in the country? Great logic there pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Delayed by 15 minutes.

3rd round now think SS

SSN: Qatar have 2022! Unconfirmed reports :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't often say this, but come on England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I would like to think that Ireland would indirectly benefit if England wins this bid

So sending 3 well known public figures shows the bid is supported by everyone in the country? Great logic there pal.

William represents the dignitaries and the FA.

Cameron represents the country, as in he runs it.

David Beckham is an English footballer, the biggest footballing export they have, and it could be argued represents the footballers, and is a success story for English football.

the fact they're public figures helps, but they're not just there because they're celebrities; there is a bigger reason why they're representing England.

um, pal.

i was saying they were heavy favourites with the betting. i guess money talks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

That would be a disgrace.

Come on England 2018 and USA 2022!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Kingdom wrote: »
    What?!
    Why would I be dishonest and then explain why I want other countries to host?

Same question to the Priest.

Your first reason was because the English team tried to pressure the BBC not to broadcast their investigation which seems a crazy thing to have a go at the about considering that Spain & Russia have publically criticised that same investigation.

Al Jazeera reporting Qatar as well :mad:

Have Qatar ever even qualified for the WC? I have a mate that just moved there though, so thats a bed sorted! :D

Anyway, still not definite

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

GrantWahl from twitter...

Qatari delegation members getting handshakes & some hugs from FIFA voters. Hmmmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Come on England!

i've a very funny feeling Russia are going to sneak this; even though i don't want them to.

an under-tapped market, i believe, will prove too much for them.

fúcking Qatar. if that's true, it's only about money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Qatar has the $$$$$$
    Love Russia to get the other one!
    Make Little Arshavin happy!

Well if Qatar got it, I dont expect England will get it. Russia I'd say :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

No, I hope it's not Qatar. If it is I'd love to hear the explanation.

• Advertisement

Qatar getting it is jsut stupid. All fans within short distances of each other (which could be a good thing, but could be bad too) alcohol only within designated areas. Stupid temperatures outside the air conditioned stadiums, rubbish football country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The Middle East needs the world cup...

untapped potential...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Paleface

A Qatar world cup?! As John Giles would say.... scratchy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Insane if Qatar have it. God knows what the Middle East will be like come 2022.

efb wrote: »
    The Middle East needs the world cup...

untapped potential...
    and lots and lots of money!!!!!!!!
    those stadiums are gonna be the best the world has ever seen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Betting seems to be suspended on the 2022 WC so it looks like Qatar have it, rubbish choice compared with the US and Aus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Wonder if it will turn out to be a Qatar & Spain/Portugal double? Fishy!!!

iMuse wrote: »
    Betting seems to be suspended on the 2022 WC so it looks like Qatar have it, rubbish choice compared with the US and Aus
    could be the best world cup ever!

Apparently Blatter doesnt favour joint-hosting nations so if it comes to his vote England/Russia will get the nod.

Qatar seemingly getting it only enhances my feeling that this is Russia's.

mmmm politics, money and corruption.

could be the best world cup ever!

Could be but won't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement