Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

How far down the preference can people see this going on Friday? Had planned to give a preference of 1 to 10.

Am now thinking would it be worth my while giveing an 11th preference to one of the last three, in reality I would want none of them in, but if I had to choose one, ie, the best of a bad bunch.

Anyone else voting tactically. Both in terms of who they want in, and who they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

irish-stew wrote: »
    How far down the preference can people see this going on Friday? Had planned to give a preference of 1 to 10.

Am now thinking would it be worth my while giveing an 11th preference to one of the last three, in reality I would want none of them in, but if I had to choose one, ie, the best of a bad bunch.

Anyone else voting tactically. Both in terms of who they want in, and who they dont.

I'm probably going to go one to 11 to keep the worst of them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Who would your list be of who you wouldn't want to get in,rather than those of who you would want in?

Can't understand why Eamonn Scanlon was even put forward. Two hopes of him getting in.
    I don't want to see Susan O'Keefe get in.

A lot of negative comments associated with Marc MacSharry so far,think it's a bit harsh. Fair enough aimed at existing Fianna Fail T.D's,the lad hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet and a young lease of life could do the town well.
    He'll be in my top 3.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Who would your list be of who you wouldn't want to get in,rather than those of who you would want in?

Can't understand why Eamonn Scanlon was even put forward. Two hopes of him getting in.
    I don't want to see Susan O'Keefe get in.

A lot of negative comments associated with Marc MacSharry so far,think it's a bit harsh. Fair enough aimed at existing Fianna Fail T.D's,the lad hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet and a young lease of life could do the town well.
    He'll be in my top 3.

Marc MacSharry is top of my 'keep them out' list. Having attended the big ticket and the claiming our future debates, he came across as arrogant and obnoxious. He was particularly snide and unlikeable at the claiming our future debate, when faced with tough questions he became veritably abusive towards the audience and fellow candidates. He had plenty of time to prove himself in the seanad. He says he started the save our services movement but he voted the removal of the services through the seanad just like the rest of them. He's proven that he'll toe the party line and sell us down the river. I can't put into words how much I want to see him kept out. So much so that I'm actually going to give a low preference to Scanlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 czarak

irish-stew - I wrote a couple of posts in the last page or two of this thread about exactly this topic. I'm not a member of any party and elements of Labour, Fine Gael and The Greens appeal to me. I'm voting Susan O'Keefe number 1 all issues considered. I detest FF but I will be using all my preferences, including putting one of the FF candidates ahead of the other at 12 and 13.

It's an entirely possible scenario that it could come down to a race between the two FF candidates for the third seat - while it would make me sick to see our constituency return a FFer to the next Dail, I do have an opinion on which out of the two of them it should be if it comes down to it and in that most dire of scenarios I want my opinon heard, that means I need to vote 12 and 13.

I think everyone else should - it's human nature to shy away from making a choice about two candidates when they're so far down your list and your favoured candidates are already gone (or above the quota), but particularly if you want FF out above all, make sure you vote at least 1 - 11 or else you're not expressing that opinion.

• Advertisement

Must watch that Quackles,haven't gotten around to it. Coming across like that isn't going to do yourself any favours.
    I'm not surprised though about getting nothing done in the Seanad. In fact I'd be more surprised if a Senator got anything done.

Where does John Perry live and Michael Colreavy does anyone know?

Quackles wrote: »
    Marc MacSharry is top of my 'keep them out' list. Having attended the big ticket and the claiming our future debates, he came across as arrogant and obnoxious. He was particularly snide and unlikeable at the claiming our future debate, when faced with tough questions he became veritably abusive towards the audience and fellow candidates.

Saw this video posted on Facebook today, he made a very insulting remark to Susan O'Keefe at thebigticket.ie debate about her pink bra campaign and was generally loud and obnoxious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apdd7VTXWEc

You'd think he wasn't running for the party which removed the Cancer Services from Sligo in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Where does John Perry live and Michael Colreavy does anyone know?
    ballymote i think and colreavy is from Leitrim

Thanks Forza.
    I'll be disappointed if someone that represents Sligo town doesn't get in.

• Advertisement

Thanks Forza.
    I'll be disappointed if someone that represents Sligo town doesn't get in.

I'm sure so will the people from Ballymote if Perry doesn't and Manorhamilton if Colreavey doesn't and so on and so on.

This type of sentiment is the epitome of the gombeenism that has ruined our country.

Pick the candidate who you believe is best for the whole constituency. I'm from Sligo Town, the fourth generation of my family living on the same street and if I thought a Sligo town candidate was likely in office to favour the electorate in Sligo town in his or her decision making over anywhere else in the constituency, I'd hold that as a stain on his or her character.

Yes,Ballymote and Manor,the major areas in the constituency.

By the way,it's for small business owners in the town that I'd like to see a candidate from town get in.

Yes,Ballymote and Manor,the major areas in the constituency.
    By the way,it's for small business owners in the town that I'd like to see a candidate from town get in.

On your first point - it's obviously clear that Sligo is the largest town in the constituency - however that fact has no impact whatsoever on the point I made in my last post. Unless of course you think that by some quirk of geography the most able candidates for political office can only come from the constituency's largest town?

Your second point - what?

czarak wrote: »
    On your first point - it's obviously clear that Sligo is the largest town in the constituency - however that fact has no impact whatsoever on the point I made in my last post. Unless of course you think that by some quirk of geography the most able candidates for political office can only come from the constituency's largest town?

Your second point - what?

Oh you got me. I think males in Sligo town are able to produce better politicians through their sperm than other parts of Sligo/Leitrim. No,just because I'd rather see a politician from Sligo town get in ahead of someone out the sticks doesn't mean that. Don't get me wrong though,I'm not going to just vote for someone if they're from Sligo town ahead of Ballymote for example.

Small businesses in town are not going to be likely to ring up a T.D in Manor they don't know if they have issues or looking for solutions.

irish-stew - I wrote a couple of posts in the last page or two of this thread about exactly this topic. I'm not a member of any party and elements of Labour, Fine Gael and The Greens appeal to me. I'm voting Susan O'Keefe number 1 all issues considered. I detest FF but I will be using all my preferences, including putting one of the FF candidates ahead of the other at 12 and 13.

It's an entirely possible scenario that it could come down to a race between the two FF candidates for the third seat - while it would make me sick to see our constituency return a FFer to the next Dail, I do have an opinion on which out of the two of them it should be if it comes down to it and in that most dire of scenarios I want my opinon heard, that means I need to vote 12 and 13.

I think everyone else should - it's human nature to shy away from making a choice about two candidates when they're so far down your list and your favoured candidates are already gone (or above the quota), but particularly if you want FF out above all, make sure you vote at least 1 - 11 or else you're not expressing that opinion.

I seen them couple of posts, thanks. I'm just wondering how far, in reality the count could possibly go. As I said, I am currently voting 1 - 10. For me, preferences 9 and 10, I have no real connection with, they have not really done anything to sway me, but I will vote them to keep out 11, 12, and 13.

In my case there are three, I definatly do not want in, for varying reasons, and it will go against all my current thoughts, to give 1 or 2 of them even a low preference to keep the other 1 or 2 out.

In relation to tatical voting for the top seats, and this is just a thought. At this point, its quite clear that FG are going to be in goverment, either being the sole party, or as a coalition. And what peoples thoughts are givng their first prefence to another party, so that they could form a possible coalition to keep an eye on FG, or gain enough seats to have a heard voice on national issues, not just local.

Either way, weather or not tactics could decide the top, my 1 to 3/4 is already decided.

Oh you got me. I think males in Sligo town are able to produce better politicians through their sperm than other parts of Sligo/Leitrim. No,just because I'd rather see a politician from Sligo town get in ahead of someone out the sticks doesn't mean that. Don't get me wrong though,I'm not going to just vote for someone if they're from Sligo town ahead of Ballymote for example.

Small businesses in town are not going to be likely to ring up a T.D in Manor they don't know if they have issues or looking for solutions.

I think this is more of an issue for lesser populated areas. At the end of the day, if a TD from a small locality isn't doing the business for Sligo town, he might get in once but he won't get in again. However, it's easy enough to focus on the large town and ignore the countryside, as it's in the more densely populated areas that they'll be relying on for re-election. Regardless of who gets in, Sligo town wouldn't be forgotten.

Do you know what the job of a TD is? It's to work in the parliament, to draft legislation, scrutinse legislation that other TDs/parties draft and work in other parliamentary roles such as committees.

It has nothing to do with solving local issues for local businesses or citizens that are not part of national concern. Yes, many TDs have done this, but that is again, an example of the cancerous gombeenism that has ruined the country.

Do you know what the job of a TD is? It's to work in the parliament, to draft legislation, scrutinse legislation that other TDs/parties draft and work in other parliamentary roles such as committees.

It has nothing to do with solving local issues for local businesses or citizens that are not part of national concern. Yes, many TDs have done this, but that is again, an example of the cancerous gombeenism that has ruined the country.

I'd be a good way to agreeing with you, local issues are important, although in the current climate, I'm more concerned with whats happening nationally. Yes there are important local issues, such as the disgrace that our cancer services are, being connected to the national transport network, these are local issues that have a national effect and visa versa, that our local TDs, can argue on and try and resolve. But for most local issues, such as pot hole strung road that goes no where in particular, thats what out local councilers are for.

Hopefully, this is something that the political reform proposals will look at,

Employment and small businesses are at the forefront of national concern. The job of a T.D is to best serve the people of the constituency that they represent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Redders825

Marc MacSharry is top of my 'keep them out' list. Having attended the big ticket and the claiming our future debates, he came across as arrogant and obnoxious. He was particularly snide and unlikeable at the claiming our future debate, when faced with tough questions he became veritably abusive towards the audience and fellow candidates. He had plenty of time to prove himself in the seanad. He says he started the save our services movement but he voted the removal of the services through the seanad just like the rest of them. He's proven that he'll toe the party line and sell us down the river. I can't put into words how much I want to see him kept out. So much so that I'm actually going to give a low preference to Scanlon.

Totally agree! The last thing i want to see is McSharry getting in, without a shadow of a doubt, he is in it for himself. He wants the status which goes with the job and will, as mentioned above, sell us down the river.

While I agree to a point, there are some large scale local issues, such as the hospital, bringing enterprise to the area etc, where you want to make sure you have a strong local voice up there to properly convey the impact of decisions on our communities. Otherwise, why bother having local representatives at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

I completely agree that a TD SHOULD look after national issues but most TDs bring home the bacon as well. So far the north west has been left so far behind on every type of infastructure and funding we either need to vote in someone who will grab around them for sligo and care not what they are thought of nationally. No major IDA jobs in years, road development stops when it meets the NW, no gas for sligo, I could go on but look up a national map of any inafastructure and we stick out like a sore thumb. All local Tds so far have kept very quiet so not to upset their east coast bosses. I think perry will grab whatever silver he can and hope the others do to. Once the balance has been redressed a bit then we can look at national politics again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apdd7VTXWEc

You'd think he wasn't running for the party which removed the Cancer Services from Sligo in the first place!

Typical FF'er but on a bigger scale. That knob isn't even elected and he's dictating what people should and shouldn't think. 'I' did this and 'I' did that, and "don't you forget it". Who the hell does he think he is?
    Redders825 wrote: »
    Totally agree! The last thing i want to see is McSharry getting in, without a shadow of a doubt, he is in it for himself. He wants the status which goes with the job and will, as mentioned above, sell us down the river.

As above. Personally, I'll be voting for my top 3, and then enie meenie minie moe for the rest, except for FF. I will vote for everyone except the, to do my best to keep them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Typical FF'er but on a bigger scale. That knob isn't even elected and he's dictating what people should and shouldn't think. 'I' did this and 'I' did that, and "don't you forget it". Who the hell does he think he is?

As above. Personally, I'll be voting for my top 3, and then enie meenie minie moe for the rest, except for FF. I will vote for everyone except the, to do my best to keep them out.

What an oaf a typical mcsharry if ever there was one, he did nothing but make o'keefe look like a class act, she did more damage than he could ever have by saying nothing. she's moved up my preferences a few spots having watched that and a few other bits. hrh is going to claim he invented sliced bread next as well as having a big hand in discovering evolution, might as well he's claiming everything else.

Promethius,what do you mean by 'an oaf of a macsharry if ever there was one'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

On Drivetime this evening Michael Colreavy stated, that on the 2nd of July 2008 Senator HRH Mac Sharry voted for a motion, which effectively removed the cancer services from Sligo Hospital.
    Senator Mac Sharry had the arrogance to acuse Michael Colreavy of spinning lies to the public, despite this being a matter of public record. http://debates.oireachtas.ie/seanad/...7/02/00008.asp
    He has some nerve considering that he has spent the entire campaign lying, by trying to pretend that he has not spent the last 9 years sitting in the Seanad voting to implement the maFFia policies which have crippled this country, whilst earning in excess of E1million between salary and expenses to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We got this letter yesterday. What a complete waste of money. We asked for some advice on a matter three years ago. We got it sorted in the end ourselves and were about a month waiting for a return call.
    We already got a calendar from him this year. It makes me angry to see money wasted in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm probably going to go one to 11 to keep the worst of them out.

Its important people realise that if you put any preference down for a person then they have a possibility of getting in off the back of your vote. If there's someone you don't want in don't give them a preference. Also this article from irishleftreview is pretty disquieting; http://www.irishleftreview.org/2011/02/22/single-transferable-vote-irish-style/

• Advertisement

Its important people realise that if you put any preference down for a person then they have a possibility of getting in off the back of your vote. If there's someone you don't want in don't give them a preference. Also this article from irishleftreview is pretty disquieting; http://www.irishleftreview.org/2011/02/22/single-transferable-vote-irish-style/

Which is why I'm stopping at 11 ;) I shudder at the thought of the other two getting elected.

Advertisement