Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What are the comments she made Lornen?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

UrbanSea wrote: »
    What are the comments she made Lornen?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/02/22/the-trickle-that-became-a-flood-lucinda-fine-gael-and-how-to-lose-friends-on-facebook-and-alienate-gay-people/

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/creighton-doesnrsquot-support-equality-2554176.html

I think it was a bit sad that she made it about "what was best for the children" when loads of studies have shown that children who are brought up by a homosexual couple are just as well off as that of a heterosexual couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Veronica Creighton's stuck in the 60's.

Who?????
    Are you talking about Veronica Cawley?

red sean wrote: »
    Veronica Creighton's stuck in the 60's.

Who?????
    Are you talking about Veronica Cawley?

I ment Lucinda Creighton. I got her first name wrong, my bad. :o
    She's the deputy spokesperson on Justice with special responsibility for Immigration, Integration and Equality.

I never heard what she said. Lawl,what a dope,she must be the joke of the political world.

• Advertisement

I never heard what she said. Lawl,what a dope,she must be the joke of the political world.

I just think that when a party's Deputy Spokesperson for Equality, isn't up for giving every citizen of this country equal rights, what hope do they have?

I know this might not be a deal breaker for alot of people, sure economic issues are what everyone's looking at and there may be "bigger fish to fry" so to speak, but I think alienating 10% of Ireland's population is ridiculous and I want nothing to do with FG after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Lornen wrote: »
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/02/22/the-trickle-that-became-a-flood-lucinda-fine-gael-and-how-to-lose-friends-on-facebook-and-alienate-gay-people/

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/creighton-doesnrsquot-support-equality-2554176.html

I think it was a bit sad that she made it about "what was best for the children" when loads of studies have shown that children who are brought up by a homosexual couple are just as well off as that of a heterosexual couple.

Sorry is Veronica Creighton running in Sligo? I don't know just feeling a little confused;)

Sorry Lornen, I thought you were talking about this constituency and you replied to urbansea while I was posting!
    However, I just read the link you posted, and while she says she personally does'nt go along with gay marriage, she has fully supported equality of rights for gays. I think there's a big difference.
    ps I have no connection whatsoever with FG so would not allow the personal tweets of one candidate effect the outcome of a totally different constituency.

Sorry is Veronica Creighton running in Sligo? I don't know just feeling a little confused;)

I don't know if you read any of my previous comments, but I did mention that I was pretty much clueless about politics and I am finding it hard to follow.
    If you read any of my previous comments, you would have also picked up on the fact that I did infact confuse Lucinda's first name with Veronica but I corrected myself when another member commented on the mistake.

I hope you are less confused now. ;)

Sorry Lornen, I thought you were talking about this constituency and you replied to urbansea while I was posting!
    However, I just read the link you posted, and while she says she personally does'nt go along with gay marriage, she has fully supported equality of rights for gays. I think there's a big difference.
    ps I have no connection whatsoever with FG so would not allow the personal tweets of one candidate effect the outcome of a totally different constituency.

No worries, my bad for cocking up the name and confusing everyone!
    I know she supports civil partnership but a couple who have a civil partnership have only some of the rights a heterosexual married couple have, leaving the weighing scales unfairly balanced in my eyes.

People always complain about young people not voting, I am doing my best to play my part and I just can't ignore what that woman considers equality in Ireland. Marriage these days is no more than a social status. I think the Catholic church has too big a role in our country's running.

My opinions may seem ignorant and raw, but I'm doing the best I can!

Let's not be silly here. In essence you're voting for the party,not the candidate.

• Advertisement

I don't know if you read any of my previous comments, but I did mention that I was pretty much clueless about politics and I am finding it hard to follow.
    If you read any of my previous comments, you would have also picked up on the fact that I did infact confuse Lucinda's first name with Veronica but I corrected myself when another member commented on the mistake.

I hope you are less confused now. ;)

No worries, my bad for cocking up the name and confusing everyone!
    I know she supports civil partnership but a couple who have a civil partnership have only some of the rights a heterosexual married couple have, leaving the weighing scales unfairly balanced in my eyes.

People always complain about young people not voting, I am doing my best to play my part and I just can't ignore what that woman considers equality in Ireland. Marriage these days is no more than a social status. I think the Catholic church has too big a role in our country's running.

You go ahead and vote as you think fit. It's very important that young people like you come out tomorrow and give the politicians a wake-up call. They've always been afraid of the young vote, like having polling on a Thurs. so students could'nt get home to vote.This time you all have an equal chance. We've all made mistakes in who we voted for at some time. I unfortunately voted for Dr. Doonothing and his big arse buddy from Ballymote last time.
    Your opinions are not ignorant or raw, and make sure to keep up your interest after the election is over.

You go ahead and vote as you think fit. It's very important that young people like you come out tomorrow and give the politicians a wake-up call. They've always been afraid of the young vote, like having polling on a Thurs. so students could'nt get home to vote.This time you all have an equal chance. We've all made mistakes in who we voted for at some time. I unfortunately voted for Dr. Doonothing and his big arse buddy from Ballymote last time.
    Your opinions are not ignorant or raw, and make sure to keep up your interest after the election is over.

Thank you very much for your positive reply. I'm going to be 20 soon and I was never wanting to vote prior to this as I have been on the receiving end of quite alot of negative remarks about how young people don't have a clue and being told young people only vote for who ever has the best looking canvassing posters.
    Silly things like that but they do make young voters feel unwelcome. The whole "what do YOU know about running the country?" card has been thrown in my face on numerous occasions and I really want to stand up and do something tomorrow. I'll be down as soon as the polling booths open tomorrow morning to get this done and I am really nervous about it.
    I know it sounds silly, but it means alot to me and I hope my vote is welcomed just as much as any mature citizen of this country's vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Fair play to you for taking an interest and thinking beyond your front doorstep. You're more educated than a lot of people will be tomorrow, at least you're making an effort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

westtip wrote: »
    Perry is great value at 1/12 thats an 8% overnight return, max bet on PP is 10grand. Unless perry keels over (god forbid) its an absolute mortgage job

Very interesting. If you have just signed up to paddypower.com you'll get 50e free bets (if you bet 50e you'll get 50e to bet again basically).

Quackles wrote: »
    Fair play to you for taking an interest and thinking beyond your front doorstep. You're more educated than a lot of people will be tomorrow, at least you're making an effort!

I thought I was going to be completely slaughtered in this thread tonight, thank you for making me more confident in my choice to vote! :)

Free bet must be on a selection of evens or greater and the stake isn't returned.

Definitely Lornen. My first time voting too. The amount of fellas I know who aren't voting because they couldn't be holed.

Free bet must be on a selection of evens or greater and the stake isn't returned.

Very good. But you could put a fiver on perry at 1/12 and put the free bet on someone with better odds.

Definitely Lornen. My first time voting too. The amount of fellas I know who aren't voting because they couldn't be holed.

Ha! I have many a friend like that too UrbanSea. I just think it would be barbaric not to try and get involved considering the crisis our country is in. I don't want to be one of those people who continuously complains about the people running our government, when they are the ones who didn't bother to vote.

They'll match the first bet up to 25 quid. So 25 on Perry at 1/12 will get you back just over 2 quid and leave you with a free 25 bet.Sounds good.

• Advertisement

I thought I was going to be completely slaughtered in this thread tonight, thank you for making me more confident in my choice to vote! :)

Nah, I only slaughter those who don't vote :D

That's not what I meant...

Ha! I have many a friend like that too UrbanSea. I just think it would be barbaric not to try and get involved considering the crisis our country is in. I don't want to be one of those people who continuously complains about the people running our government, when they are the ones who didn't bother to vote.

I asked a friend of mine who the leader of Fianna Fail is recently.

I'm not even going to post what she answered.

Thinking of doing some sort of course with politics in it myself at college.

That's not what I meant...

What did you mean? I'm away with it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Time to put your neck on the line guys :-)
    I'm going to say in this order:

Perry
    McLaughlin
    Colreavy

None of them will be my first preference, i think labour absolutely messed up a golden opportunity to take a handy seat with everything that happened. Too many ind, a protest SF vote & FG on the crest of a wave nationally.
    FFailure are just untouchable with cancer services, economy, cuts etc to so many people i can't see them getting in. Great to get our chance to let them know they're representing and working for us, not the other way around!

PS I've been wrong plenty of times before ;-)

Very interesting. If you have just signed up to paddypower.com you'll get 50e free bets (if you bet 50e you'll get 50e to bet again basically).

:mad: I signed up during the week, and they never gave me free bets. I call shenanigans :)

Wait brianthebard that wasn't sarcastic,just read my post it sounded it. I mean 2 quid plus the 25 back and you'd still have a free bet.

Quackles wrote: »
    :mad: I signed up during the week, and they never gave me free bets. I call shenanigans :)

Did you make a bet?

Did you make a bet?

I did... on Colreavy.

• Advertisement

Of how much? Not being nosey but this is relevant to getting your free bet.

Advertisement