Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Of how much? Not being nosey but this is relevant to getting your free bet.

20e... won't be retiring on it, but wouldn't bet what I can't afford to lose :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Sign in there and go onto live help and ask when you're free 20e matched bet will be coming through. That's what I did and Woila,they put it on straight away.
    Any problems let me know,threats of bet365 usually get them functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Sign in there and go onto live help and ask when you're free 20e matched bet will be coming through. That's what I did and Woila,they put it on straight away.
    Any problems let me know,threats of bet365 usually get them functioning.

Thank you, that worked a treat! Now to decide where to place it :D

Haha,no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Urbansea and Lornen, try to persuade some more of your friends to vote tomorrow as well. It is important. When I was voting for the first time in the late 70's I was asked "what would you know about politics" as well. Not very encouraging I have to say! But the youth can and will make a difference this time. The inheritated views are at an end. In 4 or 5 years time, or less, you may regret who you voted for. But what the hell. You made an effort for your country.
    My own 2 kids (in their early20's) wont be voting tomorrow because they've already emigrated. Hopefully ye wont have to.
    So, I say go and enjoy having the right to have your say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 czarak

Lornen wrote: »
    This will be my first time voting and I have little interest in politics, so I'm trying to cram in every party's manifesto. :(

I do know I won't be voting FG though. Veronica Creighton's stuck in the 60's. Any party who doesn't believe every citizen in Ireland should have equal rights won't get my vote.

Fair play to you Lornen for getting out and taking an interest. I would agree wholeheartedly with you regarding FG's stance on issues of equality. FG are far and away the most socially conservative of all the main parties, closely followed by FF.

If you want to factor equality into your vote both Labour and The Greens have very strong track records on the subject and very forward looking policies for equality if they get into power.

One of the most shameful issues of inequality we have in Ireland is the lack of women in politics.

Ireland is ranked 85th internationally for female representation in parliament (13.9%) behind such countries as Zimbabwe, Kazakhstan, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Sudan & Cambodia. Sligo, the home of Constance Markiewicz (first woman elected to Dail Eireann) is lucky to have an excellent candidate for the next Dail - Susan O'Keeffe who will hopefully be a strong voice for Sligo within a party, Labour, which is part of the next Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Wait brianthebard that wasn't sarcastic,just read my post it sounded it. I mean 2 quid plus the 25 back and you'd still have a free bet.

Yeah no sorry I read your post wrong too, I thought you mean that you'd only get 2 quid on the perry bet and not get anything back, I thought you meant use the free bet on that. D'oh.

red sean wrote: »
    However, I just read the link you posted, and while she says she personally does'nt go along with gay marriage, she has fully supported equality of rights for gays. I think there's a big difference.

Eh, what? You've managed to contradict yourself in a single sentence. FG's policy on the matter is clear, they are not for equality for gay people in marriage.

In fact there was a bit of a media storm in a teacup in the past few days as FG started deleting and censoring perfectly reasonable and non-offensive questions on this topic from their Facebook page.

You will also find that not too many years ago Enda Kenny, the leader of FG, was caught using the word '******' at a public meeting:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/sep/15/world.race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Quackles wrote: »
    I did... on Colreavy.

Interesting odds....very tempted, but I don't want to lose too much money either. have fiver on FG to get 67 or less seats at 12/1 and the free bet (or the other way around?) on 68-71 at 6/1. Think one of those is the likely outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

I don't know if you read any of my previous comments, but I did mention that I was pretty much clueless about politics and I am finding it hard to follow.
    If you read any of my previous comments, you would have also picked up on the fact that I did infact confuse Lucinda's first name with Veronica but I corrected myself when another member commented on the mistake.

I hope you are less confused now. ;)

Wow, this is really confusing. She said, you said, you thought she said, you don't know her name. Best of luck when voting -- this is why the slips have coloured pics -- ps Veronica looks a little like Miss Piggy but brunette, whereas Miss Creaton, looks a little like Miss Piggy but peroxide blonde. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Click confirm, click confirm!! LOL!! thanks US...
    They would. Just clicked Max Bet on my PP account and it is ten grand.

I wouldn't mind having ten grand to do it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Thank you everyone for the support.

I'm only a 15 minute run from the Project, so I took a nice jog down and voted! My votes should probably remain confidential to an extent, but I obviously voted for Labour and Independant's that had similar policies as Labour. I was told by several people that I should only vote for my top 3, but I gave a vote to each candidate. I think it was just as important for me to inform the government who I did not want in charge and who I did.
    FG and FF got my 10, 11, 12 and 13 :)

Good luck to everyone voting!

Alot of my friends aren't even bloody well registered, what a shame. But the friends closest to me are and they will be indeed voting!

I went through all of the candidates speeches last night on a website and I thought Marc MacSharry would have definitely got a high vote, he sounded more like an Independant than a member of the FF.

Ugh,Labour.

Thank you everyone for the support.

I obviously voted for Labour and Independant's that had similar policies as Labour. I was told by several people that I should only vote for my top 3, but I gave a vote to each candidate. I think it was just as important for me to inform the government who I did not want in charge and who I did.
    FG and FF got my 10, 11, 12 and 13 :)

Well done on your voting choices!

Whatever about choice of candidates which some others might not agree with, you absolutely did the right thing on voting 1 - 13. There's been a lot of debate on here in recent days about whether or not you should vote all the way down even if you really hate or are disgusted with the candidates near the bottom, I and others have argued that you absolutely should.

You cut through a lot of the more nuanced arguments about this topic very well there with what you said about letting it be known who you don't want in charge as much as who you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

John Perry - much better than expected - statesman like actually

This gave me a good laugh. Statesman like :D.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    This gave me a good laugh. Statesman like :D.

I gave him number one and also had lumpy bet on him with Paddy Power - 8% interest rate over 24 hours brilliant. I couldn't give a Tuppeny who else gets in ---- oh err as long as FF win nothing in this seat - but of course that goes without saying - I just wonder how many of the FFers will actually turn up and stick the lifelong cause.

czarak wrote: »
    Eh, what? You've managed to contradict yourself in a single sentence. FG's policy on the matter is clear, they are not for equality for gay people in marriage.

In fact there was a bit of a media storm in a teacup in the past few days as FG started deleting and censoring perfectly reasonable and non-offensive questions on this topic from their Facebook page.

You will also find that not too many years ago Enda Kenny, the leader of FG, was caught using the word '******' at a public meeting:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/sep/15/world.race

WTF shouldn't gays have all the misery of marriage that hetros have to put up with

westtip wrote: »
    WTF shouldn't gays have all the misery of marriage that hetros have to put up with

Yes, they should, that was the whole point of my post which you quoted...

westtip wrote: »
    I gave him number one and also had lumpy bet on him with Paddy Power - 8% interest rate over 24 hours brilliant. I couldn't give a Tuppeny who else gets in ---- oh err as long as FF win nothing in this seat - but of course that goes without saying - I just wonder how many of the FFers will actually turn up and stick the lifelong cause.

What's a lumpy bet numerically?

• Advertisement

Just watched a video there with Declan Bree in it.
    Must say he's getting my vote.

He was in my top 3, seems like a really nice, genuine guy with the public's interest and well being at heart. The only candidate I've actually seen in town also mind you. He also stops and chats with whoever says hello and goodluck which is really nice to see! I've yet to see any of the others in town yet I've seen Bree 4 times.. I also work about 20 feet from Marc MacSharry's office (or which ever building has his face plastered in every window) and I've not seen him ONCE in person..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Was Declan not the main man for re-opening O'Connell Street or have I got him mixed up with someone else? I think it was a terrible decision and has made traffic worse if anything. I used to like him but he seems to act before he thinks lately.

Still not fully sure how to vote yet but am edging towards Susan O'Keefe because I don't want to see a Fine Gael only government and because she appears to be a very strong candidate, well spoken, good ideals etc. After that is's a bit skewed but I'm getting there!

What's a lumpy bet numerically?

Aha that is between me and my bookmaker it will hurt if he doesn't get elected tho. Sounds like there is going to be a big turnout. wonder what the impact on that will be - I reckon its a sign that people are so angry they really want to vote and give FF a kick up the proverbial or it could mean the FF'ers are coming out to save the party.

Any thoughts folks.

BTW I think the boards.ie poll is going to be well wrong as the demographic split of boards does not reflect general population.

I honestly can't see why anyone would want to vote Labour.
    The trade unions' bitch that party is.

Hey Lornen if you live there I could see you most days so :P
    I've seen Tony McLaughlin around town a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

BTW I think the boards.ie poll is going to be well wrong as the demographic split of boards does not reflect general population.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree...and with the greatest respect, a large number of older "traditional" voters wouldnt know one end of a computer from another...its a bit like running an electoral poll on MTV...

Hey Lornen if you live there I could see you most days so :P
    I've seen Tony McLaughlin around town a lot.

Ha! I always wonder who's on Boards that I see could be potentially bumping into everyday :pac:

Didn't seem like many people had voted around 6ish.. I guess people coming out of work will send the numbers up..

Alot of young people not voting which is sad. A mate came into work for a chat earlier and I asked her if she was going to vote and with her polling station about 100 metres away from where we were, she said she wasn't bothered as the country is already f*cked.

Words failed me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Ha! I always wonder who's on Boards that I see could be potentially bumping into everyday :pac:

Didn't seem like many people had voted around 6ish.. I guess people coming out of work will send the numbers up..

Alot of young people not voting which is sad. A mate came into work for a chat earlier and I asked her if she was going to vote and with her polling station about 100 metres away from where we were, she said she wasn't bothered as the country is already f*cked.

Words failed me :eek:
    its a joke.people died to give them the right to vote the least they could do if they didnt know who they wanted to vote for would be to spoil the vote at least that way they "voted" as such

• Advertisement

its a joke.people died to give them the right to vote the least they could do if they didnt know who they wanted to vote for would be to spoil the vote at least that way they "voted" as such

It is a joke, completely. I was only saying it to my boss earlier, how everyone will moan and complain about the government. But half of the people b*tching are people who couldn't be bothered voting. Nothing annoys me more than people complaining about all of the trouble we are having, when given the opportunity to try and help remedy the situation, sit on their hole and do nothing.

There was absolutely no telling my friend. I was a little shocked and disappointed but who am I to tell anyone what to do? :/

Advertisement