Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I don't think the Political Parties have taken on board what is needed at all and will present poor candidates.

With the exception of Pearse Doherty in Donegal SW, no Party has in recent years opted for a candidate of any true calibre in years.

I do think theres little between the FF and FG parties to be honest and don't rate any of their candidates in Sligo/Leitrim on past performance, yet I'll bet Perry and Devins are on the polling sheet.

While I do rate many in the FG front bench, they will still stand by Perry and Enda kenny, neither of which are great advertisments for the party as a whole.

Labour also are not strong in the NW but given that they see Frank McBrearty as credible in Donegal, I doubt they rate the North West either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Actually I'll revise that - No Fianna Fail, No Green party and No Fine Gael. The rest I'll give a fair hearing to. Why no Fine Gael? Because they'll tow the Fianna Fail line once they're in power. I can't help feel they're delighted the IMF/ECB deal is sorted out. All we'll probably hear is "Well the deal was brokered when we were opposition, however we can't go back........blah, blah, blah."

That's my point though. Based on what? They've barely being in power since the mid eighties. With a few exceptions, the 95-97 government was very good (imo, of course). The policies of two center parties will always be similar. It's the gulf in character, morals and diligence that seems to mark them apart. FG are not the saviours or anything, but they are not stained with the corruption and failure that FF are. Whilst I am under no illusions that FG will magically fix the country and renew everyone's faith in our political system, they appear to me to be more capable and straight than the outgoing (hopefully) shower.
    As for giving the rest a fair hearing, I feel Labour have been very dissapointing since Gilmore took over. He's no doubt a capable speaker, but I feel the party's rise in the polls is down more to dissatisfaction with the FF/Green mess, some populist catch cries and keeping very quiet on policy. Labour don't seem to have the stomach for cuts in the public service and that is a vital aspect of national recovery. Having said that, I have more faith in the caliber of most of their spokespeople than the incumbants. The likes of Rabbitt, Howlin and Quinn are consistantly impressive.
    Outside of the main three, I don't see a party with anything like a realistic set of implementable policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

il gatto wrote: »
    That's my point though. Based on what? They've barely being in power since the mid eighties. With a few exceptions, the 95-97 government was very good (imo, of course). The policies of two center parties will always be similar. It's the gulf in character, morals and diligence that seems to mark them apart. FG are not the saviours or anything, but they are not stained with the corruption and failure that FF are. Whilst I am under no illusions that FG will magically fix the country and renew everyone's faith in our political system, they appear to me to be more capable and straight than the outgoing (hopefully) shower.
    As for giving the rest a fair hearing, I feel Labour have been very dissapointing since Gilmore took over. He's no doubt a capable speaker, but I feel the party's rise in the polls is down more to dissatisfaction with the FF/Green mess, some populist catch cries and keeping very quiet on policy. Labour don't seem to have the stomach for cuts in the public service and that is a vital aspect of national recovery. Having said that, I have more faith in the caliber of most of their spokespeople than the incumbants. The likes of Rabbitt, Howlin and Quinn are consistantly impressive.
    Outside of the main three, I don't see a party with anything like a realistic set of implementable policies.

I think FF needs to be hammered to at least send a message to polticians that demonstartes what happens when you F UP.

And they are unique re: scandals, although they are closest to FG policy wise.

We have a very old style of politics in Ireland.

TDs have 19th century work patterns. 3 long days in Dail Eireann and the remainder of the week at home at the parish pump. They arent national politicians. If you look at TDs in the Dail they are usually married men, conservative, with teh wife at home minding ther kids where she should be.
    Most are farmers, publicans, teachers or solicitors. They simply dont represent us.

Unfortunately this motley crew of barmen etc are the ones with the power to make the changes so we shouldnt be surprised that nothing has or will change.

The problem is only partly who we vote for. The problem is mainly the candidate sheet thatw e must choose from.

Ive been slated for this but I am voting for a party that will enforce gender quotas for candidates. Im a male myself but i honestly dont see any other way to change the type of politicians we have.

We need new men and new women to represent us not the same old tired cronies from teh same old cronie professions.

That knocks FF out of the reckoning staright away ofcourse.

That said Id encourage any females out there to start getting interested in politics. We badly need you!!!!

The parish pump gobsheens day should be long over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

il gatto wrote: »

I agree that I might have been a bit harsh with my judgement of Fine Gael. I am aware they haven't had a significant period of power since the eighties. However I can't separate them from Fianna Fail policy wise and therefore I am very wary of them. When all is said and done, if Fianna Fail are obliterated and the Greens rendered extinct, well I'd be happy enough with that outcome.
    Yet it is really hard to believe that after all the turmoil this country has been through, a new political party or force hasn't emerged as an alternative option.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Is a list of candidates for the election known yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Is a list of candidates for the election known yet?

Don't think there is anything officail yet and probably won't be until an election is actually called.

D. Bree will probably run as a United Left Alliance candidate and I also hear that despite most Sligo people thinking that he has let them down very badly (possibly understatement of the year), Jimmy Devins is also going to run again.

M. Colreavy will be running for SF and Tony McLoughlin for FG.

I think Michael Clarke has also indicated that he will run.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

perry running for fine gael and okeeffe for labour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Pete M. wrote: »
    Don't think there is anything officail yet and probably won't be until an election is actually called.

D. Bree will probably run as a United Left Alliance candidate and I also hear that despite most Sligo people thinking that he has let them down very badly (possibly understatement of the year), Jimmy Devins is also going to run again.

M. Colreavy will be running for SF and Tony McLoughlin for FG.

I think Michael Clarke has also indicated that he will run.

So much for the new politics! a guy who was convicted of fraud wants to run for the Dáil and will, no doubt, get a lot of local support. You could see it as irony - let's put a real crook in there - but they do not do irony in West Sligo. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Essexboy wrote: »
    - but they do not do irony in West Sligo. :mad:

And I bet they all hate the Rubber Bandits too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Thanks guys, will do a bit of home work now, I don't have much faith in the goons we have at the mo, we bady need a change.

• Advertisement

Pete M. wrote: »
    And I bet they all hate the Rubber Bandits too :D

“I swear on my tache, it’s decent hash”. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

added an anonymous poll!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

T runner wrote: »
    Ive been slated for this but I am voting for a party that will enforce gender quotas for candidates. Im a male myself but i honestly dont see any other way to change the type of politicians we have.

Surely that isn't you're only criteria for choosing a party to vote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dr.shephard

A geder quota is a bad idea. candidates will be selected by their gender rather than ability.
    You could end up with totally incapable representatives.
    Personally I would like to see more women get involved in politics, however nobody should be selected as a candidate just to keep a gender balance.
    I am a member of a political party and we have 5 women in the cumann, one is treasurer but none of the others were willing to take a job at all.
    At election time they aren't prepared to canvass for more than a 2-3 hours a week whereas most of the men would be canvassing for at least a couple of hours every day.
    One of the girls is someone who I think could have a future in local politics and a few of us have tried to persuade her to become more involved with the party but to no avail.
    I just don't think there are as many women as men interested in becoming involved in politics, therefore a gender balance is unrealistic.

The good Doctor is due to announce his intention not to contest the election.

good riddance

The good Doctor is due to announce his intention not to contest the election.

good riddance

He has cut back on constituency work already.

MacSharry for FF and Clarke as independent would be an interesting development as they are cousins. Would not vote for either of them!

What constituency work?
    I doubt if McSharry wanted to run this time round but he now has little choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Bit disappointed to hear this. Was really looking to seeing getting hockeyed.

Tears came to my eyes when I heard Devins isn't running. Tears of joy! Boom tish! This is running like a Peter Kay gag-line, much like Irish politics, but in their case its gag-reflex.

Shoo in now for Perry and O'Keefe -- my prediction.

Envitable that the Noble Doctor 'Save our Hospital' Junior Minister for Ill-Health Devins was going to get an almight hammering.

Watching a battle selection between the, in my opinion, quite possibly the two slimiest mo-fos in Sligo Mark 'look at my hair line eight years ago in a Chamber of Commerce poster - because you can trust me really I'm not a balding Senator McSharry and that other deluded wannabe, Jude 'my time must come but my election poster also makes he look like an aborted alien's foetus left out in the sun to decompose' Devins -- would be wonderous.

Have to admit, as to the possibilty of change that virtually every politician under the Sun is pure self-serving scum, really apathetic about this election, if ever our country was sold into ecomonic bondage, this lot Fianna Fail/Greens have managed to do so.

Forget about, Dail Erin Germany-owned Bond Holders decide the fiscal future of this sad little Isle.

In short the next bunch will be every bit as bad. Enjoy the three-ring circus that is called democracy - imagine the ticket is free, ie a vote, it won't cost you anything, just you and your children's future.

Rumours are that FF are considering running Senator Plastic Mooney from Drumshanbo in an effort to do damage to michael Colreavy, and ensure Eamonn Scanlon holds his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Watching a battle selection between the, in my opinion, quite possibly the two slimiest mo-fos in Sligo Mark 'look at my hair line eight years ago in a Chamber of Commerce poster - because you can trust me really I'm not a balding Senator McSharry and that other deluded wannabe, Jude 'my time must come but my election poster also makes he look like an aborted alien's foetus left out in the sun to decompose' Devins -- would be wonderous.

Seriously, with all the problems that this country has experienced in the past few years at the hands of the government and the best you can come up with is personal abuse focusing on two potential candidates' appearance. Grow up.

• Advertisement

Wester wrote: »
    Seriously, with all the problems that this country has experienced in the past few years at the hands of the government and the best you can come up with is personal abuse focusing on two potential candidates' appearance. Grow up.

Ha ha, Fianna Fail voter I guess. I wouldn't be suprised if you are a FF hack or hanger-on desperately attempting to create a little bit of high moral ground on his one.

The reason I indulged in a little sardonic humour, is to address the reality of perception regarding the 'bright new faces' of FF.

This faux unctious pair are no doubt the best that Fianna Fail can put foward and but they are not worth any serious commentary hence I will poke fun at them. They put themselves into the limelight, they want the plaudits they will have to take brick bats.

I look forward to their marvellous new agendas to save Ireland, against the impotence and greed of construction Official Ireland (oh, that's right, dear Marc is an auctioneer and a would-be developer of a scheme which effectively would destroy the beauty and habitat around Hazlewood House merely to aggrandise the relevant company - fortunately An Bord Pleanala knocked it on the head.

As for Jude -- to be honest, I won't even go there -- as far back as 1996, when his political career was starting as a fledgling politico he backed the Mid-Block Route, another destruction of domestic and architectural integrity of Sligo Town.

Talking of more habitat and amenity destruction, FF are in support through Michael Finneran (who has like Devins has conveniently retired from politics) support the Bridge at Cleveragh leading on to Ardowen on the Hazelwood Road along with all those fortunate landowners on the North side of the Garavogue.

Dont get me wrong -- I treat them all with complete contempt, the only reason the two boys are mentioned is that FF Guru Jimmy Devins has surrendered and now they have to step up to the booby trap, oh, I meant plate.

Whoever, you are, I could give you chapter and verse on Fianna Fail, listen

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I thing John Perry will have to be ready to answer questions on his expenses on the door steps...It not good when you get mentioned twice in book(Ken Foxes: snouts in the trough)about the whole John O Donoghue scandal...people in this country need to start copping on to the relationship between the deductions on their payslip and where its been spent!!that goes for all TD's not just Mr. Perry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Jimmy Devins was another useless glory hunter who brought nothing to Sligo or Leitrim and then we have Sligo FF thinking of choosing one of two known lap dog glory hunters?

Does anyone rate Michael Clarke as an independent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Have to admit, as to the possibilty of change that virtually every politician under the Sun is pure self-serving scum, really apathetic about this election, if ever our country was sold into ecomonic bondage, this lot Fianna Fail/Greens have managed to do so.

Think youre being a little naive. The damage was done pre 2008. Most of the money was borrowed then and the disaster was imminenet once house prices fell and the pack of cards that were our banks "assets" came tumbling down.

Defaulting Anglo may or may not have been a better option. Look what happenned with lehmans though. At the end of the day Irish taxpayers and not Germans must pay and that is fair.

Successive governments misunderstood the implications of the euro. And when inflation made us unable to compete, we kept
    the party going through the bubble.

Haughey single handedly castrated any effective central regulation here.

Forget about, Dail Erin Germany-owned Bond Holders decide the fiscal future of this sad little Isle.

No they dont. Ireland is not a bad spot actually. Just need good people to assert themselves, nay sayers to take a back seat.

In short the next bunch will be every bit as bad. Enjoy the three-ring circus that is called democracy - imagine the ticket is free, ie a vote, it won't cost you anything, just you and your children's future.

Bull. If you want to change the system, vote for a party who will introduce mandatory quotas. For parties to make quotas, parish pumps have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What constituency work?
    I doubt if McSharry wanted to run this time round but he now has little choice.

Will these political dynasties ever end? It's something this country needs to put behind it, there's nothing worst than inherited cronyism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

there's nothing worst than inherited cronyism.

except adopted cronyism ala jude devins...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

So Shelly when are you running and what are your policies? Or will you just stay on the sidelines slinging mud? If you really feel strongly about some politician that could do good why are you not promoting them and volunteering to do some canvassing work for them or is it all hopeless and we should look for a benevolent dictator to rule us or go back to the queen?

SligoPark Clarke was done for fraud was he not so I cant understand how he is even allowed run but will probably fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ned Green

According to local media reports Cllr Veronica Cawley is seriously considering running in the GE.If she contests this will have serious implications obviously for SusanO'Keefe chances of winning a seat.

T runner wrote: »
    Think youre being a little naive.

No my friend, I feel you're the one whose a tad deluded.

If you keep looking for solutions from the caste that helped create and oversee the problems this country is in then you are perfect gullible would be voter.

Ipso facto, politicians are self-serving filth. De-mockery-isation of Ireland has in full flight.

Vote? I'd prefer to burn my ballot -- bring back the 'All Night Party'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Ned Green

Just heard a spokesperson for the Save Our Cancer Services on Ocean FM say she was confident that the written guarantees given to them by FG,Labour,and SF,will see the service restored to Sligo General once theirs a change of government after the election.I wouldn't hold my breath,whatever about SF,I would not believe a word a Blueshirt or a New Labour politican gives.Just ask the DoorlyPark/MartinSavage community about their written pledges.

Advertisement