Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

red sean wrote: »
    According to a caller to Ocean fm on Fri. morning last, and I'm open to correction on this as I was driving at the time and did'nt hear it all, 50% resigned as a result of Susan O'Keefe being nominated. Apparently, new members were allowed to vote at the nomination conference without having been members for the min. statutory time. As a result, Veronica Cawley did'nt get the ticket.
    As I say, open to correction, but I'm sure somebody in the know will post the facts.

Yeah, I know that following O'Keefes selection that Cawley supporters were obviously not happy. But did they resign then after the selection was ratified by HQ

OR did they pull out the day before voting?
    Or was there another 50% of the Labour Party membership pulling the plug -- I am presuming they can only have been Jimmy McGarrys or Veronica Cawley supporters, just wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Yeah, I know that following O'Keefes selection that Cawley supporters were obviously not happy. But did they resign then after the selection was ratified by HQ

OR did they pull out the day before voting?
    Or was there another 50% of the Labour Party membership pulling the plug -- I am presuming they can only have been Jimmy McGarrys or Veronica Cawley supporters, just wondering?

No idea. Just relayed on here the snippet I heard on the radio. I think some left it til the day before voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Was the nominations not deadlocked between cawley and o'keefe when they decided to pull them out of a hat, cawley came out first but o'keefe won as it was she was left in the hat. I remember reading something along the lines of that when it happened.

You have love,bree and cawley that are ex labour,

orders came from dublin when things were deadlocked to put o'keefe on,she was allways the perfered person with the labour big wigs,hence why she was droped into sligo a few years ago to create a profile for these general elections,i guess it didnt work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

I take it from that post you are in full-time employment and over the age of 25

No on both counts, and I don't pick up cash from the post office every friday, the self employed don't get dole,

westtip wrote: »

No on both counts, and I don't pick up cash from the post office every friday, the self employed don't get dole,

Yeah, sure it is annoying if you are self-employed in hard times and can't get a bean from the State.

Re your six-month manifesto etc -- an attempt to nip the social welfare rot in the bud, I'd imagine -- the real problem is the seriously long-term unemployed.

Even when the Celtic Tiger there were 100,000s (for varying reasons admittedly, some justified others just happy with their lot) of long-term. You would have to pay someone to drive around to their house, get them out of bed, cook them a fry, bring them to work (having first secured employment for them because they won't spend the time or money on a CV!) and drop them off, and they'd still whinge about pay, conditions and job-satisfaction.

While FF was protrayed as Builders Party -- which was true -- they also curried favour with the long term unemployed and Social Welfare class by ramping up payments on the back of building madness with a view to getting electorate on side, which worked for guts of 15 years.

So the Irish people, can whinge and moan, but when the vast majority were either getting high on property and Celtic Tiger lifestyle, and parasites happily co-existed off the latter junkie's wilful suicide, the political parties just got along with their merry band of half-wits, telling us everything was okay, and, guest what, FF and idiot Greens (amongst most upper-middle class smug, deluded power-hungry of them all) presided over this nonsense and when Brian 'Sick Man of Europe' Lenihan invited half-wits of FG and Labour into the Dept of Finance to look over the books, they pretty much signed off on everything.

If it wasn't for Monaghan SF TD calling Slobber Chops out his 'golfing' lesson from Seanie Fitz then the whole circus would have continued.

There was not demo on the streets, Irish people in general are political sheep.

Westtip -- admittedly the Social Welfare problems of this country, which produced a complacent and smug Dole Culture yet grasping self-entitlement mantra is a problem -- the overwhelming problem is the State Securitising the rogue banks, the bull**** that is Nama and the zombie property market.

Its too easy to kick the new Social Welfare class in a time of dire economic consequences, and rather myopic, in my opinion.

It was €21 Billion in 2010 -- total spend. Compare that with Bank Bail out.

While its sick to see long term dole-ites in new cars, annual holidays along with the rest -- only upside is that the vast majority of this spend is in Ireland, whereas the Latter is assist European and Global Financial Gold Circle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

I see Tony Mc Laughlin FG TD is at it already. Dodging the radio this morning. Probably afraid he is going to be quizzed about the cancer services ,that his party has promised is going to be returned to Sligo General Hospital. Tony is well know for his about -turns ,think : eastern bridge....... Watch what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thread tidied-ish.

Apologies, but had to delete number of posts. Nothing wrong with post content, and no guidelines broken, but an original post had been edited by poster who made it.

Original post then quoted number of times before edit was made leaving thread difficult to follow with some posters being misquoted for it.

Thanks to forum members for bringing to our attention.

;)

Yeah, sure it is annoying if you are self-employed in hard times and can't get a bean from the State.

Re your six-month manifesto etc -- an attempt to nip the social welfare rot in the bud, I'd imagine -- the real problem is the seriously long-term unemployed.

While its sick to see long term dole-ites in new cars, annual holidays along with the rest -- only upside is that the vast majority of this spend is in Ireland, whereas the Latter is assist European and Global Financial Gold Circle.

I deleted my rant and rave post cos having read it it was probably too extreme and may have cause offence to a few, the social welfare bill is as many have said is simply not affordable - What right have we got to have such high dole levels such high pensions such high family allowances compared to across the border. We cannot afford it - and we need to realise it. the same goes for the ridiculous levels of pay in the public sector we need to deflate our public spend to a level we can afford to build the national debt to pay wages and dole. It is unsustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shellmiester

At the original selection convention it was a dead heat. Names were put in a hat and veronicas was drawn, Susan conceded only to be told that under the rules it was the person left in the hat that was selected. This lead to much confusion and both went to labour hq for a resolution.
    At labour hq both made a presentation and Susan was selected 13 votes to 5. Veronica was still unhappy at the decision. In the first week in feb 2011 the labour party conducted a phone survey of 600people in Sligo north Leitrim with the understanding that if there was sufficient labour support both candidates could run Susans support stood at 12% veronicas at 6%
    http://www.politicalworld.org/archive/index.php/t-6670.html
    Veronica said she accepted this. Then, within 1 week, announced she would be running as independent labour.
    With regard to the alleged mass exodus, Tommy Higgins the oldest member of the labour party in Sligo nominated Veronica at the original selection convention, He was the person to then officially nominate Susan in the court house. So even the very man that nominated Veronica in the first place was willing to throw his support behind Susan.
    On Thursday the 24th of feb one and a half hours before the media moratorium veronicas supporters announced on ocean fm that up to 50 people had left the labour party. This was untrue as far as I'm aware the number stands at most at 15 but all of that is really inconsequential now.
    The damage was done to both candidates to have their last media broadcast with such negative overtones.
    In the end whatever way you look at it Sligo has lost out on having a labour representative and a female representative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

proon4 wrote: »
    I see Tony Mc Laughlin FG TD is at it already. Dodging the radio this morning. Probably afraid he is going to be quizzed about the cancer services ,that his party has promised is going to be returned to Sligo General Hospital. Tony is well know for his about -turns ,think : eastern bridge....... Watch what happens.

Going off on atangent, how old is Tony?

Today's "Irish Times" gives pen portraits for all 3TDs but while it gives ages for Perry (54) and Colreavy (62) it gives none for McLoughlin. What is he hiding?
    One of his relatives swore he is 60 but he looks 70 or thereabouts to me. :confused:

• Advertisement

Essexboy wrote: »

Today's "Irish Times" gives pen portraits for all 3TDs but while it gives ages for Perry (54) and Colreavy (62) it gives none for McLoughlin. What is he hiding?
    One of his relatives swore he is 60 but he looks 70 or thereabouts to me. :confused:

As far as I am aware the retirement age for TDs is 65 -- maybe with his hefty TD salary he can go to 'rejuvenation clinic'? rhinoplasty, eyebrow tinting etc, comes out longer younger than when he went in -- Peter Pan of Leine Gorm Party!?

In the end whatever way you look at it Sligo has lost out on having a labour representative and a female representative.

Cheer for the explanation and clearing it -- just as an aside, don't think do any female posters find it perjorative such references as 'female representative'. Mean Labour played the Oestrogen Card and it blew up in their face with demented and hysterical performance of Moan Burton on TV3 flying accusations of sexism at Joe Higgins (vote damaging exercise imo)...

I appreciate the argument re lack of female TDs -- but correct me but aren't women half of the electorate?

Put shoe on other foot and imagine saying lost out on a labour rep and a male rep -- there would be outrage.

Just as a matter of interest in Ms O'Keefe really a resident of Collooney or is she a quasi-Parachute candidate. A good test would be where her kids attend -- ie Sligo or somewhere near The Pale.

Sligo North Leitrim FF PRO lunches attack on party

The PRO of the Fianna Fail party in Sligo North Leitrim has launched a scathing attack on senior members of the party for refusing to contest the general election.
    Seamus Kilgannon says it annoyed grass roots members of the party that when things got tough they walked way.
    He also highlighted that senior members did not consult with local members about the removal of Cancer services at Sligo General Hospital.
    Speaking on North West today Mr Killgannon says despite his frustration with the party, he has no plans to resign.

Check out the Ocean FM news with FF lunch attack -- with Dear Old Eamo at the Head of the Table, it reminds me of the old quip by Denis Healy re being savaged by a Dead Sheep.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

As far as I am aware the retirement age for TDs is 65 -- maybe with his hefty TD salary he can go to 'rejuvenation clinic'? rhinoplasty, eyebrow tinting etc, comes out longer younger than when he went in -- Peter Pan of Leine Gorm Party!?

Not true, Jackie Healy Rae was born in 1931 and only bowed out this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Essexboy wrote: »

He's not 70 anyway.. 63/64?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

Quackles wrote: »
    He's not 70 anyway.. 63/64?
    About 64... he made his first holy communion in 1954.. Reason I know this is because i seen him in the post office a few weeks ago and he was checking his first holy communion money that is banked there.He let his book fall and I lifted it for him and saw the dates... Minds his money does Tony. Always was one of the top expenses claimer on Sligo county council and borough council.. He should be busy filling out his Dail expenses for the next few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Pisin meself laffin...nice post dude

proon4 wrote: »
    About 64... he made his first holy communion in 1954.. Reason I know this is because i seen him in the post office a few weeks ago and he was checking his first holy communion money that is banked there.He let his book fall and I lifted it for him and saw the dates... Minds his money does Tony. Always was one of the top expenses claimer on Sligo county council and borough council.. He should be busy filling out his Dail expenses for the next few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shellmiester

Ya fair enough re female rep comment! I just lament the lack of female representation in the dail.

O Keeffes three girls are in colooney ns, Ursuline and grammar before I get any comments re private schooling when o Keeffe decided to move from Manchester to Sligo she decided it better to send eldest to same school for five years so as not to disrupt education.

The debate on where she lives reminds me a bit too much of the birthers claims in the states!!

As a matter of interest how long does one have to be living in Sligo til no longer regarded as a blow in my mums been here35yrs and is still called a blow in. Will she be until the day she dies?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Sligo North Leitrim FF PRO lunches attack on party

The PRO of the Fianna Fail party in Sligo North Leitrim has launched a scathing attack on senior members of the party for refusing to contest the general election.
    Seamus Kilgannon says it annoyed grass roots members of the party that when things got tough they walked way.
    He also highlighted that senior members did not consult with local members about the removal of Cancer services at Sligo General Hospital.
    Speaking on North West today Mr Killgannon says despite his frustration with the party, he has no plans to resign.

Check out the Ocean FM news with FF lunch attack -- with Dear Old Eamo at the Head of the Table, it reminds me of the old quip by Denis Healy re being savaged by a Dead Sheep.:D

isnt he a great man this is another FF muppet why wasnt he saying these things months ago,its easy to say these things when the horse has bolted.
    any way didnt Kilgannon get the message at the last local elections he lost his seat id say he just a bitter little man,and this sort of person has no place in politics no matter what party they are.
    heres hoping the new people in will work hard for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

settle down my overactive friend!

Colreavy is born and bred in Savilooloo Terrace.

Settle down? What are you on about? Why would I need to settle down? Your comment was open to interpretation and this was obviously unintentional on your part.

• Advertisement

And are isn't Gerrynomics a real good idea. All well and good in opposition- thank god they will neve actually get their hands on the chequebook

Ya I suppose 'Gerrynomics' would do a lot more damage to our economy than the 'Galway tent' did over the last 14 years.
    thank god they will neve actually get their hands on the chequebook

At least they wouldn't let the IMF/ECB dictate the agenda, like the rest of the sheep will. I love this ignorant fear of the unknown some people have, I tend to judge a party by it's record in office.

Ya I suppose 'Gerrynomics' would do a lot more damage to our economy than the 'Galway tent' did over the last 14 years.

At least they wouldn't let the IMF/ECB dictate the agenda, like the rest of the sheep will. I love this ignorant fear of the unknown some people have, I tend to judge a party by it's record in office.

There are two ways of letting the IMF in or having need of them to bail you out.

One is reckless mismanagement of the economy the countrys resources, the financial institutions allowing greed and vested interests (ie Developers) to leach the economy. (the old south american ruination)

The second is reckless mismanagement of public sector spending. (what SF would bring
    and to a certain degree what happened in the UK in the 1970s)

FF were guilty of both which is why they got hammered by left wing and right wing parties.

Disregarding the bank bailout and calamity that has bought on the country, SF just don't get it - you simply cannot keep on borrowing to pay social welfare and public sector pay. Eventually the lenders say no more, that includes the markets and the likes of the IMF. This government is going to be deeply unpopular undoing the structural mess our public finances got into under FF, I don't think SF would tackle this deep rooted problem we have. I don't like what they have to do but recognise it has to be done.

You can BTW judge SF by its record of office in NI, where they have had to wake up to reality.

Ya fair enough re female rep comment! I just lament the lack of female representation in the dail.

O Keeffes three girls are in colooney ns, Ursuline and grammar before I get any comments re private schooling when o Keeffe decided to move from Manchester to Sligo she decided it better to send eldest to same school for five years so as not to disrupt education.

The debate on where she lives reminds me a bit too much of the birthers claims in the states!!

As a matter of interest how long does one have to be living in Sligo til no longer regarded as a blow in my mums been here35yrs and is still called a blow in. Will she be until the day she dies?

Re a Blow In - Simple Answer is Yes -- Curiously it generally only applies to Irish, refugees etc have in the past been described as 'New Irish' -- so in like kind many Blowies could be referred to 'New Sligonese'?.

Glad to hear she has set down roots in the County, the suspicion is that Stickie Labour HQ may have floated her in. She seem's like a genuine and capable, person but in truth she didn't set the campaign alight - barring claiming Sligo would have Centre of Excellent re Cancer and this smacked of desperation.

Anyways, she may be in with shout of Senate seat -- maybe she will discover a New Approach from Marc Mac (get my name up that polling list with an A ) Sharry

Right its all over,so why have'nt all those awful election posters been removed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

The candidates have 7 days to take them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Election related threads merged. This is a regional forum, not a political or election one. Please try to all posts/comments related to the election to this thread.

Thanking you.

You can BTW judge SF by its record of office in NI, where they have had to wake up to reality.

I wouldn't use N.I. as a true study of Sinn Fein's role in government, N.I. after all is not an independent entity and is dependent on Westminster funding. I'm not familiar with Sinn Fein economic policy, but I suspect they would exploit Ireland's under exploited natural resources. Perhaps even following the Norwegian model.

The irony of our former governments surrendering of financial sovereignty last November, was the lost opportunity. The ECB in particular were desperate for us to accept the 'bailout'. Yet if the spineless Lenihan had played hardball, we could have negotiated very attractive terms and an interest rate. If terms were not in our favour, we could have triggered a domino economic collapse across the EU, which would have wiped out the Euro. Thus imposing massive losses on the senior German and French bondholders and destroying monetary union.

Our government as we now know, remained balless throughout this process. Let us also not forget that it was comments made by our Reichsfuhrer - Merkel which caused the cost of Irish borrowing to sky rocket. My point being, I've no doubt the likes of Sinn Fein would have enjoyed crushing Merkels 'balls' and making a deal on our terms for the national interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Right its all over,so why have'nt all those awful election posters been removed yet?

Most of them in our neck of the woods have been taken down. What I hate is the horrible cable ties left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Settle down? What are you on about? Why would I need to settle down? Your comment was open to interpretation and this was obviously unintentional on your part.

Calm down chap! You seem very excitable!

If it was "open to interpretation" why not ask for clarification rather than jumping off on some wild tangent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

magnumlady wrote: »
    Most of them in our neck of the woods have been taken down. What I hate is the horrible cable ties left behind.

None have been taken down around here and I'm sick of the sight of them. :rolleyes:

Advertisement