Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just flicking through the Champion, looking at the election coverage, and something has struck me as being a bit odd.

In the results for booth by booth, it shows 'St Johns Hosptial, Sligo Town.' Total Votes - 13, with one vote for each of the 13 candidates. For 'St Johns Hosptial, Drumcliff,' its a similar result, Total 12 votes, one vote going to each of the 13 candidates bar Cahill who got none.

Printing mistake, or a genuine equal sharing of the vote bar Cahill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

irish-stew wrote: »
    Just flicking through the Champion, looking at the election coverage, and something has struck me as being a bit odd.

In the results for booth by booth, it shows 'St Johns Hosptial, Sligo Town.' Total Votes - 13, with one vote for each of the 13 candidates. For 'St Johns Hosptial, Drumcliff,' its a similar result, Total 12 votes, one vote going to each of the 13 candidates bar Cahill who got none.

Printing mistake, or a genuine equal sharing of the vote bar Cahill?

If you see 1 the for every candidate on the Tally results, it means that the boxes weren't tallied. Dunno why it would have said 0 for Cahill, probably a printing error.

If there are less than 50 votes in a box then the box is not tallied as the secrecy of the ballot is compromised.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    If you see 1 the for every candidate on the Tally results, it means that the boxes weren't tallied. Dunno why it would have said 0 for Cahill, probably a printing error.

If there are less than 50 votes in a box then the box is not tallied as the secrecy of the ballot is compromised.

I thought I seen that some where with regards to the secrecy, was surprised to see results for such a small booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

At least they wouldn't let the IMF/ECB dictate the agenda, like the rest of the sheep will. I love this ignorant fear of the unknown some people have, I tend to judge a party by it's record in office.

What do you judge a party by in the absence of a record in office?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

The candidates have 7 days to take them down.
    From what day? Voting day?
    If you see 1 the for every candidate on the Tally results, it means that the boxes weren't tallied.
    Does that mean their vote didn't count or what?
    :confused:

• Advertisement

thebuzz wrote: »

7 days from when the polls close, so all must be down by 10pm on Friday. E150 fine per poster per day after that, though usually candidates get a warning first and no fine will be issued if they are taken down within a day of the warning.

Of course the vote counts, it just wasn't available for public tally.

7 days from when the polls close, so all must be down by 10pm on Friday. E150 fine per poster per day after that, though usually candidates get a warning first and no fine will be issued if they are taken down within a day of the warning.
    Who would you need to contact to inform them after this date? County council presumably?

Who would you need to contact to inform them after this date? County council presumably?

the litter warden

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

the litter warden

sligo co co has no litter warden since last one left/retired? embargo on recruitment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

sligo co co has no litter warden since last one left/retired? embargo on recruitment :(

They didn't have one for quite a while, but they have one now again and he is quite active.

I've been going around taking some down and have taken all the cable ties I find too.
    Most of the poster removers just tear down the poster leaving the ties behind, a real bug bear for some people, myself included.
    Some of them though have been cutting the cable ties and then just leaving them on the ground after them, which is even worse :mad:#

If anyone is ever looking for a lock of cable ties, of assorted lengths, please let me know......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

The tallies aren't part of the official count. Each candidate is allowed to have a number of tallymen present at the count. As the boxes are opened and the votes checked by the official counters, tallymen standing over their shoulders make a note of the first preferences on the ballots. Returning officers usually don't allow tallys to be done on boxes containing few votes out of privacy concerns. Once each box has been emptied, the votes are then distributed to each candidates pile so it is then no longer possible to identify the origin of a particular vote. The reason they don't give past the first preference on the tallies is simply that the tallymen do not have the time to write it down, they concentrate on who received the first preference, and noting where their own candidate is picking up transfers from.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Pete M. wrote: »
    They didn't have one for quite a while, but they have one now again and he is quite active.

QUOTE]

Thanks I didnt know we had a new one , I have some buisness for him/her regarding an illegal dump:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

No ministerial position for Mr Perry.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    No ministerial position for Mr Perry.
    Thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Rumours were that he'd get one if both the FG candidates got in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I heard down the town that he got a junior ministry today

Slidey wrote: »
    I heard down the town that he got a junior ministry today

He did indeed. Small business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

The constituency will now become a land flowing with milk and honey, just as it was under the last Minister of State.

Oh, hang on, that was Dr Dolittle, wasn't it? Hm! :rolleyes:

Advertisement