Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Ned Green wrote: »
    Just heard a spokesperson for the Save Our Cancer Services on Ocean FM say she was confident that the written guarantees given to them by FG,Labour,and SF,will see the service restored to Sligo General once theirs a change of government after the election.I wouldn't hold my breath,whatever about SF,I would not believe a word a Blueshirt or a New Labour politican gives.Just ask the DoorlyPark/MartinSavage community about their written pledges.

Well said. Look at the Liberals in England -- pre-Election promise no increased rates for Students, post-Election in Government complete U-Turn.

There will be no money for Sligo General -- wasted by HSE -- PD Mary Harney (how the F*ck is she still in power, what demented mandate has this demented country giving that obese inbred?)

As for Dr Devins -- just glad his political career is going the way of poor Gerry Ryan, when he did operation transformation, why didn't he go on a course to transform his nether regions and grow a pair? Stand up for Sligo and region and say no, I am not voting with this henous Goverment and help pull the plug.

Snouts in troughs, Ministerial pension, TD pension and back to his cosy little practice holding the hands of auld dears, saying what a lovely fellow he is and how he did his best, and sorry you have to go on the Cancer Bus to Galway -- all the while Medical Card fees coming in through the post.

What a joke. And then you have the maverick Second Cousin, Jude lining up to put his snout in, with McSharry jostling.

These guys are pathetic self-serving. They are all the same lying hypocrites. They have some neck. Wait and see them come around looking for votes. The absolute cheek. The effrontery.

The political class in this country are as back as anything you would get in a war ravaged post-Colonial Third World hell hole, their mentality is precisely the same, big flashy cars, big pot bellies and let the peasants eat cake.

There is not one politican I would vote for out of the current crop -- not one. I am not alone. But this just suits the political class because the system has to be maintained irrespective of right or wrong, aibility or otherwise.

Fair play to those head bangers going to Devins and Scanlon's offices, I don't know anything about them, wouldn't dignify them with my presence, but at least it shows these incompetents that not everyone is part of the sheeple herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Fair play to those head bangers going to Devins and Scanlon's offices, I don't know anything about them, wouldn't dignify them with my presence, but at least it shows these incompetents that not everyone is part of the sheeple herd.

We will be dignified enough despite your absence.

Head bangers you may call us, but surely tis head banging time.
    But we are just like you, disenchanted and angry.

It's all good and well to sit and snipe at the bumbling idiots, but we consider taking this onto the streets as something that must be done.

As you have said we are showing them we no longer wish to follow their lead and that there must be a general election now.

Maybe we had no influence over Jimmy's decision to bow out, but surely he was aware of our protests.

And maybe The Bubble will get wind of it too and reconsider his position.

His bowing down to the party whip again is enough to turn the stomach though, his protest at the removal of cancer services from SGH has come to an end, so therefore he must support it.

Hopefully there will be quite a few head bangers outside his office in Ballymote tomorrow and then Manorhamilton in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Pete M. wrote: »
    Head bangers you may call us, but surely tis head banging time.
    But we are just like you, disenchanted and angry.

And those who have went on the streets need applauded not slagged off by chair bandits

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Sorry Pete M lack of punctuation and highlighting in which confusion arose -- the 'them', was the aforementioned Devins and Scanlon's not the head bangers, they're cool:) Actually, I applaud their direct action.

I just wish I could muster a little belief in the political system - but I am just so sick of the all that really being so disenchanted with the lot, that I find it hard to become excorised.

Hope the Bally-remote protest, when well, have visions of 'Marie Scanlon' handing out weight-watcher buns to the disaffected masses, with regard to the 'let them eat cake' mantra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

where is our other FF Senator - Geraldine Feeney - in all this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Ned Green

Any reports from the Bally-Remote protest today,was their a large turnout?did any politicians take part?,just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

There were around 12 people there, not great but it still happened.

Declan Bree and Michael Clarke both participated.

The office is down the end of the street away from the centre of Ballymote.

And there were no placards or banners :o

Didn't got it together in time.

Anyhoo, we shall continue with these protests and intend to have another in Manorhamilton in three weeks time outside Eamon Scanlon's office there in the town.

I couldn't make the protest due to work commitments.I did participate in last weeks demo,over 50 people present on a cold and damp winters morning outside Devins office,we were then rewarded with his resignation last Tuesday.It's also disappointing to note that the Shinners are conspicuous by their absence.Maybe they don't want to be associated with left politics.The next protest which is due to take place in Manorhamilton(date to be announced)will give an indication of how left wing Michael Colreavy is,after all it's his home base and his presence would be more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Pete M. wrote: »
    There were around 12 people there, not great but it still happened.

Declan Bree and Michael Clarke both participated.

The office is down the end of the street away from the centre of Ballymote.

And there were no placards or banners :o

Didn't got it together in time.

Anyhoo, we shall continue with these protests and intend to have another in Manorhamilton in three weeks time outside Eamon Scanlon's office there in the town.

Is that the same Michael Clarke who served time in jail for fraud??? only in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

bonzos wrote: »
    Is that the samee Michael Clarke who served time in jail for fraud??? only in Ireland!
    is he not also independent finna fail as well?

• Advertisement

bonzos wrote: »
    Is that the same Michael Clarke who served time in jail for fraud??? only in Ireland!

Yeah,he's a former member of a party ZanuFF that has bankrupted the country,left ordinary people too pick up the tab of the "Galway Tent"backer's of the"Party",left us in hock to the IMF/EU elite,sold off our oil and gas reserves to Shell for a fiver.Privatised Eircom,Sold off Aer Lingus etc.The party of "Thanks Big Fella"Haughey,"I won it on the Horses "Ahern,fellow jailbirds ranged from the "Stroke"Fahey to Ex Ministers Lalor and Burke.Not to mention Calleley,O'donaghue and the endless wastage of taxpayers money.the list is endless,something that's more akin to a third world dictatorship than a modern european democracy.Need I go on, at least Clarke had the good sense to resign,as he said himself he,s paid the price and against all odd,s turned his life around.Everyone deserves a second chance,except that is The Party of Destruction who are guilty of ECONOMIC TREASON.

Yeah,he's a former member of a party ZanuFF that has bankrupted the country,left ordinary people too pick up the tab of the "Galway Tent"backer's of the"Party",left us in hock to the IMF/EU elite,sold off our oil and gas reserves to Shell for a fiver.Privatised Eircom,Sold off Aer Lingus etc.The party of "Thanks Big Fella"Haughey,"I won it on the Horses "Ahern,fellow jailbirds ranged from the "Stroke"Fahey to Ex Ministers Lalor and Burke.Not to mention Calleley,O'donaghue and the endless wastage of taxpayers money.the list is endless,something that's more akin to a third world dictatorship than a modern european democracy.Need I go on, at least Clarke had the good sense to resign,as he said himself he,s paid the price and against all odd,s turned his life around.Everyone deserves a second chance,except that is The Party of Destruction who are guilty of ECONOMIC TREASON.

"Ah geesus he's not all that bad" - expect to hear this on the doorstep!

I hear Cllr JimmyMcGarry the former Mayor of Sligo and Labour GE candidate in 2007 was convicted of two charges in Sligo District Court today.He received a small fine and 12 months probation.Charges against his two co accused were dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dr.shephard

I couldn't make the protest due to work commitments.I did participate in last weeks demo,over 50 people present on a cold and damp winters morning outside Devins office,we were then rewarded with his resignation last Tuesday.It's also disappointing to note that the Shinners are conspicuous by their absence.Maybe they don't want to be associated with left politics.The next protest which is due to take place in Manorhamilton(date to be announced)will give an indication of how left wing Michael Colreavy is,after all it's his home base and his presence would be more than welcome.

I know Colreavy quite well and I can assure you that he is very much left wing.
    Don't know if he's going to be at the protest or not, but he certainly doesn't have to go to prove to you or anyone else how left wing he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TheEarlyFox

I hear Cllr JimmyMcGarry the former Mayor of Sligo and Labour GE candidate in 2007 was convicted of two charges in Sligo District Court today.He received a small fine and 12 months probation.Charges against his two co accused were dismissed.

That information is inaccurate and incorrect. As can be seen from most articles on the subject, Cllr Jimmy McGarry had two charges dismissed and was fined 200 euro for not having a licence on that date.

"The charge of resisting a garda was dismissed by the judge saying he did not believe there had been criminal intent. He applied the Probation Act on a charge of engaging in threatening abusive or insulting behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace"

May I ask what relevance your post has to this thread or is it just an effort to spread bad, inaccurate press as far and wide as possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

That information is inaccurate and incorrect. As can be seen from most articles on the subject, Cllr Jimmy McGarry had two charges dismissed and was fined 200 euro for not having a licence on that date.

"The charge of resisting a garda was dismissed by the judge saying he did not believe there had been criminal intent. He applied the Probation Act on a charge of engaging in threatening abusive or insulting behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace"

May I ask what relevance your post has to this thread or is it just an effort to spread bad, inaccurate press as far and wide as possible?[/QUOTE

Hard to see much difference between the original post and your "correction".
    Even harder to follow is the judge's reasoning but that is for another forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Back to the election its self, todays Sligo Champion has published the profiles for some of the candidates who have declared their intentions to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

May I ask what relevance your post has to this thread or is it just an effort to spread bad, inaccurate press as far and wide as possible?

Excuse me I am not a liar.Let's be quite clear Judge Kilrane applied the Probation Act on a public order charge and fined him 200 euro for selling liquer without a current licence.At the time of the incident Labour Cllr McGarry was chairperson of the local policing committee,he was also the Labour Party candidate for Sligo/NLeitrim in 2007 and addressed the Labour 2007 National Conference on Law and Order.He is a poor example of a public representative and if Labour are happy to have such people within their ranks,its a poor reflection on their chances of regaining a Dail seat in this constituency.

If people are going to discuss the Jimmy McGarry case, especially as there seems to be some debate on the facts can they please provide links to their information, also please try and keep it relevant to the upcoming election.

Thanking you.

• Advertisement

Just incase you have not heard the election has been called for the 11th March. Advise to all intending to vote is to check the register to make sure you are on it. If you are not you have till the 21st of febuary to get your details updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Just tried using that site they say you can find out if you're a registered voter or not... They couldn't even tell me my bloody estate name after about 50 goes. It's not a small estate. It's impossible to have NO ONE from my estate registered, so that they won't even LIST the estate.

Ireland is so hopeless.

Lornen wrote: »
    Just tried using that site they say you can find out if you're a registered voter or not... They couldn't even tell me my bloody estate name after about 50 goes. It's not a small estate. It's impossible to have NO ONE from my estate registered, so that they won't even LIST the estate.

Ireland is so hopeless.

I found mine by using my full name and estate, after reading your post I tried to see what came up using my first inital, surname and townland. It found the townland but noting more.

Did you try yourself by putting in alternative details, or just using the first part of the estate name or first few letters.

Seen this on the site as well, they also might be able to advise if your registered as well.
    If you were previously on the Register Of Electors, but have changed address :
    Fill in form RFA1, and return to Corporate Services Section, Sligo County Council, Riverside, Sligo.

If your information is incorrect :
    Please contact:
    Sligo County Council on
    Phone : 071-911-1111

Yeah I have tried everything you mentioned.

I typed in everyone over the age of 18 in my family's details in and only my mother came up. My 2 older siblings and myself do not appear on our current address, previous address and even our grandparents address who I sometimes get mail delivered to as they only live up the road.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Lornen wrote: »
    Yeah I have tried everything you mentioned.

I typed in everyone over the age of 18 in my family's details in and only my mother came up. My 2 older siblings and myself do not appear on our current address, previous address and even our grandparents address who I sometimes get mail delivered to as they only live up the road.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Do you mind if I ask if you have voted before or if you have been eligable to vote for long, this may be a factor.

Have you or any of your siblings lived away from home for work or college or do you already and may be registered else where?

irish-stew wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask if you have voted before or if you have been eligable to vote for long, this may be a factor.

Have you or any of your siblings lived away from home for work or college or do you already and may be registered else where?

It will be my first time to vote. Slightly ashamed as I am nearly 20 but hey, better late than never! I had someone come to the door and ask if anyone needed registering and my sister gave them my details. Eldest sister always gets her little voting slip, 2 in fact for some bizarre reason and alright my brother hasn't lived in Sligo for a number of years. But My sister definitely voted last year and they have gotten my information off my family..

Also my information was taken about a month after the Lisbon Treaty..

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

What is the difference between fianna fail and fianna gael? I know the used to be of the same party then split over the north. Thats about all i know.

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    What is the difference between fianna fail and fianna gael?

One party has been in power for yonks stealing all round them, taking back handers around planning, putting friends and relatives into quangos and payments for nothing, the other are jealous and can't wait to begin doing the same.

Both sold us off via the bank guarantee and Lisbon.

BTW so did Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    What is the difference between fianna fail and fianna gael? I know the used to be of the same party then split over the north. Thats about all i know.

It's Fine Gael.

They were never the same party.

A quick Google search and some reading will get you more information on both.

Ideologically there is very little between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

It's Fine Gael.

They were never the same party.

A quick Google search and some reading will get you more information on both.

Ideologically there is very little between them.

Both parties have been formed from a split with Sinn Fein.

In 1923 pro-treaty members of Sinn Fein formed a new party, Cumann na nGaedhal which went on to become the modern Fine Gael.
    Those who were anti treaty remained in sinn fein but refused to take their Dail seats.
    In 1926 Eamonn de Valera proposed that elected Sinn Fein members be allowed to take their seats in the Dáil if the oath of allegiance to the King was removed. When this motion was failed de Valera resigned from Sinn Féin and formed Fianna Fail.

Advertisement