Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

This talk of 1923 and all that and blue shirts etc makes me laugh. My 87 year old mother asked the same question of a canvassing councillor in her constituency last year. He started to prattle on about 1923 the civil war and blue shirts.

My very politically astute mother said:

Young man I was born in 1923, what was going on this state the year I was born has absolutely no relevance in politics today, I lived through the rise of fascism in the 1930s and saw many friends die (on both sides) in the Spanish civil war in the international brigades, I then lived through a world war in which I lost close family members, I have raised five children have 19 grand children two great grand children and 1923 is for me literally a lifetime away, when you can give me a proper explanation I might vote for you.

You see this is the complete bollox we have to put up with - the issues of 1923 have been solved (they call it the good friday agreemen in case you missed it), we all voted on it. Partition politics is only an issue for one party (guess who but its not FG or FF).

So forget who your grandfather fought for in the war of independence, the spanish civil war etc. and remind yourself that its 2011, and forget who your parents voted for - make a decision on what you think is best for Ireland in 2011 and make a decision not because you are angry with FF but base it on who will pragmatically do the best for the country. Most of us as individuals will keep on struggling through life and be no better or worse off under any party - we will only be better off through our own endouvours as individuals.

Fianna Fail simply don't deserve to be in Government, Fianna Gael - seem to have a good manager at the helm (and I for one am fed up with bull sh*tters leading the country with a flair for public speaking and so called charisma, I want somebody competent who can manage a team.) Remember you are not voting for an executive presiden buy an Executive Cabinet supported by a team of back benchers. Both Labour and definitely SF having heard Gerry Adams in cloud cuckoo land this morning on morning Ireland seem to have their heads buried in the sand about what deep S H one T this country is in - I therefore conclude (and my father voted FF all his life) that actually a majority government of FG "managed" by Enda is seemingly the best option. My analysis is my own, my vote will be my own - 1, 2 and 3 if they put up a third candidate FG . There my pen will stop writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

westtip wrote: »
    This talk of 1923 and all that and blue shirts etc makes me laugh. My 87 year old mother asked the same question of a canvassing councillor in her constituency last year. He started to prattle on about 1923 the civil war and blue shirts.

My very politically astute mother said:

Young man I was born in 1923, what was going on this state the year I was born has absolutely no relevance in politics today, I lived through the rise of fascism in the 1930s and saw many friends die (on both sides) in the Spanish civil war in the international brigades, I then lived through a world war in which I lost close family members, I have raised five children have 19 grand children two great grand children and 1923 is for me literally a lifetime away, when you can give me a proper explanation I might vote for you.

You see this is the complete bollox we have to put up with - the issues of 1923 have been solved (they call it the good friday agreemen in case you missed it), we all voted on it. Partition politics is only an issue for one party (guess who but its not FG or FF).

So forget who your grandfather fought for in the war of independence, the spanish civil war etc. and remind yourself that its 2011, and forget who your parents voted for - make a decision on what you think is best for Ireland in 2011 and make a decision not because you are angry with FF but base it on who will pragmatically do the best for the country. Most of us as individuals will keep on struggling through life and be no better or worse off under any party - we will only be better off through our own endouvours as individuals.

Fianna Fail simply don't deserve to be in Government, Fianna Gael - seem to have a good manager at the helm (and I for one am fed up with bull sh*tters leading the country with a flair for public speaking and so called charisma, I want somebody competent who can manage a team.) Remember you are not voting for an executive presiden buy an Executive Cabinet supported by a team of back benchers. Both Labour and definitely SF having heard Gerry Adams in cloud cuckoo land this morning on morning Ireland seem to have their heads buried in the sand about what deep S H one T this country is in - I therefore conclude (and my father voted FF all his life) that actually a majority government of FG "managed" by Enda is seemingly the best option. My analysis is my own, my vote will be my own - 1, 2 and 3 if they put up a third candidate FG . There my pen will stop writing.

FG's second candidate in Sligo - Tony McLoughlin - is indistinguishable from FF and has consistently voted to rezone land in order to benefit a handful. I would not give the guy house room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Any word of the ff candidate selction at their convention this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

sligopark wrote: »
    Any word of the ff candidate selction at their convention this evening?

A crowd of over 400 (still a lot of eejits out there) witnessed "His Royal Highness" and "Big Dinner" both being selected to run in the election.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    A crowd of over 400 (still a lot of eejits out there) witnessed "His Royal Highness" and "Big Dinner" both being selected to run in the election.

BOTH? Geesus ff still proving they have the ability to make the poorest of decisions ....

This centre left Martin will undoubtedly lead ff into the ground and allow adams take more seats than them and lead the opposition ...

FF's need a centre right party to get behind .... sorry forgot not politically correct and no one would have the balls to begin one or profess centre right thinking ...

Michael Martin ... unfortunately another slippy slimy guy wanting the glory and not having the ability for anything much, never mind bring back ff to its roots past relativism, gombeenism, nepotism, cronyism and selling off national interest.

FF now in Sligo are heading to non representation .... if big dinner had any integrity he would have stood aside.

• Advertisement

ELECTION POSTERS: CANDIDATES IN the forthcoming general election have been warned that they face fines for littering if they put up posters in advance of the general election.

A provision enacted in 2009 forbids the erection of election posters before the general election is called or 30 days before to polling day, whichever is sooner.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0125/1224288250539.html

The building at the top of O'Connell Street is covered with gigantic posters of FG's Tony McLoughlin. Will the Borough Council prosecute one of their own councillors?

It is ok to put posters on privately owned properties prior to the election being called.

It is not however ok to put them on poles.

Paddy Power odds for Sligo North/Leitrim

Perry (FG) 1/12
    Mc Loughlin (FG) 4/9
    Scanlon (FF) 8/11
    Colreavy (SF) 5/4
    Mc Sharry (FF) 6/4
    O' Keefe (LAB) 7/4
    Bree (IND) 6/1
    Clarke (IND) 9/1
    Mc Sharry (IND) 25/1
    Love (IND) 25/1
    Gogan (Green) 40/1

I think O'Keefe should be a bigger price than that and she certainly will be if Cawley runs.

Bree should probably be a bit shorter than 6/1.

Paddy Power odds for Sligo North/Leitrim

Perry (FG) 1/12
    Mc Loughlin (FG) 4/9
    Scanlon (FF) 8/11
    Colreavy (SF) 5/4
    Mc Sharry (FF) 6/4
    O' Keefe (LAB) 7/4
    Bree (IND) 6/1
    Clarke (IND) 9/1
    Mc Sharry (IND) 25/1
    Love (IND) 25/1
    Gogan (Green) 40/1

I think O'Keefe should be a bigger price than that and she certainly will be if Cawley runs.

Bree should probably be a bit shorter than 6/1.

Scanlon 8/11? with McSharry taking away his town and Sth Sligo vote he should around 5/1

McSharry worth a punt at 6/4 (Clarke being his relative will pull out and his votes will go McSharry) and SF at 5/4 look good too, pulling in Leitrim votes along with the McManus family vote in Sligo town North Leitrim)

McLoughlin will have less than the shoe in most people expect

Labour will have no affiliation with a blow in trying to suck up Cawley / Bree votes - they should get in a better strategist than they have now

MY own prediction:

Perry (FG)
    McSharry (FF)
    Colreavy (SF)

Anyone know if I can get a price on this treble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Well I'm going to be campaigning for Declan Bree so surely the odds must drop because of that :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Not being cheeky but why Declan Bree Pete?

I ask because my vote is undecided.

That's not cheeky :)

If I couldn't tell you why then it'd be kind of pointless going out campaigning.

But the reason why I'm assisting in Bree's campaign is because I think that he is the only candidate in Sligo/Leitrim whose policies and ideas provide an alternative to the way this country has been run up until now.

I've thought about running myself, but I have no experience of elections really, so it would have been naive of me to just jump straight in and expect to make any impact.

But over the past couple of years, I've been giving out about all the sh1t that has gone on and Bree's views are very close to my own, so I thought why not?

I do a lot of talking and giving out about the government, developers etc. so this is a way of being productive with all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Could anyone tell me what are Susan O'Keefe's policys are, because when a group of people campaigning for went to my mother's house and when she asked them none of them could tell her. They told her to go and contact her herself.

sligopark wrote: »
    Scanlon 8/11? with McSharry taking away his town and Sth Sligo vote he should around 5/1

McSharry worth a punt at 6/4 (Clarke being his relative will pull out and his votes will go McSharry) and SF at 5/4 look good too, pulling in Leitrim votes along with the McManus family vote in Sligo town North Leitrim)

McLoughlin will have less than the shoe in most people expect

Labour will have no affiliation with a blow in trying to suck up Cawley / Bree votes - they should get in a better strategist than they have now

MY own prediction:

Perry (FG)
    McSharry (FF)
    Colreavy (SF)

Anyone know if I can get a price on this treble?

The odds on that treble would be a little over 5/1, however Paddy Powere only take singles on constituency betting.

It is unlikely you will find anywhere to take a treble

According to one delegate, there was an attempt to have only one candidate. This Head Office plan was rejected by local delegates who rallied to the Ballymote Boy and scuppered the McSharrys' plan.

Talking of the McSharrys, has anyone else heard the rumours about Marc's dad? rumours which can be traced back to the Clarks.

Essexboy wrote: »
    According to one delegate, there was an attempt to have only one candidate. This Head Office plan was rejected by local delegates who rallied to the Ballymote Boy and scuppered the McSharrys' plan.

Talking of the McSharrys, has anyone else heard the rumours about Marc's dad? rumours which can be traced back to the Clarks.

Do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No rumours please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

irish-stew wrote: »
    No rumours please.

But, but ... Rumours are fun ... :)

Am I right in assuming Mr. Clarke doesn't have a large following, being a convicted fraudster and all?

Nice man and I'm sure he would make a good politician given the scope but after what he tried, he doesn't deserve a line on the voting card never mind a possible seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

I see on the interwebs this morning that Veronica Cawley is running as Independent Labour (or as she put it on twitter, "Independant Labour") I think that makes 12 candidates so far. Is this correct?

FF:
    Marc MacSharry
    Eamon Scanlon
    FG:
    Tony McLaughlin
    John Perry
    Labour:
    Susan O'Keeffe
    Greens:
    Johnny Gogan
    SF:
    Michael Colreavy
    Independent:
    Declan Bree
    Veronica Cawley
    Michael Clarke
    Alwyn Love
    Gabriel MacSharry

Am I missing anyone?

I think Sligo/North-Leitrim is going to definitely be a constituency to watch.

Just heard that there will be a live debate involving all the general election candidates in Sligo/Leitrim constituency.

It will be on the 16th of February and will be held in the Clarion Hotel.

http://www.thebigticket.ie/

This will be a brilliant opportunity for anyone interested in hearing what each of them has to say about the main issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Heard there is a live debate involving all candidates in the Clarion hotel, Feb 16th.

thebuzz wrote: »
    Heard there is a live debate involving all candidates in the Clarion hotel, Feb 16th.

http://www.thebigticket.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ned Green

irish-stew wrote: »
    No rumours please.

I hear talks are ongoing between Declan Bree and the United Left Alliance.From what I hear they are progressing well,and a major announcement is expected soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 thebigticket

Hi Folks,

I am one of the organisers of The Big Ticket event in Sligo/North Leitrim. It is a completely independent event and has the express goal of introducing voters to their candidates. On the night each candidate will have 3 minutes to put forward their case, they will then be an interview style debate and finally the panel will answer questions from the audience.

If you would like to help out, please "Like" our Facebook page...
    http://facebook.com/bigticket2011

Or send the site around to any of your friends in Sligo/Leitrim...
    http://thebigticket.ie

Let me know if you have any questions or if you would like to get this event going in your own constituency.

David
    thebigticket.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Are election posters officially allowed up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

i believe so that the dail is being dissolved. albeit a wee bit early they can go up today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I'm guessing yes since I seen several Lucinda Creighton posters in Dublin city centre today :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

They are now that the election has been called, seen a few up this morning, not sure they would have been allowed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Essexboy wrote: »

I am delighted they have two candidates - they have effectively shot themselves in the foot of getting one seat - or at least i hope thats what they have done.

Apart from the fact he is FF - the main reason I won't vote McSharry is because I don't buy into all this "his dad was a great guy politics" and that goes for any party - its all a load of bollox. Look what this inherited seat nonsense and family dynsaty cr*p has given irish politics. Shoudl be a law against being allowed to stand if yoru father mother had a seat! I hope he comes to my door - I want to tell him to his face and I don't care what he has done in the Senate. his name on the ticket and going on about being his fathers son has nothing to do about lving in a meritocracy its more like feudalism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I see Alwyn Love is running as an independent. Hope he does well. His policies are different to the rest of them and make a lot of sense....he is looking for a national government for a number of years - while we are having to go by EU / IMF rules anyway. Read this, its interesting:

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=11965&PHPSESSID=5a453afde19736bee2a04e88a24e3cb2

He makes more sense than most of the others anyway.

Advertisement