Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

This ticket is starting to get fairly crowded.
    gigino wrote: »
    I see Alwyn Love is running as an independent. Hope he does well. His policies are different to the rest of them and make a lot of sense....he is looking for a national government for a number of years - while we are having to go by EU / IMF rules anyway. Read this, its interesting:

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=11965&PHPSESSID=5a453afde19736bee2a04e88a24e3cb2

He makes more sense than most of the others anyway.

I see on his posters around my way that he still has the labour logo on them. I wonder how the party faithful will feel about that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Hi Folks,

I am one of the organisers of The Big Ticket event in Sligo/North Leitrim. It is a completely independent event and has the express goal of introducing voters to their candidates. On the night each candidate will have 3 minutes to put forward their case, they will then be an interview style debate and finally the panel will answer questions from the audience.

If you would like to help out, please "Like" our Facebook page...
    http://facebook.com/bigticket2011

Or send the site around to any of your friends in Sligo/Leitrim...
    http://thebigticket.ie

Let me know if you have any questions or if you would like to get this event going in your own constituency.

David
    thebigticket.ie

Hi David,
    Leitrim local branch of (another non party aligned independent movement) Claiming our Future. is organising an event such as this in Leitrim. So keep an eye out.

I think it is a credit to the people in Sligo North Leitrim that they are so mobilised. The date fixed is 15th of Feb so it may well be a dry run for the candidates for your event! The candidates will have to work hard to get their seats!!

Another aspect that people may find really helpful in this area is that Claiming our Future has compiled tools, like a hit list of questions people can ask at the door step to see if your politicians share a vision that involves real change.

Have a look at the website but I think its dead handy
    http://www.claimingourfuture.ie/campaigns/election-2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Can you vote for yourself in an election or what?:confused:

Alwyn says he isn't going to vote because there's no-one worth voting for?!

If you can, then surely this betrays a certain lack of self belief...

His comments are all fair enough, but a National government for ten years?

And roll with the bailout?

(It's not our debt btw, just so that's clear,..... again)

But shur it's a campaign of splits so far, and surely with himself and M Clarke being so close together, geographically like, this could split their local vote too maybe?

Poll above looking good for ULA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I think that article was written before he decided to run.

Of course a candidate can vote for themselves.
    Once they are on the voting register then they are entitled to to go to their local polling station and fill out their ballot paper just like everyone else.

In our constituency every candidate will be voting for themselves.

In other constituencies maybe not, eg. In Mayo where Fine Gael are attempting to win 4 out of 5 seats, Enda Kenny whose seat is safe will probably be voting for one of the other FG candidates.

Likewise in Cavan/Monaghan where Sinn Feins Caomhin O' Caoilan will probably be voting for his running mate Kathryn Reilly as his own seat is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Pete M. wrote: »
    Can you vote for yourself in an election or what?:confused:

Alwyn says he isn't going to vote because there's no-one worth voting for?!

If you can, then surely this betrays a certain lack of self belief...

His comments are all fair enough, but a National government for ten years?

And roll with the bailout?

(It's not our debt btw, just so that's clear,..... again)

But shur it's a campaign of splits so far, and surely with himself and M Clarke being so close together, geographically like, this could split their local vote too maybe?

Poll above looking good for ULA.
    thats the only vote your certain of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Ned Green

The Labour party campaign in this constituency appears to be in meltdown.Cllr Veronica Cawley has been expelled from the party because she's running as an Independent.It now appears that Labour Cllr Marcella McGarry is out canvassing with Veronica.I wonder will Wee Jimmy follow suite or remain loyal to the Party.

Ned Green wrote: »
    I wonder will Wee Jimmy follow suite or remain loyal to the Party.

Hah! That's funny :D
    Which party would that be now I wonder?

Just back from a canvas in Sligo with Declan Bree this evening. Very good reception I'd have to say.

People saying there have only been 3 groups around, including us. Tony and another, probably Veronica.

Twas a sh1te evening and maybe that helped our cause.
    But generally people were friendly and promised a few strokes.
    They are certainly p1ssed off with one party in particular.
    One chap, when asked what issue affected him the most, simply replied "fcukin fianna fail".

It's going to be a very close one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Back in Sligo tonight. Tony McLoughlin seems to have North of the town (dunno about anywhere else) fairly well postered anyway!

According to my parents he's also the only candidate who has called to our house thus far. My sibling is heavily involved in FG though so they didn't really need to convince anyone in our house :P

Interested to see what the other candidates will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ned Green

Speaking about postering, passing the Racecourse/Cleaveragh area tonight I noticed a large number of posters have been removed and dumped from polls deliberately,not by the bad weather.No particular party appears to have been targeted,this area is rife with vandalism recently,rocks have been thrown at cars,windows broken in houses,under age drinking etc.I hope all the politicians have anti-social behaviour on their agenda and actually do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I hear that one of our candidates is a convicted criminal...

• Advertisement

I hear that one of our candidates is a convicted criminal...

I'm fairly certain most people know about said candidate's past by now - it was publicly reported coming up to the last county council elections sure.

Ever heard of second chances? This convicted criminal malarkey is old news by now.

Personally not sure if someone convicted of ripping off government bodies and scamming money from them should be given another chance near positions of power tbh. Presently people who have gone bankrupt are not allowed run for the Dail, that's a far smaller 'crime' than what this man has committed.

While that's true, I'm a firm believer in the fact that people can change. He got on the county council so obviously I'm not the only one who believes this. If he does a good job now, that's the important thing.

I won't be giving him my number 1 or 2 anyway as I'm a FG woman but I just really don't think his past should be held over him.

Shur let the man run. Not like he's going to succeed.
    There's enough criminals in there already as it is. Even if he did get in, his crimes would pale in comparison to those who have served before.

And @ konata. Are you FG, like through and through, as in your family have always been FG, or because you think they have the best policies?

My family has never been affliated with any one political party really - my parents always tried to vote for the best candidates and best parties at the time. When I entered college a few years ago I chose to join YFG as I felt they were the best party around, and I believed in their policies. My brother followed the year after, joining YFG and is now very involved in the party with campaigns etc.

So yea, there's no history of stoic FG following in the family but my brother and I are certainly supporters now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Fascinating poll, thanks op. It will be very interesting to compare it to reality on the night.

I'm voting greens.

I think they have integrity and are championing political reform. They have done a number of very positive things while in power.

They are championing a high tech green innovation economy.

They introduced a carbon tax and use the money to grant aid home insulation (generous grants too).

They brought the bicycle back into use in Ireland

I love what they did with motor tax. We are all driving smaller cars now and are polluting far less.

They made a start at ridding Ireland of horrific blood sports.

They champion animal rights, something that we the Irish have a lousy record on.

People give them a hard time because they go against the old ethos of local politics so people take it personally. In reality we need to end this local politics approach. We need politicians who are working for the country, not dealing with local issues. We either want political reform or we don't, we can't have it both ways.

BTW, I am n ot a member of any political organisation whatsoever. I am middle aged, live in rural Sligo and this is my first time to vote in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Konata wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain most people know about said candidate's past by now - it was publicly reported coming up to the last county council elections sure.

Ever heard of second chances? This convicted criminal malarkey is old news by now.

Ever heard of second chances? Will you give FF one?

Michael Clarke represents the worst of Irish politics -using public office to benefit private interests. Every time a rezoning motion comes before the County Council, Clarke supports the speculators: he even proposed rezoning land in Grange although he lives at the other end of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Essexboy wrote: »
    Ever heard of second chances? Will you give FF one?

Michael Clarke represents the worst of Irish politics -using public office to benefit private interests. Every time a rezoning motion comes before the County Council, Clarke supports the speculators: he even proposed rezoning land in Grange although he lives at the other end of the county.

He is ex FF that went to jail on fraud charges. Why bother voting for him? Have we not had enough chancers ruining this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Howdy guys, not sure if you are aware, but boards is running its own poll for the election. There are polls for each constituency, and you can vote as many times as you like, ie, should you change your mind, or make a mistake, but its only your last vote that will actually count.

The link to get involved is www.boards.ie/vote, votes are tallied every hour so it's quite up to date. All details surrounding the poll are also here, details are also on the folllowing forum on the Politics Board.

If you notice any errors on the poll please post them on the following forum, also on the Politics board. The absent Veronica Cawley has already been noted. The programers are hoping to rectify these mistakes over the weekend or by the start of the week.

So far, party wise, Sligo/North Leitrim is looking like this.

1. Fine Gael 32.6%
    2. Sinn Féin 24.4%
    3. Labour 18.6%
    4. Independent 16.3%
    5. Fianna Fáil 4.7%
    6. Green Party 3.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Any one had any canvessers yet? Three so far here. Have not spoke to any personally my self, have either dropped the leaflet through the letter box or caught one of the housemates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

irish-stew wrote: »
    Any one had any canvessers yet? Three so far here. Have not spoke to any personally my self, have either dropped the leaflet through the letter box or caught one of the housemates.

Not one here.

No, but I have canvassed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Hah! That's funny :D
    Which party would that be now I wonder?

Just back from a canvas in Sligo with Declan Bree this evening. Very good reception I'd have to say.

People saying there have only been 3 groups around, including us. Tony and another, probably Veronica.

Twas a sh1te evening and maybe that helped our cause.
    They are certainly p1ssed off with one party in particular.
    One chap, when asked what issue affected him the most, simply replied "fcukin fianna fail".

It's going to be a very close one though.

Gabriel McSharry was around as was O'Keeffe's people as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

That's usually the quickest way to get rid of canvassers alright, just tell them you will vote for their person.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

none here and am not holding my breath either, ran ffer off the property last election time and had "words" with a lieing fg councilor last year. I cant see any other parties bothering to canvass up my mountain , we don't matter to the councilors so the GE candidates wouldn't give a sh1t about us:(

none here and am not holding my breath either, ran ffer off the property last election time and had "words" with a lieing fg councilor last year. I cant see any other parties bothering to canvass up my mountain , we don't matter to the councilors so the GE candidates wouldn't give a sh1t about us:(

What did the councillor lie about?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

What did the councillor lie about?

He claimed he raised an issue at a council meeting and I know for a fact he didnt open his gob, will never vote FG ever again , spinless selfserving chocolate teapot :mad: I wont ID individual but I will tar them all with the same brush. They are too close to the FF standard of politics ie. no standards.

O'Keeffe, McLoughlin, Bree and MacSharry have all been around, but didn't get the chance to talk to any unfortunately.

McSharry on RTE1 now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

Declan Bree and Alwyn Love were at my door... Got a few leaflets in the door from Labour.. but thats it..Im not surprised about FF but wheres Tony ( Im a nice fella on great expenses ) Mc loughlin? ...Thought he would be flying about calling all the men John and the women Mary... Trust me thats what he does

Advertisement