Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

Whatever chance Susan O Keffe had of wining a seat in the Sligo/NorthLeitrim constituancy has definitly gone out the window ,after her deputy party leader Joan Burton appeared on local radio station Ocean Fm today. M/s Burton refused to confirm what her leader eamon Gilmore said a few months back, that if Labour were in power they would return the breast cancer services to Sligo General Hospital. This is an issue thats held very close to the hearts of an awful lot of women and men in the North west region. One of the reasons Jimmy Devins FF td has retired from politics is because of his cowardice in not standing up to Mary Harney then the minister of health . Its another reason Eamon (big dinner) Scanlon FF td will find it almost impossible to be re-elected in the coming election, he too showed his cowardice in not refusing to back the government at the time.. Joan Burton has definitly put her size 10s in it and Susan can now say a big thanks (yea) Joan for nothing... Politicians should remember that some issues especially health are sacrasant to people... Thats another fine mess you got us into Joan (Labour Party )

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ned Green

According to opinion polls it's a certainty that Labour and the Blueshirts will form the next government.Both parties by self admission subscribe to the so-called "Enterprise Economy"and pay homage to the IMF/EU bailout,the Blueshirts want to totally privatise the Health Services,not in a million years is their a hope in hell of a Blueshirt led government returning Cancer Services to SGH.This constituency according to Paddy Power betting forecasts will return 2 Gombeen Blueshirts and the MaFFia's arrogant upstart HRH Sen Mark.The opinion polls indicates their is a quota for at least one left wing candidate.Hopefully they are savvy enough to transfer to each other,and elect at least one decent TD from the left.

Ned Green wrote: »
    According to opinion polls it's a certainty that Labour and the Blueshirts will form the next government.Both parties by self admission subscribe to the so-called "Enterprise Economy"and pay homage to the IMF/EU bailout,the Blueshirts want to totally privatise the Health Services,not in a million years is their a hope in hell of a Blueshirt led government returning Cancer Services to SGH.This constituency according to Paddy Power betting forecasts will return 2 Gombeen Blueshirts and the MaFFia's arrogant upstart HRH Sen Mark.The opinion polls indicates their is a quota for at least one left wing candidate.Hopefully they are savvy enough to transfer to each other,and elect at least one decent TD from the left.

As usual theres a rift between left-wing candidates. Personalities seems to take over among the left, whenever it comes to elections. Bree might pull a fair size vote but I cant see him getting enough to be there for the last seat. Colreavy might just be the one to beat the Mc Sharry revisonist. .Hes an affable enough type of fellow and has no real enemies,unlike the other left-wing candidates. Nice guy to have a pint in a pub with, But Colreavy is a light weight who let us not forget in the hey day of the celtic tiger was one of the councillors who voted to sell a valuable piece of property at the time in Manorhamilton for 1 euro to a speculator. The speculator sold it on later for 200,000 euros. He has been protected from the real world most of his life by some cushy positions in the HSE and the health Board before that, as has most of his family and their families. No I think Bree would make the far better and more aggressive TD, and it would give him a chance to redeem himself from the rather meek showing he put up when he was last in the dail.

Excellent analysis,the left has to get it's act together.From what I hear Bree is in advanced talks with Joe Higgins and Richard Boyd Barrett with an announcement due shortly that he's joining the United Left Alliance.this grouping is highly vocal in it's opposition to the neocon right wing consensus that MaFFia Party,the Blueshirt/Labour axis all adhere too.

Excellent analysis,the left has to get it's act together.From what I hear Bree is in advanced talks with Joe Higgins and Richard Boyd Barrett with an announcement due shortly that he's joining the United Left Alliance.this grouping is highly vocal in it's opposition to the neocon right wing consensus that MaFFia Party,the Blueshirt/Labour axis all adhere too.

It would be a smart move by Bree to throw in his lot with the ULA. In collabaration with Joe Higgins and Richard Boyd Barrett he would get a lot of national exposure as both those guys are well repected and courted by the media heads in RTE and the national newspapers. It would do Bree no harm to be photographed and interviewed with those two media favourites. He has a lot of experiance with the media and can talk the talk with the best of them. After todays blip by Joan Bruton concerning the breast cancer issue its bye bye Susan O Keffe,and theirs a lot of her votes now available to be mooped up. It would do Bree no harm to be a bit more vocal on the health issues in the Sligo/North Leitrim area. This contest is far from over, and Im sure theres a lot more happenings ready to pop up before the 25th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

What a quaint phrase blueshirt is - something you buy from Marks and Spencer, tell me what is the point to referencing the politics of the 1930s to today, do people really get off on this bullsh*t? Its excellent to see the left as per usual totally fragmenting their vote, two FGs and one FF would be first class - we might actually end up with three TDs on the Government benches all right of centre - while the pinkos argue amongst themselves about how people on social welfare shoulb be getting more and more cash thrown at them for doing nothing.

westtip wrote: »
    What a quaint phrase blueshirt is - something you buy from Marks and Spencer, tell me what is the point to referencing the politics of the 1930s to today, do people really get off on this bullsh*t? Its excellent to see the left as per usual totally fragmenting their vote, two FGs and one FF would be first class - we might actually end up with three TDs on the Government benches all right of centre - while the pinkos argue amongst themselves about how people on social welfare shoulb be getting more and more cash thrown at them for doing nothing.

Well dont be too sure ... I gambled a bit in my life and after all this time I realise theres no such thing as a cert. Regardless of what you think, theres a REDTIDE begining to swell over this country. A country that has been raped and assualted by FF traitors and blueshirt appeasers who wait in readiness to continue the rape. Maybe the tide wont be strong enough at this election, but over the next 2 or 3 elections it will swamp the traitors and the appeasers. I cant see the next government lasting more than 18 to 24 months and after that the next few governments will go the same way..ADVANCE ADVANCE BROTHERS.VICTORY IS CLOSE AT HAND >>> !!!!!

Wake up and look around you,what do you see"Desolation Row"this little country of ours has been turned into a wasteland by the greed of Bankers,Builders,and Speculators.Capitalism both nationally and worldwide is in decline.The right wing parties still subscribe to failed Capitalist policies that has only heaped mass misery,mass unemployment,mass emigration etc,upon ordinary people.Now these same right wing parties have and will continue to force ordinary people to pay for the gambling debts of the so- called business community.There is no difference in the Thacherite Policies of the Blueshirts/Labour alliance and the MaFFia Party.I believe in calling a spade a spade as regards the Blueshirts,they maybe dressed up in spiv suits with smiling faces,but their Corporate State style policies mirror their crypto Fascist origins.

Wake up and look around you,what do you see"Desolation Row"this little country of ours has been turned into a wasteland by the greed of Bankers,Builders,and Speculators.Capitalism both nationally and worldwide is in decline.The right wing parties still subscribe to failed Capitalist policies that has only heaped mass misery,mass unemployment,mass emigration etc,upon ordinary people.Now these same right wing parties have and will continue to force ordinary people to pay for the gambling debts of the so- called business community.There is no difference in the Thacherite Policies of the Blueshirts/Labour alliance and the MaFFia Party.I believe in calling a spade a spade as regards the Blueshirts,they maybe dressed up in spiv suits with smiling faces,but their Corporate State style policies mirror their crypto Fascist origins.

how terribly amusing and naive.

how terribly amusing and naive.[/QUOTE

The FF click have been laughing at us for years.... Dont see them laughing now... The world turns remember that..

• Advertisement

how terribly amusing and naive.

I don't find it one bit amusing that over a million people are living in poverty,a health service in crisis,hundreds of thousands struggling to pay mortages.While the government continues to pump billions into Zombie Banks.Shame on them for not jailing the gangsters who caused this devastation.Ah but were they not the same guys who frequented the Galway Tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Howdy. Can we please try and keep this thread relevent to whats happening in our own constituency. If you wish to discuss the election at a national level please use the politics boards.

Thanking you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Live debate in Leitrim with the main candidates on the 15th Feb run by Leitrim Claiming Our Future, so between the two debates there is a good chance for people to get their voices heard. Starts 7.30 sharp. Pls Spread the Word.

http://www.claimingourfuture.ie/local-county-posts/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

proon4 wrote: »
    As usual theres a rift between left-wing candidates. Personalities seems to take over among the left, whenever it comes to elections. Bree might pull a fair size vote but I cant see him getting enough to be there for the last seat. Colreavy might just be the one to beat the Mc Sharry revisonist. .Hes an affable enough type of fellow and has no real enemies,unlike the other left-wing candidates. Nice guy to have a pint in a pub with, But Colreavy is a light weight who let us not forget in the hey day of the celtic tiger was one of the councillors who voted to sell a valuable piece of property at the time in Manorhamilton for 1 euro to a speculator. The speculator sold it on later for 200,000 euros. He has been protected from the real world most of his life by some cushy positions in the HSE and the health Board before that, as has most of his family and their families. No I think Bree would make the far better and more aggressive TD, and it would give him a chance to redeem himself from the rather meek showing he put up when he was last in the dail.
    Colreavy is a light weight who let us not forget in the hey day of the celtic tiger was one of the councillors who voted to sell a valuable piece of property at the time in Manorhamilton for 1 euro to a speculator. The speculator sold it on later for 200,000 euros

In fairness, this is a common Sinn Féin approach. Seán MacManus recently voted to change the new County Plan to benefit speculators.
    Would Fianna Fáil Nua be a better title?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Paddypower is showing the two FGers and the big dinner and the prince of darkness getting in! Can't believe two fine failures could get in after all that's happened, must be a lot of money on them at those odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

promethius wrote: »
    Paddypower is showing the two FGers and the big dinner and the prince of darkness getting in! Can't believe two fine failures could get in after all that's happened, must be a lot of money on them at those odds.

OK, I'm making assumptions here, because I don't know for sure who you're referring to, but I think that translates as Perry and McLoughlin for the two FGers, and then big dinner = Eamon Scanlon and the prince of darkness = Marc MacSharry. Is that right?

If that's the case, I think you should check the Paddy Power poll again. Sligo/North-Leitrim is a 3-seat constituency, so all four of the above candidates can't get in.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (it's been known to happen :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Does anyone know where and when the Fine Gael public rally is in Sligo tonight, would be interesting the hear what Enda and candiadates has to say.

Fine Gael website not displaying for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

irish-stew wrote: »
    Does anyone know where and when the Fine Gael public rally is in Sligo tonight, would be interesting the hear what Enda and candiadates has to say.

I *think* I heard on radio this am (Ray D'Arcy had Vincent Browne on and they talked about it) that it's in the Bush Hotel in Carrick-on-Shannon. It was just the radio on in the background in work, so can't be sure that's what I heard.

irish-stew wrote: »

Yes it's in the Bush Hotel, Carrick on Shannon at 8 I think.. but not 100% sure about the time...I hope he is asked about returning the Cancer services back to Sligo General Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

well at least this chap made it interesting.

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0208/media-2902571.html#

yeah, yeah....

Typical local issues arising though, T90 test etc. Are there not enough houses in Leitrim already? Can't see how a few locals building new houses will solve the employment crisis.

I thought that this election was going to be fought on the really important national issues :rolleyes:

And what the fcuk was yer man on about Sarckozy & Carla???:confused:

I also hear that Kenny flew into the hospital today by helicopter, then left by car, without evening pausing at the student nurse's protest.

Shows how much he cares about them anyway.

• Advertisement

4 into 3 doesn't go as a I read your post. Its 2 FGs and sweaty pants time for the 3rd seat, probably for FF, - it will be some pick for his front bench if his tourism spokesperson fails to win a seat having been appointed to the shadow cabinet without ever having been elected a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

4 into 3 doesn't go as a I read your post. Its 2 FGs and sweaty pants time for the 3rd seat, probably for FF, - it will be some pick for his front bench if his tourism spokesperson fails to win a seat having been appointed to the shadow cabinet without ever having been elected a TD.

Yeah don't know where i got that extra place from!
    How can we return any fine failures after what they did to the cancer services in the hospital i though they would be wiped out this time. What would it take, treason, no wait....

This is my buddy putting it to Inda in Sligo the other day, Mayo stylee...

http://www.tv3.ie/news.php?video=32248&locID=1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Yeah don't know where i got that extra place from!
    How can we return any fine failures after what they did to the cancer services in the hospital i though they would be wiped out this time. What would it take, treason, no wait....

Did anyone hear John Perry bumbling his way through a press release on ocean fm this morning -- it was truly dreadful.

This issue alone could be the downfall of FG in S/north L.

What are the main issues? locally? All the prospective candidates are keeping very quite.

Jobs -- lack of, no strategy -- I always felt that when the Celtic Tiger would die (was predicting it in 2005 -- with attendant property crash) but the delusional couldn't countenance same, that Sligo wouldn't really suffer as bad as other localities, because we simply didn't get the jobs that were allocated to other areas, Galway in particular hoovering up jobs, announcement after annoucement. Similarly, the lack of housing development in Sligo, and crazy schemes out in Coolaney particularly acted as a countervailing depressing factor on the prices.

I am really finding it impossible to decide who to vote for . Nobody has grabbed the agenda or set the pace.

Maybe none have the ability, vision or charisma.

Ok. I can understand why you wouldn't vote for Perry -skin crawls- and also Tony, Susan, Veronica, Marc -again- , Eamon :rolleyes: and maybe Micheal, some people just don't vote SF, but anyway...

Why not Declan Bree I ask you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Do'nt think he has a snowballs chance after Veronica Cawley entered the fray. She'll split his Sligo town vote big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Pete M. wrote: »
    Ok. I can understand why you wouldn't vote for Perry -skin crawls- and also Tony, Susan, Veronica, Marc -again- , Eamon :rolleyes: and maybe Micheal, some people just don't vote SF, but anyway...

Why not Declan Bree I ask you?

all that is important about bree is where his transfers go - a pessimist with no alternatives - not an option for those trying to improve our county and country - he will never reenter dail eireann as an elected representative.

Sligored wrote: »
    all that is important about bree is where his transfers go - a pessimist with no alternatives - not an option for those trying to improve our county and country - he will never reenter dail eireann as an elected representative.

I don't know. He offers alternatives to most of the main parties policies.
    And you can't tell at this stage whether he will be a TD again.
    Depending on how it goes, even the poll above would give him a chance.

I think your critique of him and his policies is, well, not true.
    But of course that's just my view.

Of course he is an option for those who would like to see this Country (and County) turn around.

I think he will pull a greater vote than Veronica and a lot of her transfers could go to him.

Wouldn't write off his chances yet.

Sligored wrote: »

Declan Bree on the contrary is the only candidate offering an alternative to the right wing neococ consensus which has bankrupted this country.The MaFFia Party has surrendered our National Sovernighty and Economic Independence to the IMF/EU Bailout.Declan who will Be announcing officially that he is joining the United Left Alliance tomorrow,the ULA are expected to form the Socialist Opposition in the next Dail, to the right wing Blueshirt/Labour Government who are set to maintain the slash and burn policies of ZanuFF.Declan I can assure you has along with the ULA a tremendous raft of policies ie Burning the Bondholder's,Using Ireland's oil and gas resources for the benefit of the Irish people(current value €440 Billion),He has policies which demand an immediate reversal of the cutback's in wages and Social welfare cut's,he along with the ULA want a massive job creation programme based on Irish Indigenous industry,a fair tax system that will tax the estimated €121Billion of wealth owned by Irish millionaire,s.Most importantly he want's the Cancer service,s restored to SGH and unlike MaFFia,Blueshirt and New Labour politican's he is guaranteed to keep his word.

• Advertisement

I had a visit at my door 2 days ago by a FF election candidate. I couldnt believe his arrogance , and his denial that his party done any wrong while they were in government for the last 15 years or so... I told him to go away from my door ,and not only to go away, but to reflect on what he was saying to me..
    The next evening his father, an ex minister and a "doyen" of the FF party arrived around our street again . He called at my door, smiling in a nice crombie and shining shoes. He proceeded to tell me why his son would be a great asset to his party and also to the people of this area.. I couldnt believe it. What are these guys on. If they could bottle it they could sell it and probably would get us out of the dire financial state this country is in. I was about to lose it, but I held back and I asked him would he listen to me for 2 or 3 minutes. I gave him this anology.
    " Imagine" I said "that you employed me to take care of your house, your finances, and the well been of your life and your familys life. For some years I seemed to be doing ok. But it was all a cloak. In reality" I said " i was lying to you, I was squandering your money, I was destroying you, and your familys future. I was looking after myself big time and was in fact using your money to set myself up financially for life. After a few years the truth came out and you found out what really was going on. You were destroyed, completly broke. Your house and assets were now owned by a German gambler. You were up to your eyes in debt, and not only you but your children and in the future their children. After all this has sunk in, your devestated. But now I show what a brass neck I really have, I come back to you and say, look have you anything left.if so give me the job again and this time I will really look after youi. Ill have you up and running in no time Youll be back where you were 5 years ago. trust me. Would I lie to you ? Oh and by the way, I want the same salary and expenses as I was getting.."
    This I said to the FF ex minister is what your party is saying to us, this is what they want us to believe again. now I said get away from this door ,and if you had any decency you and your son would be asking the people for forgivness and not trying the same old bluffs and lies again... He left. ...quietly I have to say.
    user_online.gifreport.gif

Advertisement