Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

@proon4

It amazes me too that they have the neck to ask for another go.

These guys do not have a fcuking clue how the rest of us live and how we have been affected.

And they don't really care either.

Never have and never will.

I wish that I would have the same patience with them when they came to my door, but I think that I would just refuse to speak to them at all.

I'm a great believer in free speech and all that jazz, but I've had enough of their weasel words.

They think that they are a different class of people and I suppose you could say that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Apologies I'm joining the thread so late,didn't think I could vote but registered on the supplementary regitrar.
    Haven't heard much from the candidates really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Excellent analogy, proon4. That should be a mantra that is repeated to them at every house they call at. Arrogant b****rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

This is not a reflection of my preference but what I believe will be voted in...#

1st John Perry: 2nd: Tony McLoughlin. 3rd - Death Battle between Marc McSharry: Colreavy and Susan O'Keefe....

Sounds crazy but this is how I call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ggilgunn

This is not a reflection of my preference but what I believe will be voted in...#

1st John Perry: 2nd: Tony McLoughlin. 3rd - Death Battle between Marc McSharry: Colreavy and Susan O'Keefe....

Sounds crazy but this is how I call it.
    Also far from my preference but I believe 1st John Perry 2nd Marc McSharry and 3rd battle between Tony McLoughlin, Michael Colreavy and Declan Bree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

ggilgunn wrote: »
    Also far from my preference but I believe 1st John Perry 2nd Marc McSharry and 3rd battle between Tony McLoughlin, Michael Colreavy and Declan Bree

1st John Perry 2nd Marc McSharry and 3rd susan o keefe. Hope i am wrong with number 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Don't think O'Keefe has a hope to be honest. Bree will outpoll her.
    Perry to top the poll, Mc Sharry, Colreavy and Mc Loughlin to fight it out for the other two, Bee with an outside chance but unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

How on earth could anyone vote in McLaughlin after voting against cancer services in Sligo town?
    Declan Bree and Marc McSharry I'd like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ned Green

:D:):mad::cool::P;)
    proon4 wrote: »
    I had a visit at my door 2 days ago by a FF election candidate. I couldnt believe his arrogance , and his denial that his party done any wrong while they were in government for the last 15 years or so... I told him to go away from my door ,and not only to go away, but to reflect on what he was saying to me..
    The next evening his father, an ex minister and a "doyen" of the FF party arrived around our street again . He called at my door, smiling in a nice crombie and shining shoes. He proceeded to tell me why his son would be a great asset to his party and also to the people of this area.. I couldnt believe it. What are these guys on. If they could bottle it they could sell it and probably would get us out of the dire financial state this country is in. I was about to lose it, but I held back and I asked him would he listen to me for 2 or 3 minutes. I gave him this anology.
    " Imagine" I said "that you employed me to take care of your house, your finances, and the well been of your life and your familys life. For some years I seemed to be doing ok. But it was all a cloak. In reality" I said " i was lying to you, I was squandering your money, I was destroying you, and your familys future. I was looking after myself big time and was in fact using your money to set myself up financially for life. After a few years the truth came out and you found out what really was going on. You were destroyed, completly broke. Your house and assets were now owned by a German gambler. You were up to your eyes in debt, and not only you but your children and in the future their children. After all this has sunk in, your devestated. But now I show what a brass neck I really have, I come back to you and say, look have you anything left.if so give me the job again and this time I will really look after youi. Ill have you up and running in no time Youll be back where you were 5 years ago. trust me. Would I lie to you ? Oh and by the way, I want the same salary and expenses as I was getting.."
    This I said to the FF ex minister is what your party is saying to us, this is what they want us to believe again. now I said get away from this door ,and if you had any decency you and your son would be asking the people for forgivness and not trying the same old bluffs and lies again... He left. ...quietly I have to say.
    user_online.gifreport.gif

Just had representatives from Eamonn Scanlon at the door driving a top of the range Merc.

Enough said I think.

• Advertisement

2 canvassers for Marc McSharry just called. I was washing the car at the side of the house and they ignored me. Neither local to the area. Wife said nobody rang the bell but the literature was thrown in the letterbox when I checked. Must have been afraid, and rightly so, as we have already had the nightmare trip to Galway.

It's Official. Declan Bree is now part of the United Left Alliance.
    Sligo/North Leitrim Independent candidate Cllr Declan Bree, has agreed to link up with an alliance of other Independent candidates who are pledged to oppose the government’s austerity measures. The United Left Alliance is composed of independents and groups who are pressing for the reversal of the cutbacks in wages and social welfare and who are opposed to the bailout of the banks and developers.

Among those involved in the Alliance are Cllr Richard Boyd Barrett, MEP Joe Higgins, Cllr Joan Collins, and the former Tipperary TD Cllr Seamus Healy.

Endorsing Cllr Bree’s bid for a Dail seat in the Sligo/North Leitrim constituency Mr Joe Higgins said: " Considering that all the mainstream parties are determined to make ordinary people pay for the reckless gambling of private banks, we need people with integrity in the Dáil who are willing to stand up for the Irish people and who will place the blame for this crisis where it belongs. It is essential that people like Declan Bree are elected to the Dáil so we can work together in the fight to reverse the savage cuts in wages and social welfare imposed by Fianna Fail.”

Cllr Bree explained the importance of independents coming together to form an effective opposition to plans to make Irish taxpayers pay for the debts of banks and bondholders. He said " I am running as an independent because I believe that the mainstream parties are all the same. They all want to make ordinary people pay for the reckless gambling of private banks and bondholders with even further cuts in wages and social welfare.

“If elected I plan to work with people like Joe Higgins and Richard Boyd-Barrett and other independents, to provide an effective opposition to these austerity measures. I stand for the reversal of all the cuts to wages and social welfare. I believe that our natural resources, gas and oil, should be used for the benefit of the Irish people, and I say that it is time that the wealthy in this country paid their fair share.
    “Our alliance is committed to putting the interests of people first by ending the bank bailouts and reversing the savage cuts to pay, social welfare and public services. Instead we will invest in jobs, housing, health and education. We believe that those who caused this crisis should pay for it, not ordinary people.” said Cllr Bree.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

UrbanSea wrote: »
    How on earth could anyone vote in McLaughlin after voting against cancer services in Sligo town?
    Declan Bree and Marc McSharry I'd like to see.

at the outset of the campaign it looked like McLaughlin would be a shoe in ( served his time, waited in the wings, deserves a chance etc) but in the meantime there is a growing movement against him that has sprung up ..."no votes for turncoats" which is a backlash for his behaviour in relation to the eastern bridge vote at christmas.... looks like it could do significant damage to his vote count in the town and he may be drawn into a dogfight for a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

a Marc McSharry canvasser called to a door in sligo, the lady who answered was told she should vote for him as Marc was a very good looking guy, the literature photos didn't do him justice apparently! says a lot when they're reduced to xfactor style tactics!

red sean wrote: »
    2 canvassers for Marc McSharry just called. I was washing the car at the side of the house and they ignored me. Neither local to the area. Wife said nobody rang the bell but the literature was thrown in the letterbox when I checked. Must have been afraid, and rightly so, as we have already had the nightmare trip to Galway.

a trip we all tried to avert when we marched on the hosptial, i can't get my head round anyone voting any of the FineFailures back in again, have we forgotten what they have done to our town and county, to sligo, i hope things are going ok with the trips sean.
    You should never have had to make them.

Veronica Cawley addressed the crowd at the march, she spoke up for us but it fell on the deaf ears that have brought the country to its knees.

dardevle wrote: »
    at the outset of the campaign it looked like McLaughlin would be a shoe in ( served his time, waited in the wings, deserves a chance etc) but in the meantime there is a growing movement against him that has sprung up ..."no votes for turncoats" which is a backlash for his behaviour in relation to the eastern bridge vote at christmas.... looks like it could do significant damage to his vote count in the town and he may be drawn into a dogfight for a seat.

MrNiceGuy who for over thirty year's was the "Builder's Boy"on the council and Corpo assiduously looking after their interest's primarily.For ordinary people all they got from him was a BIG SMILE and a pat on the back for their loyal support.This week the veneer began to peel firstly with his betrayal of the MartinSavage/Doorly Park communitywhen he tore up His pledge,secondly during his walkout with Enda,when Enda dropped the bombshell that their would be NO CANCER CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE FOR SLIGO under a Blueshirt Led government.

Thanks promethius. All seems fine now. We live in hope. But as you say, trips that should never have to be taken, and decisions taken by people who must never be let forget the suffering caused by their actions.
    The ballot box is the only way the ordinary person can let them know how we feel. At the end of the day, we are their employers we and now have the opportunity to give them the sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Ned Green wrote: »
    MrNiceGuy who for over thirty year's was the "Builder's Boy"on the council and Corpo assiduously looking after their interest's primarily.For ordinary people all they got from him was a BIG SMILE and a pat on the back for their loyal support.This week the veneer began to peel firstly with his betrayal of the MartinSavage/Doorly Park communitywhen he tore up His pledge,secondly during his walkout with Enda,when Enda dropped the bombshell that their would be NO CANCER CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE FOR SLIGO under a Blueshirt Led government.
    grow up ffs this isnt the 20s and 30s again.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

OK, I know who I am NOT going to vote for but have absolutely no idea who I AM going to vote for. :(

So, can I ask, what has John Perry ever done for us? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Why, he brought fame to Ballymote by claiming higher expenses than any other TD in the country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

genie wrote: »
    OK, I know who I am NOT going to vote for but have absolutely no idea who I AM going to vote for. :(

So, can I ask, what has John Perry ever done for us? :confused:

What have the rest of the Candidates done for us?

Removal of the Eastern bridge, re-opening of O'Connell St. cancer services etc.......

The list goes on as to how Declan Bree (now part of the hippie alliance) and the Fianna Failure candidates screwed us over, either personally or by party.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Removal of the Eastern bridge, re-opening of O'Connell St. cancer services etc.......

The list goes on as to how Declan Bree (now part of the hippie alliance) and the Fianna Failure candidates screwed us over, either personally or by party.

I mentioned Perry because a lot of people are predicting he will top the poll and I couldn't think of one reason why he deserves my vote (or anyone else's!). I agree with you regarding all the other candidates, too, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

not in order of importance i hope Fingers,:o

the fact is that John Perry has done shag all as an elected representative, his supporters will say that you can't achieve much in opposition and that he has bided his time and deserves his chance for doing so ( maybe will even get front bench and won't that be great for south Sligo and the whest) and the circle becomes complete again - back to the parish pump and the planning permission that the grand TD got for me;)

♫ I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution
    Smile and grin at the change all around me
    Pick up my guitar and play
    Just like yesterday
    Then I'll get on my knees and pray
    We don't get fooled again
    Don't get fooled again
    No, no!♫

Having listenend to that debate, God help us if we send Tony Mc Loughlin to represent us in the Dail.

It's bad enough to have one waffler, Perry, without having 2

(now part of the hippie alliance)

I am a supporter of the United Left Alliance and I'm no hippie I'll have you know :cool:

Would rather support them than any of the others.

Just saw O Keefe, Colreavy and McSharry FF on the six one being interviewed by Brian Dobson. O Keefe came across quite well i'd not seen her speaking before, I kind of was a bit off on her as she is seen as a blow in but she spoke well on the issue of the cancer services in sligo general.

Does anyone know if the local papers have done any S-NL polls recently?

promethius wrote: »
    Just saw O Keefe, Colreavy and McSharry FF on the six one being interviewed by Brian Dobson. O Keefe came across quite well i'd not seen her speaking before, I kind of was a bit off on her as she is seen as a blow in but she spoke well on the issue of the cancer services in sligo general.

O'Keefe at this stage will promise anything hoping that Labour maybe part of the next FG led government.Labour will be at most junior partner's "IF" there is such an arrangement.Kenny will be the next Taoiseach and both he and Gilmore are fully signed up to the IMF/EU Bailout package which entails more cuts in service's,more taxe's on ordinary people etc.Kenny stated during his little walkabout in Sligo last week with Perry and McLoughlin that under FG there would be NO NINTH CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE FOR SLIGO.Unless Labour make's it a precondition of of them entering government,all the pledge's And Guarantee's from O'Keefe are just empty promise's.

The weekender have been carrying one out over the last couple of weeks.
    The results will be in next Tuesdays edition.

they are randomly stopping people in Sligo town, Grange, ballymote, Manorhamilton and Enniscrone.

They are not taking an age or gender demographic nor have they any plans to poll in the Dromahair electoral area at all even though it contains over 6,000 voters.

I would take the results with a pinch of salt.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    The weekender have been carrying one out over the last couple of weeks.
    The results will be in next Tuesdays edition.

they are randomly stopping people in Sligo town, Grange, ballymote, Manorhamilton and Enniscrone.

They are not taking an age or gender demographic nor have they any plans to poll in the Dromahair electoral area at all even though it contains over 6,000 voters.

I would take the results with a pinch of salt.

Thanks better than nothing i suppose, hard to get a real idea of the mood in the region. Wasn't the last poll in the weekender commissioned by labour or something unusual like that?

Were the save our cancer services group meant to run a candidate a while back? what ever came of that?

• Advertisement

Thanks better than nothing i suppose, hard to get a real idea of the mood in the region. Wasn't the last poll in the weekender commissioned by labour or something unusual like that?

Were the save our cancer services group meant to run a candidate a while back? what ever came of that?

The last poll was commissioned by Labour for themselves. they decided to release the results to the media and both papers ran with it.

They mentioned running candidates in the last local elections but it didn't happen.

Advertisement