Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo-North Leitrim Election 2011 Mod Warning #290

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Is it true that O'Keefe doesn't even live in Sligo? Heard she lives in Dublin and just has a holiday home in Collooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

promethius wrote: »
    Just saw O Keefe, Colreavy and McSharry FF on the six one being interviewed by Brian Dobson. O Keefe came across quite well i'd not seen her speaking before, I kind of was a bit off on her as she is seen as a blow in but she spoke well on the issue of the cancer services in sligo general.

Does anyone know if the local papers have done any S-NL polls recently?
    seen this to and god he sounded like a complete and utter idiot,if it wasnt for his fathers votes that hell get he wouldnt have a hope in hell getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Yeah came accross very arrogant, other things not helping him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Bump :D

This event is on tonight.

Could be very interesting.

Will post links to the recordings afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Go on Davy Smith you legend. One of the sharpest men in Ireland!

Initially, the unsuspecting presenter didn't fully realise that what he assumed to be a mild mannered consumer was in fact a raging subversive -- so politically subversive that he's willing to see the status quo destroy its fine self through the status quo. By the end of this opus, the presenter was a wonderful combination of baffled, beguiled and benighted.

Come the revolution Brother you'll be handing out your 'Von Chin' masterpieces from the Barricades, quoting Equality, Liberty and Fraternity with a post-Colonial neo-Marxist and anti-existential slant, wrapped up in MCR-centric wittisms.

What an interview. Smithy, I prostrate myself before your eternal truths!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Sligo/Leitrim Claiming our future debate last night in Manorhamiton. Good crowd turned up.

Very lively.
    Some Hot topics amongst others were

-Sligo General Cancer services,
    -Minimum wage, cuts and IMF very emotive topics.
    -Where candidates lay on selling off of our natural resources.
    -Changes to Freedom of Information and whistleblowers charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Henlars67 wrote: »
    The weekender have been carrying one out over the last couple of weeks.
    The results will be in next Tuesdays edition.

they are randomly stopping people in Sligo town, Grange, ballymote, Manorhamilton and Enniscrone.

They are not taking an age or gender demographic nor have they any plans to poll in the Dromahair electoral area at all even though it contains over 6,000 voters.

I would take the results with a pinch of salt.

What, you mean the same disgrace for a rag that calls itself a newspaper? The one with journalists who couldn't be bothered to get off their arses and do any kind of journalistic work, so instead they post on facebook fishing for information.

That one you mean?

I'm not surprised that they're doing this half arsed too.

See below: They're a disgrace.

Weekender.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Priceless :D and yet he may indeed have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ned Green

Priceless :D and yet he may indeed have a point.

Which of the MaFFia candidates is Smithy giving his No1 too.Is it HRH The Prince of Darkness or Eamonn"Gombeen"Scanlon.According to the latest opinion poll's it appear's The Soldier's of Destruction are in total meltdown.The Blueshirt's appear however to be on course to complete the job for them.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone at the big ticket, or is it still going on, left just after 10pm my self.

It has changed my preference slightly, but it did harden my thoughts that politicians are very good at avoiding the question, there was more argueing that actual answers and concrete proposals given.

irish-stew wrote: »
    It has changed my preference slightly, but it did harden my thoughts that politicians are very good at avoiding the question, there was more argueing that actual answers and concrete proposals given.

Watch the news or listen to the radio for that tbh. Plenty of squabbling and question dodging by them all.

Watch the news or listen to the radio for that tbh. Plenty of squabbling and question dodging by them all.

Was there anything original stated by anyone?

One new productive idea?

What was Fine Gael's position on Cancer.

Did Merc give an apology about FF's abysmal Health Policy in Sligo?

PS - Dave Smith for President -- All Night Party:D

What, you mean the same disgrace for a rag that calls itself a newspaper? The one with journalists who couldn't be bothered to get off their arses and do any kind of journalistic work, so instead they post on facebook fishing for information.

That one you mean?

I'm not surprised that they're doing this half arsed too.

See below: They're a disgrace.

Weekender.jpg

Sky news, bbc etc often have banners running on their shows asking people to get in touch with their videos, reports etc. Not exactly the best paper ever produced but having dealt with them for sports reports for clubs etc they are a decent bunch. Bit harsh imo.

HRH's crowd came to the door last night, told them politely they'd ruined the country and there was no chance of a vote from anyone in the house and good night. Certainly didn't look like it was the first time they'd got that!

Heard there was a thing on national radio today, Ray himself no less was invited into someones house while canvassing, he then got thick with them accusing them of wasting his time and trying to prevent him canvassing other houses, the arrogance is unbelievable.

promethius wrote: »
    HRH's crowd came to the door last night, told them politely they'd ruined the country and there was no chance of a vote from anyone in the house and good night. Certainly didn't look like it was the first time they'd got that!

Heard there was a thing on national radio today, Ray himself no less was invited into someones house while canvassing, he then got thick with them accusing them of wasting his time and trying to prevent him canvassing other houses, the arrogance is unbelievable.

I heard this as well, but I thought it was one of the canvassers who were invited in.

:confused:

irish-stew wrote: »
    I heard this as well, but I thought it was one of the canvassers who were invited in.

:confused:

Yeah it prob was, i heard about it rather than heard the actual thing on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

Anybody make it there last night, I was quite interested but forgot all about it. was there a good turn out? Did anyone have anything interesting to say?

Yip, I was there.

Pretty good turnout, couple of hundred there I reckon.

Well run despite this being the first time anything like this has been attempted.
    All 13 candidates got a chance to speak and to respond to questions.

The video will be available on http://www.thebigticket.ie soon.

Fair play to the organisers.

I reckon this will prove very helpful to those who may not have seen the candidates in the flesh before.

I won't rate their performances as I would be biased :cool:

On the radio, it was Ray who was canvassing for Marc and he got thick.

• Advertisement

Did Merc give an apology about FF's abysmal Health Policy in Sligo?

Ha! Funny.
    That 'man' was doing no apologising at the Big Ticket last night.
    Reckoned he was the one who started off the SOCS campaign and that he is the man to sort everything out :rolleyes:

He was really aggressive throughout and made many references to his slogan 'a new approach'.

Wonder if that involves coming from behind?

Imagine that shower thinking that they deserve another chance?
    Maybe our Sligo anarchist is right though.

Although I'd say the country will go down the tubes even faster with a FG Majority government.

Even if there was a god, he couldn't help us now....

jazyguy wrote: »
    Anybody make it there last night, I was quite interested but forgot all about it. was there a good turn out? Did anyone have anything interesting to say?

I was there my self till after 10, and it was still going at that point, went on till around 11 looking at the twitter updates. It did change my preferences slightly, but left with a headache to be honest, more arguement than actual answers.

It wasn't a bad turn out, more than 3/4 full, was represented by the 'save cancers services group', the 'students union', 'sligo airport' and one of the sides in the 'eastern bridge project.

Started of with each candidate giving a 3 minute speach, followed by a debate amonsgt the candidates. Then followed by each of the above groups addressing the candidates, may have been other groups but left during the third address. The plan after that was questions from the public.

As well as the webcam cameras, norwegian tv was also there, i'd say europe are watching us very closely.

He got thick?

Thought he was anyway :pac::pac:

Pete M. wrote: »
    He got thick?

Thought he was anyway :pac::pac:

Thick-er than usual then. ;)

What Radio show? Is it on podcast?

Thick-er than usual then. ;)

I think he's got some non election stuff on his mind maybe that's why he's on a short fuse ;)

Kind of like Sligo's answer to Silvo Burlesconi, but more fertile......

Builders to end up in social housing'
    30 August 2009

'Builders to end up in social housing'

One of the country's most influential political figures, Ray MacSharry, has dramatically intervened in the banking debate to declare that Nama will not save "fat cat" builders and developers and some of them could even end up in social housing.

"This is not about saving the banks or builders, they're gone, they've taken the hit," said Mr MacSharry, the former Finance Minister credited with turning around the public finances during his term in government.

"They have personal guarantees that will be pursued to the end, many builders and developers will lose all. Somebody even said to me a week ago that there will be builders looking for social housing before we are a year older -- how is Nama saving them?"

The former EU Commissioner has largely stayed out of internal political debate since leaving office but his comments come at a critical time as the Government makes a major push to win public support for the new property agency which will take over €90bn worth of property loans from banks, the details of which will be revealed in the Dail on September 16.

Interview PAGE 20 ANALYSIS PAGES 22 AND 23

Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan told the Sunday Independent yesterday that nationalising the banks would be a €4bn 'bail out' for shareholders of the State's two biggest banks.

"Both Allied Irish and Bank of Ireland are valued currently at about €2bn. The State investment in the banks has already seen a return to the taxpayer to the tune of about €1bn.

"But, it's hard to see how the State could deal with the up-front cost associated with nationalisation, having to pay the shareholders €4bn to assume control (and at the same time) the Government would have to inject further capital to improve their liquidity positions," Mr Lenihan said.

Both Mr Lenihan and Mr MacSharry believe that the State will end up with a major stake in both major banks anyway.

"The objective is to ensure the lending needs of the real economy are met. A commercially focused banking system which includes banks having a market presence and operating within market disciplines and constraints is best equipped to achieve this aim," Mr Lenihan said.

He added: "Were you to nationalise the banks, you would have to do with them what we did with Anglo Irish Bank, that is, nationalise the entire bank. There are a number of difficulties in doing that.

"The key difficulty is we have to fund those nationalised banks on the international markets. But by and large the international markets don't fund nationalised banks. Lines of credit would disappear overnight."

He revealed that since Anglo Irish Bank was nationalised, getting finance has been "incredibly difficult".

Meanwhile, Mr MacSharry also said that the Government needs to press ahead with tackling the public finances :eek:-- and that includes cuts in health and social welfare.:D

"If they can't get cuts of €400m out of €16bn in health they shouldn't be there," he said.:eek:

He also said he was "quite positive" that there would be cuts in social welfare -- but while he approves of taxing children's allowances he does not agree with cutting the old age pension or the dole.:D

"There will have to be something done on children's allowances the same as what has to be done for the medical card for over 70s who have income of €70,000/€80,000 a year. We just can't sustain that sort of support for people on those incomes.":p

He also said the Government could balance such cuts with a 60/65 per cent tax on high earners.

"What we have to do now is keep our housekeeping right with the public finances and be ready for the lift up and make no mistake about it, it will come fairly quickly for the rest of the world over the next 18 months, but it might take us a bit longer.

"But it will take us a lot longer if we're not ready, if we don't have Nama and we don't have liquidity in the banks."

Sunday Independent

This coming from a Man who was a Director on the Bank of Ireland during the height of the Celtic Tiger property bubble, his daughter is still a Director with Bank of Ireland, another son was middle management with Anglo and another son along with Ray the developers behind the failed Hazlewood House scheme.

Dealing with proles on the door must be such a hassle!

Video of all candidates available now at http://www.thebigticket.ie

• Advertisement

...and another son...

Merc

Advertisement