Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bible science parallels

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Festus wrote: »
    Lets try this a different way.

The supposition is that the quotation in Hebrews, paraphrased as " the earth, the stars and all inanimate things will perish and fade away over time" could be thought of as a conceptualisation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics which can be stated as an expression of the finding that over time, differences in temperature, pressure, and chemical potential tend to equilibrate in an isolated physical system and this law deduced the principle of the increase of entropy and explains the phenomenon of irreversibility in nature.

And the following could be thought of as a conceptualisation of big-bang cosmology.

"And it is We Who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We Who are steadily expanding it." --Qur'an 51:47

Anything can be thought of as a conceptualisation of anything if you are willing to contrive the conceptualisation.
    Taking the Universe as an isolated physical system show or prove that the biblical statement in Hebrews 1:10-11 that all inanimate things perish is in no way related conceptually or otherwise to the provisions of the Second law of Thermodynamics and can in no way be determined to be an early description of the concept that according to the second law of thermodynamics the entropy of any isolated system, such as the entire universe, never decreases and that if the entropy of the universe has a maximum upper bound then when this bound is reached the universe has no thermodynamic free energy to sustain motion or life.

I can't parse this paragraph.

ISAW wrote: »
    What ...nothing about there being an order to the universe? i would have thought the Bible was all about that?

I did not say anything about order to the universe. I said the maximising of entropy is not mentioned in the Bible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Morbert wrote: »
    And the following could be thought of as a conceptualisation of big-bang cosmology.

"And it is We Who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We Who are steadily expanding it." --Qur'an 51:47

Wrong forum. maybe one of our islamic friends would like to entertain you in this matter on the relevant forum.

I can't parse this paragraph.

Cop out

Wrong forum. maybe one of our islamic friends would like to entertain you in this matter on the relevant forum.

It is not the wrong forum. It was an example illustrating a point you omitted when you were quoting me (the line in blue).
    Morbert wrote:

Anything can be thought of as a conceptualisation of anything if you are willing to contrive the conceptualisation.

Did you deliberately or accidentally omit the line in blue?
    Cop out

I cannot understand what you mean by the bits in blue. Please be clearer in what you are asking me to do, and why you are asking me to do it.
    Taking the Universe as an isolated physical system show or prove that the biblical statement in Hebrews 1:10-11 that all inanimate things perish is in no way related conceptually or otherwise to the provisions of the Second law of Thermodynamics and can in no way be determined to be an early description of the concept that according to the second law of thermodynamics the entropy of any isolated system, such as the entire universe, never decreases and that if the entropy of the universe has a maximum upper bound then when this bound is reached the universe has no thermodynamic free energy to sustain motion or life.

I cannot understand what you mean by the bits in blue. Please be clearer in what you are asking me to do, and why you are asking me to do it.

I'm not asking you to do anything. I put the idea up as a thread and you volunteered your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Oh you "told" me. Well, I told you and will tell you again, we are discussing what is said in Hebrews and not Peter, not as predictive, not as faith and morals, but as a statement that poetically describes the concept of the second law of thermodynamics.

It doesn't describe the second law of thermodynamics. it describes the heavens and earth perishing, which can happen in any number of ways (which Peter expands upon)

If the Bible is real and is actually prophecising how the world was end you cannot simply pick one bit of it in isolation and assume it is relating to one scientific theory when that interpretation is contradicted in other places.
    I'm sure that you can find many contradictions in the Bible if you want to. What does that prove? That you read a lot of Islamic or atheist websites?

There is no contradiction here other than the one you are making. Your interpretation that Hebrews "perish" means slow heat death of the universe contradicts Peter's description of it being fire from God.
    Not discussing Peter. Not discussing Acts of God.
    Do you believe Hebrews is the inspired Word of God but Peter isn't?
    Discussing Hebrews where a natural law is described
    There is no natural law described in Hebrews.

What is described is that all things will perish. You assume for no particular reason that this refers to the heat death of the universe despite this contradicting what is said in Peter.
    and what effect it will have "the stars will perish like old garments"
    No where in the bible does it say "the stars will perish like old garments."

It says the heavens and earth will wear out like a garment, a metaphor that can mean any number of things, from physically wearing out and getting old, to sin corrupting. The Bible does not say things will perish because they wear out, it says God will do this, which is inline with the actions of God described in Peter.
    Ah, so you are saying that because there will be no scientists around to "observe" a star finally reaching maximum entropy the second law of theormodynamics is wrong.

No, I'm saying since there will be no people around to hear the roar of the Sun exploding you relating the heavens will disappear in a roar to the natural phenomena of the Sun blowing away our atmosphere is silly clutching at straws.

Wicknight wrote: »
    It doesn't describe the second law of thermodynamics. it describes the heavens and earth perishing, which can happen in any number of ways (which Peter expands upon)

It says that stars perish or decay, if you will, over time. Would you care to dispute that assessment?
    If the Bible is real and is actually prophecising how the world was end you cannot simply pick one bit of it in isolation and assume it is relating to one scientific theory when that interpretation is contradicted in other places.

I'm not here for a discussion on eschatology.

There is no contradiction here other than the one you are making. Your interpretation that Hebrews "perish" means slow heat death of the universe contradicts Peter's description of it being fire from God.

We're discussion Hebrews. Not Peter.
    Do you believe Hebrews is the inspired Word of God but Peter isn't?

They both are.
    There is no natural law described in Hebrews.

Yes there is. The Second Law of Thermodynamics
    What is described is that all things will perish.

persish, decay, fade away like an old garment. Do old garments not abide by the second law of thermodynamics?
    You assume for no particular reason that this refers to the heat death of the universe despite this contradicting what is said in Peter.

I did not assume but rather asserted for a very particular reason.
    No where in the bible does it say "the stars will perish like old garments."

That's me paraphrasing the quotation from Hebrews. I would prefer a biblical scholar in good standing to correct me if I am wrong.
    It says the heavens and earth will wear out like a garment, a metaphor that can mean any number of things, from physically wearing out and getting old,

in obeyance of the second law of thermodynamics
    to sin corrupting.

to sin one must be a human being. neither a star nor a planet are human, therefore have no soul, therefore cannot sin or be corrupted by sin.
    The Bible does not say things will perish because they wear out, it says God will do this, which is inline with the actions of God described in Peter.

Where in Hebrews does it say that God will cause the heavens to perish like an old garment?

No, I'm saying since there will be no people around to hear the roar of the Sun exploding you relating the heavens will disappear in a roar to the natural phenomena of the Sun blowing away our atmosphere is silly clutching at straws.

I said a star. Not the sun. If I was refering to the sun I would have said so. Now who's clutching at straws? :p

It says that stars perish or decay, if you will, over time. Would you care to dispute that assessment?
    Yes. It never mentions stars (the people back then didn't know what stars were), nor does it say they will decay. It says the heavens will wear out like a garment and God will "roll them up"

Care to tell me which bit of the heat death of the universe corresponds to God rolling up the heavens? Or do you realize now that it is a metaphor.
    I'm not here for a discussion on eschatology.
    We're discussion Hebrews. Not Peter.
    They both are.
    Why are you then contradicting Peter with your interpretation?
    persish, decay, fade away like an old garment. Do old garments not abide by the second law of thermodynamics?
    Do you think anytime someone says something will wear out they are describing the 2nd law of thermodynamics?
    Where in Hebrews does it say that God will cause the heavens to perish like an old garment?

They will perish, but you remain;
    they will all wear out like a garment.
    12 You will roll them up like a robe;
    like a garment they will be changed
    But you remain the same,
    and your years will never end.
    I said a star. Not the sun. If I was refering to the sun I would have said so. Now who's clutching at straws? :p

How do we hear a star light years away exploding?

I'm starting to come to Morbet's conclusion, you don't understand any of the concepts you are talking about.

Yes. It never mentions stars (the people back then didn't know what stars were), nor does it say they will decay. It says the heavens will wear out like a garment

I think you will find they called them stars. They may not have know they were suns but they knew they gave off light. It is also presumable that they thought they would be permanent and unchanging.
    and God will "roll them up"

after they have decayed like an old garment.

Care to tell me which bit of the heat death of the universe corresponds to God rolling up the heavens? Or do you realize now that it is a metaphor.

At last you agree - hip hip hoorah. you added the rolling up the heavens and that occurs after entropy has maximised but yes what is described in Hebrews is conceptually what the second law of thermodynamics is and could indeed be though of as a methaphor for said law. I never said it wasn't a methophor.

Do you think anytime someone says something will wear out they are describing the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

if a star wears out what are they describing if not that the star is following the second law of thermodynamics?

I'm starting to come to Morbet's conclusion, you don't understand any of the concepts you are talking about.

So you are saying that the second law of thermodynamics does not mean that the energy in stars is irreversibly degraded over time. This is my understanding of it - that the second law of thermodynamics means that all the energy in stars is irreversibly given away to its surroundings over time and its entropy heads to its maximum. So if I don't understand that concept please explain what this law does mean and what it means for stars and the wider universe.

Festus, have you decided to ignore my post? Anything can be a conceptualisation if we are willing to contrive the conceptualisation. Snowhite could conceptualise the Higgs mechanism if we wanted it to. The Qur'an 51:47 could be a conceptualisation of Big-Bang cosmology if we wanted it to be. You are retroactively inferring the concept of entropy from the Bible. You could do the same with Dr. Seuss if you wanted to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrayvR3CknA

You started this thread by claiming science and the Bible are parallel. Retroactively inferring scientific theories from vague phrases like "perish" does not reveal parallels between science and the Bible. At best it reveals an 'orthogonality' between science and the Bible.

• Advertisement

Festus, have you decided to ignore my post? Anything can be a conceptualisation if we are willing to contrive the conceptualisation. Snowhite could conceptualise the Higgs mechanism if we wanted it to. The Qur'an 51:47 could be a conceptualisation of Big-Bang cosmology if we wanted it to be. You are retroactively inferring the concept of entropy from the Bible. You could do the same with Dr. Seuss if you wanted to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrayvR3CknA

You started this thread by claiming science and the Bible are parallel. Retroactively inferring scientific theories from vague phrases like "perish" does not reveal parallels between science and the Bible. At best it reveals an 'orthogonality' between science and the Bible.

For the moment I'm just sitting back watching you increase the entropy of this thread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Which is more scientific way of saying that over time all things tend towards chaos.
    Agreed. Then why didn't God put that in the bible? Instead of "they perish", which, to be honest, is pretty obvious. A child knows that.

I think you will find they called them stars. They may not have know they were suns but they knew they gave off light.

The heavens are repeatably referred in the Bible as a canopy stretched out over the Earth. They had no idea what the stars were, or that there was space up there.
    At last you agree - hip hip hoorah. you added the rolling up the heavens and that occurs after entropy has maximised

Explain to me how the heavens get rolled up after entropy has maximised?

You are taking ancient concepts of what the sky and heavens are and trying (in vain) to map some scientific theory onto it.

The Bible describes the sky as a garment that wears out and is then rolled up. It takes a peculiar stretch of the imagination to think that is describing the head death of the universe. It also contradicts other parts of the Bible which are you are ignoring.
    if a star wears out what are they describing if not that the star is following the second law of thermodynamics?

They don't say a star wears out. They say the heavens wear out and are rolled up because they thought of the sky as a canopy stretched over the Earth.
    So you are saying that the second law of thermodynamics does not mean that the energy in stars is irreversibly degraded over time.
    It does. Can you please point out the passage in the Bible that says the energy in a star is irreversibly degraded over time.

The heavens are repeatably referred in the Bible as a canopy stretched out over the Earth. They had no idea what the stars were, or that there was space up there.
    Genesis 15:5
    [5] And he brought him forth abroad, and said to him: Look up to heaven and number the stars, if thou canst. And he said to him: So shall thy seed be.
    Hmmm... no mention of a canopy there. Seems to be refering quite clearly to stars.

You are taking ancient concepts of what the sky and heavens are and trying (in vain) to map some scientific theory onto it.

On the contrary. You are taking some vain concept that the Bible contains no scientific truths and are mapping contrary secularist atheist ideology on to it.
    I am not mapping a scientific theory on to it - I am seeing God present concepts that were later formulated as scientific laws. God is there first. These are His Laws and he informed us of them in the Bible.
    The Bible describes the sky as a garment that wears out and is then rolled up. It takes a peculiar stretch of the imagination to think that is describing the head death of the universe. It also contradicts other parts of the Bible which are you are ignoring.

No, the Bible describes stars as perishing like an old garment in the same way that all things perish due to the second law of thermodynamics.
    Psalm 102:25-27 (King James Version)

25Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands.
    26They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed:
    27But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.

They don't say a star wears out. They say the heavens wear out and are rolled up because they thought of the sky as a canopy stretched over the Earth.

So what is the different between the stars and the heavens?You are imposing your opinion of how the ancients viewed the sky without fully understanding the Bible or the ancients. The heavens, which includes stars, wax old like a garment first, and then they are changed by God.
    It does. Can you please point out the passage in the Bible that says the energy in a star is irreversibly degraded over time.

I have but you just won't accept the concept that the second law of thermodynamics was presented first metaphorically in the Bible, and more than once.

Genesis 3 - for dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return.

The second law acting on human bodies. From conception the body is built, it grows over time and then if waxes old, dies and fades to dust irreversibly. Not even bones remain, only dust.

All things follow the second law of thermodynamics, even humans.

The Bible does not explain it or entropy it but it does make mention of its effect. It is fair to assume that humans would recognise that most things visible on earth rot and fade away, perishing like an old garment. What is not fair to assume is that humans had any concept that the mountains would perish like a garment, or the contents of the heavens - the moon, stars, planets - known then as wandering stars because they did not keep pace with the "fixed" stars.

In Psalms and Hebrews we have a statement that all things wax old like garments, persish like garments.
    We now know this process is due to the second law of thermodynamics and accept that all things in the universe will ultimately achieve maximum entropy.

If there is no link between the various statements that are based on the second law of thermodynamics - genesis from dust unto dust, Psalms and Hebrews - the stars will wax old and perish - what are they supposed to mean?

Wicknight et al. it appears you are living proof the Bible is true because your characters were predicted

"If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe if I tell you of heavenly things?" (John 3:12).

and also warned

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." Colossians 2:8

I have pointed out three passages where the second law of thermodynamics is presented as a concept using the metaphor that all things perish and fade away. That this is irreversible and takes time is understood.

Watch a garment perish. How long does it take?
    Try to reverse it. Can it be achieved?
    Try to bring a man back from dust to life.

All things. Not just visible tangible garments but all things except God, including the intangible and the seemingly infinite or what to Jews before Jesus would have thought to be infinite. Only now can we argue using science that the universe is finite and even then there are those who persist in arguing it being infinite or cyclical.

Can you prove that man turning to dust is not a function of the second law of thermodynamics?

Can you prove that man turning to dust is not a property of the second law of thermodynamics?

Can you prove that man turning to dust can in now way shape or form be a result of the second law of thermodynamics?

Can you prove the stars or the heavens perishing like an old garment is not a property of the second law of thermodynamics?

Can you prove that, and I paraphrase, the stars in the heavens will perish and wax old like an old garment is not a function of the second law of thermodynamics.

What are you afraid of Wicknight? Are you afraid that by conceding that the Bible contains concepts that we now formulate as scientific laws will cause your atheist misconceptions to collapse?
    Are you afraid that if you have to accept that the Bible contains a scientific truth, a truth that could not be explained then but only described metaphorically, but can be explained now and described scientifically, proves that there is something very special about the Bible?

AsBridgman says "There are almost as many formulations of the second law as there have been discussions of it".

So what if the formulations in the Bible are metaphorical, that does not negate them. It raises them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

I did not say anything about order to the universe. I said the maximising of entropy is not mentioned in the Bible.

Things tending to minimum order or maximum chaos?

didn't I post a link to "Why do things get in a muddle"?
    Order and chaos is what entropy is all about isn't it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69227125&postcount=80

There are more ways of being untidy than of being tidy.

I have pointed out three passages where the second law of thermodynamics is presented as a concept using the metaphor that all things perish and fade away.

Again that is like saying that the Bible saying a stone fell to the ground is presenting quantum gravity.

Saul realized that it was Samuel, and he fell to the ground before him.

Clearly the Bible is explaining String Theory here. Or perhaps the Bible is presenting the biological theories of how muscles work :rolleyes:

You cannot present a complex scientific theory by simply mentioning in ignorance a possible side effect of it with no indication of the actual theory. That is just silly.
    Only now can we argue using science that the universe is finite and even then there are those who persist in arguing it being infinite or cyclical.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics doesn't say the universe is finite.

The universe still exists, after the heat death of the universe. All the matter is still there, it is just cold.

The Bible on the other hand says God will destroy the universe with fire in a passage you are simply choosing to ignore.
    Can you prove that man turning to dust is not a function of the second law of thermodynamics?
    The 2nd law of thermodynamics is correct. That isn't the issue.

The issue is whether the Bible is presenting this by describing the heavens as a garment that will wear out and being rolled up (it is hard to write that sentence without bursting out laughing)

You have present no evidence to support this other than a vague notion that what the 2nd law of thermodynamics says about the transfer of heat could be interpreted as "wearing out"

And in fact this is contradicted by other parts of the Bible, parts you choose to ignore.
    What are you afraid of Wicknight? Are you afraid that by conceding that the Bible contains concepts that we now formulate as scientific laws will cause your atheist misconceptions to collapse?

No, since those who wrote the Bible observed the same things we observed, they see rocks crumble and string break. What they didn't know is why this happened and the Bible doesn't present any evidence to the contrary.

Again saying someone fell over does not demonstrate an understanding of quantum gravity. Saying something wears out does not demonstrate an understanding of entropy.

If it did then 5 year olds would understand entropy by simply know that throwing something on the ground will cause it so smash.

And you have shown no quotes demonstrating otherwise. In fact quite the opposite, you have presented quotes where these people consider the sky to be a garment that wears out like their garments and can be rolled up.

So my question to you is what are you afraid of? Why do you insist so strongly that the Bible is presenting advanced scientific concepts, particularly when the Bible in other places discusses the destruction of the heavens as an act of God?

Can you not believe in the Bible unless you can relate it to science some how?

So what is the different between the stars and the heavens?You are imposing your opinion of how the ancients viewed the sky without fully understanding the Bible or the ancients. The heavens, which includes stars, wax old like a garment first, and then they are changed by God.

That is because they thought it was a garment.
    The second law acting on human bodies. From conception the body is built, it grows over time and then if waxes old, dies and fades to dust irreversibly. Not even bones remain, only dust.

As I already explained bodies do not decay because of the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
    The Bible does not explain it or entropy it but it does make mention of its effect.

Of course it does, the effects have always been observable. That doesn't mean they were understood!
    It is fair to assume that humans would recognise that most things visible on earth rot and fade away, perishing like an old garment. What is not fair to assume is that humans had any concept that the mountains would perish like a garment, or the contents of the heavens - the moon, stars, planets - known then as wandering stars because they did not keep pace with the "fixed" stars.

Of course they did. They thought the sky was some sort of garment, why would they not assume that would wear just like the ones on their roofs?

They saw rocks wear down, why not assume that is what would happen to mountains?

There is nothing in the Bible that these people did not observe every day. There is no hint of understanding behind any of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

I've often been fascinated by the regularity with which science comes up with something that "mirrors" what we already know from the Bible

Take this article NS 2785

contrasted with

Anyone got any others?

What springs to mind is the manna provided for the Jews in the wilderness.

I don't have the time to research and provide a link now, but I remember seeing a documentary where scientists found something resembling what could have been manna, it was a very rare type of mushroom (fungi) that and only grew for a day.

• Advertisement

Again that is like saying that the Bible saying a stone fell to the ground is presenting quantum gravity.

Saul realized that it was Samuel, and he fell to the ground before him.

Clearly the Bible is explaining String Theory here. Or perhaps the Bible is presenting the biological theories of how muscles work :rolleyes:

No, it is saying Samuel fell to the ground before him
    You cannot present a complex scientific theory by simply mentioning in ignorance a possible side effect of it with no indication of the actual theory. That is just silly.

That comment is silly because that is not what I said or did. I presented a metaphor from the Bible for the effect of increasing entropy. WIth reference to the stars and heavens it was something not considered for some considerable time after the Bible was written.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics doesn't say the universe is finite.

The universe still exists, after the heat death of the universe. All the matter is still there, it is just cold.

The universe is finite in size. Science tells us this. So does the Bible.
    The Bible on the other hand says God will destroy the universe with fire in a passage you are simply choosing to ignore.

Not ignoring it but it is not relevant to the discussion. God will destroy it but if He chooses not to it will wax old and perish like an old garment. The only way to explain those words scientifically is with the second law of thermodynanics which can be present as all things give up whatever it is that maintains their order to become disordered. A new garment is ordered. A perished garment is disordered. It happens inexorably and irreversibly.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics is correct. That isn't the issue.

The issue is whether the Bible is presenting this by describing the heavens as a garment that will wear out

It does.
    You have present no evidence to support this other than a vague notion that what the 2nd law of thermodynamics says about the transfer of heat could be interpreted as "wearing out"

Is the wearing out of stars not due to heat transfernance?
    And in fact this is contradicted by other parts of the Bible, parts you choose to ignore.

I'm not ignoring them but they are not relevant to this discussion.

No, since those who wrote the Bible observed the same things we observed, they see rocks crumble and string break. What they didn't know is why this happened and the Bible doesn't present any evidence to the contrary.

What about mountains and stars. Did they see them crumble and break?
    Again saying someone fell over does not demonstrate an understanding of quantum gravity. Saying something wears out does not demonstrate an understanding of entropy.

Introduce quantum gravity to increase the entropy of the discussion. Very good. Argument irrelevent. A person fallong over feels the effects of gravity, not quantum gravity.
    If it did then 5 year olds would understand entropy by simply know that throwing something on the ground will cause it so smash.

No. The energy imparted by the child coupled with the changes in kenetic energy as the object hits the ground caused it to smash. That is not related to enery in a closed system with nothing acting on the object but time.
    And you have shown no quotes demonstrating otherwise. In fact quite the opposite, you have presented quotes where these people consider the sky to be a garment that wears out like their garments and can be rolled up.

I have presented no quotes to support anyone considering the sky to be a garment. That is your strawman.

So my question to you is what are you afraid of? Why do you insist so strongly that the Bible is presenting advanced scientific concepts, particularly when the Bible in other places discusses the destruction of the heavens as an act of God?

Because the Bible is the word of God and in the Bible God shows us the fundamental laws that operate in the universe He created.
    Can you not believe in the Bible unless you can relate it to science some how?

What I am saying is that it adds to it, not to my belief, but it adds to the whole experience when one can recognise what was hidden. This was pointed out in the Bible - there are things we could not understand them which we understand now. The fascinating thing is that they were in the Bible all along.
    Can you not see the beauty of it?

That is because they thought it was a garment.

Like a garment with holes pricked in it so the light from the other side can shone through is not the same as thinkingit was a garment.

As I already explained bodies do not decay because of the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Really. So the second law of thermodynamics does not describe that items will reach maximum entropy or in other words become disordered.

Of course it does, the effects have always been observable. That doesn't mean they were understood!

My point exactly! A little progress, not much but a step in the right direction. Except that they didn't see a star perish and therefore had an expectation that the stars were infinite.

Of course they did. They thought the sky was some sort of garment, why would they not assume that would wear just like the ones on their roofs?

sky as garment is your strawman. Why do you insist on calling these people flat earthers?
    They saw rocks wear down, why not assume that is what would happen to mountains?

Have you watched a rock wear down? How do you know that sat around watching rocks wear down. Did you find that in the Bible somewhere?
    There is nothing in the Bible that these people did not observe every day.

Stars wearing out is not an everyday observable. They didn't even have telescopes. You do know that don't you?
    There is no hint of understanding behind any of it.

Why should there be understanding? Constructing another strawman you are?

The concept is there. We know it was not understood then. That is the point.

In Job 26 Verse 7. "He stretched out the north over the empty space, and hangeth the earth upon nothing".

I think that puts to bed the notion that the Bible does not discuss the earth hanging in space, later verified scientifically.

The earth hangs in space. The Bible agrees and said so before any scientist did.

Time to kill another strawman.

Genesis 1
    "[14] And God said: Let there be lights made in the firmament of heaven, to divide the day and the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years: [15] To shine in the firmament of heaven, and to give light upon the earth. And it was so done."

This is the creation of the stars and planets. Lights in the night sky marking the seasons and passage of time.
    [16] And God made two great lights: a greater light to rule the day; and a lesser light to rule the night: and the stars. [17] And he set them in the firmament of heaven to shine upon the earth. [18] And to rule the day and the night, and to divide the light and the darkness. And God saw that it was good.

And now the sun and the moon. Not stars but greater providing much more light than stars. Note the mention of stars with no mention of canopies or garments.

It would appear then that if people thought the stars were garments they were not reading their Bibles.

What springs to mind is the manna provided for the Jews in the wilderness.

I don't have the time to research and provide a link now, but I remember seeing a documentary where scientists found something resembling what could have been manna, it was a very rare type of mushroom (fungi) that and only grew for a day.

This looks like a good source for info on manna

the scientific explanation is fascinating and we may yet find that there are circumstances when it becomes more abundant.

Time to kill another strawman.

Genesis 1

This is the creation of the stars and planets. Lights in the night sky marking the seasons and passage of time.

And?

"firmament" comes from the Hebrew word raki'a which is used as a solid dome. The ancients believed that the heavens were a dome over their head that contained "lights". They had no notion of stars in the sense of large gas giants.

And now the sun and the moon. Not stars but greater providing much more light than stars. Note the mention of stars with no mention of canopies or garments.

Gen 1
    6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

The ancients believed that there was water "above" the vault (dome) of the sky and this is where rain came from

Isaish 40:
    21 Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
    Has it not been told you from the beginning?
    Have you not understood since the earth was founded?
    22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
    and its people are like grasshoppers.
    He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
    and spreads them out like a tent to live in.
    It would appear then that if people thought the stars were garments they were not reading their Bibles.

I didn't say the people though the stars were garments, they thought the heavens were a garment. They thought the stars were "lights" placed in the dome of heaven by God for people to find their way.

In reality the ancients didn't have clue what the sky actually ways, which is why you get numerous metaphors trying to relate the sky to things they were familiar with.

• Advertisement

And?

"firmament" comes from the Hebrew word raki'a which is used as a solid dome. The ancients believed that the heavens were a dome over their head that contained "lights". They had no notion of stars in the sense of large gas giants.

And :confused:

If you do not know the difference between a star and a gas giant your point is null and void.

Gen 1
    6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

The ancients believed that there was water "above" the vault (dome) of the sky and this is where rain came from

Where does it say that (bolded) in the Bible ? The passage describes the the waters on the earth (seas and oceans), the waters in the skys (firmament or "dome", which is not in my translation - firmament is better) and the skys (firmament, "dome") above.
    Clouds are waters in the sky above, not the heavens above. Even the ancients knew that.
    We'll get on the the hydrological cycle later.
    Isaish 40:
    21 Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
    Has it not been told you from the beginning?
    Have you not understood since the earth was founded?
    22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
    and its people are like grasshoppers.
    He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
    and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

I didn't say the people though the stars were garments, they thought the heavens were a garment. They thought the stars were "lights" placed in the dome of heaven by God for people to find their way.

They did not and it does not say garment. It says "He stretches out the heavens like a canopy". You cannot take "like" out of the sentence and change it's entire meaning just to make it fit your strawman.
    In reality the ancients didn't have clue what the sky actually ways, which is why you get numerous metaphors trying to relate the sky to things they were familiar with.

In reality that's not worth the electrons that cause the screen to luminese. How can your words be accepted for anything if you are prepared to remove words from Bible quotations to bolster your failing argument.
    You know what I mean like.

And :confused:
    And they had no idea what these things were so how could they be describing the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

Like I said if you see a cloud coming and say "Oh it's going to rain" you are describing quantum gravity.

If you do not know the difference between a star and a gas giant your point is null and void.

Stars are made of gas. Planets like Jupiter are not the only objects in space known as gas giants.
    Where does it say that (bolded) in the Bible ? The passage describes the the waters on the earth (seas and oceans), the waters in the skys (firmament or "dome", which is not in my translation - firmament is better) and the skys (firmament, "dome") above.

No it doesn't, read it again. It describes the water above the sky.

7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.”

The ancients thought of the sky as a solid dome above us, and imagined water above that that leaked through and fell on us.
    Clouds are waters in the sky above, not the heavens above. Even the ancients knew that.
    No they didn't, which is why the word "sky" and "heaven" are used interchangably, as you can see from the various translations of the Bible where "sky" is replaced by "heaven in Gen 1.6
    They did not and it does not say garment. It says "He stretches out the heavens like a canopy". You cannot take "like" out of the sentence and change it's entire meaning just to make it fit your strawman.

They didn't think it was an actual canopy, they though it was something that is stretchable. How do you stretch 13 billion light years of space?
    In reality that's not worth the electrons that cause the screen to luminese. How can your words be accepted for anything if you are prepared to remove words from Bible quotations to bolster your failing argument.
    You know what I mean like.

You are missing the point (I suspect on purpose because you don't have a proper reply).

They thought the sky/heaven was something above them that was placed dome like above them "like" a canopy or "like" a tent. It is obviously not an actual tent, a tent is something man made.

This is a million miles away from actually describing the universe and concepts like the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

And they had no idea what these things were so how could they be describing the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

You don't understand the Bible or what it is, do you. "They" did not describe anything. "God" described it. The Bible contains the Words of God, not man. Sure a man or a woman wrote down the words but they didn't write down their own words, they wrote down words inspired by God.
    Like I said if you see a cloud coming and say "Oh it's going to rain" you are describing quantum gravity.

Maybe round you're parts. Here we call it the weather. I haven't heard Evelyn Cusack mention quantum gravity once this week. Have you?

Oh, sorry - quantum gravity. That's another straw man isn't it. We're discussing thermodynamics which is entirely macroscopic and you have to bring in the microscopic. No surprise there.

Stars are made of gas. Planets like Jupiter are not the only objects in space known as gas giants.

What's Jupiter got to do with anything now? Why bring Jupiter into it. Oh, I forgot, you think stars are gas giants.
    A star may be made of many things, well, not that many really, but they are chiefly plasma, and it cannot be called a gas giant because plasma is not a gas. You could I suppose call them plasma giants given much bigger than Jupiter the sun is.

So now we know you haven't any understanding of astronomy. Why is that not surprising.
    No it doesn't, read it again. It describes the water above the sky.

I had and it says what I said it says. Why should I believe the interpretation of someone who has no problem removing words that don't fit with their particular opinion.

The ancients thought of the sky as a solid dome above us, and imagined water above that that leaked through and fell on us.

In your mind perhaps but that is not the way it is described in the Bible. Maybe you like to think people thought they were living under a sieve but the people you like to think you can speak for were obviously not Jews or Christians.
    I think they figured out the clouds pretty quicky and it didn't matter if they were Jews, Christian or anything else. It's simple observation. Clouds come first then rain. No clouds, no rain. Sieve - what on earth use is that. A sieve won't keep me dry - give me a canopy or a tent.
    They may have wondered how the rain got into the clouds but that is an entirely different question and one where sieves are entirely useless.

Of course you seem to think people then were less intelligent that they are now. That could be seen as arrogant or superiour.
    No they didn't, which is why the word "sky" and "heaven" are used interchangably, as you can see from the various translations of the Bible where "sky" is replaced by "heaven in Gen 1.6

Yes they did and as already demonstrated it would not have taken long. So, I can only figure your thinking must be beyond ancient if you think thats what they thought. Stop trying to impose your world view of life and thinking at the time when you clearly haven't a clue.
    Do you not realise that even today the skys are refered to as the heavens at night and the sky by day. This interchangability is nothing new. Clouds are refered to as being in the sky, not the heavens.

They didn't think it was an actual canopy, they though it was something that is stretchable. How do you stretch 13 billion light years of space?

Stretchable space. Nice one. Where is that described in the Bible?
    First you said they thought it was a canopy now you are saying they thought it was something stretchable even though they couldn't touch it or fathom it. Where are you going with this? Clutching the straws of your destroyed strawmen methinks.
    Stretchable space. That's Einsteins' canopy.

You are missing the point (I suspect on purpose because you don't have a proper reply).

You miss mine often and present erroneous improper replies of your own often enough so fair is fair.
    They thought the sky/heaven was something above them that was placed dome like above them "like" a canopy or "like" a tent. It is obviously not an actual tent, a tent is something man made.

"Dome like" is not a Biblical description. Introduce another straw man why not. Go back to that Bible of yours with the words strategically removed.
    And you demonstrably haven't a clue what they thought.

This is a million miles away from actually describing the universe and concepts like the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

So lets get back to how the Bible presents it's description of the second law of thermodynamics.

It describes the stars as finite things that will wax old and perish like an old garment.

To me that is the concept of the Second Law of Thermodynamics in poetic terms as succint metaphor.
    It's almost as succint as ""spontaneous natural processes increase entropy overall." but not as poetic.

You don't seem to get poetry don't you, or is it just that poetry is equally beyond your understanding.

If I started a thread on scientific concepts in one of Dodgson's childrens books would you be equally antagonistic?

Or do you have a more fundamental problem? Why do you have such a problem with there being scientific concepts in the Bible? Why should there not be science in the Bible? The Laws of nature, the laws of thermodynamics are Gods laws.

Did you forget that God created science?

You don't understand the Bible or what it is, do you. "They" did not describe anything. "God" described it.

You nullified that position when you refused to consider any other parts of the Bible, such as Peter.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say you aren't interested in other parts of the Bible that contradict your position and then say the Bible is the inerrant word of God. Do you mean just the bits you want to discuss today?
    Maybe round you're parts. Here we call it the weather. I haven't heard Evelyn Cusack mention quantum gravity once this week. Have you?

Exactly, thank you for demonstrating my point.

You are not describing a scientific theory simply by mentioning a phenomena.

Saying garments wear out is not describing the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Supposing that everything else will eventually wear out like a garment isn't either. It is simply applying what we observe every day to everything in general, particularly in the context of an eternal God and a finite world which is what the Jews believed in.

You can see this yourself with other examples, you seem to be just being stubborn by not seeing it with the passage in Hebrews.
    Oh, sorry - quantum gravity. That's another straw man isn't it. We're discussing thermodynamics which is entirely macroscopic and you have to bring in the microscopic. No surprise there.

Thermodynamics is the study of the vibrations of molecules (heat). It has macroscopic effects but the theory that actually explains it is concerned with the interactions of atoms.

Same with quantum gravity, which attempts to explain what gravity actually is, which effects everything from the planets to you falling in the snow.

Once again you demonstrate my point, if someone describes someone falling no one suppose they are presenting quantum gravity because you don't need to know a thing about quantum gravity to know that things fall.

Likewise if someone says things wear out, or even all things will wear out, there is no reason to suppose they are detailing the 2nd law of thermodynamics. They are simply describing what they experience and supposing that all things follow the same rules.

You can do this and still be entirely ignorant of the process behind it, just like you can with the effects of gravity.
    What's Jupiter got to do with anything now? Why bring Jupiter into it. Oh, I forgot, you think stars are gas giants.

Do you know what Jupiter is? I am referring to the planet, not the god.
    A star may be made of many things, well, not that many really, but they are chiefly plasma, and it cannot be called a gas giant because plasma is not a gas.

Groan. :mad: Plasma is ionized gas.
    I had and it says what I said it says. Why should I believe the interpretation of someone who has no problem removing words that don't fit with their particular opinion.

There is no interpretation required. It says the water is above the vault and it says the vault is called sky/heaven.
    In your mind perhaps but that is not the way it is described in the Bible. Maybe you like to think people thought they were living under a sieve but the people you like to think you can speak for were obviously not Jews or Christians.

For someone who likes to go on about the Bible you seem rather unfamiliar with it. Read Genesis again.
    Yes they did and as already demonstrated it would not have taken long.

You can keep saying that, it doesn't make it true. The words are used interchangeably in the Bible.

Saying you "demonstrated it" by simply saying no they didn't is a curious notion of demonstrating.
    Stop trying to impose your world view of life and thinking at the time when you clearly haven't a clue.

Stop thinking? Will that make me a better Christian?
    Do you not realise that even today the skys are refered to as the heavens at night and the sky by day. This interchangability is nothing new.

So first they weren't using it interchangeably and now they were but it is nothing new.

I agree it is nothing new the Bible was written thousands of years ago.
    Stretchable space. Nice one. Where is that described in the Bible?
    Its not, that is my point. They didn't know that the heavens were the universe, that the Earth was suspended in empty space. They thought the sky was a dome above them that God could stretch out and would eventually destroy.
    First you said they thought it was a canopy now you are saying they thought it was something stretchable even though they couldn't touch it or fathom it. Where are you going with this?

From the Bible, from passages you refuse to acknowledge saying you only want to discuss Hebrews.
    "Dome like" is not a Biblical description.
    Yes it is. It is what the word "vault" means.

Have you actually read Genesis? What do you think these words mean?
    So lets get back to how the Bible presents it's description of the second law of thermodynamics.

It describes the stars as finite things that will wax old and perish like an old garment.
    It describes everything as that because the Jews believe God would destroy this world and make a new one.
    You don't seem to get poetry don't you, or is it just that poetry is equally beyond your understanding.

The poetry is easy to understand. Everything but God is finite. Everything will perish. God will destroy all things with fire and create a new world.

This is similar to a lot of other religious creation/destruction beliefs.

The only bit where there is a problem is when you start trying to map this to the 2nd law of thermodynamics. This isn't a problem with Judaism, Christianity or the Bible. It is a problem with you trying to make a connection that simply doesn't exist.
    Or do you have a more fundamental problem? Why do you have such a problem with there being scientific concepts in the Bible?
    I don't have a problem with scientific concepts being the Bible. I have a problem with believers like yourself distorting science to try and get it to fit your interpretations of the Bible.

My problem is not with the Bible, it is with you. Reality isn't a play thing to fit what ever nonsense notion you have come up with today. Things like scientific theories are important, they are not here simply to amuse believers who want to feel better about their faith.

You nullified that position when you refused to consider any other parts of the Bible, such as Peter.

and you nullified yours by removing words to change the meanings completely and make nonesense arguments.
    There is not need to consider the parts you don't understand because it is irrelevant to this discussion. It has merit in other discussions but not this one.
    You can't have it both ways. You can't say you aren't interested in other parts of the Bible that contradict your position and then say the Bible is the inerrant word of God. Do you mean just the bits you want to discuss today?

I'm not going to discuss contradictions in the Bible with someone who doesn't understand the Bible. The quotations presented in defence of my position are standalone.
    What happens due natural laws is described. What happens due to actions of God are also described but are a different matter.
    One does not contradict the other. One says this is what happens, the other says this is what will happen.
    If I do nothing to a cup with potential energy it will stay where it is until the second law of thermodynamics is fullfilled.
    If I intervene and push the cup from having potention energy to having kinetic enery under gravity it will be destroyed with a roar if you have a quantum microphone to pick up the noise.
    There is no contradiction.
    God is saying is is what happens and this is what He will do. You do know how the word "and " works don't you? it joins two separate phrases together.
    You are not describing a scientific theory simply by mentioning a phenomena.

What phenomenon was evident to cause the writing of " even the stars will perish like an old garment". The stars then were considered immutable. The concept that they would fade away with age to dust was not a consideration. The quotations do not say "I will cause them to perish like an old garment" it says "they will perish like an old garment". And then God may do something with them. [my paraphrasing]
    You can see this yourself with other examples, you seem to be just being stubborn by not seeing it with the passage in Hebrews.

Well your just being stubborn by refusing to seeing how the second law of thermodynamics is described in the passage in Hebrews.

Thermodynamics is the study of the vibrations of molecules (heat). It has macroscopic effects but the theory that actually explains it is concerned with the interactions of atoms.

If you are going to try to define thermodynamics you would serve yourself better if you did it propery. It involves a lot more than vibrations of molecules and it is concerned with more than atoms.
    "the branch of physics concerned with the conversion of different forms of energy"
    "the study of energy conversion between heat and mechanical work, and subsequently the macroscopic variables such as temperature, volume and pressure".
    "The branch of physics that tells us that matter and energy can be neither created nor destroyed, and that the entropy in the total system always increases"
    "A phenomenological description of equilibrium properties of macroscopic systems"
    "
    The study of energy and its transformation"
    "The study of processes applied to macroscopic systems characterized by variables of state defined by a set number of physical quantities, particularly processes affected by temperature"

All of the above are valid definitions. All go well beyond your simply and erroneous definiton that ignores molecules and other forms of energy.
    Same with quantum gravity, which attempts to explain what gravity actually is, which effects everything from the planets to you falling in the snow.

Wrong. One is theoretical and seeks to assist in the development of a unified theory of everything. The other is standalone and a phenomenon that is observable and tangible.
    Once again you demonstrate my point, if someone describes someone falling no one suppose they are presenting quantum gravity because you don't need to know a thing about quantum gravity to know that things fall.

Again you demostrate my point that you cannot argue on merits without introducing irrelevancies. The theory of quantum gravity has little or nothing to do with falling bodies whereas the phenomenon that is gravity has everything to do with it.

What phenomenon was evident to cause the writing of " even the stars will perish like an old garment". The stars then were considered immutable and the only thing that could destroy them would be an action by God. The concept that they would fade away with age to dust was not a consideration. The quotations do not say "I will cause them to perish like an old garment" it says "they will perish like an old garment. And then God may do something with them" . [my paraphrasing] Maybe roll them up, maybe make a new universe out if them. It doesn;t matter what He will do. What matters is what He said regarding them. " the heavens are the work of Thy hands. They shall perish, but Thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment"
    Likewise if someone says things wear out, or even all things will wear out, there is no reason to suppose they are detailing the 2nd law of thermodynamics. They are simply describing what they experience and supposing that all things follow the same rules.

Once again you demostrate my point. You introduce a concept that is irrelevant so you can show off your ignorance. Quantum gravity, if it exists, acts upon tiny tiny particles. Gravity acts on large objects. Quantum gravity is entirely theoretical whereas gravity is an observable phenomenon.

Is the second law of thermodynamics entirely theoretical? No it is an observable, measurable phenomenon.

You can do this and still be entirely ignorant of the process behind it, just like you can with the effects of gravity.

Do you know what Jupiter is? I am referring to the planet, not the god.

You know what a gas giant is? I was refering to the planets.

Groan. :mad: Plasma is ionized gas.

Oh please keep it up. I love your displays of ignorance. Plasma is a lot more than just ionized gas.What of the heat, the pressure? Stars are almost all plasma and gas giants like Jupiter, the gas giant planet and not your god, have little or no plasma.
    Stars are incredibly hot, gas giants are incredibly cold.

For someone who likes to go on about the Bible you seem rather unfamiliar with it. Read Genesis again.

I prefer being entertained by you. Go on and show me where it says the Jews believed they were living under a moveable canopy with holes in it to let the rain fall down.

You can keep saying that, it doesn't make it true. The words are used interchangeably in the Bible.

Saying you "demonstrated it" by simply saying no they didn't is a curious notion of demonstrating.

Stop thinking? Will that make me a better Christian?

Are you claiming to be a Christian now? What kind of Christian does not believe in the Resurrection?
    I don't believe the resurrection happened.

Its not, that is my point. They didn't know that the heavens were the universe, that the Earth was suspended in empty space.

but that is my point. I care little what they "thought" or what they "knew". I am more interested in what the Bible says.
    They thought the sky was a dome above them that God could stretch out and would eventually destroy.

Only if they were reading the Bible you translated. As I said, I'm not interested in what you think they thought. I am interested in what is written in the Bible. What you think they thought is irrelevant.
    What is relevent is what the Bible says and how that is related to modern scientific understanding of the same phenomena.

From the Bible, from passages you refuse to acknowledge saying you only want to discuss Hebrews.

Read 2 Peter 3 again and tell me where it mentions stretched space.

Oh, of course you are recalling your version of Isiah with the word "like" removed.

Yes it is. It is what the word "vault" means.

No it doesn't. It means somewhere to put your valuables, or to jump. maybe the translation you are using thinks it means a dome. The transation I am using uses the term "firmament". You have to use the same translation - simply picking a translation that fits with what you want it to mean is not valid.
    Have you actually read Genesis? What do you think these words mean?

No, I cut and paste blind without reading :rolleyes:

It means an expanse.
    It describes everything as that because the Jews believe God would destroy this world and make a new one.

No. The Jews believed the Messiah would come to destroy the Romans. Not quite the same as what is in the Bible but that's where they went wrong. See what happens when you think you know what people thougth at a particular time.

The poetry is easy to understand. Everything but God is finite. Everything will perish. God will destroy all things with fire and create a new world.

See what you said there. first everything will perish, then God will destroy all things. The perishing happens because it is meant to happen. The destruction is a separate act of God.
    Likewise the stars will persish. Then God will destroy their remains and do whatever He wants with them.

The only bit where there is a problem is when you start trying to map this to the 2nd law of thermodynamics. This isn't a problem with Judaism, Christianity or the Bible. It is a problem with you trying to make a connection that simply doesn't exist.

No. The problem is that the connection exists but you are blind to it.
    I don't have a problem with scientific concepts being the Bible.

So you agree that there are scientific concepts in the Bible. Brilliant. Splendid. Which one do you like the best?
    I have a problem with believers like yourself distorting science to try and get it to fit your interpretations of the Bible.

Well, I have a problem with people like yourself distorting science and the Bible to try and get it to fit your prejudiced theophobic misunderstandings.
    My problem is not with the Bible, it is with you. Reality isn't a play thing to fit what ever nonsense notion you have come up with today. Things like scientific theories are important, they are not here simply to amuse believers who want to feel better about their faith.

Well, I wasn't talking about a scientific theory - that's your strawman. I'm talking about the scientific phenomena.

It is patently obvious you have a problem with me - why I don't know. you could simply ignore me but you don't. You could say - that's interesting, it may have some merit but here's why I disagree and present a reasonable argument but you don't. You present lies, half truths, misrepresentations and erroneous irrelevancies.

I presented a quotation from the Bible and suggest that there is a striking similarity to what we know of as a fundamental scientific law. I see what the Bible says as an analagous parallel that was misunderstood until it became a "scientific discovery".
    If you can't see it that's your problem and given the way you twist the Bible, science and history... well... it's not that surprising.

• Advertisement

What are atoms? They are tiny tiny tiny things we couldn't see even with the aid of an extremely expensive microscope until very very recently. To all intents and purposes they were invisible and are invisible in visible light. To see an atom one needs an extremely expensive microscope that uses things even smaller than atoms which we call electrons. We use electrons because they are charged, can be stripped from an atom and fired at small targets like atoms and molecules. That's a very simple view but you don't need to know the physics and theory of scanning tunnelling electron microscopes to understand that atoms are so small as to be considered invisible. It may help to understand that atoms are mostly empty space. Tiny and until recently "invisible".
    Because we cannot see them with visible light and they are mostly empty space they can properly be considered to be invisible. Indeed many school science books describe them as invisible.

What does it serve us to be able to see an atom? Not a lot. We could manipulate atoms without being able to see them and manipulating atoms is more valuable. The vast quantities of money spent on developing the technology to be able to "see" an atom could probably have been put to a much better use, like saving lives, but it wasn't. Anyway that's beside the point.

How does the Bible describe the world?

(Hebrews 11)
    [3] By faith we understand that the world was framed by the word of God; that from invisible things visible things might be made.

it describes the world as being made from invisible things.

Extraordinary. and fascinating.

How Jews and early Christians got their heads around that I don't know.
    We are solid matter. We might be made of smaller bits but we can see them.
    At that time it would have been very difficult to accecpt that invisible things make up the visible things.

IN 1879 the smallest thing that could be a component of another thing was a plainly visible element or so Laviosier thought. It wasn't until 1803 that Dalton conceptualised the atom.

Maybe he read the Bible after work and before going to bed.

"from invisible things visible things might be made"

Hebrews 11.3 points us towards things so small as to be invisible from which the visible things are made.

We call them atoms now.

And now we know the world and the universe is made from atoms and empty space.
    Some would also include theories or theoretical particles but lets stick with what we know to be real.

Things tending to minimum order or maximum chaos?

didn't I post a link to "Why do things get in a muddle"?
    Order and chaos is what entropy is all about isn't it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69227125&postcount=80

There are more ways of being untidy than of being tidy.

Entropy is a measure of the 'specialness' of the state of a system, and can help us understand order and disorder in some cases, but it is distinct from order and disorder. The photons emitted by the sun, for example, have a lower entropy than the photons emitted by the earth. But it makes little sense to say they are more orderly photons.

So the Bible might speak of order and chaos, but it does not talk about entropy, or enthalpy, or any statistical mechanical concept because these concepts are not synonymous with order, chaos, or perishing.

it describes the world as being made from invisible things.
    Extraordinary. and fascinating.
    Some would also include theories or theoretical particles but lets stick with what we know to be real.

If only.

Well it looks like the Kool Aid has been well and truly drunk on this thread. I'm out of here, enjoy your butchering of science and reason.

And?

sorry but wrong. ther were as there are now different views but the most prevalent was that the Aristotlean one.
    In that view there were several spheres on Earth and several in the heavens.
    Ther ones on Earth was that of Earth within that of water within Air within fire.
    They had a physics to go with it. Things went to their natural place and everything was made up of these elements. So if you burn wood you liberate fire from it and it flys up to the natural place. Earth will move to the Earth so things fall that way. Air bubbles rise through water etc.

The Water sphere was that of the oceans and not[.b] a sphere up in the air as you maintain.

Terrestrial spheres changed and interacted. Celestial ones were made of perfect substances like crystal and didn't change.

Just as we don't know what "empty space" really is today? :)

sorry but wrong. ther were as there are now different views but the most prevalent was that the Aristotlean one.

Not in the time of Moses, a thousand years before Aristotle was born.

Entropy is a measure of the 'specialness' of the state of a system, and can help us understand order and disorder in some cases, but it is distinct from order and disorder. The photons emitted by the sun, for example, have a lower entropy than the photons emitted by the earth. But it makes little sense to say they are more orderly photons.

I disagree. the SYSTEM is ordered to more or less. Over time it can not become more ordered without adding energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy
    entropy expresses the disorder or randomness of the constituents of a thermodynamic system
    entropy is essentially a measure of the number of ways in which a system may be arranged, often taken to be a measure of "disorder" (the higher the entropy, the higher the disorder

So the Bible might speak of order and chaos, but it does not talk about entropy, or enthalpy, or any statistical mechanical concept because these concepts are not synonymous with order, chaos, or perishing.

Order and chaos ore analogous with entropy and we are discussing analogies here aren't we?
    entropy is essentially a measure of the number of ways in which a system may be arranged, often taken to be a measure of "disorder"

so you have a hand-waving view of "the ancients" . to whom, in particular do you refer to as "the ancients"?

You are aware that science ( the philosophjical view you are claiming to represent) is rooted in ancient greek philosophical thinking? I assume you referred to ancient rational philosophical thinkers and not cave men or oriental mystics.
    in message 135
    "firmament" comes from the Hebrew word raki'a which is used as a solid dome. The ancients believed that the heavens were a dome over their head that contained "lights".

to whom were you referring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Just as we don't know what "empty space" really is today? :)
    Huh? I don't understand this.

so you have a hand-waving view of "the ancients" . to whom, in particular do you refer to as "the ancients"?
    I assume he meant early Semitic socities, which all had a similar word like the biblical raki'a expressing their view that the sky was like a great foundation atop the Earth. For example in Mesopotamian mythology Anu's palace was on it.

Enkidu wrote: »

Exactly! Who really understands what "empty space" is ? Or what a photon is as smarter than I have suggested?

• Advertisement

Exactly! Who really understands what "empty space" is ? Or what a photon is as smarter than I have suggested?
    No, I don't understand what you mean by saying:
    we don't know what "empty space" really is today

I assume he meant early Semitic socities, which all had a similar word like the biblical raki'a expressing their view that the sky was like a great foundation atop the Earth. For example in Mesopotamian mythology Anu's palace was on it.

So Moses was writing about the concept of Anu's palace and basing his writings in Mesopotamian mythology?

How do you know? Didnt Aristharcus of samos write about a heliocentric system? and is it not premptedand influenced by anaximander through pythagorus at least 300 years earlier?

No, I don't understand what you mean by saying:

Do you believe society understands what "empty space" really is or is it just you don't personally understand it but believe science understands it?

So Moses was writing about the concept of Anu's palace and basing his writings in Mesopotamian mythology?
    Well we don't know who wrote the early Hebrew texts, but they certainly use generic Semitic concepts such as the firmament. For example consider the hydra in greek mythology, such a "water dragon" is a common motif across Indo-European mythology, such as Indic myth. It's appearance in Greek myth doesn't mean the Greeks were copying Indian writers, just that both were drawing on a shared heritage.

The firmanent is a common Semitic idea.

Do you believe society understands what "empty space" really is or is it just you don't personally understand it but believe science understands it?
    I don't understand what you mean. What exactly are you saying? Are you saying science doesn't understand empty space or the average person doesn't?

No. You said the prevailing view was the Aristotelean view. I agree with this after Aristotle's time, but not a thousand years before. This your post is some what irrelevant to what I'm saying.

I disagree. the SYSTEM is ordered to more or less. Over time it can not become more ordered without adding energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy

Order and chaos ore analogous with entropy and we are discussing analogies here aren't we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(order_and_disorder)
    "In the context of entropy, "perfect internal disorder" is synonymous with "equilibrium", but since that definition is so far different from the usual definition implied in normal speech, the use of the term in science has caused a great deal of confusion and misunderstanding."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(energy_dispersal)
    "Such descriptions have tended to be used together with commonly used terms such as disorder and chaos which are ambiguous, and whose everyday meaning is the opposite of what they are intended to mean in thermodynamics.

Another physicist, Daniel F. Styer, published an article in 2000 showing that "entropy as disorder" was inadequate.[22] In an article published in the 2002 Journal of Chemical Education, Frank L. Lambert argued that portraying entropy as "disorder" is confusing and should be abandoned."

Frank L. Lambert, Professor Emeritus (Chemistry)
    Occidental College, Los Angeles
    http://www2.ucdsb.on.ca/tiss/stretton/CHEM2/entropy_new_1.htm
    "Entropy is not disorder, not a measure of chaos, not a driving force. Energy's diffusion or dispersal to more microstates is the driving force in chemistry. Entropy is the measure or index of that dispersal.

For several years students were taught that "Entropy is disorder," Entropy is NOT disorder! This confusion about disorder and entropy comes from 1895 before an adequate understanding of the details of energy change in atoms and molecules was possible. At that time even the existence of molecules was not acknowledged by some of the most prominent scientists in physics and chemistry.

Although order/disorder is still present in some elementary chemistry texts as a gimmick for guessing about entropy changes, it is both misleading and an anachronism today and will be phased out of future textbooks. In the humanities and popular literature, the repeated use of entropy in connection with "disorder" (in the multitude of its different common meanings) has caused enormous intellectual harm."

----

Two articles disccusing the problems with equating entropy and disorder
    http://entropysite.oxy.edu/entropy_is_simple/index.html
    http://entropysite.oxy.edu/cracked_crutch.html

----

Entropy and disorder are not analogous. Entropy has a very specific definition. Sometimes it can be helpful to understand entropy in terms of disorder. Often it is not. So when the authors of the Bible were discussing things perishing, they were not discussing entropy or the second law of thermodynamics.

It's very easy. Empty space is not really empty. It's a quantum thing.

Christian view - God is everywhere even in empty space :)

• Advertisement

It's very easy. Empty space is not really empty. It's a quantum thing.

Christian view - God is everywhere even in empty space :)

oh dear...

Advertisement