Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatles

Options
  • 23-11-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Are the best. Let's Discuss.

I have only recently (the last year) got into them, and I really love them. I have listened to all their stuff extensively since. They are untouchable music legends in my opinion.

My fav album is Let It Be and my fav song is the live rooftop version of Don't Let Me Down.

There aren't any dedicated Beatles threads so I set this up so people can share stories about them, talk about their music etc. Just a general discussion for all things Beatles.

As I've said before, I don't know anyone as big a fan as me to chat with, so hopefully people can enlighten each other about stories or facts they didnt know before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Your threads are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Kold wrote: »
    Your threads are stupid.

Let It Be is my favourite album. How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Are the best at what? Ringo was the best Thomas the Tank Engine narrator of all time, is that what you mean?

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Let It Be is my favourite album. How about you?

Favourite album or favourite Beatles album?

Latter, I'd have to go with Revolver.

Daddio wrote: »
    Are the best at what? Ringo was the best Thomas the Tank Engine narrator of all time, is that what you mean?

Influencing a generation?
    Inspiring the majority of musicans that came after them?
    Making music?
    Record Sales?

I think the fact that they recorded 13 top notch albums in 7 years is amazing.

• Advertisement

Making music?
    Record Sales?

I personally think that J S Bach sh*ts all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I really like The Beatles, but I always thought The Monks were better. I think they used feedback for musical purposes before The Beatles too. They wrote better tunes and wore nice robes.

Favourite album or favourite Beatles album?

Latter, I'd have to go with Revolver.

TBH probably both. Revolver would probably be my second favourite Beatles album.

Sorry about the thread format but I love The Beatles and I dont know many people who like them as much as I do and who I can have a discussion with / share stories about the so I posted it up. Everyone in the Oasis thread referenced them at some stage and I thought I left it long enough before I started this topic? I'm not out to make enemies or annoy people.... :)

Favourite track would have to be the live rooftop version of "Don't Let Me Down'.

TBH probably both. Revolver would probably be my second favourite Beatles album.

Sorry about the thread format but I love The Beatles and I dont know many people who like them as much as I do and who I can have a discussion with / share stories about the so I posted it up. Everyone in the Oasis thread referenced them at some stage and I thought I left it long enough before I started this topic? I'm not out to make enemies or annoy people.... :)

Favourite track would have to be the live rooftop version of "Don't Let Me Down'.

It's mostly your hyperbole more than anything. Also, they're probably up there with the most discussed artists of all time, a quick forum search will doubtlessly have quite a few threads.

It's mostly your hyperbole more than anything. Also, they're probably up there with the most discussed artists of all time, a quick forum search will doubtlessly have quite a few threads.

I did search, all the threads were about beatles rockband, beatles x factor night or abbey road recording gear. There was no dedicated thread....

As for my hyberbole, I don't think I used any in this thread? The Beatles were arguably the best at influencing a generation? Inspiring the majority of musicans that came after them? Making music? Record Sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I did search, all the threads were about beatles rockband, beatles x factor night or abbey road recording gear. There was no dedicated thread....

As for my hyberbole, I don't think I used any in this thread? The Beatles were arguably the best at influencing a generation? Inspiring the majority of musicans that came after them? Making music? Record Sales?

tbh man, the body of your post was "are the best, discuss", the finality in that comment, for me, was off-putting, it's the second thread I've seen you post like this. Most people like some element of The Beatles, what did you expect this thread to become without more direction?

You’ve elaborated a little in the post above and imo…

The Beatles are the best at…

Making music: No, I mean…. they were pretty out there at times, but I don’t feel they were all that innovative, just better known than some other bands who tried similar things. Yes, they wrote some great tunes, but I like other bands and other songs more, but that’s all relative.

Record Sales: I don’t think that’s important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Definitely a lazy approach to a thread. Put some effort into your first post and you might get more out of people. The way it is you come across as not really caring about the band or your thread.

The Beatles are obviously amazing, there's hardly any need to discuss that (unless you're gunning for a row with people who disagree).

smokedeels wrote: »
    tbh man, the body of your post was "are the best, discuss", the finality in that comment, for me, was off-putting, it's the second thread I've seen you post like this. Most people like some element of The Beatles, what did you expect this thread to become without more direction?

You’ve elaborated a little in the post above and imo…

The Beatles are the best at…

Making music: No, I mean…. they were pretty out there at times, but I don’t feel they were all that innovative, just better known than some other bands who tried similar things. Yes, they wrote some great tunes, but I like other bands and other songs more, but that’s all relative.

Record Sales: I don’t think that’s important

I'm not sure of this but I heard that they have sold something like a billion records worldwide?
    Definitely a lazy approach to a thread. Put some effort into your first post and you might get more out of people. The way it is you come across as not really caring about the band or your thread.

The Beatles are obviously amazing, there's hardly any need to discuss that (unless you're gunning for a row with people who disagree).

Thanks guys, you're right. I changed the first post in light of your comments. Hopefully all is good now?

My favourite story is when The Beatles first met Bob Dylan in New York! :D

Making music?
    Record Sales?

They certainly influenced a generation.
    They have definitely inspired many musicians since the 1960s.
    Not sure what the third point means.
    They have sold the most records indeed, afaik.

I find it interesting how you quantify "the best" though. I don't think I could personally use the the fact that they sold the most records as being emblematic of greatness from an artistic point of view - case in point (and grand as they are for a drunken birthday party) Abba are in the top 5 most successful musical acts of all time. This does not make them great for me, although clearly they knew how to make the public want them - maybe this is where their genius lies? Influence is a noble point to bring up, although sadly also 50 Cent has influenced a generation of wigger fools hip-hoppin their way down to the local Spar for a good ol' loiter. I'm being facetious here - of course the music industry was different (less cynical and market-driven for example) when The Beatles were around, but it's a very difficult task to definitively label one band as being The Best Evar. For every person willing to shout The Beatles were the best, you'll have another shouting "no way - Elvis was the best", then another shouting Michael Jackson, another randomer shouting The Dubliners amid jeers and thrown bottles, and then myself saying "why I believe Miles Davis deserves the credit of being the best. Although my opinion would change again the following week." Simultaneously, all of us would be wrong, and all of us would be right ;)

They certainly influenced a generation.
    They have definitely inspired many musicians since the 1960s.
    Not sure what the third point means.
    They have sold the most records indeed, afaik.

I find it interesting how you quantify "the best" though. I don't think I could personally use the the fact that they sold the most records as being emblematic of greatness from an artistic point of view - case in point (and grand as they are for a drunken birthday party) Abba are in the top 5 most successful musical acts of all time. This does not make them great for me, although clearly they knew how to make the public want them - maybe this is where their genius lies?

Influence is a noble point to bring up, although sadly also 50 Cent has influenced a generation of wigger fools hip-hoppin their way down to the local Spar for a good ol' loiter. I'm being facetious here - of course the music industry was different (less cynical and market-driven for example) when The Beatles were around, but it's a very difficult task to definitively label one band as being The Best Evar. For every person willing to shout The Beatles were the best, you'll have another shouting "no way - Elvis was the best", then another shouting Michael Jackson, another randomer shouting The Dubliners amid jeers and thrown bottles, and then myself saying "why I believe Miles Davis deserves the credit of being the best. Although my opinion would change again the following week." Simultaneously, all of us would be wrong, and all of us would be right ;)

Good point, I read that they sold 1.3 billion records worlwide to date? Obviously it never was or will be about the ammount of record sales a band has, but I just though this was a massive figure and deserved a mention.

Obviously everyone has their favourite and they will proclaim them to "be the best ever". With all the hype surrounding their release on itunes last week I have read loads about them, and many critics fans etc saying they were the best.

I think the most important point is that The Beatles have stood the test of time. I'm 21 and started listening to them off my own accord. I loved them pretty much straight away. Loads of kids these days pick up an album and get into them - their music is timeless (Maybe Please Please Me is a little old fashioned but I still enjoy it).

Yeah that is true about 50 cent and many more, but The Beatles inspired a lot more people than he ever will. Obviously I wasn't around in the 60's but from what I've read, for them 7 years they were IT.

Sorry, just to elaborate on "making music".

What I mean is: Is there other bands that have created music, over such a small period of time, that was so completely different? I mean like "Love me Do" to "I am the Walrus".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i think its fair to say there the best ever the only band to come near them in terms of making fantastic music id say are led zepplin

Yeah well 50 cent is obviously a very negative example to point out. Read his twitter feed, then hope to yourself that his fans aren't taking his posts seriously :eek:

i can appreciate what they did at the time, and clearly there is value in what they have done, but I just don't listen to that type of music very much any more. For most people though, there's not a whole lot not to like about them. I mean - they're fairly inoffensive to most people in society: they had their young clean-cut boy era, they had their "experimental-lite" drugged-up era, then they had their last album or two which were going in yet another direction, beyond 60s rock to some extent with songs like Let it Be etc.

At the same time though, there were guys like the Velvet Underground and The Byrds post -65 albums pioneering that gritty/drugged-up noiserock stuff, which to me at least, is more interesting and innovative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

My favorite album is abbey road . They are probably my favorite band . Great transformations can be seen throughout there work

For most people though, there's not a whole lot not to like about them. I mean - they're fairly inoffensive to most people in society: they had their young clean-cut boy era, they had their "experimental-lite" drugged-up era, then they had their last album or two which were going in yet another direction, beyond 60s rock to some extent with songs like Let it Be etc.

At the same time though, there were guys like the Velvet Underground and The Byrds post -65 albums pioneering that gritty/drugged-up noiserock stuff, which to me at least, is more interesting and innovative.

I like The Velvet Underground, great band in fairness. The only Byrds song I know is Mr. Tamborine man, the Dylan cover, which the did justice. I'll check them out.

Yeah in the Let It Be film they interview all sorts of people during the rooftop concert - even older people had alot of time for them. One guy who was easily 60 thought they were great "nice lads, and out there with a style of their own." How many 60 year olds even know who the Kings of Leon are? :D
    Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    My favorite album is abbey road . They are probably my favorite band . Great transformations can be seen throughout there work

This really is a massive plus to The Beatles. After listening and re-listening a few times, I literally could not believe that the same band who sang Twist and Shout were writing Tommorrow Never Knows 3 years later. :eek:

• Advertisement

Sorry, just to elaborate on "making music".

What I mean is: Is there other bands that have created music, over such a small period of time, that was so completely different? I mean like "Love me Do" to "I am the Walrus".

John Cage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

John Cage.

Going to see him perform Paris at primavera next May, can't wait!

lordgoat wrote: »
    Going to see him perform Paris at primavera next May, can't wait!
    I hear his corpse can still give 4'33 a bloody good performance ;)

- During the week of April 4, 1964, The Beatles occupied the first five positions on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart (12 in the Hot 100), the top 2 positions on the albums chart, the no. 1 position in the British singles chart, the first two positions in the British albums chart and the no. 1 position in the British EP chart, – the most complete domination of the British and American charts in history.

- They hold the record for the group with the longest span between no. 1 albums in the Billboard albums chart (36 years and 51 weeks, 1964 to 2001). In 2000 – 20 years after John Lennon was killed, their greatest hits compilation, 1, spent eight weeks at no. 1 and sold 13 million copies in its first month of release. Glee doesnt count cause they only do covers!!

- The Beatles recorded four of the Top 10 Greatest Albums of All Time, according to Rolling Stone magazine, and three of the Top Five. Abbey Road was only No. 14

- Paul McCartney actually dreamed the tune to “Yesterday.”

- “Helter Skelter” and “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” are considered two of the first heavy metal songs.

- Their ability to cross over from media and teen idols to musical innovators is one-of-a-kind. Their chart success is unparalleled; but despite their popularity, they managed to continue to improve throughout their career.

- Their place in popular culture is unrivaled – Their movies, their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show (in which they played to 74 million people), the “bigger than Jesus” comment, the refusal to play in concert after 1966, the painstaking production work, the beginnings of the drug culture and LSD fad, “Helter Skelter” and Charles Manson, the “Paul is Dead” phenomenon, Yoko Ono, the rooftop concert, the cover of Abbey Road, andthe subsequent solo years.

- They revolutionized the science of recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Why doesn't everyone put up their fave beatles album and song? I know it's impossible to pick just one song but do it anyway for the craic.

Album: Abbey Road

Song: In my Life

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Favourite Album: Revolver

Favourite Song: A day in the life

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Why doesn't everyone put up their fave beatles album and song? I know it's impossible to pick just one song but do it anyway for the craic.

Album: Abbey Road

Song: In my Life

Maybe a quick word on why they're your favourite? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Don't Let Me Down or I've Got A Feeling or Hey Bulldog.

Prob Abbey Road just for the songs near the end that link into each other. When I first listened to it I hadn't really heard anything else like it. I was young.

And Ringo was by far the most bestest Thomas narrator.

Ringo%20Starr%20narrator%20holding%20thomas%20the%20tank%20engine.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

beatles ...gods

Advertisement