Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5d MK II sensor...

• 23-11-2010 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

...is filthy , and not matter how much wet cleans i do all it seems to do is move the f*cking dust around ....

Pissing me off at this stage, anyone know where I can get this reliably done (preferably walk in) ? ill be back in Dublin next month

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

the_monkey wrote: »
    ...is filthy , and not matter how much wet cleans i do all it seems to do is move the f*cking dust around ....

Pissing me off at this stage, anyone know where I can get this reliably done (preferably walk in) ? ill be back in Dublin next month

What are you cleaning the sensor with ?
    DML in Dublin will clean it for you, they used to do it free. Ring them when you are back in Dublin. Details here www.dml.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The photosol stuff, www.photosol.com

FF swabs and Eclipse (E2) fluid.

So frustrating cos it worked before, and in fact I had it OK last night, but at f/22 i could still see some tiny dots in the corner - stupid I should know i'll never get it 100% clean, and i have made it worse now and have no more swabs...

And those swabs are a rip off -- like €5 each !!! I have no problem paying good money for good quality equipment , what annoys me is paying €5 for something that should be about 25c.

Just ripping off photographers tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I would never use those photosol swabs again. I've used them 3 times and each time they left my sensor worse than when I started, just moving the dirt around and leaving streaks. I use a brush now and it works so much better.

Effects wrote: »
    I would never use those photosol swabs again. I've used them 3 times and each time they left my sensor worse than when I stared, just moving the dirt around and leaving streaks. I use a brush now and it works so much better.

a brush ?
    so is that a dry clean ?

• Advertisement

Yeah. Works better for me than the wet cleans. I got my 5D in April '08 and apart from one wet clean at a canon roadshow about 6 months back I've only used the brush myself and it's come out perfect. I tried the swabs in August '09 and again two months ago and I'd bever use them again.

I have a cheaper one but these are supposed to be pretty good http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=3. I think Pete4130 has one.

Unreal, a place in Barcelona wanted €170 to do a wet clean!!! - The canon service centre !!! I just got an email from DML and they will do it for FREE !!!????

Typical Spain, lets try and F*CK people every time .... unreal...

edit -- oh yeah and only €390 a year for as many cleans as you want !!!! Sick and immoral RIP OFF ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I went out to DML a couple months ago - they're really sound out there and will do it on the spot for free.

Cork_girl wrote: »
    I went out to DML a couple months ago - they're really sound out there and will do it on the spot for free.

Yep , they just emailed me .

• Advertisement

what about the green clean kit ? anyone try that ?

www.sensor-cleaning-system.info

Jesus, I just tried the green clean kit, with the vacuum pump + the wet and dry swabs, still no joy -- what exactly do they do at the dml place ?

edit - ok finally ... gave it another go there and now finally is good enough ... not 100% but a lot better then it had been....

Can only see faint traces when i zoom in at f/22 .... good enough , I rarely shoot narower then f/11 so should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

who are DML? any links?

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    who are DML? any links?

www.dml.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

the_monkey wrote: »
    but at f/22 i could still see some tiny dots in the corner

I know it's a bit off topic, but you're going to see any tiny microscopic dot at f/22, I'd rarely use a stop to small for that very reason, especially if you're shooting something against a plain background or a flat sky etc.

FWIW I use sticky pads called DustAid, I think. Pretty handy out in the bush ...

Advertisement