Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best multi player games on N64

• 23-11-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭

Okay any ideas? Mario kart, goldeneye I'm getting so any other ideas? Also any other really good games on it would be helpful.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You don't see me recommend this game very often but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were good craic in multiplayer.

Used to play a lot of Lylat Wars but realise now it's kind of crap.

By far the most fun multiplayer on the system for me though was Super Smash Bros.

Also Rares classic Blast Corp. was great fun for pass the controller.

Best game on the N64? Sin and Punishment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You don't see me recommend this game very often but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were good craic in multiplayer.

By far the most fun multiplayer on the system for me though was Super Smash Bros.

Also Rares classic Blast Corp. was great fun for pass the controller.

Best game on the N64? Sin and Punishment!

Yeah love the smash bros games. Perfect Dark needs an expansion pack, doesn't it?
    Was Lylat Wars multi player.
    Kinda just looking for games that me and the siblings can have a good laugh with over the holidays.
    I remember a south park game on it too and F-zero. Love F-zero on snes, it was one of the few games I ever bothered to pass on all levels. It wasn't much good on gamecube though. Any good on n64?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yeah love the smash bros games. Perfect Dark needs an expansion pack, doesn't it?

Yeah it does.
    Was Lylat Wars multi player.

It was very limited, four barren arenas to fly in and shoot each other.
    I remember a south park game on it too
    Don't bother it was crap.
    It wasn't much good on gamecube though. Any good on n64?

Take that back! F-zero GX on the Gamecube is robably the finest racer ever made and an absolute classic. The N64 game is just as good, well worth playing although in multiplayer there's no rubber banding so can the best player always wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ado Glass

It was all about Goldeneye, 4 players, Weapons Proximity mines, level Facility! Mines on the inside of the doors in the Gents Bathroom = Soo much fun!:D

Played that games for hours n hours, soo much fun, even still 2day!

Yeah it does.

It was very limited, four barren arenas to fly in and shoot each other.

Don't bother it was crap.

Take that back! F-zero GX on the Gamecube is robably the finest racer ever made and an absolute classic. The N64 game is just as good, well worth playing although in multiplayer there's no rubber banding so can the best player always wins.

Okay the problem I had with it was the soundtrack, it wasn't a patch on the snes game. I repeat not patch.
    Hey I'm all for the best player always winning.

Any decent star wars games on it?

Your now my go to guy or info on the n64. Your going to be sorry.

And whoever mentioned those bleedin' mines, don't bring them up again. Many a game I lost over them, many a game.:(

• Advertisement

Okay the problem I had with it was the soundtrack, it wasn't a patch on the snes game. I repeat not patch.
    Hey I'm all for the best player always winning.(

Have to agree on that point but it was the better game overall for me.

As for star wars games the only one worth playing is Star Wars Episode 1 racer, a fantastic F-zero like game. There's also Shadows of the Empire but it's a truly awful piece of work.

Have to agree on that point but it was the better game overall for me.

As for star wars games the only one worth playing is Star Wars Episode 1 racer, a fantastic F-zero like game. There's also Shadows of the Empire but it's a truly awful piece of work.

I vaguely remember the pod racer game. There was one on the gamecube, I think it was clone wars. It was crap but you could battle in the different vehicles and do some kind of last man standing thing in a pit agaisnt the computer, use to like that.

Is there a destruction derby on it and is it like the one on PS1?

Twisted Metal is that on n64? Or anything like it?

Nothing like that on the N64 or at least nothing in that vein worth playing. Twisted Metal and Destruction derby are Sony games so not on the N64.

Nothing like that on the N64 or at least nothing in that vein worth playing. Twisted Metal and Destruction derby are Sony games so not on the N64.

Ah well. Thanks for the help retro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

lads selling one with loads of games if anyone is interested. thanks
    http://www.adverts.ie/336711/nintendo/nintendo-64-and-a-box-of-gamesloads-and-of-course-controllers/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Oi! , I remember getting a fair amount of milage out of the south park game with my mates, even if its a mario party esq shalllow game.
    It had a decent enough warlords clone built in as well ;)

Oi! , I remember getting a fair amount of milage out of the south park game with my mates, even if its a mario party esq shalllow game.

Hey what are the mario party games like? Ive never played one.

Basically they are board games with minigames at each square. Awful on your own but decent enough in multiplayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Mario Party is great fun with a few friends, the minigames are completely incomprehensible, the rules next to impossible to follow. Brilliant. Perfect multiplayer game, everyone just ends up screaming at each other and getting over excited when they get stars, or steal coins.

Basically they are board games with minigames at each square. Awful on your own but decent enough in multiplayer.

Most games I would be player multiplayer. Don't really play on my own any more. Well except for the first Fable, got carried away there, and recently ed Dead Redemption. Oh and Football manager games, age of empires and a couple of others.

Plugged in my snes for first time in years yesterday and the graphics were nearly better than the n64 on my tele.

Fzero is still a class game, got goosebumps when the music came on for big blue track. Haven't lost the touch either.

Graphics on the SNES look way better than the N64 because they have aged better, especially if you have an RGB cable for the SNES. There's no N64 game that looks anywhere near as good as the better SNES games due to 2D art being some much nicer than poorly defined low polygon characters and maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

we had played the lylat wars multiplayer for 4 years before we realised we werent having fun...

Ah it was fun though. It's just that we could have been playing far better games. Justgoes to show that palying anything with four friends around a TV is always great craic no matter if the game isn't great.

Try that with billy hatcher and the giant egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think you're remembering Chefs Love Shack. The main South Park game was an fps and a very bad one although I do still get a giggle off some of the weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Ado Glass wrote: »
    It was all about Goldeneye, 4 players, Weapons Proximity mines, level Facility! Mines on the inside of the doors in the Gents Bathroom = Soo much fun!:D

Played that games for hours n hours, soo much fun, even still 2day!
    I always thought I was being original putting the mines there. Seems like it was everybody's trick now :P

I just found two game shops near me that sell n64 games for €5! I'm going to load up on them before I'm home for christmas and dig the ol' console out of the attic. I found Rakuga Kids, Blast Corps, Space Station Silicon Valley and a few others that I had completely forgotten about. They'll probs be crap when I go back to play them but sure what the hell - I'll pay a fiver for nostalgia.

Has anybody else ever tried to play Forsaken multiplayer? Serious confusion.
    Actually Duke Nukem 64 has an excellent lulzworthy multiplayer - the DukeBots are the worst (and most terrifying) examples of AI I've ever seen.

Daddio wrote: »
    Blast Corps, Space Station Silicon Valley and a few others that I had completely forgotten about. They'll probs be crap when I go back to play them but sure what the hell - I'll pay a fiver for nostalgia.

Blast Corp and Space Station Silicon Valley are still as good as you remember them.

Played a bit of it on the PC. Some of the game modes were excellent. The gold bar one in particular was great and was basically like oddball in Halo but more fun.

The multiplayer on the consoles was fun but not as good on PC since the levels were way smaller. It's not confusing at all it'sjust at the time console players didn't know keyboard and mouse controls and couldn't control it. Used to absolutely destroy my mates on it and other console FPS games that supported dual analogue controls because they wouldn't play with them despite me telling them how much better it was. Wasn't until Halo when the noobpadders learnt how to play like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

F-ZERO-X!!!!

Great game, especially if you have mates around you can do tournaments. Also has an awesome cheesy 80s guitar soundtrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 tumbling_dice

I always thought I was being original putting the mines there. Seems like it was everybody's trick now :P

I just found two game shops near me that sell n64 games for €5! I'm going to load up on them before I'm home for christmas and dig the ol' console out of the attic. I found Rakuga Kids, Blast Corps, Space Station Silicon Valley and a few others that I had completely forgotten about. They'll probs be crap when I go back to play them but sure what the hell - I'll pay a fiver for nostalgia.

Actually Duke Nukem 64 has an excellent lulzworthy multiplayer - the DukeBots are the worst (and most terrifying) examples of AI I've ever seen.

You found a place in Ireland? Silicon Valley was a lethal game. Blast Corps was pretty fun too. Is this place in Dublin?

Nah, it's in the Netherlands. The games shops are really ordinary looking, but if you walk down the back of the store they generally stock old SNES consoles, N64s, megadrives etc and loads of games for reasonable prices. Haven't been playing much videogames over the past two or three years at all but spotting some of the old classics made me want to give em a go again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

A couple of the wrestling games were very good in multiplayer as well. Wrestlemania 2000 and WCW/NWO Revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think i had bomberman on the N64 which was good fun.

Usual Goldeneye and Mario Kart was the other MP ones i had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Mario Golf, snowboard kids, diddy kong racing, duke nukem 64 and Conkers bad fur day was supposed to have a good multiplayer but i never managed to get the expansion thing for my nintendo 64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I always liked Starfox 64:)
    Deadly Multiplayer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always forget about multiplayer in that. It's a hell of a lot of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I liked wipeout64 as you had four players at the same time, but it still played better on the ps1

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

A couple of the wrestling games were very good in multiplayer as well. Wrestlemania 2000 and WCW/NWO Revenge.

Agreed. We used to have almighty craic with WWF No Mercy back in the day. 4 Player Royal Rumbles etc, class.

Stoner wrote: »
    I liked wipeout64 as you had four players at the same time, but it still played better on the ps1
    Would love to get a copy of Wipeout 64 actually, it looks a laugh, and I loved the ps versions.

I said earlier that there were no destruction derby type games for the N64 but I was wrong. There's actually destruction derby 64 and it's in R.A.G.E. on fade street at the moment.

I said earlier that there were no destruction derby type games for the N64 but I was wrong. There's actually destruction derby 64 and it's in R.A.G.E. on fade street at the moment.

Not anymore it isn't! Got it last week and its not quite what I remember.

• Advertisement

You'll get that a lot with N64 games. How people still think Goldeneye holds up is beyond me. Actually it isn't, those people are just idiots :P

Your debating skills match your intellect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

How would you know? I haven't debated anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How would you know? I haven't debated anything.

LOL You are not quite the post deleting ninja you think you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nothing like Goldeneye and Mario Kart for multiplayer.

There were three of us used to hang around together, so games which you could have more than 2 players were the only way to go. One summer we literally spent every hour of every day for a couple of weeks playing both of these.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    LOL You are not quite the post deleting ninja you think you are.

I mean on this board, with him, in the past few days....

It's one thing to be talking crap about established legendary games, which I could nearly accept. But calling people who like them "idiots" is surely crossing the line, and you would think a mod would know better.

This board is the ONLY retro place I have ever seen someone being so offensive and insulting towards older games.

No game deproves in time. Game graphics are not like a drug, where you have to go higher and higher or get withdrawal symptoms. And even if they were, all you would have to do is stay off the more powerful ones for a while to get the same hit from a less powerful one.

As shown here:

iu

despite initially claiming it, he has never even played the game enough to give any sort of valid opinion on anything to do with it, apart perhaps from how it starts off. Anyone can buzz through agent and part of secret agent in a small few hours, that's just welcoming you into the game and getting you used to it. That is nothing compared to the real heart of the game.

He also calls himself "stupider and more impressionable" when he liked FF7. I think he should just relax, nobody is stupid or an idiot for liking a good game or for liking a bad game.

It does feel silly coming back after all these months talking about almost the exact same thing again, but I do think he should stop calling people like me idiots which he clearly did. Nobody likes it when you diss one of their most beloved games and it evokes a big reaction, which is often just trolling, intentional or not.

Now I'm done, that's all I wanted to say and don't wish to debate the matter.... lest I be accused of trolling myself.

It's one thing to be talking crap about established legendary games, which I could nearly accept. But calling people who like them "idiots" is surely crossing the line, and you would think a mod would know better.

I was talking about visuals here, you took me up wrong. Anyway these are some fairly ****ty graphics:

goldeneye-n64-screen-580px.jpg

If you disagree it will make me make some fairly accurate assumptions about your mental state or else your eye sight.
    This board is the ONLY retro place I have ever seen someone being so offensive and insulting towards older games.

Have a look in the latest copy of retrogamer magazine. In the first page editorial the guys talk about their favourite rare games and at least 3 of them mention how Goldeneye hasn't held up. Games TM and Edge magazine also talk about how influential the game is but how it hasn't held up with age. I'm not the only one. I'm one of the people that can look at these games critically.

Goldeneye for me is like the videogame equivalent of a film like Birth of a Nation. Any film critic will tell you how influential the film was and how it changed cinema and the big impact it had on film after it's release. In the same way I won't deny the massive impact Goldeneye had back in it's day. However with Birth of a Nation it's themes have dated extremely badly and it comes across as one of the most racist films ever made. No critic would call it the best film ever made but itis a film with major historic value and worthy of study. I think Goldeneye definitely has some historic value but it would be very blind and ignorant of me to suggest that it stands tall in a genre that has far surpassed goldeneye.
    No game deproves in time. Game graphics are not like a drug, where you have to go higher and higher or get withdrawal symptoms. And even if they were, all you would have to do is stay off the more powerful ones for a while to get the same hit from a less powerful one.

I agree that graphics aren't important don't make a game but framerate is a vital component to how a gameplays. Why are game developers aiming for 60FPS gameplay as a high point and 30FPS as a compromise? Because anything less feels sluggish, laggy and will negatively affect gameplay. Goldeneyes framerate is on average about 15 FPS which is totally unacceptable. It had to be this way because Goldeneye was built for the specifications that were much higher than the release N64 because Nintendo kept downgrading it's power. Now it just makes the game barely playable. This is pretty much game design 101 and if you do a course in it you'll learn all about compromising art for a playable framerate.
    As shown here:

iu

despite initially claiming it, he has never even played the game enough to give any sort of valid opinion on anything to do with it, apart perhaps from how it starts off. Anyone can buzz through agent and part of secret agent in a small few hours, that's just welcoming you into the game and getting you used to it. That is nothing compared to the real heart of the game.

There's a big difference between assumptions you make and the truth. Do you really honestly think that I have never beaten goldeneye despite being a massive gamer when it was released? There's very few gamers my age that haven't beaten goldeneye. Let me give you the facts again instead of your hearsay quote taken out of context. I beat goldeneye back in 1998 when I used to play it almost every day in my friends house. I beat it on the second hardest difficulty level. I severel doubt I'm missing out on much having not played the hardest difficulty level. Sure I own 2 copies of the game! When I said I stopped playing at the control level it was when I went back to play it a few months ago when I finally got my own N64 and stopped because I had better games to be playing gna wasn't having fun with the game for a long time at that point.

I said the stealth mechanics don't work. You said this shows I didn't beat the game. I say it shows you didn't understand what I said. Stealth is vital in the harder parts of the gameand yes I did use it, never said I didn't. I said they didn't work. They don't work because they are a bit broken and buggy. You can go through most of the level perfectly but the game can then glitch and you will be caught through no fault of your own. The stealth mechanics in MGS and splinter cell work because they are fair and glitch free. Goldeneye on the other hand can throw a dick move in and you'll fail through no fault of your own. It was bad programming but then again stealth in FPS games was a new area. A few months later Thief came out on the PC and made the stealth mechanics in Goldeney look terrible.
    He also calls himself "stupider and more impressionable" when he liked FF7. I think he should just relax, nobody is stupid or an idiot for liking a good game or for liking a bad game.

Well I was back then. I was younger and without the extra 10 years of experience I have now. Also FF7 isn't a bad game. People seem to think that when you say a game is overrated that you are saying it's crap.
    It does feel silly coming back after all these months talking about almost the exact same thing again, but I do think he should stop calling people like me idiots which he clearly did. Nobody likes it when you diss one of their most beloved games and it evokes a big reaction, which is often just trolling, intentional or not.

I wasn't aiming it at you. Here's a song just for you:

I was talking about visuals here, you took me up wrong. Anyway these are some fairly ****ty graphics:

goldeneye-n64-screen-580px.jpg

Oh Sweet Jesus, Mary Mother of God you did NOT just do that....
    If you disagree it will make me make some fairly accurate assumptions about your mental state or else your eye sight.

*gives you an odd look*

lol, are u mad? :)

What the hell is this supposed to be? Those are AMAZING graphics. When I started reading that first I thought you were going to show some screenshot where the graphics were all amiss and the smoke looked horrible, not a perfectly good one like that.

Great graphics are not necessarily realistic ones. They just have to look great. Nobody would ever say those graphics are bad except from you and some people a lot younger than you are.
    Have a look in the latest copy of retrogamer magazine. In the first page editorial the guys talk about their favourite rare games and at least 3 of them mention how Goldeneye hasn't held up. Games TM and Edge magazine also talk about how influential the game is but how it hasn't held up with age. I'm not the only one. I'm one of the people that can look at these games critically.

Personally I think "held up" or "good for its time" are the most ridiculously over-used phrases in videogames. Those phrases are encouraged by the industry of course to get you to buy the latest games, but they're not accurate. Wolfenstein 3D (the original Wolfenstein), is something that doesnt really "hold up", simply because there were technical limitations in that game that made it a limiting game experience. Goldeneye does not have that limitation.
    Goldeneye for me is like the videogame equivalent of a film like Birth of a Nation. Any film critic will tell you how influential the film was and how it changed cinema and the big impact it had on film after it's release. In the same way I won't deny the massive impact Goldeneye had back in it's day. However with Birth of a Nation it's themes have dated extremely badly and it comes across as one of the most racist films ever made. No critic would call it the best film ever made but itis a film with major historic value and worthy of study. I think Goldeneye definitely has some historic value but it would be very blind and ignorant of me to suggest that it stands tall in a genre that has far surpassed goldeneye.

I have never heard of that movie, nor do I really care. I draw the line at silent movies, however I believe movies such as King Kong (1933), Casablanca, I Walked With A Zombie, Psycho and lots of other movies made many, many years ago are often just as good as movies today. I don't like silent movies and wouldn't watch them today, such as how I don't think I would play Doom or Wolfenstein 3D today (I have played them and found what I played of them fun, I'm not really drawn to them though, which I could say about many games today).

Get it? Once the basic technical limitations in the artistic expression are overcome, there is no reason why any game today would be more of a fun experience to Goldeneye. Graphics means very little.
    I agree that graphics aren't important don't make a game but framerate is a vital component to how a gameplays. Why are game developers aiming for 60FPS gameplay as a high point and 30FPS as a compromise? Because anything less feels sluggish, laggy and will negatively affect gameplay.

The reason they do this is because to help with syncing with monitors, as monitors have a finite refresh rate as well. The human eye cannot detect anything higher than about 24 frames per second, maybe 30 at most. Granted, this goes for Goldeneye as well.
    Goldeneyes framerate is on average about 15 FPS which is totally unacceptable. It had to be this way because Goldeneye was built for the specifications that were much higher than the release N64 because Nintendo kept downgrading it's power. Now it just makes the game barely playable. This is pretty much game design 101 and if you do a course in it you'll learn all about compromising art for a playable framerate.

It's higher than 15 fps on average. I have taken mobile phone footage at 15fps and you notice it straightaway. Sure maybe it drops to that sometimes, we knew that already.
    There's a big difference between assumptions you make and the truth. Do you really honestly think that I have never beaten goldeneye despite being a massive gamer when it was released? There's very few gamers my age that haven't beaten goldeneye. Let me give you the facts again instead of your hearsay quote taken out of context. I beat goldeneye back in 1998 when I used to play it almost every day in my friends house. I beat it on the second hardest difficulty level. I severel doubt I'm missing out on much having not played the hardest difficulty level. Sure I own 2 copies of the game! When I said I stopped playing at the control level it was when I went back to play it a few months ago when I finally got my own N64 and stopped because I had better games to be playing gna wasn't having fun with the game for a long time at that point.

Have you beaten Aztecs on Secret Agent difficulty? I'll give you credit for at least having played enough to be able to give a valid opinion on it if you've done that. Check and make sure plz..... :pac:

Your contention that there's very few gamers your age that haven't beaten Goldeneye is ridiculous, the majority of them didn't/don't even have N64s. Shur you never even beat it yourself!!!!

It's not the same as choosing "hard" in an FPS and beating that instead of beating it on "very hard". In a game like Goldeneye you cannot access all the levels or truly beat it unless you do it on 00 Agent.
    I said the stealth mechanics don't work. You said this shows I didn't beat the game. I say it shows you didn't understand what I said. Stealth is vital in the harder parts of the gameand yes I did use it, never said I didn't. I said they didn't work. They don't work because they are a bit broken and buggy. You can go through most of the level perfectly but the game can then glitch and you will be caught through no fault of your own.

Wrong, some people can get through them 100% of the time. I myself have played this game heaps and there is never a glitch.
    A few months later Thief came out on the PC and made the stealth mechanics in Goldeney look terrible.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!! Highly siggable.

Good at least some proper debate and no name calling.
    What the hell is this supposed to be? Those are AMAZING graphics. When I started reading that first I thought you were going to show some screenshot where the graphics were all amiss and the smoke looked horrible, not a perfectly good one like that.

Great graphics are not necessarily realistic ones. They just have to look great. Nobody would ever say those graphics are bad except from you and some people a lot younger than you are.

No good graphics aren't necessarily realistic ones but goldeneye went for a realistic look and it hasn't held up. I played through another world recently. The graphics in that are very old with characters that have less polygons than I have fingers on my hands. However the creator went for a stylised unrealistic look and therefore the graphics have held up and not aged and still look fantastic. If you make a game look realistic it's going to be surpassed and will look bad in years to come. It's good art that will keep a games graphics ageless. The latest Call of Duty games are going to look laughable in a few years time whereas Okami will always be gorgeous looking.

At the time realistic graphics were a good choice for Goldeneye but in legacy terms it hasn't held up. The best looking games on the N64 are the ones with stylised graphics that didn't push the hardware too much and have to have terrible framerates. Games like Mario 64 and Starfox 64 still look great but anything that went for a realistic look on the N64now looks dated and poor.
    Personally I think "held up" or "good for its time" are the most ridiculously over-used phrases in videogames. Those phrases are encouraged by the industry of course to get you to buy the latest games, but they're not accurate. Wolfenstein 3D (the original Wolfenstein), is something that doesnt really "hold up", simply because there were technical limitations in that game that made it a limiting game experience. Goldeneye does not have that limitation.

You say that games don't age and hold up over time yet prove yourself wrong by saying that Wolfenstein 3D hasn't held up? You're not doing your debating skills any favours. I totally agree with you that Wolfenstein 3D hasn't held up and it was technical limitations. I also think that goldeneye is held back by technical limitations. The low framerate makes the game play sluggishly, the AI is terrible and some of the level design is questionable (and other times inspired but there are some very poor levels).

A game like Doom though I feel hasn't aged a bit and has more technical limitations than Goldeneye. It's because Id made a game around these limitations. AI was even worse but they added simple elements like infighting and tonnes of enemies on screen. the world was essentially 2D but they designed levels around it made them interesting even if they couldn't create rooms over rooms.

Goldeneye wasn't designed around it's limitations. Graphical quality was kept high which had negative effects on both AI and the playability of the game. Sure Goldeneye couldn't have been made on the N64 without these compromises but it doesn't excuse the negatives it had. Bad AI is bad AI even if the console could do better or if it was pushed so hard there wasn't anyway it could be improved.

I have never heard of that movie, nor do I really care. I draw the line at silent movies, however I believe movies such as King Kong (1933), Casablanca, I Walked With A Zombie, Psycho and lots of other movies made many, many years ago are often just as good as movies today. I don't like silent movies and wouldn't watch them today, such as how I don't think I would play Doom or Wolfenstein 3D today (I have played them and found what I played of them fun, I'm not really drawn to them though, which I could say about many games today).

Just like in movies there's dated movies and there's movies that will remain classics. All the movies you mention are classics and haven't aged except King Kong. In myopinion it's another very important landmark in cinema but hasn't held up. Some of it is technical reasons like the special effects, amazing back then but shoddy now. It's got historical relevance just like goldeneye. I can look at king kong and enjoy it and I can play Goldeneye and enjoy that now but I'd be wrong to say that either is the best film of game or even the best in their genre. There's better monster movies than king kong and there's better FPS games than goldeneye.
    Get it? Once the basic technical limitations in the artistic expression are overcome, there is no reason why any game today would be more of a fun experience to Goldeneye. Graphics means very little.

Yes I know but as I mentioned there's more problems with Goldeneye than graphical problems. There's plenty of gameplay problems. Some poor level design in quite a few areas, bad AI, poor stealth mechanics, sluggish controls due to framerate, respawning enemies, one of the worst protection missions ever. Those are all gameplay related than graphical. PFS gaming has come a long way and has been done a whole lot better than goldeneye. I'm not just talking about graphics here that have very little to do with it.

A game like Super Mario Bros or Robotron 2084 have some very dated graphics but are still classics that are as fun to play today as the have always been.
    The reason they do this is because to help with syncing with monitors, as monitors have a finite refresh rate as well. The human eye cannot detect anything higher than about 24 frames per second, maybe 30 at most. Granted, this goes for Goldeneye as well.

It's higher than 15 fps on average. I have taken mobile phone footage at 15fps and you notice it straightaway. Sure maybe it drops to that sometimes, we knew that already.

It's nothing to do with monitor syncing issues. If the framerate is low the console will tear frames or slow the game down to cope. Goldeneye will output 25 FPS on PAL consoles but will be running at 15FPS. It copes with this by displaying some frames twice. This has the effect of slowing the game right down. The display will seem smooth and the frames aren't torn since you are getting 25 frames but the game runs at 15-20 FPS so about 40% of these frames are copies of the previous frame. The game then runs slower than full speed making the game feel laggy and sluggish.

This is a fact and if you don't believe me that this happens then go play the N64 version of Perfect Dark and then straight after the 360 version of Perfect Dark, there's a demo so no need to buy it. You'll notice how much faster the game is and how much smoother it is to control. I'm not even going to argue with you about how framerate negatively affects the game experience until you try this and read the digital foundry articles on eurogamer because it's just plain wrong to think it doesn't.

Also if you think Goldeneye is running constantly at its full framerate then try this out. Play the game as normal and get used to the speed of it. Then walk up to a wall and look directly at the wall texture so nothing else is showing. You'll get about a 20% jump in framerate and the game becomes a lot more responsive. I'm pretty sure even the music will speed up as well.
    Have you beaten Aztecs on Secret Agent difficulty? I'll give you credit for at least having played enough to be able to give a valid opinion on it if you've done that. Check and make sure plz..... :pac:.

Yes I have beaten it, it's a bonus level you get for beating the game. Took me a very long time to get through it and it was infuriatingly tough.
    Your contention that there's very few gamers your age that haven't beaten Goldeneye is ridiculous, the majority of them didn't/don't even have N64s.

You are obviously getting my age totally wrong. I was 15 back when Goldeneye was released, let me tell you nearly every 15 year old back then was playing goldeneye or playing it in there mates.
    It's not the same as choosing "hard" in an FPS and beating that instead of beating it on "very hard". In a game like Goldeneye you cannot access all the levels or truly beat it unless you do it on 00 Agent.

Well if I wasn't really enjoying the main gameplay I very much doubt that playing on a higher difficulty will change my mind on the game. I was told legendary makes Halo much better. It doesn't, it's BS. I was sick of goldeneye on the lower difficulties, making it more frustrating isn't going to solve anything.
    Wrong, some people can get through them 100% of the time. I myself have played this game heaps and there is never a glitch.

Yes if you do it the same way every time it will work but there are situations in the game where stealth should work but it doesn't and there's a reason people don't try these in perfect runs.
    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!! Highly siggable.

You've never played thief. It's one of the best games I've ever played and the stealth mechanics are fantastic. It's an infinitely better game than goldeneye and the graphics are just as shoddy. If you haven't played the game your argument is null and void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Daith

You've never played thief. It's one of the best games I've ever played and the stealth mechanics are fantastic. It's an infinitely better game than goldeneye and the graphics are just as shoddy. If you haven't played the game your argument is null and void.

Oh Thief is fantastic. You cant really compare the sneaking elements there to Goldeneye at all. And I quite enjoyed Goldeneye.

Anyway best multiplayer game on N64 was probably WWF No Mercy. Great fun altogether and one of my fave games.

I'm pretty much in agreement on Goldeneye, after playing through it again recently, some things really stand out as awful. The Bunker levels and their respawnng enemies coupled with the awful stealth that just never worked right made me want to hurl the controller at the tv.

Train level is still great though (except the end, I always run out of watch laser)
    Well if I wasn't really enjoying the main gameplay I very much doubt that playing on a higher difficulty will change my mind on the game. I was told legendary makes Halo much better. It doesn't, it's BS. I was sick of goldeneye on the lower difficulties, making it more frustrating isn't going to solve anything.

Blows my mind when people say that. Better on legendary? Because the AI is better is it? WELL WHY DIDN'T YOUR ALMIGHTY GODS BUNGIE MAKE THE DAMNED AI GOOD IN NORMAL MODE???

The stealth never worked right for you because you couldn't do it.

I've read your post Retr0gamer and my only comments are: 1) Everything you have said about FPS and the game speeding up is nonsense you just invented on the spot along with a RIDICULOUS strawman argument. I NEVER said or implied that higher framerate didn't help. 2) You obviously didn't understand my analogy between Silent movies and the very technically limited starting games of the FPS genre like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. I stated that I didn't much like Silent movies, and I don't much like the very first FPS games, although I can tend to enjoy them a little. Goldeneye would be a non-silent classical, old movie. What part of the analogy don't you get?

Blows my mind when people say that. Better on legendary? Because the AI is better is it? WELL WHY DIDN'T YOUR ALMIGHTY GODS BUNGIE MAKE THE DAMNED AI GOOD IN NORMAL MODE???

They didn't make the AI better though. They take more damage, deal more damage, throw more grenades and fire faster but the AI is the exact same.
    I've read your post Retr0gamer and my only comments are: 1) Everything you have said about FPS and the game speeding up is nonsense you just invented on the spot along with a RIDICULOUS strawman argument. I NEVER said or implied that higher framerate didn't help. 2) You obviously didn't understand my analogy between Silent movies and the very technically limited starting games of the FPS genre like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. I stated that I didn't much like Silent movies, and I don't much like the very first FPS games, although I can tend to enjoy them a little. Goldeneye would be a non-silent classical, old movie. What part of the analogy don't you get?

To answer you questions:

1) Try and see if I'm wrong. I'm not. The game definitely speeds up when you do it.

2) I get your analogy, you didn't get my one either. For me anyway Goldeneye is the silent movie where this sub genre 0f FPS is just finding its feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jebus, I don't which would take longer finishing goldeneye on expert or reading all these posts.

For me I don't think it is a good game at all anymore.

However It provided me with as much fun as any game ever did at the time. I never finished it on expert either, it was truly great value, and a super game It's just not something I'd ever go back to now.

On a different note, my pile of gamecube games is only 1.5 games short of going from the floor to the ceiling, I bought some filler sports games on adverts to to make the pile bigger.

We need pics of the fort when you finish it!

You are building a gamecube fort, right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement